PDA

View Full Version : Taliban attack Karachi airport

Minskaya
09 Jun 14,, 20:44
Pakistan Weighs Strike Against Taliban Over Airport Attack
June 9, 2014

http://si.wsj.net/public/resources/images/BN-DD399_0609pa_G_20140608200712.jpg

ISLAMABAD, Pakistan—The Pakistani Taliban's deadly attack on Karachi's Jinnah International Airport appears to have ended hopes for a peace deal, pushing the government toward an army operation against the militant group's strongholds in tribal areas, officials and analysts said on Monday. A meeting between Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif, who had pursued peace talks with the Taliban since last year, and the military's top command is set to take place in the next few days, officials said, adding that an offensive in North Waziristan, where many Pakistani Taliban leaders are based, will be the main item on the agenda.

The attack by heavily armed militants late Sunday unleashed a gunbattle, explosions and a raging fire that lasted some six hours. The assault killed 18 airport security and administrative personnel. No passengers were harmed. The attackers, armed with guns and rocket-propelled grenades, were stopped just 25 meters from three planes full of passengers that were parked on the tarmac, security officials said. The assailants entered through the relatively less-secure gates at the airport's cargo terminal at 10:20 p.m. on Sunday. Army commandos and the paramilitary Rangers force were quickly called in to repel them. Officials said security personnel had foiled the attackers' plan to get into the passenger terminal, take hostages and hijack a plane. "The army is ready for an operation. It now all depends on the government to make a decision," said another security official.
Source (http://online.wsj.com/articles/gunmen-attack-karachi-airport-1402301470)

The current death toll is 30. Nawaz Sharif has been under intense pressure by the military to launch an offensive in North Waziristan since the onset of spring. Tens of thousands have already fled the mountainous region in anticipation of a Pakistani military offensive.

Officer of Engineers
09 Jun 14,, 23:32
That is a hell of a reaction time by the army and rangers. A surprise attack that was quickly contained and defeated within 6 hours. Must have been on stand by.

sated buddha
10 Jun 14,, 06:04
Pakistan has long since gone past the tipping point. While they will never admit to the same on open forums with thousands of Indians looking on, I chat privately with some Pakistanis regularly who openly lament the decision taken by their grandparents and great grand-parents and rue the fact that they were born in the wrong country.

The bunch of jokers who come as experts on our news channels from their side, mainly ex military and diplomatic corps, are as usual in denial and rhetoric mode.

Minskaya
10 Jun 14,, 09:05
38 people including 10 terrorists were killed at the Karachi airport. Pakistan says the airport is secure, however heavy fighting is being reported at the nearby base of the Airport Security Force (ASF). Pakistan launched air strikes on Taliban strongholds in North Waziristan this morning.

lemontree
10 Jun 14,, 11:00
The second strike near the airport has ended as the terrorists have escaped.
Live Blog - Another attack at Karachi airport complex- The Times of India (http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/Another-attack-at-Karachi-airport/liveblog/36343678.cms)

Double Edge
10 Jun 14,, 14:46
That is a hell of a reaction time by the army and rangers. A surprise attack that was quickly contained and defeated within 6 hours. Must have been on stand by.
Yes, it was a success. All dead terrorists, no blown up planes or people taken hostage. They were lucky they prevented the terrorists from entering the main terminal. Hundreds of people were there. All safe.

Pakistan has long since gone past the tipping point. While they will never admit to the same on open forums with thousands of Indians looking on, I chat privately with some Pakistanis regularly who openly lament the decision taken by their grandparents and great grand-parents and rue the fact that they were born in the wrong country.

The bunch of jokers who come as experts on our news channels from their side, mainly ex military and diplomatic corps, are as usual in denial and rhetoric mode.
When you go after terrorists they strike back. This strike shows that they are hitting the TTP where it hurts. To continue doing so is to endure even more attacks. Increases the costs of security significantly.

bolo121
10 Jun 14,, 15:04
I was very impressed by the way they were able to contain the attack and prevent entry into the main terminal.

