PDA

View Full Version : Minskaya In Memoriam

TopHatter
07 Sep 14,, 16:22
To All WAB Members,

As many of you have noted, Minskaya has been absent from the board for the month or so. She communicated privately to the Staff that she was traveling home to Ukraine and that her ultimate destination was "east of the Dnieper River".

It is with great sadness that we must now report the apparent death of Minskaya.

While the message informing us of this tragic news came from her sister and appears to be genuine, we have been unable to establish the exact circumstances of her death. Her sister merely informed us that she "did not suffer", and in reply to our return message asking for more details, said only that she died in the eastern conflict zone "precisely where she wanted to be." The Staff passed along the deepest condolences of the WAB to her family and expressed our immense respect for Minskaya.

Her sister further stated that Minnie had intended to post a Ukrainian music video to the WAB at the next opportunity. Her sister was able to access her WAB account and that post can now be found here (http://www.worldaffairsboard.com/multimedia-jukebox-room/12338-what-song-you-listening-167.html#post975635).

I want to stress again that we have no way of authenticating this information nor obtaining further details. At this time we can only mourn the passing of a wonderful woman and pray that the conflict in Ukraine comes to a peace conclusion.

tankie
07 Sep 14,, 16:33
Oh my , so very saddened to read this ,I hope its not true T/H , however if it is . RIP soldier , RIP .

Mihais
07 Sep 14,, 16:49
As long as information is not certain 100%,hope must not be abandoned.If true,Present Arms!

S2
07 Sep 14,, 16:57
God love her and hold her close. I miss her so much already. The only solace is knowing she now lies at peace beneath blue Ukrainian skies.

This has been the most painful news of a soul uniquely capable of giving so much. She loved this board and its members tremendously. We've suffered a grievous loss.

Farewell, Minnie.

bolo121
07 Sep 14,, 16:58
A damn shame.
RIP

Doktor
07 Sep 14,, 17:53
Speechless and in shock.

Contacted Ben to see if he has some sort of info.

If this is true, I am really hopeful she found her inner peace and that her ultimate sacrifice was worth it.

Officer of Engineers
07 Sep 14,, 17:55
God Bless.

I'm lost for words.

Goatboy
07 Sep 14,, 17:58
:frown: horrified

Albany Rifles
07 Sep 14,, 18:34
Losing Shamus and Whiskie was damn hard...but THIS!

So young and vital.

However, I am sure that duty called and her conscience answered.

Where do we get such men....and women?

God bless you and may you be in His hand forever.

Ar dheas Dé go raibh a anam.

bigross86
07 Sep 14,, 18:34
I haven't heard anything from her, we weren't really in touch.

Such a shame. ברוך דיין האמת

Pedicabby
07 Sep 14,, 19:03
Horrible news. RIP.

Doktor
07 Sep 14,, 20:20
Guys,

If you have any kind of communication with her family or friends and if there is something at all we can do, please let me know.

JAD_333
07 Sep 14,, 20:49
The loss to her family and her country are far greater than ours. But we're losers too whenever a member passes away. I'll miss her sometimes feisty comments and her insights on Israeli operations and other military topics.

I suspect she died in the conflict in Ukraine. How and in what capacity, we may never know. She was too vibrant to pass away of natural causes. I hope her sister is right that she "felt no pain" and that she was where she wanted to be. It appears she had the courage of her convictions. There is no higher virtue.

JAD_333
07 Sep 14,, 20:53
Guys,

If you have any kind of communication with her family or friends and if there is something at all we can do, please let me know.

