Just a rant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just a rant

If you drive drunk fuck you! The dad in me is pissed. First I awoke to the frantic calls from the dispatcher over the radio as she tried to summon help. Then I had to step over the spattered bits of brain and skull of a little kid to try and help a dying mother who was soul screaming because her baby was lying dead next to her. Had to watch an injured father watch his wife get flown out and then saw him try to comfort the corpse of his child. I got to do this, or see this in front a school bus full of kids who just got a graduate level course in- Life ain't fair. Then I got to help examine a killer passed out drunk in the back of a cop car, not a scratch on him...

IMO apart from shooting them, drunk drivers should be made to look at the corpses of the people that they've killed
    Linkeden:
    http://au.linkedin.com/pub/gary-fairlie/1/28a/2a2
    http://cofda.wordpress.com/

Comment

Im ashamed to say in the past I have driven while legally over the limit , that was many moons ago , never ever again will that happen , not just for the reasons Jason points out , but thats the main one , in hindsight it was madness and downright stupidity and arrogance , these days if any D/D causes death it should be a life sentence awarded , people in the UK have gotten off lightly in the past for such actions .Your brain must be scrambled Jason having to deal with incidents as these . Power to you mate.

Comment

My mum used to X-ray people pulled out of car accidents and he only two times I have come close to death was due to people driving dangerously and illegally (though not drunk). As a result I am a real hardass on bad driving. Anyone caught driving under the influence should lose their license for 5 years the first time & forever the second. No ifs or buts. If you cause an accident it is jail & a lifetime ban. Driving a car is one of those fundamental everyday activities where the consequences of people feeling they can break the rules are so potentially serious that people need to be constantly aware of those consequences. I suspect that because it is so 'everyday' people treat it as a 'right' and don't think about what they are doing as much as they should.
        sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

That's fucking horrific. This new dad business is screwing with me emotionally in a big way, the mention of the dead child nearly brought me to tears.

If your going to drink, catch a cab, walk, sleep on a friends couch, whatever. Keep away from cars. period.
          The best part of repentance is the sin

Comment

I've never been involved in a drunk driving incident on either side, and my friends and I ALWAYS have a designated driver, but I take it to extremes. Even though you can legally drive here after 1/2 liter of beer, if I have even a sip of beer I give my wife the keys.

Only way I'll ever consider driving after drinking is if I've had 1/2 liter of beer or less, it's been over 2 hours since I finished my beer, and I've drank at least a liter of water. Since that combination rarely if ever happens, I'm confident knowing that I'll never get behind the wheel of a car under the influence of anything.

I think the worst part is that when I tell people that I'm not driving after drinking a pint or something like that, I'll frequently be ridiculed or scoffed at instead of people saying "good idea".
            Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

Shocking campaign against speeding in Ireland. We need more of these.
              No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

The sad fact is that drunks don't give a shit. You can take away their car and license and they will get another or even steal a car to drive home.
                Removing a single turd from the cesspool doesn't make any difference.

Comment

Originally posted by chakos View Post
                  That's fucking horrific. This new dad business is screwing with me emotionally in a big way, the mention of the dead child nearly brought me to tears.
                  Totally get it, Alex is 3, I've been teary eyed a couple times since Friday night. Luckily its not my first experience with traumatic death, I have places to vent like WAB (cause getting it off your chest sooner rather than later is a good thing) and had a busy weekend of K9 training to keep me busy. I hope the kids on the bus get a CISM debrief or counseling.

Comment

We have too many here in India too, the rich n famous are the biggest culprits, and then the drunk mad truck drivers..:bang:

Cheers!...on the rocks!!

Comment

Originally posted by tankie View Post
                      Im ashamed to say in the past I have driven while legally over the limit , that was many moons ago , never ever again will that happen , not just for the reasons Jason points out , but thats the main one , in hindsight it was madness and downright stupidity and arrogance , these days if any D/D causes death it should be a life sentence awarded , people in the UK have gotten off lightly in the past for such actions .Your brain must be scrambled Jason having to deal with incidents as these . Power to you mate.
                      You actually managed to do this ? In my time in the UK, i got completely brainwashed by society & the media against it. No mucking around here.

christmas time, new years, the cops are out in force, so many checkpoints.