Officer of Engineers
10 Jun 14,, 15:54
Now look for a Beslan. There are 100s of schools for girls in Pakistan ... and not enough angry relatives with AK47s.

Oracle
10 Jun 14,, 17:10

May the brave and the dead RIP.

Btw, Sir, the bold part - you mean state managed or the ISI had intel of an impending attack?

Neo
10 Jun 14,, 18:09
May the brave and the dead RIP.

Btw, Sir, the bold part - you mean state managed or the ISI had intel of an impending attack?

Few months ago Peshawar Airport waa attacked and before that Airforce bases in Kamra and Mehran. I assume we have increased our preparedness, specially when we are bombing TTP hideouts in Waziristan. There will be.more attacks on high value targets but hats off to our elite forcess for talking out the terrorists in such a busy terminal.

Officer of Engineers
10 Jun 14,, 18:14
I don't know if they had prior intel but it was a very disciplined response. The RRF had clear lines of approach and knew the deposition of enemy forces. Airport security must have contained the first assault but still, the fact that you had a whole bunch of civies around (airport crews and passengers), my first reaction would have been not to engage but to find out who's where, trying to avoid blue on blue situations. In the history of these things, more people died by friendly fire than by anything else.

The only thing I can suggest is that this must be one of the scenarios they've always rehearsed in.

Neo
10 Jun 14,, 18:18
When you go after terrorists they strike back. This strike shows that they are hitting the TTP where it hurts. To continue doing so is to endure even more attacks. Increases the costs of security significantly.

TTP has already been broken in half as the Meshud group which accounted for half the TTP forces has split. There are some 5000 foreign paid mercenaries, mainly.Tajiks and Uzbeks figjting for TTP and even they are moving to Syria.

The attack at the airprt was a desperate measure by TTP to demonstrate their capabilities but it failed miserably.

Officer of Engineers
10 Jun 14,, 19:09
A Beslan is easy and these fucks ain't above hurting little girls.

Double Edge
10 Jun 14,, 23:41
TTP has already been broken in half as the Meshud group which accounted for half the TTP forces has split. There are some 5000 foreign paid mercenaries, mainly.Tajiks and Uzbeks figjting for TTP and even they are moving to Syria.
Imagine an asteroid coming at you and you splintered it. Now you have more bits still coming at you.

The attack at the airprt was a desperate measure by TTP to demonstrate their capabilities but it failed miserably.
To me its a progression from 26/11 (my frame of reference). Drive by shootings then hole up in a hotel and stage a grand last stand. Lots of visbility.

Here the aim is more specific, target a transport hub and paralyse a key transit point. people coming & going. Lots of people. Who is going to secure all these hubs. This is why leaders always try to defuse the situation with peace talks, does not matter if its serious or not, it means you get little more stability.

Short term thinking but that's what pols thrive on.

A Beslan is easy and these fucks ain't above hurting little girls.
Sadly yes and cheaper still. Where will the tipping point be ? The point where more attacks only strengthens the resolve of the people to go after the perps.

Lal masjid in 2007.

Oracle
11 Jun 14,, 06:12
Few months ago Peshawar Airport waa attacked and before that Airforce bases in Kamra and Mehran. I assume we have increased our preparedness, specially when we are bombing TTP hideouts in Waziristan. There will be.more attacks on high value targets but hats off to our elite forcess for talking out the terrorists in such a busy terminal.

Okay. But tell me something, how come the terrorists even wander so close to high value targets? Are there no security blankets? What do you think of insider help to the TTP?

Officer of Engineers
11 Jun 14,, 07:17
Okay. But tell me something, how come the terrorists even wander so close to high value targets? Are there no security blankets? What do you think of insider help to the TTP?You cannot protect everything. The PA made the correct choice, a contingency force that can react to everything.