Dok, I'm sure the family would appreciate knowing that. You should know that at the moment it appears the family plans no further communication with us, but whatever we learn, we will share with everyone.

dave lukins
07 Sep 14,, 21:22
Totally shocked at this news. She was a staunch Wabber and we will certainly miss her. Farewell Minnie RIP

DonBelt
07 Sep 14,, 21:34
What sad news! She was a sober voice and clear mind here on the board and I enjoyed her posts. I hope she rests in peace now if it is indeed true that she has fallen.

commander
07 Sep 14,, 22:09
I am truly shocked of this news :frown: my heart goes with her family and may she rest in peace in heaven. You will definitely be missed minskaya :frown:

Bigfella
07 Sep 14,, 22:50
The sense of loss I feel gives me a window into just how great a hole she must leave in the lives of her friends and family. Minnie was all class. In her time here she lifted the tone of the forum. Her ability to combine reason & passion is something we can all aspire to. Her love for her homeland & sense of duty is inspiring. Just had too much life left to live.

Pass on our condolences to her family. Let them know she touched lives all over the world.

dave lukins
07 Sep 14,, 23:11
Found this in the Mail newspaper but not sure of course: ''A woman was killed and three others injured as heavy fighting rocked a port in eastern Ukraine, just hours into a ceasefire between the government and rebel forces. Gunfire and heavy shelling struck Mariupol overnight, after pro-Russian fighters bombarded a government-held checkpoint at the strategic port on the Sea of Azov, triggering a firefight. A 33-year-old woman was killed in the shelling, the first civilian casualty since the ceasefire began on Friday evening, according to local media reports.''

Doktor
07 Sep 14,, 23:32
How passionate she was about the Ukrainian affair, I doubt she lost her life as a civilian. Just a thought.

S2
07 Sep 14,, 23:52
What little I know tells me she died somewhere between August 28th and Sept. 3rd. We know she was alive on August 26th. The staff was alerted to her death on the morning of September 5th (approx. 1700 hrs GMT) and informed she'd been buried wearing her traditional Ukrainian blouse and wild flowers on family property in Zaporozhe oblast.

Such would suggest a death considerably earlier than September 5th. I fear she was swept up in the maelstrom around Luhansk Airport. Matters took a furious turn for the worse shortly after she indicated she'd be returning to the east. I have my suspicions on what she was doing and that area was a horrific battle zone that very weekend. I pray God was merciful and her death quick and painless.

1980s
08 Sep 14,, 00:38
Sad news.

I dont recall ever interacting with her on this forum although i have seen her regularly post here.

My condolences to her family and friends.

Double Edge
08 Sep 14,, 01:43
Always opposed her position on Ukraine and NOW THIS HAPPENS.

:bang:

Was so happy when she joined this place..<cry>

Doktor
08 Sep 14,, 02:06
Exactly the thoughts I had when I read the thread.

Don't bang your head so hard. We are here for the sake of the discussion. If we all had same view, we'd better get some beers and watched TV.

Such a shame, still can't digest the information.

citanon
08 Sep 14,, 02:58
Shocking news.

Minsky was a sparkling jewel of vitality and intellect. Her mind melded passion and rationality. She was genuine through and through and had a degree of commitment to her cause and her country that I did not fully appreciate until today.

I am so sad that she is gone. Dying so young and so suddenly at the prime of youth and vitality, it does not feel real. :(

In the last two years we've lost Whiskie, Shamus and now Minsky. Life is uncertain and some times good people are gone long before their time. I just want to take the time and tell my fellow Wabbits that even though I've never met any of you in real life, I appreciate your wisdom, intellect and knowledge. I appreciate our discourse. I appreciate your friendship. I appreciate how genuine many of you are. You are always in my thoughts and I am thankful for being a member of this board. You've had a profound influence on the way I see the world and even on how I live my life.

Minsky, thank you for sharing a part of your life with us. Thank you for sharing your knowledge and intellect, passion and vitality. I will miss you. RIP.

JAD_333
08 Sep 14,, 03:34
Found this in the Mail newspaper but not sure of course: ''A woman was killed and three others injured as heavy fighting rocked a port in eastern Ukraine, just hours into a ceasefire between the government and rebel forces. Gunfire and heavy shelling struck Mariupol overnight, after pro-Russian fighters bombarded a government-held checkpoint at the strategic port on the Sea of Azov, triggering a firefight. A 33-year-old woman was killed in the shelling, the first civilian casualty since the ceasefire began on Friday evening, according to local media reports.''

