PDA

View Full Version : Tearful but proud daughter salutes Col MN Rai

Deltacamelately
30 Jan 15,, 08:18
Tearful but proud daughter salutes braveheart Col MN Rai (http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/india/Tearful-but-proud-daughter-salutes-braveheart-Col-MN-Rai/articleshow/46060211.cms)Times of India-11 hours ago
NEW DELHI: Emotions ran high as Colonel Munindra Nath Rai, killed by militants on Tuesday in Kashmir, was laid to rest at the Brar Square ...

Tearful but proud daughter salutes braveheart Col MN Rai - The Times of India (http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/india/Tearful-but-proud-daughter-salutes-braveheart-Col-MN-Rai/articleshow/46060211.cms)

Rest in Peace!

A very proud and brave soldier lost.

Oracle
30 Jan 15,, 09:08
R.I.P. Colonel!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyGw9aSXaFI

bolo121
30 Jan 15,, 09:08
RIP
A sad loss of a fine man.

Delta Sir, is it usual for unit commanders to lead such operations directly?
I thought that was what Lts, Capts and Majors were for.

Deltacamelately
30 Jan 15,, 09:57
We have ample Officers who still take in on themselves to lead their men from the front.

Deltacamelately
30 Jan 15,, 09:58
Colonel Rai was not on a killing spree. He was trying to get the insurgents surrender.

Officer of Engineers
30 Jan 15,, 15:41
Present Arms.

Blademaster
30 Jan 15,, 16:25
RIP the late Col.

TopHatter
30 Jan 15,, 22:29
A horrible loss, one that will hopefully be avenged. :frown:

Deltacamelately
31 Jan 15,, 07:40
RR has been taking some serious hits of late. In most cases the casualties have been in trying to avoid collateral damage. In this case too a family stepped out. Cowards.

I personally want the gloves getting off in such cases, in the future of course.:mad:

Officer of Engineers
31 Jan 15,, 07:45
Colonel,

You can't. The ONLY way you can win this ... as to show you have more honour than they have blood.

citanon
31 Jan 15,, 08:40
Rest In Peace.

Deltacamelately
31 Jan 15,, 08:46
Colonel,

You can't. The ONLY way you can win this ... as to show you have more honour than they have blood.
Sir,

That's exactly what the InA has been doing for all these years. I have a feeling that mopping the floor alone won't solve things. The running taps are the ones to be closed.

Deltacamelately
31 Jan 15,, 08:50
Also the Indian Army's casualty appetite has been pretty high for ages. Time to scale it down and lower the tolerance aspect as well. It takes decades to groom such fine soldiers and then waste them in a trifle.

Oracle
31 Jan 15,, 17:46
Also the Indian Army's casualty appetite has been pretty high for ages. Time to scale it down and lower the tolerance aspect as well. It takes decades to groom such fine soldiers and then waste them in a trifle.

I have always been saying that no mercy should be shown to terrorists. They are better dead. This fuck shot the Colonel from the back, while the Colonel was engaged in talks with the terrorist's father for the douche to surrender. Our politicians never learn. Why not declare to the world, to everyone, that any single terrorist attack and we'll be marching into Rawalpindi. When do we say nuff'?

lemontree
09 Feb 15,, 11:38
Every death is a loss. Every incident a new lesson.
This this the human cost that a nation pay for its freedom.

antimony
10 Feb 15,, 00:14

Col. Delta,

The fact that the InA cares about collateral damage and is willing to put the blood of men and officers in line, instead of making do air strikes like some other in the neighbourhood, is what makes us all proud of our army.

Yes, it is sad that our soldiers and officers get martyred, but I would submit that that should be resolved by getting people out of insurgency rather than placing less stress on collateral damage

Blademaster
10 Feb 15,, 00:18
Col. Delta,

The fact that the InA cares about collateral damage and is willing to put the blood of men and officers in line, instead of making do air strikes like some other in the neighbourhood, is what makes us all proud of our army.

Yes, it is sad that our soldiers and officers get martyred, but I would submit that that should be resolved by getting people out of insurgency rather than placing less stress on collateral damage

Patton and his followers would strongly disagree with you (and count me as one of them). Here's one of his quote,
I want you to remember, that no poor dumb bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it, by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country.

antimony
10 Feb 15,, 02:49
Patton and his followers would strongly disagree with you (and count me as one of them). Here's one of his quote,

We are talking about collateral damage, i.e. non-combatants. Patton would have put himself in the line of fire to save them. Shooting at innocents is not heroics, saving them is. And that is why we have the Indian Army, not the Pakistani one.

Deltacamelately
10 Feb 15,, 14:37
Col. Delta,

Antimony,

My point is about the leaderships tolerance level. Nobody I know is itching to get trigger happy. They just want a free hand while dealing with the fkcks while people deliberate on why to remove AFSPA.

Officer of Engineers
10 Feb 15,, 17:11
Colonel,

I'm not reading the same book. What do you mean by "free hand?"

Cactus
10 Feb 15,, 17:57
I'm not reading the same book. What do you mean by "free hand?"

Sir, IIRC, their standard policy for many years is that local Kashmiri terrorists are encouraged to negotiate a surrender to the senior-most officer commanding the operations (as an assurance to the tango and the intermediaries that it is a legit offer); by contrast the foreign terrorists are killed immediately. In this case the tango's father and brother assured the COL that he was willing to surrender, and when the COL approached him the COL was killed through treachery. "Free Hand" can mean many things, but mostly it is a call to give more initiative to the lower ranks to assess the risks and make small deviations from the playbook so that operations don't become too predictable and thus exploitable.

Officer of Engineers
10 Feb 15,, 18:11
Sir, IIRC, their standard policy for many years is that local Kashmiri terrorists are encouraged to negotiate a surrender to the senior-most officer commanding the operations (as an assurance to the tango and the intermediaries that it is a legit offer); by contrast the foreign terrorists are killed immediately. In this case the tango's father and brother assured the COL that he was willing to surrender, and when the COL approached him the COL was killed through treachery. "Free Hand" can mean many things, but mostly it is a call to give more initiative to the lower ranks to assess the risks and make small deviations from the playbook so that operations don't become too predictable and thus exploitable.Thank you.

Deltacamelately
12 Feb 15,, 12:31
Sir, IIRC, their standard policy for many years is that local Kashmiri terrorists are encouraged to negotiate a surrender to the senior-most officer commanding the operations (as an assurance to the tango and the intermediaries that it is a legit offer); by contrast the foreign terrorists are killed immediately. In this case the tango's father and brother assured the COL that he was willing to surrender, and when the COL approached him the COL was killed through treachery. "Free Hand" can mean many things, but mostly it is a call to give more initiative to the lower ranks to assess the risks and make small deviations from the playbook so that operations don't become too predictable and thus exploitable.
Thanks Cactus. I couldn't put it better.