Do note my eval. The Pakistanis reacted fast and accurate.

lemontree
11 Jun 14,, 09:10
I agree too sir. Their drills were well practiced and carried out.
Containing the initial assault to flushing out the terrorists by their army/ranger was quite fast.

Doktor
11 Jun 14,, 09:40
Kudos to the airport security, as well. If they failed and the hijackers reached the intended areas my guesses are it wouldn't have been such swift op.

RIP to the innocents and may the perps rot in hell.

Monash
11 Jun 14,, 10:11
Hmm .... if I was part of the insurgency involved in the Karachi Airport operation I might look at obtaining some light mortars or even home made rockets aka the Gaza strip and just use harassment bombardments as a way shut the airport down intermittently. (Just playing Devils advocate folks - I mean its Pakistan we're talking about here, nothing would surprise me.) :bang:

Double Edge
11 Jun 14,, 11:21
Would require the cooperation or rather submission of residents nearby. Shoot & scoot.

Doktor
11 Jun 14,, 11:32
Would require the cooperation or rather submission of residents nearby. Shoot & scoot.

If the PA manages to hit them before they scoot there wont be more then 3 such incidents. Try hijacking US airplane.

Double Edge
11 Jun 14,, 12:05
Why attack the airport gaza style when you can just take it over like was envisaged. Capture hostages and get your guys out.

Much more surgical. Guns & rocket propelled grenades are easily available. No need to be a rocket scientist.

Monash
11 Jun 14,, 12:16

If threats won't work try 'inconvenience' payments. Its not as if you have to use the same location every time, shoot and scoot indeed. Just pay off the local crime bosses/or politicians (same thing) and 'fire at will'. Doesn't have to be a frequent or even intense bombardment, just enough to make shrapnel damage to passenger aircraft a real threat.

Monash
11 Jun 14,, 12:20
If the PA manages to hit them before they scoot there wont be more then 3 such incidents. Try hijacking US airplane.

It doesn't have to be about shutting the place down just major inconvenience and it certainly doesn't have to be about targeting the US, just shutting the airport down regularly no matter who owns the planes flying in/out or for that matter whose on board any particular plane.

Doktor
11 Jun 14,, 12:26
It doesn't have to be about shutting the place down just major inconvenience and it certainly doesn't have to be about targeting the US, just shutting the airport down regularly no matter who owns the planes flying in/out or fpr that matter whose on board any particular plane.

My point was if the perps put a mortar in my yard, then shell something from there and in the process the army blows everything up, after few such occurrences, the people will fight perps who try to place mortars in their own yards.

Monash
11 Jun 14,, 12:30
Why attack the airport gaza style when you can just take it over like was envisaged. Capture hostages and get your guys out.

Much more surgical. Guns & rocket propelled grenades are easily available. No need to be a rocket scientist.

A takeover was never an option. The passenger terminals were to well guarded and after recent events you can bet security at the freight terminals will be upgraded. A modern commercial airport is simply to big a piece of infrastructure to take over whole scale. Even a single terminal is to large/open a space for a small team of terrorists to secure. You need a least a battalion strength sized force to properly secure/defend the perimeter of a military airfield from attack let alone a commercial one, same goes I would assume for taking over and 'securing' one. Lobbing bombs in when you can from outside the security perimeter is much easier and simpler. Even the risk of unexploded ordinance on the tarmac will close a commercial airport down, let alone the risk of shrapnel damage (even minor damage) to large commercial jets.

lemontree
11 Jun 14,, 12:36
Hmm .... if I was part of the insurgency involved in the Karachi Airport operation I might look at obtaining some light mortars or even home made rockets aka the Gaza strip and just use harassment bombardments as a way shut the airport down intermittently. (Just playing Devils advocate folks - I mean its Pakistan we're talking about here, nothing would surprise me.) :bang:

You are a man after my heart. I have the same thing in mind with 120 mm mortars in mind.
Two tubes and a short quick salvo and scoot (after booby trapping the tubes).