Dave:

As S2 intimated, the news of her passing came before the ceasefire. Top was sitting on it while he sought more info. But good idea to keep an eye out for news reports.

tbm3fan
08 Sep 14,, 05:25
Stunned at the moment............................................ .............

snapper
08 Sep 14,, 05:42
If this is true it is a great loss to her family. I am dubious of her having been a civilian in Mariupol as there are plenty of armed Battalions there (including my Brother). If anyone knows her family name I could consult the casualty lists. I pray this not true but should it be so I salute her valour, integrity and courage. I reconfirm my vow not to rest until the principles of territorial integrity and internal reform of Ukraine, for which the fallen were prepared to sacrifice all, are installed and restored. My deepest condolences to her family should this prove to be true. Героям слава!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fh6jDxcqKMM

S2
08 Sep 14,, 08:13
Sara,

That was beautiful. Minnie would certainly have loved it.

chanjyj
08 Sep 14,, 08:25
Rip

Oracle
08 Sep 14,, 08:39
Rest in Peace, Minnie.

You were full of grace and kind. And thank you very much for the knowledge and small talks through PMs. I'll miss you!

anil
08 Sep 14,, 09:09
http://www.worldaffairsboard.com/images/darksmiles/confused.gif http://www.worldaffairsboard.com/images/darksmiles/confused.gif http://www.worldaffairsboard.com/images/darksmiles/confused.gif

I'm very confused and shocked. What was the exact nature of her visit?

Waiting till some details come out

Mihais
08 Sep 14,, 09:29
IIRC,Minnie was a trained FAC,with combat experience in the Lebanon war.

Given what S2 said,my guess is she probably joined a volunteer unit that fell in the several pockets formed last weeks.
It would be nice to know her real name.

The best sons and daughters of Ukraine and Russia die in another needless war.That is likely to go on and on.

lemontree
08 Sep 14,, 10:41
I am shocked and speechless for the moment. I held her in very high regard....
I'll pray for her soul and hope she is in peace.

Double Edge
08 Sep 14,, 11:25
Moderator Edit: This is not the place to debate the rightness or wrongness of her actions or motivations.

Bigfella
08 Sep 14,, 11:32
DE, please don't turn this into a fight over the specifics of the Ukraine conflict. We have a thread for that. Minskaya isn't here because she chose to defend her nation against an invasion, a situation she understood better than any of us possibly could. Respect it, remember her fondly & save the arguments for a more appropriate place.

Red Team
08 Sep 14,, 13:28
Waking up to this news was just absolutely terrible, Minnie was a member that embodied poise, knowledgeability and a good sense of humor (not to mention a taste for good music). We can only hope to find solace in the fact that she passed on maintaining the very same unbreakable passion for her convictions and her country that she had been kind enough to share with us throughout her time here.

Goodbye Minnie, hope you're at peace.

Monash
08 Sep 14,, 14:14
Like everyone else, assuming this news true I am deeply saddened. If I had Minskaya's full name and DOB I might be able be able to establish the facts because we have people on the ground over there at the moment but I doubt there is any need (there's nothing to gain by lying). She was a smart and funny. I will miss her posts and always wish I had the chance to met her in person.

Officer of Engineers
08 Sep 14,, 16:59
She died proud. She died for the Ukraines she believed in.

She died with a message loud and clear to Putin. "This far and no further." She died stopping Putin.

There is no such thing as a beautiful death but the good Captain has nothing to be ashamed of.

Skywatcher
08 Sep 14,, 17:45
Rest in peace, ma'am.

S2
08 Sep 14,, 17:59
Snapper is making some breakthroughs based on what little we know. We've got an I.D. which appears to match her description with the Donbas volunteer battalion during the period in question. We know the general area of operations was Illovaisk. I'm hopeful for a name. That'll close the loop on the bare facts.

IIRC, bad things happened to that battalion at Illovaisk. Really bad. Heartbreaking.

Doktor
08 Sep 14,, 18:45
In the Ukraine post there was a video from that region aftermath.

