PDA

View Full Version : Riding and Trekking (Hiking) in Australia

sated buddha
29 May 14,, 12:20
Going to be in Australia for work probably end June. Sydney mainly. Then plan to go meet a friend in Melbourne. He's got many bikes, and we plan a nice ride to some scenic places. Maybe ride the Philip Island track on a weekend as well. The work colleagues in Sydney were suggesting a hike into the Blue Mountains. Seems to be beautiful this time of the year.

Would love to meet up with my good friend Bigfella while I'm there if possible. India England should be starting or started about then. Maybe a taste of things to come when we turn our attention to the Aussies. :)

Anything else suggested for a shortish 7-10 day trip by the Aussies here? Wine tasting? Bondi beach and swimming with the sharks?

Doktor
29 May 14,, 12:25
Your Indian expert could give you a nice advice. Knowing him, he will.

sated buddha
29 May 14,, 12:26
Your Indian expert could give you a nice advice. Knowing him, he will.

Shhhh I'm going into his backyard. He's the boss there. I'm sure it will be something to do with either sharks, octopus, or jellyfish. Or scorpions if more inland. Probably overnight in my riding boots. LOL :)

Bigfella
29 May 14,, 17:10
Going to be in Australia for work probably end June. Sydney mainly. Then plan to go meet a friend in Melbourne. He's got many bikes, and we plan a nice ride to some scenic places. Maybe ride the Philip Island track on a weekend as well. The work colleagues in Sydney were suggesting a hike into the Blue Mountains. Seems to be beautiful this time of the year.

Would love to meet up with my good friend Bigfella while I'm there if possible. India England should be starting or started about then. Maybe a taste of things to come when we turn our attention to the Aussies. :)

Anything else suggested for a shortish 7-10 day trip by the Aussies here? Wine tasting? Bondi beach and swimming with the sharks?

Probably best not to leave the hotel room. Everything here can kill you. Everything. :Dancing-Banana:

Your friend in Melbourne probably has a better idea of what you would find interesting than I would, but if you have specific questions I'm happy to help.

Melbourne has the best food in Australia. Name a cuisine and we have it. All quality. Try stuff you are less familiar with. We have tons of Thai, Turkish, Italian, Chinese, Korean, Greek & everything besides. Even better, the people who run the restaurants are usually from the country the food is from. I can give you the name of the best Ethiopian place in town - easy to get to from the city. The Queen Victoria market is cool (also a bunch of nice motorcycle shops nearby if that grabs you); Lygon Street Carlton still retains some of its Italian past and Victoria Street Richmond is still very Vietnamese.

If you have the chance go to a football game at the MCG (if you are keen tell me when you are going to be here. There might be a Hawks game on). There is also a museum there that might interest a cricket fan. If you have a few days the Great Ocean Road is spectacular. If you want to see kangaroos the Melbourne zoo or Healsville sanctuary are great. If you are going to Phillip Island see the penguin parade - too cute.

Bigfella
29 May 14,, 17:11
Shhhh I'm going into his backyard. He's the boss there. I'm sure it will be something to do with either sharks, octopus, or jellyfish. Or scorpions if more inland. Probably overnight in my riding boots. LOL :)

Don't forget snakes. They are everywhere. Drop bears too. best eat lots of vegemite.

sated buddha
30 May 14,, 14:34
Thanks for the great tips mate. My first visit to Australia so am excited and looking forward to it.

Now after this, continent-wise, I have only Africa I have not been to. And Antartica. :)

Doktor
30 May 14,, 14:55
We're going to the wide open spaces of Antartica. To the wild.

Bigfella
30 May 14,, 16:54
Thanks for the great tips mate. My first visit to Australia so am excited and looking forward to it.

Now after this, continent-wise, I have only Africa I have not been to. And Antartica. :)

I'll throw in a few more when I get time, though a good deal of it is weather dependent. Melbourne in late June can be a wet & windy place. Can make some activities pointless.

If you especially want to meet up when you are here PM me.

Doktor
30 May 14,, 17:13
If you especially want to meet up when you are here PM me.

Put your pets on diet. And I don't mean the cats here.

Bigfella
30 May 14,, 17:51
Put your pets on diet. And I don't mean the cats here.

Snakes don't usually bite out of hunger & drop bears kill for fun. The food part is just an added extra.

Doktor
30 May 14,, 17:59
Snakes don't usually bite out of hunger & drop bears kill for fun. The food part is just an added extra.

Weren't you against death penalty?