ambidex
11 Jun 14,, 12:52
Uzbek fighters claim involvement in Karachi airport attack - Pakistan - DAWN.COM (http://www.dawn.com/news/1112038/uzbek-fighters-claim-involvement-in-karachi-airport-attack)

The Islamic Movement of Uzbekistan (IMU), an Al-Qaeda affiliate that has been mainly based in Pakistan's tribal belt since the US-led invasion of Afghanistan in 2001, claimed the “martyrdom” of 10 of their fighters during this week's assault in a statement posted on various Taliban-linked websites.

An intelligence official in Islamabad added that Karachi-based investigators also suspected the attackers included Uzbeks.

Few of the Pakistani analysts are saying the same for last two days. They were rejecting TTP claim as rhetoric of owning every nuisance that has been happening in Pakistan (no good reason given, why).

Monash
11 Jun 14,, 13:03
You are a man after my heart. I have the same thing in mind with 120 mm mortars in mind.
Two tubes and a short quick salvo and scoot (after booby trapping the tubes).

Depends on how quick, well trained, mobile you are. It really is a case of shoot and scoot, and the aim is disruption after all, any damage you cause is an added bonus. I don't know how well the Pakistani insurgency is equipped. If they can afford to use and lose 120mm mortar tubes in a single mission fine, if not virtually any high angle explosive round might do, hell even a volley of RP rounds onto the the runway will do the trick - the airport authorities will have to close that particular runway down until they have swept up all the shrapnel pieces, even a single piece of metallic debris sucked into the intake of a modern jet engine could spell disaster.

Monash
11 Jun 14,, 13:10
My point was if the perps put a mortar in my yard, then shell something from there and in the process the army blows everything up, after few such occurrences, the people will fight perps who try to place mortars in their own yards.

They can always put the launchers in vehicles or failing that simply simply threaten to kill or 'disappear' a member of your family if you try to intervene. Even better for everyone concerned all they need do is point guns at you and your family members (even if you weren't going to interfere with their plans). What are the security forces going to do when they turn up, arrest you and your family for not martyring yourselves in the name of the Pakistani State? (I concede they might try - but there are limits to how corrupt even the Pakistani legal system is.

Doktor
11 Jun 14,, 13:32
They can always put the launchers in vehicles or failing that simply simply threaten to kill or 'disappear' a member of your family if you try to intervene. Even better for everyone concerned all they need do is point guns at you and your family members (even if you weren't going to interfere with their plans). What are the security forces going to do when they turn up, arrest you and your family for not martyring yourselves in the name of the Pakistani State? (I concede they might try - but there are limits to how corrupt even the Pakistani legal system is.

Thing is PA should assure me, that my family we will die in the process one way or another.
How prepared are they to do it, both technically, as well as morally is another topic.

Neo
11 Jun 14,, 13:48
Imagine an asteroid coming at you and you splintered it. Now you have more bits still coming at you.

Splinter groups can be contained easier depending on their motives and who their main enemy/target is. United they are more dangerous, have more funds and intel.

To me its a progression from 26/11 (my frame of reference). Drive by shootings then hole up in a hotel and stage a grand last stand. Lots of visbility.

Here the aim is more specific, target a transport hub and paralyse a key transit point. people coming & going. Lots of people. Who is going to secure all these hubs. This is why leaders always try to defuse the situation with peace talks, does not matter if its serious or not, it means you get little more stability.

Short term thinking but that's what pols thrive on.

They wanted to hi-jack a plane and fly it into some building a la 9/11 but they failed.

Khaki-turned-Jihadi Adnan Rasheed masterminded Karachi attack - thenews.com.pk

Neo
11 Jun 14,, 14:00
Okay. But tell me something, how come the terrorists even wander so close to high value targets? Are there no security blankets? What do you think of insider help to the TTP?