No warrior should die ambushed like that. There was no fight.

Firestorm
08 Sep 14,, 18:51
This is quite shocking. I hadn't interacted with her as much as others here, but I always enjoyed reading her posts. Rest in Peace Minskaya and may your family find the strength to bear this. You went much much before your time.

WAB has so many military folk, but have we lost an active member in combat before this?

TopHatter
08 Sep 14,, 18:58
WAB has so many military folk, but have we lost an active member in combat before this?

Not to my knowledge, no. A least a few members have been active on the board and also active in combat, such as Shek and Bigross, but I don't believe we've ever lost any.

SteveDaPirate
08 Sep 14,, 22:14
Very sad news, her insight and humor will be sorely missed. Rest in peace.

tantalus
08 Sep 14,, 23:08
As others have stated, a huge loss to WAB and a huge loss to the Ukraine. I can only presume from her contribution here that she will be an immense loss to her family. There is no equality in character in humanity.

Big K
08 Sep 14,, 23:14
Terrible news. :frown:

RIP Minskaya :( :( :(

667medic
08 Sep 14,, 23:24
I am tearing up at my work place, my colleagues are starings at me when I started repeartdly smacking my head. Is there ny way toverigy this info. Hoope this is not one fucking joke.

dave lukins
09 Sep 14,, 00:52
Snapper is making some breakthroughs based on what little we know. We've got an I.D. which appears to match her description with the Donbas volunteer battalion during the period in question. We know the general area of operations was Illovaisk. I'm hopeful for a name. That'll close the loop on the bare facts.

IIRC, bad things happened to that battalion at Illovaisk. Really bad. Heartbreaking.
Battle of Ilovaisk - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Ilovaisk)

Red Team
09 Sep 14,, 01:07
Battle of Ilovaisk - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Ilovaisk)

I consider myself a calm and tempered person, but boy did that Wiki article make my blood boil.

citanon
09 Sep 14,, 01:28
I consider myself a calm and tempered person, but boy did that Wiki article make my blood boil.

I was reading the accounts and could not bring myself to post them here. Minnie must have went through hell for her country. She is in a much better place now.

zraver
09 Sep 14,, 01:53
RIP, we didn't agree but I did not wish her ill.

antimony
09 Sep 14,, 02:15
I am shocked and saddened.

This is terrible. I will miss her humor, insight and passion for exposing injustice, especially against women, wherever she found it :frown:

Squirrel
09 Sep 14,, 03:03
This is a most stunning and humbling turn of events. I can't put any words to feelings, except sadness and shock, but it goes much deeper.

I had only few and fleeting interactions with her on WAB, but she was always fair and open-minded with me. Welcoming. It was refreshing.

I am absolutely humbled by her sacrifice and deeply saddened to hear of her tragic passing.

Officer of Engineers
09 Sep 14,, 06:55
This is terrible. I will miss her humor, insight and passion for exposing injustice, especially against women, wherever she found it :frown:I'm smiling about this now ... but she did put more than a few of us to shame with her passion.

lemontree
09 Sep 14,, 07:47

I just read this account and lost for words. We lost a friend who gave her all for the land she loved so much.

I recently had my job profile expanded with the middle-east region included, and I at once thought that here was a chance to meet Ben and Minnie in person. Little did I know that her unit was fighting a bitter battle that would take her away from us.

I feel as if I have lost someone from my own regiment.

Killer Whale
10 Sep 14,, 00:32
The highest contribution one can give to their country, is to sacrifice their life defending it. Minskaya you will not be forgotten. God bless you, may you rest in peace.

Goatboy
10 Sep 14,, 01:34
She was just here for Christ sakes. She seemed so safe, casually commenting like the rest of us, intellectually engaged like the rest of us, sitting in her desk chair, eyes on her monitor, fingers on her keyboard, sipping her coffee, just like the rest of us. So morbid, so surreal, so unexpected. Fucking sucks.

