PDA

View Full Version : mans best friend

gf0012-aust
14 Jul 14,, 06:58
my best bud is hitting the end of his journey

its bloody distressing when they start to go downhill...

he's 16 1/2, going blind and is copping arthritis

he's been on many travels with me, travelled around australia a few times, saved me from a few snakes and in general, always been my little wingman

he's a half long haired shepherd, border collie cross, so smart as a whip

problem is trying to work out when I need to make that final journey for him - as even though he's basically blind he still carries on like a pup

/need to vent off

Tamara
14 Jul 14,, 07:46
When life is no longer enjoyable for him.

When he can't stand up any more or control his bowels.

I know, I'm going through the same thing right now. Mom's dog, who I inherited. Mom's dog, who was in my lap when Mom got her from the animal shelter and was filling out paper work. Mom's dog who spent the first night home with me, has gone on many walks with me, spent many nights at Mom's house with me.

Her kidneys are failing, she's got cataracts, she's very thin from not eating. The only thing she eats with vigor is Alpo which is neither good for her nor stays down. So I'm making breakfasts for her with a more expensive dog food that is better for her, the bland kidney diet food I get from the Vet. Mixed together with a large spoon of peanut butter. She's at least eating the last and maybe some of the other stuff is getting in her as well.

I am making frequent trips to the Vets (regular, one for eye) for her, spending a lot of Mom's money, but not thinking of the cost, not thinking of how close to the end we are, not running those calculations. Life is still fun for her, so we continued.

When she can no longer stand up, that will be a very tough day for me, both for losing her ...........................

.............................. and thinking of my Dad up in heaven, having to walk all those dogs that we've had.

Oracle
14 Jul 14,, 07:50
I went through the same pain in August 2009, when my buddy (a German Shepherd) was 12+ years old, almost blind and suffering from arthritis. I wasn't ready to let go and I was so selfish that I took a break from work to look after him, knowing very well that he wouldn't recover. He was too weak to even eat, and would cry faintly in pain all the time. It was so depressing. Finally, I couldn't bear his cries anymore and called in the local vet and requested him to put it to sleep. Funny how my bond with him is stronger than the bonds I've had with that of my own species.

Gary, if there's no pain then it's fine. But it will hit soon, so be mentally prepared to make that last call.

gf0012-aust
14 Jul 14,, 10:00
I'm certainly not going to have him suffer. He still carries on like a pup - that's the hardest thing to separate when I look at him in his bad moments

tankie
15 Jul 14,, 14:18
Feel for you m8 .its hard to let go .

Doktor
15 Jul 14,, 14:39
None of us can tell you what to do. Damn if you do, damn if you don't. Once you take the decission make, convince yourself that is the right one and don't go back with 'ifs'.

Easier said then done I know.

Albany Rifles
15 Jul 14,, 15:27
Hang tough buddy.

We had to put down our old border collie, Mick, back in 2003. He was 13 years old. He loved to run back and forth at the surf line, trying to heard the waves. We spread his ashes in the surf at Nags Head, NC, so he could run forever.

Now I have my galoot of a Yellow Lab, Mac, (yeah, we are real creative with names!) since 2005. Goes everywhere with me.

Minskaya
15 Jul 14,, 22:28
I had to put down a cat of mine last month. Gary, you'll know when it's time.

zraver
16 Jul 14,, 01:07
I feel your pain, lost my first dog and best friend six months ago when he was 14.

gf0012-aust
16 Jul 14,, 04:10
On a brighter note, just read a Nat Geo on MWD's

although I've read a few articles on Aust MWD's in Afghanistan it was good to see a story from another country...

Wooglin
16 Jul 14,, 06:47
my best bud is hitting the end of his journey

its bloody distressing when they start to go downhill...

he's 16 1/2, going blind and is copping arthritis

he's been on many travels with me, travelled around australia a few times, saved me from a few snakes and in general, always been my little wingman

he's a half long haired shepherd, border collie cross, so smart as a whip

problem is trying to work out when I need to make that final journey for him - as even though he's basically blind he still carries on like a pup

/need to vent off

Might sound strange but he'll let you know when its time.

Wooglin
16 Jul 14,, 07:09
When life is no longer enjoyable for him.

When he can't stand up any more or control his bowels.

I know, I'm going through the same thing right now. Mom's dog, who I inherited. Mom's dog, who was in my lap when Mom got her from the animal shelter and was filling out paper work. Mom's dog who spent the first night home with me, has gone on many walks with me, spent many nights at Mom's house with me.

Her kidneys are failing, she's got cataracts, she's very thin from not eating. The only thing she eats with vigor is Alpo which is neither good for her nor stays down. So I'm making breakfasts for her with a more expensive dog food that is better for her, the bland kidney diet food I get from the Vet. Mixed together with a large spoon of peanut butter. She's at least eating the last and maybe some of the other stuff is getting in her as well.

I am making frequent trips to the Vets (regular, one for eye) for her, spending a lot of Mom's money, but not thinking of the cost, not thinking of how close to the end we are, not running those calculations. Life is still fun for her, so we continued.

When she can no longer stand up, that will be a very tough day for me, both for losing her ...........................

.............................. and thinking of my Dad up in heaven, having to walk all those dogs that we've had.

The bland diet food has a low amount of protein that is high quality. Less protein means less work for the kidneys to break it down. You might want to explore options other than peanut butter to supplement for taste. It's high protein and high phosphorus, which can also be a problem as it will build up if the kidneys can't release it properly. I had a sheltie that lived for two years with kidney disease.

Tamara
16 Jul 14,, 08:54
The bland diet food has a low amount of protein that is high quality. Less protein means less work for the kidneys to break it down. You might want to explore options other than peanut butter to supplement for taste. It's high protein and high phosphorus, which can also be a problem as it will build up if the kidneys can't release it properly. I had a sheltie that lived for two years with kidney disease.

It's an ongoing "debate" and recipe making. In reverse order, one of her vets suggested mixing some Alpo into the mix to see if that might get her to eat more, because one way or another, she has to eat to live.

About the debate bit. Is it to continue to live or is it to enjoy life? She's 14 or so.

Wooglin
16 Jul 14,, 14:47
It's an ongoing "debate" and recipe making. In reverse order, one of her vets suggested mixing some Alpo into the mix to see if that might get her to eat more, because one way or another, she has to eat to live.

About the debate bit. Is it to continue to live or is it to enjoy life? She's 14 or so.

That's a question for you to answer. It's certainly your choice. But if that's what we're talking about here then I'm confused as to which you're trying to accomplish. You're using a low protein diet because it's better for the kidneys in their condition, then adding high protein to it because she likes it. Why not just go one way or the other?

Anyway, I'm not trying to get into a debate about it. It's your call. I was just trying to be helpful because I've been there. It's not easy, I know.

Amled
16 Jul 14,, 15:05
Been there, done that friend.
The only comfort was knowing that it was the right thing to do.
A shallow comfort.

Big K
16 Jul 14,, 15:33
i remember Sunny, our familys Husky member...

when he hit 14 yrs 9 months vet told us there are no more than pain for him in the future... so it was time to say good bye.

last time i saw him he was struggling to get up like a pup but he couldnt...than i felt that was the time...

i still feel guilty about him and i always think about could i make him live happily, was i a worthy friend to his unconditional love.

i feel sorry for you. but you will see when the time has come.