Lack of live intel and governments sluggish and inapt policy regarding rerrorism and internal security is
resulting in this mess. There are no CCTV cameras around the airports and other high value targets. Even agter numerous attacks the govt has failed to provide basic security infrastructure.

Inside help yes, corruption is high in a country which has elected two of.most corrupt people on.earth, Zardari and Shirif who are both billionairs today. TTP is believed to be foreign funded, the claim is not baseless sinve she's been able to hire 5000 Tajik and Uzbek mercenaries over the years and has modern weapons.
Money talks and an airport officer making 60.000 rupees a month ($60) which is a decent salary in Pakistan can easily be bought for as less as $500-1000 to forge a few security passes.

ambidex
11 Jun 14,, 15:35
IMU releases photos of terrorists.

!!! Audio in Urdu

Islamic Movement Of Uzbekistan Takes Responsibility For Karachi Airport Attack & Also Released Photos Of Attackers - Video Dailymotion (http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1z5fqh_islamic-movement-of-uzbekistan-takes-responsibility-for-karachi-airport-attack-also-released-photos_news)

Neo
11 Jun 14,, 16:12
IMU releases photos of terrorists.

!!! Audio in Urdu

Islamic Movement Of Uzbekistan Takes Responsibility For Karachi Airport Attack & Also Released Photos Of Attackers - Video Dailymotion (http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1z5fqh_islamic-movement-of-uzbekistan-takes-responsibility-for-karachi-airport-attack-also-released-photos_news)

Lol, IMU is claiming to have destroyed US Drones and Combat Fighters.at Karachi Airport.

SteveDaPirate
11 Jun 14,, 21:07
Lol, IMU is claiming to have destroyed US Drones and Combat Fighters.at Karachi Airport.

Seems like Karachi is a long way from Waziristan or areas that US Drones and Combat Fighters might be interested in. I would be pretty surprised to learn that US drones would be operating from an International Airport rather than a PAF installation.

Double Edge
11 Jun 14,, 22:36
So its not credible that IMU was behind this attack then ?

Firestorm
12 Jun 14,, 00:55
They wanted to hi-jack a plane and fly it into some building a la 9/11 but they failed.

If they wanted to hijack an aircraft why did they enter the old terminal first (which is now used only for a few VIP flights) and then the Cargo terminal? The new passenger terminal is where most of the aircraft would be parked.

And if the manage to hijack a plane after this kind of attack they won't be flying it into anything. Even if it manages to leave the ground, it will get shot down before they can fly it into any building.

This hijack theory doesn't seem to add up.

S2
12 Jun 14,, 03:50
Firestorm,

"If they wanted to hijack an aircraft why did they enter the old terminal first..."

Why ask Neo? He offered a link. Sure as hell wasn't his plan. Only those guys planning and executing this attack know for sure and aren't they also claiming via their Uzbek proxies U.S. drones and combat aircraft destroyed on the ground?

"The TTP has already claimed credit for the Karachi Airport assault, saying it was meant to avenge the November 2013 death of their former ameer Hakeemullah Mehsud in a US drone attack. The fidayeen attack was executed by ten heavily armed Taliban fighters, including some Uzbek nationals belonging to the Islamic Movement of Uzbekistan (IMU), which has become an integral part of the TTP due to the unique guerrilla skills of its militants. All 10 Taliban fighters and other 18 people, including 11 security personnel and four airport workers, were killed during the fighting which lasted for at least six hours.

While Pakistani officials claimed that the Taliban sought to destroy the airplanes at the terminal, TTP spokesman Shahidullah Shahid said the Taliban had planned to hijack the aircrafts and use them for hitting targets at another place. Another TTP leader said the Karachi airport was considered to be one of the most secured installation in the country and the June 8 attack gives a very clear message to the civilian and khaki leadership that no place in Pakistan, no matter how secure it is, was beyond the reach of the Taliban.