Red Team
10 Sep 14,, 04:49
She was just here for Christ sakes. She seemed so safe, casually commenting like the rest of us, intellectually engaged like the rest of us, sitting in her desk chair, eyes on her monitor, fingers on her keyboard, sipping her coffee, just like the rest of us. So morbid, so surreal, so unexpected. Fucking sucks.

Life's a fickle mistress dude, never take it for granted.

Deltacamelately
10 Sep 14,, 08:21
Shocked beyond words.

Rest in Peace Minnie.

Hope all this is not true and she is comes back to us.

Andrey Egorov
10 Sep 14,, 13:31
Rest in piece. May your sacrifice to your homeland you loved so much not be in vain.

Parihaka
10 Sep 14,, 17:43
I'm at a loss for words. If this is true, and I pray that it isn't, then what an horrific world some of us live in.
Sitting at my keyboard tapping away, safely and smugly outlining my views on the state of the world, reading the stories of those here involved in conflict but always at a distance in time and situation, suddenly now made horribly real, personal and immediate.
Minnie, thank you for your time and patience. Thank you for your intelligence and dry humour. Thank you for your love of people and country. And thank you for reminding me that I live in a remote and safe country, a gift that not many in the world enjoy.
I hope you didn't see it coming, I hope you are at peace and I mourn you.

Brinktk
10 Sep 14,, 18:19
I didn't know her well like most on here but I did and do read most of her articles. Much respect to this soldier.

Furthermore, she put her money where her mouth was and stood for something she saw as right and just. That's the epitome of selfless sacrifice, duty, and honor. I hope that if I were ever in her predicament I would have the courage she did to sacrifice everything to do what I think is right. The world IS better for her and people like her. Her example should live through us all as we live.

In the meantime, keep the beer flowing soldier...When it is all said and done and we soldiers go toes up...we'll meet you in that place where soldiers go and raise our glasses to us, and those like us....damn few.

YellowFever
10 Sep 14,, 20:23
Rest in peace, Min....

You will be missed

gunnut
10 Sep 14,, 23:26
Say it ain't so!

Say it ain't so!!!

I just learned a few minutes ago that my friend, who married on Saturday, his mom had suffered a massive stroke 2 nights ago and they may pull life support today.

SAD SAD DAY....

:frown:

S2
11 Sep 14,, 03:21
Sorry for your friend's mom but I wish I could say Minnie died the same way-massive stroke. If so, she'd probably be alive for another thirty or so years.

omon
12 Sep 14,, 23:01
what a tragic news, RIP Minskaya.

even more tragic for me, since i only learned that we lost Whiskie, Shamus from this thread, have not been too active here lately.

sad news, very sad news,

texasjohn
13 Sep 14,, 23:03
RIP Minskaya.

Goatboy
14 Sep 14,, 04:34
Not sure if this information is useful or not...

According to this article ------------- > Anatomy of a Bloodbath (http://www.foreignpolicy.com/articles/2014/09/06/anatomy_of_a_bloodbath_ukraine_volunteer_battalion s_ilovaisk_donetsk)
The Donbass battalion in Ilovaisk contained 5 female volunteers (and according to reputable sources on WAB, Minskaya was a volunteer for the Donbass battalion).

-- Lyudmila Kalinina (from the article) is one, and she survived that cold blooded massacre, albeit wounded.

-- "Maria" is another, (and she's not Minskaya since this girl was active in June, and she's 22 years old). The Donbass Battalion prepares to save Ukraine from separatists | Al Jazeera America (http://america.aljazeera.com/articles/2014/6/28/the-donbas-battalionpreparestosaveukrainefromseparatists.html )

-- Masha is another LiveLeak.com - Masha - the female Donbass battalion soldier (http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=95d_1406062203)

Perhaps one of these women could have run into Minskaya, or made a point to. I don't want to play "desk chair online investigator" here.... just thought it might be useful, maybe just to get confirmation, or an ID or something....

Bigfella
14 Sep 14,, 05:12
Thanks Goatboy. I read some of the article you cited last week & had to stop. It was too much. I imagine I'll be up to it at a later point.

