Scotland votes NO for independance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scotland votes NO for independance

What now for the jocks with a no vote , at the moment the UK is still , the UK , suits me .

It's No: Scotland votes to stay in UK - YouTube

Cameron stuffed this up from the start. Poorly planned & woefully campaigned. Not sure labor comes out much better. Probably lucky the Scots are smarter than both of them & that the guy running the 'yes' case was worse. I'll be curious to see if there is any fallout for Cameron in particular.
    sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

45-55 is a close call.

Just a difference of 5.

Comment

I am really glad about this. Not just because we do not need any more headaches in that part f the world, but this might have raised uncomfortable questions from separatists all across the world
        "Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" ~ Epicurus

Comment

Originally posted by Batista View Post
          45-55 is a close call.

Just a difference of 5.
          Maths not your strong point?

Comment

Originally posted by Bigfella View Post
            Cameron stuffed this up from the start. Poorly planned & woefully campaigned. Not sure labor comes out much better. Probably lucky the Scots are smarter than both of them & that the guy running the 'yes' case was worse. I'll be curious to see if there is any fallout for Cameron in particular.
            Said this on F/B mate , camoron will make the yes voters suffer now for pissin up his back ,im not sure where the jocks will go from here , if anywhere , ? Faslane remains , a good thing for the UK , still must wait n see how this all plays out now .

Comment

Originally posted by snapper View Post
              Maths not your strong point?
              I think what he means is that it only takes a 5 point swing to even it up - which is correct. That is WAY to close for something this important.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by tankie View Post
                Said this on F/B mate , camoron will make the yes voters suffer now for pissin up his back ,im not sure where the jocks will go from here , if anywhere , ? Faslane remains , a good thing for the UK , still must wait n see how this all plays out now .
                He promised 'Devo-Max' in a desperate attempt to keep them in. He needs to honor that. Despite Salmond being a tool, the big winner here is the SNP. They may well win control at Holyrood (?) next time there is an election. If Cameron keeps his word they will more or less run Scotland as an independent state. If he renegs they will use that to whip up nationalist sentiment & next time there is a vote (and if Cameron breaks his promise there will be a next time) the result will be different.

Had Cameron not been such a huge fuck up he could have kept the status quo. My bet is that within the Tory party he is already wounded by this. Just a question of how badly.
                sigpic

Comment

I'll be curious to see if there is any fallout for Cameron in particular.
                  frankly if this was a partisan decision by Cameron he would have campaigned for the YES folks. an independent Scotland would mean pretty much Tory domination of the remainder of the UK for, well....forever.
                  There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

Originally posted by astralis View Post
                    frankly if this was a partisan decision by Cameron he would have campaigned for the YES folks. an independent Scotland would mean pretty much Tory domination of the remainder of the UK for, well....forever.
                    Noooooooooooooooooooooooo asty , peeps r sick to death of this co,alition which is tory dominated , the way they have allowed the country to aspire to lower than a snakes bollox is finally waking voters up to our govt elected to serve ,,,,,not dictate to

Comment

They were expecting a closer vote...55-45 was described as a "comfortable" margin.

As a rather distant Scot myself (Reviresco!), my opinion isn't terribly important....BUT, I'll say I'm glad Scotland is still part of the United Kingdom.
                      “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

tankie,

Noooooooooooooooooooooooo asty , peeps r sick to death of this co,alition which is tory dominated ,
                        heh, the domination would have been so much that the Tories wouldn't even need the Lib Dems anymore.
                        There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

1. As I posted on Facebook....my ancestors at Bannockburn and Culloden would vote AYE. But the 1980s-present me who has serverd with the British Amry off and on since 1981 and have made saveral visits throughout GB would say NAE.

2. My Belhaven is safe. Would have hated to see what would have happenned to my favorite beer and a tariff increase.

3. As I told my wife, if Scotland had gone its own way I predicted Ulster as part of Irish Republic within 20 years and a Replublic of Wales shortly thereafter.
                          “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
                          Mark Twain

Comment

And then Cornwall .

Comment

Originally posted by tankie View Post
                              And then Cornwall .
                              Imagine the import duty on the pasties!!!
                              “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
                              Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                              X