'We had included engineers and skilled people in the squad that stormed the airport. They knew how to operate a plane after hijacking it,'the TTP leader claimed."

Me? I note at least three possible rationales from the above-revenge, seize aircraft for 9/11 style attack, and/or intimidation. No place is safe. All plausible. None to be likely known for certain by any here.

Please don't start shooting the messenger.

lemontree
12 Jun 14,, 08:14
Depends on how quick, well trained, mobile you are. It really is a case of shoot and scoot, and the aim is disruption after all, any damage you cause is an added bonus. I don't know how well the Pakistani insurgency is equipped. If they can afford to use and lose 120mm mortar tubes in a single mission fine, if not virtually any high angle explosive round might do,....

Exactly, any high angle or dorect fire projectile will do.
On the LOC between India and POK, the jihadis would place their 107mm rockets (SBRL/MBRL ammo) aimed at a target and trigger it with a photosensitive detonator (it use to get activted on sunrise). One can place these rockets with desposable tubes at night and leave the location well before the rockets are triggered.

SteveDaPirate
12 Jun 14,, 14:32
Sounds like the Pakistani's have changed their tune about allowing U.S. drone strikes. Drones hit 2 targets in North Waziristan overnight in the first U.S. drone strikes in Pakistan since December of 2013.

BBC News - US drones 'hit militants in Pakistan's North Waziristan' (http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-27807123)

cr9527
12 Jun 14,, 15:15
Sounds like the Pakistani's have changed their tune about allowing U.S. drone strikes. Drones hit 2 targets in North Waziristan overnight in the first U.S. drone strikes in Pakistan since December of 2013.

BBC News - US drones 'hit militants in Pakistan's North Waziristan' (http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-27807123)

They were never truly against drone strikes. Only PR.

Neo
13 Jun 14,, 12:09
Seems like Karachi is a long way from Waziristan or areas that US Drones and Combat Fighters might be interested in. I would be pretty surprised to learn that US drones would be operating from an International Airport rather than a PAF installation.

So its not credible that IMU was behind this attack then ?

Thats poor jounalism, there are no drones in Karachi.

Neo
13 Jun 14,, 12:28

Drone strikes are perfectly legal and effective. Musharraf who struck a deal with CIA on.intel and elimination of high value targets knew that the impact on national sentiment would be negative if PA had started killing the terrorists in FATA. So we agreed CIA to do the dirty job and GoP
taking care of.PR and aftermath.

New.Coas Raheel.Shareef thinks in the same lines as Musharraf and will continue to work with Obama administration to allow more drone attacks.

Pakistan has two sqdns of home built drones armed with Chinese AR-1 missiles but they are not as accurate as US hellfires.

Doktor
13 Jun 14,, 12:49
Drone strikes are perfectly legal and effective. Musharraf who struck a deal with CIA on.intel and elimination of high value targets knew that the impact on national sentiment would be negative if PA had started killing the terrorists in FATA. So we agreed CIA to do the dirty job and GoP
taking care of.PR and aftermath.

New.Coas Raheel.Shareef thinks in the same lines as Musharraf and will continue to work with Obama administration to allow more drone attacks.

Pakistan has two sqdns of home built drones armed with Chinese AR-1 missiles but they are not as accurate as US hellfires.

I get you are Expat Pakistani. Hardly you will find your reasoning within Pakistan. At least openly expressed.

Neo
13 Jun 14,, 17:12
I get you are Expat Pakistani. Hardly you will find your reasoning within Pakistan. At least openly expressed.

Pakiatanis are fed up with terrorist attacks by these talebans in our cities and public hotspots. 50.000 People have died in Pakistan since the war started in Afghanistan and the terrorist crossed the borders to hide in porous mountains of Waziristan.

Donot believe the media or the civil government officials, they are all to happy and comfortable with coalition funds filling their pockets and they are well off with militancy.

Common man in Pakistan wants to get rid of them one way or the other. A good taleban is a dead taleban.