Goatboy
14 Sep 14,, 05:30
Thanks Goatboy. I read some of the article you cited last week & had to stop. It was too much. I imagine I'll be up to it at a later point.

Goodness, I certainly don't want to be a catalyst for more grief.

A side note: Aside from some limited banter, I didn't know her personally, but I must say that I'm continually surprised how her passing struck a chord in me.

Bigfella
14 Sep 14,, 07:34
Goodness, I certainly don't want to be a catalyst for more grief.

Don't worry, you're not. It is a good article & worth reading for anyone who wants to understand a great deal about the war broadly & Minskaya's personal bravery. As I said, I had a glance last week, so you have nothing to worry about.

A side note: Aside from some limited banter, I didn't know her personally, but I must say that I'm continually surprised how her passing struck a chord in me.

It is remarkable that the death of a person we had never met could hit us so hard. it is a tribute to the person she was that she has had such an effect on us all. Remarkable lady.

Goatboy
14 Sep 14,, 08:25
Don't worry, you're not. It is a good article & worth reading for anyone who wants to understand a great deal about the war broadly & Minskaya's personal bravery. As I said, I had a glance last week, so you have nothing to worry about.

It is remarkable that the death of a person we had never met could hit us so hard. it is a tribute to the person she was that she has had such an effect on us all. Remarkable lady.

I could have stumbled upon these "Ukraine conflict" threads yesterday, read them thoroughly (the multitude that are daisy-chained together), and still gotten the requisite, expected emotional reaction. But there's something personal about her contribution, and it's not because I've been involved in these Ukraine discussions since the beginning...

She's "peace". No matter what, she embodied "peace". Her contribution was "peace". She wasn't about retribution, punishment or "Slavic justice", she was about self-determination -- what freedom from a Ukrainian from New York City understands. It was politics, and it was personal with her, but logical and "right' even more.

SlaterDoc
17 Sep 14,, 14:55
Stunned and shocked!

When you share a word or a thought with someone, you share life!
When you share an arguement or a disagreement with someone, you share emotion!
When you share news such as this, you share the loss!

What a world shrinking thing is this internet thing we have created!

Sitting Bull
17 Sep 14,, 18:34
I can't believe she is gone, Minskaya was one of the most dedicated contributors to this site when I joined, contributing quality content not just about Ukraine but a lot of other locales around the world. Then all of a sudden there was nothing. I had hoped the reason was anything but this.

I didn't get to know her for as long as any of you but obviously she was a person of conviction and honour, things that are hard to find these days.

SlaterDoc
17 Sep 14,, 23:25
Having read through some of the links posted and going back over some of her postings and her profile, I believe this young woman's life has a lesson yet to teach! Let her "life and death" be the lesson that unveils the bitter truth and opens the eyes of the world!
I am disgusted and at the same time, saddened that there is so little being broadcast across this country (USA) of what is really going on in Ukraine! It seems that some football player's wife beating and what the commish did or didn't do is of more value! Not!
I implore every one here to deluge the media with emails and/or phone calls to bring their attention to this young woman's life and sacrifice! The one I sent was to Fncspecials@foxnews.com or call 888-369-4762 (FOX).
Don't let Minskaya fade into the past! Let them (media) find out who she was and what she did! They have the means! Demand that they use it!
The world needs to be watching! The world needs to know who she was and her story!

Blademaster
19 Sep 14,, 16:20
RIP. Aside from my disagreements and me locking horns with her, I always thought of her as a true patriot for Ukraine and Israel and women's rights for everywhere.

Triple C
23 Sep 14,, 05:45
It is a sad and shocking loss and brings home the reality of the cost of freedom for Ukrainians to me. RIP.

BD1
29 Sep 14,, 01:04
this is the saddest day to log on to wab and to discover we have lost 3 great people, including minskaya. goodye, slava hrabrim! slava geroyem! my deepest respect to you and what you did.

dan m
26 Nov 14,, 01:38
Rest in peace to a woman with a lot of knowledge, strength and passion:frown:. Didn't know her personally, but I still felt a pang of sadness when I found this thread. I enjoyed reading her very knowledgeable posts. My prayers are with her family and friends who are suffering from this loss.

tuna
02 Dec 14,, 23:03
RIP Minnie. I will miss you.