Not to mention if they catch you, insurance doubles and remains that way.

it is crazy and very expensive to drive drunk in the UK.
                      Last edited by Double Edge; 30 Jun 14,, 14:08.

Comment

Originally posted by Double Edge View Post
                        You actually managed to do this ? In my time in the UK, i got completely brainwashed by society & the media against it. No mucking around here.

No police officer pulled down a tank. Ever!

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Originally posted by Double Edge View Post

Yes , about 25 to 30 years ago now
                          Last edited by tankie; 30 Jun 14,, 14:22.

Comment

Mid 2000, my final year of graduation. That was the time to welcome all those freshmen to be bullied later and fresh women to be secretly admired. There were hardly any classes as the semester had just started, so me and my buddy went out for a drink in the morning. We came back to our hostel around noon. Drunk. I had a light lunch and caught up on some sleep. At around 8 PM, he barged into my room. He said he had the Principal's van (he was the College General Secretary and had access to most things), and we can go for a joy-ride. I didn't sense anything wrong, as being drunk most of the time was pretty much the norm. But that nasty moron was roaming around the campus checking out new girls since noon and didn't sleep. On the way, I picked up my gf, who was studying to be a doctor.

So, we were two idiots on the highway to Shillong (State capital of Meghalaya) and a lady. Every road-side eatery we'd see, we'd get off to booze, smoke and then continue our ride. That stretch of highway is notoriously famous for dacoity, murder, and rape.

11:00 PM, rain starts. The tires hardly have any grip.

11:30 PM, I have a feeling bud is drunk. However, I was in the backseat making out.

(We both were mess managers, which means we managed the food provided to students - bf, lunch and dinner - of our respective hostels. Obviously, we're rich or so we felt.)

12:30 AM, we halt at a place called Kalain, bud ordered booze and some chicken. Since I had a little sleep, I was sober. So I ask him if he is okay to drive. With full confidence, what drunks always do, he says he can. Fine. We start again, just 15 mins into the drive, out of nowhere came 3 elephants. He swerved to the left and avoided hitting the elephants. Oh! Lord, I thought. I was in the back seat again, trying to get comfortable, when the van probably hit something, a wandering goat maybe. Hormonal imbalance can be a death wish.

1:30 AM, bud asks me if I wanted to drive since he's feeling a little tired. Before I could say yes, he pulls over a small shanty. Some Khasis were selling hot pork curry. We eat, booze. Bud says, Shillong is still far and he's tired so we should go back to Hostel. I join in aye! with the lady, and ask him for the keys. He says he's okay to drive. Fine again.

2:00 AM, bud requests me to sit in the front seat as he was feeling sleepy. We talk a little.

Probably around 3:00 AM, I close my eyes for a little nap, and probably just 3 minutes later, I open my eyes to see the van going off the highway, with my bud asleep on the wheel and his foot in the accelerator. In the distance I could see a bridge. I screamed WTF, he woke up, swerved to the left and hit the railings of the RCC bridge. BANG!

The impact threw me outside the van, my head smashing against the front glass. Bud trapped inside. What happened after that is a long story. We never really talk about that incident, but I would like to thank the good samaritans who helped us that night. Truck drivers who were transporting fish.

I have no idea how I survived that crash. That was my luckiest night. From that day on, I never drink and drive, nor do I take any lift from friends who are drunk. I always take a rickshaw or a cab. Sometimes, they make fun of me and say 'hey we all die someday'. I tell them, I don't want to kill innocent people on the road nor do I want to die like a stupid ass**** with angry people pissing over my funeral pyre. I have kept a scar from that accident till date, and every-time I see myself in the mirror, I get reminded of what drink driving can do and what an idiot I was.

My bud, a year later enacts the same act with some college juniors. No one is hurt, but the car was damaged beyond repair. We live in the same city, but hardly meet. He's one dangerous guy I stay away from.
                            Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Comment

Can't recall if ever drove with more then two beers.

Comment

Working...
                              X