Lincoln

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lincoln

While it's been out for a while, I'm curious to hear folks' thoughts on Spielberg's "Lincoln." I think it was done fantastically, and it's motivated me to being writing a paper about the subject of the movie - the 13th Amendment. I think it speaks to Lincoln's political and strategic genius. What say ye?
    "So little pains do the vulgar take in the investigation of truth, accepting readily the first story that comes to hand." Thucydides 1.20.3

Originally posted by Shek View Post
    While it's been out for a while, I'm curious to hear folks' thoughts on Spielberg's "Lincoln." I think it was done fantastically, and it's motivated me to being writing a paper about the subject of the movie - the 13th Amendment. I think it speaks to Lincoln's political and strategic genius. What say ye?
    Fantastically done as you say. Excellent writing, direction and performances. I daresay Daniel Day-Lewis is the Laurence Olivier of our time.

In the supporting cast, two stand-outs for me were Jackie Earle Haley's Alexander Stephens and James Spader's William Bilbo.

I thought the creative team did a very good job of remaining true to the historical record while still making a watchable, entertaining motion picture.

Personally I would recommend the movie to anybody and your paper on the 13th Amendment will be much anticipated by yours truly.
    Last edited by TopHatter; 21 Sep 14,, 02:01.
    “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Originally posted by Shek View Post
      Excellent film. managed the remarkable feat of making a complex political & legal process both accessible & interesting. Also humanized people who usually appear as still photos & quotes in books. Well written, well acted & well directed.

Look forward to reading that paper Shek.
      sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

Originally posted by TopHatter View Post
        Fantastically done as you say. Excellent writing, direction and performances. I daresay Daniel Day-Lewis is the Laurence Olivier of our time.

In the supporting cast, two stand-outs for me were Jackie Earle Haley's Alexander Stephens and James Spader's William Bilbo.
        I love Spader's portrayal of William Bilbo. He should have won the Academy Award for supporting actor. I couldn't imagine Bilbo being anything else. Of course, Daniel's portrayal of Lincoln was simply superb.

Watched the movie like 50 times through the cable channels and never got tired of it with each watching. One of my top 5 movies.

Comment

Working...
        X