I just got back from a deployment and hadn't been visiting the board, so I didn't see this until today.

SajeevJino
14 Dec 14,, 10:59

It's shocking ..such a good friend .!!!

RIP

Julie
21 Dec 14,, 08:34
M proved to be an outstanding member here and my condolences to her family. Rest in peace.

astralis
15 Aug 15,, 03:56
Minnie,

hard to believe it's been a year. God knows we still miss you! RIP.

citanon
15 Aug 15,, 05:06
She is missed.

S2
15 Aug 15,, 07:34
Hurts to think about. Been on my mind a little bit again the last few days as we close on Sept. 5.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2xODjbfYw8&index=6&list=RDMMM34iZH4-qkI

Such a fine, good girl. We had her for a bit. Now she's gone.

Oracle
15 Aug 15,, 08:14
You will always have a place in my memories. RIP.

Bigfella
16 Aug 15,, 02:41
We had here for too short a time. We will miss her forever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxCYjoQj7IQ

lemontree
17 Aug 15,, 10:28
I was thinking the same thing, as August comes to an end, it will be one year that she left us.

Doktor
17 Aug 15,, 11:41
I was thinking the same thing, as August comes to an end, it will be one year that she left us.

Actually, since she was taken from us.

popillol
17 Aug 15,, 21:01
RIP!

Have most of the members here met each other in person too?

S2
18 Aug 15,, 01:02
No.

It's not a limiting factor though. Some folks here have become valued friends despite never having seen their faces.

Bigfella
18 Aug 15,, 10:41
RIP!

Have most of the members here met each other in person too?

A lot of regulars here have met one or more others. I've met about half a dozen Australian & US members and plan to add one or two more to the list next time I visit the US. Sadly one of the people I had planned to meet was Whiskey. That loss reminded me that the opportunity to make that face to face connection should be taken if it arises.

As S2 said, there are people here who are a valued part of our lives even though we have not met. The tears many of us have cried for Minnie, Whiskey, Dave, Shamus & perhaps even the Brigadier were as real as any we have cried for people who were a physical presence in our lives.

popillol
18 Aug 15,, 14:54
^^ Like
&
^ Like!

Albany Rifles
18 Aug 15,, 16:14
Well stated BF

desertswo
18 Aug 15,, 21:34
Why am I only now hearing of this/I am shocked but not really surprised. With many posting here still in uniform, I think we sometimes forget that "inconvenient truth." Perhaps we should be grateful that it doesn't happen more often than it does.

א מִזְמוֹר לְדָוִד: יְהוָה רֹעִי, לֹא אֶחְסָר.
ב בִּנְאוֹת דֶּשֶׁא, יַרְבִּיצֵנִי; עַל-מֵי מְנֻחוֹת יְנַהֲלֵנִי.
ג נַפְשִׁי יְשׁוֹבֵב; יַנְחֵנִי בְמַעְגְּלֵי-צֶדֶק, לְמַעַן שְׁמוֹ.
ד גַּם כִּי-אֵלֵךְ בְּגֵיא צַלְמָוֶת, לֹא-אִירָא רָע-- כִּי-אַתָּה עִמָּדִי;
שִׁבְטְךָ וּמִשְׁעַנְתֶּךָ, הֵמָּה יְנַחֲמֻנִי.
ה תַּעֲרֹךְ לְפָנַי, שֻׁלְחָן-- נֶגֶד צֹרְרָי;
דִּשַּׁנְתָּ בַשֶּׁמֶן רֹאשִׁי, כּוֹסִי רְוָיָה.
ו אַךְ, טוֹב וָחֶסֶד יִרְדְּפוּנִי-- כָּל-יְמֵי חַיָּי;
וְשַׁבְתִּי בְּבֵית-יְהוָה, לְאֹרֶךְ יָמִים.