Let him cuddle your cats before visiting dingos :biggrin:

Oracle
30 May 14,, 18:31
Congratulations SB to have got the chance to visit the land of the Anglophiles and the infidels. I'm especially looking forward to your trip to Australia.

Bondi beach is a place many orthodox Indians dream. That is a perfect place to ogle on. Swimming with sharks might get a little too dangerous for you, since you are a (keeping it) safe kind of guy. Re'em the Biker gang episode? You have missed Mardi Gras. Try out Hooters, if you can. Great place for some buffalo chicken wings, and the eyes. Be generous while tipping.

Also looking forward are your travel theories of how the Australians have no culture, are racist to the core and are incestuous.

The one thing I cannot wonder is what work does a Beedi manufacturing employee have in Australia? Something highly technical probably.

BF, you better be cautious.

Bigfella
31 May 14,, 03:56
You have missed Mardi Gras.

Yes, but Oxford Street in Sydney & the 'golden half mile' on Commercial road in Melbourne are open all year 'round. :biggrin:

Be generous while tipping.

I think you are mistaking us for America, We have a civilized minimum wage here.

Also looking forward are your travel theories of how the Australians have no culture, are racist to the core and are incestuous.

My sister/wife would like to point out that 'culture' is the refuge of people from poorly run nations with inadequate plumbing, power supply & healthcare.

BF, you better be cautious.

On my own turf? turn it up. A pair of drop bears can strip an adult human & grind down the bones in 10-15 minutes.....and they associate foreign accents with food. I'm not the one who needs to watch out. ;)

Doktor
31 May 14,, 05:54
... A pair of drop bears can strip an adult human & grind down the bones in 10-15 minutes.....and they associate foreign accents with food. I'm not the one who needs to watch out. ;)

The Survey has been done by the University of Tasmania, so beware, as well.

Also explains why other English-speaking countries have issues with the Australian accent. They made the English so unrecognizable as a form of a deterrent.

Oracle
31 May 14,, 06:36
Yes, but Oxford Street in Sydney & the 'golden half mile' on Commercial road in Melbourne are open all year 'round. :biggrin:

Yep, like SOHO in Central London.

I think you are mistaking us for America, We have a civilized minimum wage here.

The point I wanted to make is, Indians in general are bad tippers. :)

My sister/wife would like to point out that 'culture' is the refuge of people from poorly run nations with inadequate plumbing, power supply & healthcare.

The good lady probably forgot to mention self-esteem.

On my own turf? turn it up. A pair of drop bears can strip an adult human & grind down the bones in 10-15 minutes.....and they associate foreign accents with food. I'm not the one who needs to watch out. ;)

Batman doesn't rule just Gotham. :biggrin:

Bigfella
31 May 14,, 08:54
The Survey has been done by the University of Tasmania, so beware, as well.

Damn straight!

Also explains why other English-speaking countries have issues with the Australian accent. They made the English so unrecognizable as a form of a deterrent.

Took over a century for the drop bears to associate the Australian accent with 'locals'. Before then the carnage was truly terrible. Few families were untouched, whole families could just disappear. The earliest ancestor on my mum's side to arrive in Australia had 12 children, only 4 survived to adulthood. Drop bears like tender flesh. It wasn't really until the invention of vegemite in the 20s that we finally dealt with the problem once & for all. Drop bears hate vegemite.

Bigfella
31 May 14,, 08:55
The point I wanted to make is, Indians in general are bad tippers. :)

So are Aussies. You guys fit right in.

sated buddha
31 May 14,, 09:04
Where are these drop bears found mainly? Have you actually seen one? Google says they are an urban legend. Like the Loch Ness monster. Or the Yeti.

Doktor
31 May 14,, 10:53
Where are these drop bears found mainly? Have you actually seen one? Google says they are an urban legend. Like the Loch Ness monster. Or the Yeti.
You can see one right in BF's signature.

sated buddha
31 May 14,, 11:17
You can see one right in BF's signature.

Yes Doktor. I got that as a result in Google Images as well. But are these really real? I thought these were cute tree hugging leaf eating little things. Apparently these drop on to the heads of unsuspecting people from the branches above, and hence the name.

Then again, no tender flesh here. So could probably get away after a nibble.

Don't know about Vegemite. But Marmite is nasty.

Bigfella
31 May 14,, 11:38

You don't see them, they see you. We want people to think it is all a big joke - if they knew the truth no one would dare visit.

But are these really real? I thought these were cute tree hugging leaf eating little things. Apparently these drop on to the heads of unsuspecting people from the branches above, and hence the name.

Close relative of the koala, but deadly.

