PDA

View Full Version : Our children of today

tbm3fan
03 Jun 14,, 04:44
So much for the innocence of my days back in the 50's and 60's.

Police: Wisconsin girl, 12, stabbed 19 times; friends arrested - CNN.com (http://www.cnn.com/2014/06/02/justice/wisconsin-girl-stabbed/index.html?hpt=hp_t1)

Officer of Engineers
03 Jun 14,, 05:37
Spartan boys were encourage to kill any Helots caught out after dark.

tbm3fan
03 Jun 14,, 08:14
I knew I should of said except for our resident Spartan...

Tamara
03 Jun 14,, 08:22
Well, a thing or two or three.

First of all, I don't agree with the double standard or age discrimination, ESPECIALLY for the convenience of the State. I believe you are either an adult or you are not, not that you are adult for some things but not others, in some situations. If you can sign legal contracts at 18, you should be able to drink at 18 and by no means should these 12 year old girls be charged as adults, regardless of what they have done.

Secondly, my childhood was a lot of Roger Corman movies and traveling Europe, was even encouraged to be a little bit blood thirsty, between Mom telling me that this castle had a torture chamber and my 8th grade teacher giving me an assignment on torture. I had fantasies of extravagantly doing in others. So why didn't I?

Probably a number of reasons. It was too logistically extensive, I was too busy with activities, I had a curfew, and while life is a lot better in fantasy than reality (something I've realized only in the past couple of years and didn't know then), fantasy has a saturation point. One reaches that point where they can't go much further, where they just go around and around and around.

Regardless of the source of the fantasy, there is that crest and afterwards, there is the descent. The Phantom rescues Diana, Vincent Price eventually buys the farm, the TV station ends broadcast for the day, whatever.

But in our modern world, it seems, there is no stopping point. Either that or our capacity for wanting more, more, more is VASTLY expanded, its access is so much more easier. If I wanted to expand what I felt in the fantasy of this
my only hope was to go to the library and maybe be able to find something. TV gave me only what it wanted to when it wanted to. Hence, sooner or later, I had to be satisfied with what I had.

But these days, how easy is it to find something on youTu, on the Net to fuel one's carnal desires? If it's "properly tuned", it can be never ending, with its own less than desirable results such as game addiction. But say it isn't tuned "correctly"? Then the appetite may be simulated but the current source isn't sufficiently feeding anymore.

Is that the reason of why we are today the way we are?

Maybe..................it's certainly a mess.

Bigfella
03 Jun 14,, 11:37
So much for the innocence of my days back in the 50's and 60's.

Police: Wisconsin girl, 12, stabbed 19 times; friends arrested - CNN.com (http://www.cnn.com/2014/06/02/justice/wisconsin-girl-stabbed/index.html?hpt=hp_t1)

This is terrible, but I would humbly suggest that the 'innocence' of that time has more to do with awareness of what was happening rather than what was actually happening. There is nothing new about children killing. There is nothing new about people seeing it as proof of something terrible & new in society.

The question of why children kill is probably going to be debated forever. Sometimes there seem to be clear causes - an abusive home life etc; the child may be a 'sociopath' or something similar. TV, movies & video games are often blamed. General 'moral decline' or something similar is also a popular whipping boy. It was so when murder rates were skyrocketing & it remains the case now that they are steadily falling.

No one has a clear answer, but people usually think it is something unique to their era.

Here are a few examples from times gone by. There are many, many more.

Jesse Pomeroy was fourteen when he was arrested in 1874 for the sadistic murder of a four-year-old boy. He was quickly dubbed "The Boston Boy Fiend." His rampage had begun three years earlier with the sexual torture of seven other boys.....

Mary and Norma were brought in; Mary made up a story but Norma described watching Mary kill the boy. They went to trial in 1968 in England, where Mary was convicted of two counts of manslaughter. People called her "evil" and a "bad seed," in part because she seemed so indifferent to the proceedings against her....

Willie Bosket had committed over two thousand crimes in New York by the time he was fifteen, including stabbing several people. The son of a convicted murderer, he never knew his father but revered him for his "manly" crime. Just before he was sixteen, his crimes became more serious. Killing another boy in a fight, he then embarked upon a series of subway crimes, which ended up in the deaths of two men....(1970s)

The Unthinkable — Children Who Kill and What Motivates Them -- The Crime Library — The Unthinkable — Crime Library (http://www.crimelibrary.com/serial_killers/weird/kids2/index_1.html)

I should point out that the article above is more than a bit sensationalist & I don't trust its conclusions, but the info is informative.

On June 16, 1944, the United States set a record when they executed George Stinney (14 years old), the youngest person to be legally executed in the US during the twentieth century. George was convicted of the murder of two girls named Betty June Binnicker (11) and Mary Emma Thames (8) who were both found in a muddy hole.

Young started experimenting with poisons when he was 14. He usually lied about his age, and explained that a given poison was for a school experiment so he could buy the chemicals he needed. His family and friends were his victims. His father, upon becoming ill, originally thought he just had a virus of some sort. Then the apparent illness struck his wife and daughter. All suffered from continuous vomiting, diarrhea and stomach pains. In 1962, the mother of Young’s stepmother died from poisoning

Top 10 Young Killers - Listverse (http://listverse.com/2011/05/14/top-10-young-killers/)

Batista
09 Jul 14,, 15:22
If someone is old enough to kill he should be old enough to get the punishment.

This was a well deliberated violent act based on some fictitious "boogy evill man" story.

SteveDaPirate
09 Jul 14,, 17:47
Statistics clearly show a continuing trend of rates of violent crime falling from the 1990s until today. The popular impression of violent crime increasing is almost entirely due to media attention.

Cable news channels love to play the most shocking things possible to get those ratings, and the widespread adoption of social media and ubiquitous internet access means that unusual or shocking crimes that would formerly only be reported locally, are now seen by people world wide. Not only are these things seen by a world wide audience, people watch them unfold in real time.

In the age of news print, you would mostly hear about crime in your city or town as opposed to your country or the world. It isn't much of a surprise that constantly being bombarded with this stuff makes people assume it is occurring more frequently.