Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Italy seeks CIA agents

"Italy seeks CIA kidnap agents

Italian authorities have issued arrest warrants for 13 people they claim are agents "linked to the CIA".

The suspects are accused of abducting an Islamic cleric in Milan in 2003 and flying him to Egypt for interrogation.

Osama Mustafa Hassan, also known as Abu Omar, was already being investigated in Italy as part of a terrorism inquiry.

Italian prosecutors believe the operation was part of a controversial US anti-terror policy known as "extraordinary rendition".

The policy involves seizing suspects and taking them to third countries without court approval.

Human rights organisations say some of the countries to which terror suspects have been deported are known to use torture, and critics have branded it "torture by proxy".

The US embassy in Rome has not commented on the arrest warrants issued against the 13 people - 10 men and three women.

Also on Friday, another Milan-based judge issued an arrest warrant for the

Egyptian-born imam himself, whose whereabouts are currently unknown.
    No arrests have been made. None of the suspects is currently believed to be in Italy.

An Egyptian woman said she had witnessed the abduction of Mr Hassan on 17 February 2003, while he was walking from his house to the mosque where he preached.

She told police he was stopped by two men dressed as police officers, and cried for help in Arabic as he was bundled into a white van.

Electric shocks

According to Italian daily Corriere della Sera, Mr Hassan was then driven to the US base at Aviano north of Venice and transferred to another base in Germany, before eventually being taken to Egypt.

The 42-year-old imam called his family in Italy after being released last year, and said he had been tortured with electric shocks during his detention.

Mr Hassan is believed to have arrived in Italy in 1997, where he was granted refugee status.
    I
    talian investigators say his abduction hampered an ongoing investigation into alleged terrorist links.

They managed to track down the 13 suspected agents through the Italian mobiles they used during the operation, the paper says.

The suspects are said to have used US passports to check in at several top-range hotels in Milan."

link: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/4619377.stm

Has CIA the right to do this kind of operations in an allied country? Not without permission. Should the agents be prosecuted? I think not, becuse they ware told what to do by the head of operations for CIA.

Does America have an extradition treaty with Italy?
    In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

Originally posted by parihaka
      Does America have an extradition treaty with Italy?
      Not for CIA agents I suspect.

Comment

Can they be sentenced and serve time in Italy or will they be only expelled?

Comment

Originally posted by SloMax
          Can they be sentenced and serve time in Italy or will they be only expelled?
          If the CIA agents were more or less following orders, the US won't turn them over.

Comment

"If the CIA agents were more or less following orders, the US won't turn them over."

OK, but if they are arrested in Italy?

Comment

Its too late.

The birds have flown.

Period.

Only thing one can do is fume.

Too bad.

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Originally posted by SloMax
                "If the CIA agents were more or less following orders, the US won't turn them over."

OK, but if they are arrested in Italy?
                It depends if they have formal diplomatic status. If they do, all Italy can do is send them on their way. If not, I would think they would be going to jail.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray
                  Its too late.

The birds have flown.

Period.

Only thing one can do is fume.

Too bad.
                  That's really all there is to it.

Comment

About bloody time I say. The US has been doing this sort of thing far too long without punishment.

Comment

Originally posted by Rani Lakshmibai
                      About bloody time I say. The US has been doing this sort of thing far too long without punishment.
                      LOL Doesn't look like we are going to be punished this time either, but just keep cheering for America to lose.

Comment

Good god not another America hater living in my country, who invited them all to Canada anyway?!!

As for the Italians fuming over these abductions, I eco the sentiment "too bad", these were suspected terrorists not schoolboys.
                        Facts to a liberal is like Kryptonite to Superman.

-- Larry Elder

Comment

Originally posted by smilingassassin
                          Good god not another America hater living in my country, who invited them all to Canada anyway?!!
                          The Liberal Party of Canada.

Comment

Originally posted by smilingassassin
                            Last year when I was back over I noticed it was getting to be quite the trend, even papers like the Vancouver Sun was getting on the bandwagon.
                            When we blindly adopt a religion, a political system, a literary dogma, we become automatons. We cease to grow. - Anais Nin

Comment

I heard in the news that Italy wanted to arrest this person anyway so it would be better if the CIA would coordinate it's operations with local security agencies (specially if it's operating in it's country).

Comment

Working...
                              X