Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saudi Arabia's King Abdullah bin Abdulaziz has died

You heard it here first...
    "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Reported by CNN, BBC, et al.

"Let the games begin."

CNN talking about the Saudis sending troops into Yemen not today or tomorrow, but soon. CNN says no reaction yet from the White House or State Department.

Comment

The most important question is: how do I make money from this?

Comment

Should be interesting
        sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

Originally posted by gunnut View Post
          The most important question is: how do I make money from this?
          if you're in the risky mindset, make a bet on oil

Comment

someone give me a brief run down on the potential significance please, with the assumption of full ignorance.

sounds like it could be a straight forward change of hands...
            Last edited by tantalus; 23 Jan 15,, 01:15.

Comment

Originally posted by tantalus View Post
              someone give me a brief run down on the potential significance please, with the assumption of full ignorance.

Yemen's president just "quit." The country's rebel is overrunning the capital. Yemen is next to Saudi Arabia.

Saudi king just died. There's a new king. We don't know what he will do. Maybe continue with the old policies? Maybe something new. We just don't know.

Financial world is very sensitive to anything unexpected. A bunch of fund managers might sell tomorrow to protect their gains from today. Or they might not. I hope there's a big selloff tomorrow.

Comment

It could be.

But you're having a change in power for one of the major regional powerbrokers when they have three civil wars going on at states surrounding them.

Comment

I would expect an orderly transition of power to Salman as the process had started some time ago. He's 79 years old, so I don't expect a lot of radical reforms. Allowing women to drive would be nice.
                  He's inheriting a lot of problems to be sure, tumbling oil prices and anarchy in Yemen not the least among them.

Comment

it's time for a coup and end the monarch govt. Lets Cheer up Republic of Saudi Arabia
                    sajeevpearlj.blogspot.com

Comment

It probably will be, but putting a guy who is near 80 on the throne simpy kicks the can down he road a bit on succession. There are a gaggle of princes sitting below this guy & his appointed successor all posturing for position. Any leadership change in such a key regional player has the potential to create messes down the road.
                      sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

There is an opportunity here.For the Caliphate to take Mecca,Medina and plenty of oil.Because the Saudi armed forces aren't much better than Iraqis or Syrians.While the population of KSA is psychologically closer to the Caliphate than the rest.Wahhabism has been their bread and water and it's the sort of Islam the Caliphate preaches and practices.
                        Those who know don't speak
                        He said to them, "But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one. Luke 22:36

Comment

RIP

And

I really doubt this will change anything within KSA.

Comment

There are two successors, both old. In ten to fifteen years they are going to have to move to the next generation. That's when things will get VERY interesting.
                            In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

From what I read of the new chappie Salman, thinks are probably oing to move backwards from whatever "reforms" Abdullah had initiated.

But this bit, from UK, confused the heck out of me.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/1e3af79c-a...#axzz3PnyL53U6

High quality global journalism requires investment. Please share this article with others using the link below, do not cut & paste the article. See our Ts&Cs and Copyright Policy for more detail. Email [email protected] to buy additional rights. http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/1e3af79c-a...#ixzz3Pnzh6uDf

The British government’s decision to fly flags at half mast to mark the death of King Abdullah of Saudi Arabia has been widely criticised, with one MP calling it “an extraordinary misjudgment”.
                              "Extraordinary misjudgment" is probably putting it lightly. why the hell go about lowering flags for a foreign king?
                              "Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" ~ Epicurus

Comment

Working...
                              X