Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• India by-elections: Setback for ruling BJP

BBC News - India by-elections: Setback for ruling BJP

India's Narendra Modi-led BJP has suffered a setback in its first electoral test since its landslide win in May, as votes are counted in recently held by-elections.

The party lost eight of the 11 seats in the key state of Uttar Pradesh and three of the four seats in Rajasthan.

Polling was held last week for three parliamentary and 33 state assembly seats in nine states.

Twenty-four of the 33 assembly seats were so far held by the BJP.
    Looks like BJP is getting a setback on the seats it had won just a few months back.

I am wondering if this is because of the fact that the Modi-wave and Modi agenda was not present this time around, and instead divisive communal politics and stupid tag lines like Love Jihad came in play.
    "Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" ~ Epicurus

I didn't quite see the aggression in these by-polls, what the BJP did before the Lok Sabha elections. It was a blitzkrieg then, and a flop-show now. And the communal rantings backfired on them. I don't understand why Mr. Modi doesn't tell the Hindutva trolls to shut up. It's harming his image. Love Jihad, I have doubts regarding that. I'm not sure if it's a reality or a divisive story drafted to polarize voters. Not much is known about it.
    Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Comment

What Prime Minister Narendra Modi can learn from the by-election results

UP voters give thumbs-down to divisive politics, Love Jihad

DE, polarization didn't work. What's your take on this? People have started using their brains?
      Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Comment

Originally posted by Oracle View Post
        I didn't quite see the aggression in these by-polls, what the BJP did before the Lok Sabha elections. It was a blitzkrieg then, and a flop-show now. And the communal rantings backfired on them. I don't understand why Mr. Modi doesn't tell the Hindutva trolls to shut up. It's harming his image. Love Jihad, I have doubts regarding that. I'm not sure if it's a reality or a divisive story drafted to polarize voters. Not much is known about it.
        Oracle,

this was mainly in UP, so I am not surprised that you did not see much in Bangalore. However, I have been following this love jihad crap over the India News media, and coupled with the manufactured riots, it all seems to be really aggressive.

I hope BJP gets the message that communal politics are not going to yield dividends
        "Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" ~ Epicurus

Comment

Originally posted by antimony View Post
          Oracle,

this was mainly in UP, so I am not surprised that you did not see much in Bangalore. However, I have been following this love jihad crap over the India News media, and coupled with the manufactured riots, it all seems to be really aggressive.

I hope BJP gets the message that communal politics are not going to yield dividends
          Yeah, you're probably correct. Imagine waking up and starting for office, picking up my Muslim gf, and then some goons beating both of us up because we're from different religions, or getting caught up in a riot and having a sword hit on my head. I feel sorry for those poor guys who have no economic freedom to move out, and stuck in that hell-hole.

Comment

Avoiding to make an interpretation of a situation is bad. But making a flawed interpretation is worse.

Majority of indians have no interest in communalism or secularism or gay marriage. These issues don't effect their choice of vote.

These recent results are due to non-participation of the youth.

During the LS elections, almost every gprs enabled phone was buzzing three times a day with modi messages. These weren't sent anonymously but rather by and among friends and family until most of india became networked into a huge circle. These messages have now come to a halt most likely because the youth have got exhausted or bored.
            Last edited by anil; 18 Sep 14,, 15:09.

Comment

Originally posted by anil View Post
              Majority of indians have no interest in communalism or secularism or gay marriage. These issues don't effect their choice of vote.
              Disagree. Security & communal tension plays in every voters mind.

These recent results are due to non-participation of the youth.
              Maybe.

During the LS elections, almost every gprs enabled phone was buzzing three times a day with modi messages. These weren't sent anonymously but rather by and among friends and family until most of india became networked into a huge circle. These messages have now come to a halt most likely because the youth have got exhausted or bored.
              Mine didn't.

Comment

No matter the reasons given, the fact is BJP lost and they have to focus on development. People expected Modi to be the magician to make things magically happen the next day he becomes PM hence they lost seats in other BJP strongholds too like Gujarat and Rajasthan. Although they made some headway in WB which is a good news for them. As much as these by polls don't make any impact it is a reminder of what might be around the corner. So Modi should wisen up and make sure he controls people like Yogi Adithyanath, Shakshi Maharaj. Same goes for SP who has the likes of Azam Khan etc. India is in a interesting time at the moment. I would call this being the important 10 years after independence. It will shape our country's future for the next 5 or so decades. Whether India wants to move along the lines of development cutting through caste and creed or stay bogged down by the divisive politics played by all the parties.

Comment

Originally posted by Oracle View Post
                  Love-Jihad is a reality and the amount of money pushed inside India from Arab world is astonishing.Not just India(Kerala,UP etc specially) but even in UK the communities are fighting this issue.The issue of Muslims(Pakistani mostly) Pedophiles grooming teen white British girls is well known.Very interestingly there is a price tag for cheating and converting.Thanks to the previous "Secular" govt this social issue was pushed under the carpet for their minority appeasement specially for the last 10 years.Some of the brave girl victims managed to come forward and exposed this and as a result under constant threat of being killed.

'Love jihad': UK Sikh girls' exploitation worries Takht - Hindustan Times
                  The 'love jihad' movement is said to have its roots in Kerala and other southern states, where Christian and Hindu girls have been targeted. It has been the cause of tension in these states.The Commission for Social Harmony and Vigilance of the Kerala Catholic Bishops Council conducted a report which highlighted the grave nature of love jihadists. The report said, "There were 2,868 female victims of the 'love jihad' in Kerala from 2006 to 2009."
                  In any case the BJP should have tackled this in a better way rather than making a center point to fight elections.They can win elections on their original agenda ie. Development & Governance.

Comment

Things are what they are and whether we agree or disagree has no relevance or influence on the things.

Not everything is up for argument.

Comment

Originally posted by Batista View Post
                      Love-Jihad is a reality and the amount of money pushed inside India from Arab world is astonishing.Not just India(Kerala,UP etc specially) but even in UK the communities are fighting this issue.The issue of Muslims(Pakistani mostly) Pedophiles grooming teen white British girls is well known.Very interestingly there is a price tag for cheating and converting.Thanks to the previous "Secular" govt this social issue was pushed under the carpet for their minority appeasement specially for the last 10 years.Some of the brave girl victims managed to come forward and exposed this and as a result under constant threat of being killed.

'Love jihad': UK Sikh girls' exploitation worries Takht - Hindustan Times

In any case the BJP should have tackled this in a better way rather than making a center point to fight elections.They can win elections on their original agenda ie. Development & Governance.
                      I have already said that I have my doubts about 'Love-Jihad'. But that in no way means what's happening in UK applies to India. Not discounting the facts in Kerala, I'd wait till more facts are disclosed.

Comment

Things are what they are and whether we agree or disagree has no relevance or influence on the things.

Then don't put up your arguments for discussion.

Comment

Kacharibad main gandu tho WAB mai bhi gandu?

TH, not worth it.
                          Last edited by anil; 18 Sep 14,, 19:39.

Comment

Kacharibad main gandu tho WAB mai bhi gandu?

TH, not worth it.
                            Want to give a translation for that?

Comment

Like what?

Comment

Working...
                              X