S2
19 Aug 15,, 05:18
Captain,

Thank you, sir. That psalm remains a comfort to those left behind whenever said or by whatever language.

JAD_333
19 Aug 15,, 20:54
As S2 said, there are people here who are a valued part of our lives even though we have not met.

Ditto Albany...

Officer of Engineers
20 Aug 15,, 04:58
I still feel shame for my last words but damned pride for her courage.

JRT
30 Sep 15,, 02:45
I learned of this earlier today, and took pause before posting in this thread, but still am having difficulty finding words to express the alternating feelings of sadness for the loss, and anger caused by the taking.

RIP Minskaya.

Officer of Engineers
04 Oct 15,, 07:22
Mods, this thread should be pinned.

It is extremely rare to find respect for others who did not wore our uniform ... but she did. I am both proud to have known her ... and shamed to argue against her convictions. The Ukraines did not deserve her but the Ukraines need now to live up to her standards.

Perhaps that is the best thing I can say. Usually, our contries demand we live up to her ideals. We have a woman who demands her country lives up to her ideals.

For that I am eteranlly grateful to have known her.

TopHatter
04 Oct 15,, 14:10
Mods, this thread should be pinned.

Agreed, done.

Deltacamelately
05 Oct 15,, 12:05
Top,

I propose, let's get the Good Brigadier's handle edited "In Memoriam" as well. Won't feel good with new comers posting without getting to know, he is no more with us.

regards,

TopHatter
05 Oct 15,, 16:55
Top,

I propose, let's get the Good Brigadier's handle edited "In Memoriam" as well. Won't feel good with new comers posting without getting to know, he is no more with us.

regards,

We are most definitely going to do so. In fact I'd like to have something a bit more reverent for all of our absent friends.

At the moment though we still have reduced functionality on the Admin/Moderator Control Panel and can't make those changes. :-(

tankie
13 Oct 15,, 17:05
It seems like only yesterday she was with us ,,and also just over a year since one of my best mates and bro in arms left us .

RIP Minny and Dave "peanuts" Lukins ,and all others who were valued friends on WAB and F/B

Gone but never forgotten .

I miss you like hell nuts , it hurts .

May your God bless you .

Doktor
13 Oct 15,, 17:32
Really miss our departed friends.

.2014 was really bad one for us.

DarthSiddius
13 Oct 15,, 17:50
I'm still a relatively new poster here and can't call a lot of people 'friends', but hearing about the people we lost does reinforce the uncertainty inherent to life. Realizing that people can be snatched away 'just like that' really shows the importance of having and maintaining good relationships with all the people we share our lives with.

lemontree
19 Oct 15,, 12:22
I landed in Mini's country yesterday, and said a small prayer for her.

Albany Rifles
19 Oct 15,, 14:52
Good man.

Stay safe!

Oracle
17 Aug 16,, 16:02
You are remembered.

Officer of Engineers
18 Aug 16,, 06:37
Looking at the Ukraines today, it is worst before you left it but they are more determined than ever. You gave the dream of the dream of the Ukraines. People woke up for your dream. A hell of alot of work ahead, But you woke the dream, Captain, you woke the dream.

Bigfella
18 Aug 16,, 16:32
I tried to re-read the thread yesterday, but it it still too difficult. Made even more so by the presence of other absent friends.

I choose to believe that one day Ukraine will become the nation Minnie died to create. In the meantime she rests underneath the golden fields & the blue sky she loved.

Not forgotten. Never forgotten.

Double Edge
18 Aug 16,, 22:29
Looking at the Ukraines today, it is worst before you left it but they are more determined than ever. You gave the dream of the dream of the Ukraines. People woke up for your dream. A hell of alot of work ahead, But you woke the dream, Captain, you woke the dream.
Ukraine did the same thing back in 2004. Similar ouster, orange revolution. What was Russia's reaction ? nothing. Back then economics was more important than geopolitics.

Not so in 2014.

Albany Rifles
19 Aug 16,, 14:37
I feel ya Bigfella....