PDA

View Full Version : Iraqi Airforce- Weren' they suppose to fly???

bull
28 Jun 05,, 11:20
Looks like a MIg 25 - !!!

ASG
28 Jun 05,, 13:28
Flogger? LOL!!

Why did Saddam had it buried like that? People are supposed to be buried in mass graves not fighters?? No wonder the regime collapsed. Heh..

dalem
28 Jun 05,, 17:32
Best thing he ever did for his pilots.

-dale

dave angel
29 Jun 05,, 16:58
not being a spotter i have to ask: if you bury a plane like that - crudely - in order to protect it from some current threat, what are the chances of it ever flying again?

TopHatter
29 Jun 05,, 22:23
not being a spotter i have to ask: if you bury a plane like that - crudely - in order to protect it from some current threat, what are the chances of it ever flying again?

Good question. I guess it all depends if anything, like say the vital systems, were sealed before having tons of sand dumped on them.

At best, the only protection burying them offered was denying the aircraft to the coalition, either capture or destruction.

Mission UNaccomplished :tongue:

Leader
30 Jun 05,, 05:52
At best, the only protection burying them offered was denying the aircraft to the coalition, either capture or destruction.

And of course we invaded Iraq to steal their technologically advanced aircraft. Saddam's people are always one step ahead of us.

TopHatter
30 Jun 05,, 14:12
And of course we invaded Iraq to steal their technologically advanced aircraft. Saddam's people are always one step ahead of us.

Yeah aint that the truth, 30 year old MiG-25 Foxbats :biggrin:

hello
30 Jun 05,, 17:18
That's what I call cowerdism. Whats the use of burying an interceptor to try to save it from enemies when interceptors are supposed to hunt for enemies?
:rolleyes:

visioninthedark
12 Jul 05,, 11:52
That's what I call cowerdism. Whats the use of burying an interceptor to try to save it from enemies when interceptors are supposed to hunt for enemies?
:rolleyes:

because camel jockeys got a thing for sand .... :biggrin:

TopHatter
12 Jul 05,, 18:12
because camel jockeys got a thing for sand .... :biggrin:

Well, this camel jockey does NOT have a thing for sand, especially when it gets into my eyes and under my contact lenses. Time to look into LASIK. :biggrin:

Wraith601
16 Jul 05,, 07:17
Makes you wonder what else is buried in the sands of Iraq.

Bill
17 Jul 05,, 15:48
"Flogger? LOL!!"

That would be a FOXBAT.

TopHatter
17 Jul 05,, 17:13
"Flogger? LOL!!"

That would be a FOXBAT.

ahem...I wasnt going to say anything *looking the other way* :redface:

leib10
17 Jul 05,, 18:06
Good question. I guess it all depends if anything, like say the vital systems, were sealed before having tons of sand dumped on them.

Mission UNaccomplished :tongue:

Or they just could've blown it up. :tongue:

bigross86
17 Jul 05,, 19:47
The Iraqi Air Force motto: I came, I saw, Iran

hammer
17 Jul 05,, 19:48
The Iraqi Air Force motto: I came, I saw, Iran

:biggrin: .... thats a good one.

leib10
17 Jul 05,, 20:08
If the Iraqi Air Force is like what we will be facing in the future, I gues Erich Hartmann's record of 352 kills will stand forever.

bigross86
17 Jul 05,, 23:06
What? 352 kills? What are you talking about? The pilot with the most recorded kills ever is Major General Giora Epstein (http://www.answers.com/main/ntquery;jsessionid=1jc5aj3h692l4?method=4&dsid=2222&dekey=Giora+Epstein&gwp=8&curtab=2222_1&sbid=lc03b), who shot down 17 (seventeen) jet planes, holding the world record of jets shot down.

bigross86
17 Jul 05,, 23:08
I stand corrected. Call me stupid. Giora Epstein is the leading ace of JET fighter kills. Erich Hartmann has 352 kills.

TopHatter
18 Jul 05,, 01:49
If the Iraqi Air Force is like what we will be facing in the future, I gues Erich Hartmann's record of 352 kills will stand forever.

No it won't be and yes it probably will. :)

leib10
18 Jul 05,, 02:24
The reason for this is because fewer planes are required to do the same jobs asked of them when compared to how many planes it took 50 years ago. Fewer planes means fewer targets, and besides, the US blows up most of the enemy air force on the ground anyway (ODS).

-{SpoonmaN}-
18 Jul 05,, 06:41
Yep Hartmann shot down 352 Soviet aircraft, 11 of them in one day. And I'm sure there'll be another air war in the future between developed nations with decent aircraft, especially since there will be more developed nations in the world in the future. And I think the record will stand until the end of Human history.

Bluesman
18 Jul 05,, 08:08
Yep Hartmann shot down 352 Soviet aircraft, 11 of them in one day. And I'm sure there'll be another air war in the future between developed nations with decent aircraft, especially since there will be more developed nations in the world in the future. And I think the record will stand until the end of Human history.

I got to meet Hartmann and Boyington one memorable evening in 1977. They were doing tours through Hilton hotels, and my buddy and I talked his dad into taking us over to Dallas to catch the appearance. Cool.

TopHatter
18 Jul 05,, 13:03
I got to meet Hartmann and Boyington one memorable evening in 1977. They were doing tours through Hilton hotels, and my buddy and I talked his dad into taking us over to Dallas to catch the appearance. Cool.

Lucky bastage :redface:

I would have loved to meet both of them.

A buddy of mine was at some kind of appearance or convention etc and got to meet and greet with General Adolf Galland. Craig (my buddy) said that General Galland was witty, friendly and gracious. He also got Galland to autograph his book for him.

And now they're all gone.... :frown:

Bill
19 Jul 05,, 04:05
"What are you talking about? The pilot with the most recorded kills ever is Major General Giora Epstein, who shot down 17 (seventeen) jet planes, holding the world record of jets shot down."

Not even close BR.

leib10
19 Jul 05,, 06:22
Lucky bastage :redface:

I would have loved to meet both of them.

A buddy of mine was at some kind of appearance or convention etc and got to meet and greet with General Adolf Galland. Craig (my buddy) said that General Galland was witty, friendly and gracious. He also got Galland to autograph his book for him.

And now they're all gone.... :frown:

It's a true shame. Hartmann in particular was a fine human being. I read the biography of his life, The Blonde Knight of Germany, and it is a fascinating read, not only concerning his combat record but also and perhaps moreso his internment in the Gulag Archipelago. I highly recommend it.

bigross86
19 Jul 05,, 10:59
"What are you talking about? The pilot with the most recorded kills ever is Major General Giora Epstein, who shot down 17 (seventeen) jet planes, holding the world record of jets shot down."

Not even close BR.

I know. I realized my mistake about two minutes later and corrected it in the next post I made.