Then again, no tender flesh here. So could probably get away after a nibble.

They love chewing on bones. Keep their teeth clean.

Don't know about Vegemite. But Marmite is nasty.

Marmite doesn't work, only vegemite.

Doktor
31 May 14,, 11:52
Next thing he will say is that Taz is extinguished.

But keep in mind, drop bears don't visit Tasmania.

chakos
31 May 14,, 12:00
Hit me up if you want to go for a hike into the Blue Mountains, I live at the foot of them and have many years experience (back in my fitter better looking days mostly) hiking in them.

Bigfella
31 May 14,, 12:01
Next thing he will say is that Taz is extinguished.

But keep in mind, drop bears don't visit Tasmania.

There are small populations there, but they need to be careful of Tasmanian Tigers & especially Devils. As long as they stay in the trees the yare OK, but go anywhere near the ground and.....

They prefer easier pickings on the mainland.

Doktor
31 May 14,, 12:09
There are small populations there, but they need to be careful of Tasmanian Tigers & especially Devils. As long as they stay in the trees the yare OK, but go anywhere near the ground and.....

They prefer easier pickings on the mainland.

Why risking with the Devil and the Tiger when there is nothing easier then foreigners who come for the first time :biggrin:

A friend who lives in NSW told me "When you come here, say nothing the first week". Now I understand.

On a side not, hope SB drinks coffee and would not get all jumpy when offered a "Long Black".

Bigfella
31 May 14,, 12:25
Why risking with the Devil and the Tiger when there is nothing easier then foreigners who come for the first time :biggrin:

Cunning buggers Drop bears.

A friend who lives in NSW told me "When you come here, say nothing the first week". Now I understand.

Wise man. Urban areas tend to be safe, but once you start hitting forests watch out. Silence isn't just golden, its life saving.

On a side not, hope SB drinks coffee and would not get all jumpy when offered a "Long Black".

Yeah, Sudanese don't like being given away to foreigners. Get bloody aggro about it. Best he stick with flat whites, they just lie about the place.

sated buddha
31 May 14,, 12:29
Some photos of what's being prepped for me for our planned ride into the great Australian outback .....

(Am sure the bikers here would recognize this legendary machine)

sated buddha
31 May 14,, 12:34
Just about ready now ...... Almost there.

Fuel tank, fuel, coolant, exhaust, engine oil, battery. And she'll be ready for her first trial start.

Don't think there is a drop bear, slim jim, fat jack, or whatever other wildlife Australia has to offer, that can keep up with this baby on ful whack! At least not with me on it ...... :biggrin:

Bigfella
31 May 14,, 13:18
Some photos of what's being prepped for me for our planned ride into the great Australian outback .....

Are you going to see the 'outback'? The term isn't interchangeable with 'countryside' - we call that 'the bush' (cue smutty jokes). The 'outback' is much more remote & empty.

Don't think there is a drop bear, slim jim, fat jack, or whatever other wildlife Australia has to offer, that can keep up with this baby on ful whack! At least not with me on it ...... :biggrin:

Unless you avoid all overhanging trees you are not safe. You have to stop some time. Australian wildlife is very patient.

Even when you are riding you are not safe. Roos can hit 70kms per hour and they will come straight at you. Imagine being hit by 80kg of solid muscle at that speed. Back legs can tear you open too. Of course, the biggest thread on the roads is bogans. Seen 'Mad Max'? We use that as a training film for young drivers. You get more points for a motorcyclist than for a regular cyclist or a pedestrian. Keep an eye out for cars with little motorcycles painted on the side.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQCqyrWoIEs

sated buddha
31 May 14,, 13:37
Are you going to see the 'outback'? The term isn't interchangeable with 'countryside' - we call that 'the bush' (cue smutty jokes). The 'outback' is much more remote & empty.

I guess not. Just like the sound of it. But we will be off roading and doing graded trails and such. Just don't have much time to fit in much else this time around, at such short notice. Speaking of the outback and distances and desolate vastness, I remember a Discovery feature on this guy who walked across the outback with a small two wheel wheel barrow tied to his back. Crazy guy, ballsy but!

Bogans huh? Not much in the way of 4 wheeled guys can keep up with serious bikes and good riders out here. This baby stock does about 200 (kmph). Its been worked on and latest pulls show some nice upration. Looking forward to a decent jump both in top end and more in the midrange.

Don't know how fast your car guys go there, but if there's the hint of traffic, a good rider on one of these will be in and out, and build up such a lead that by the time the bogan reels him in, they are on the next overtake. Yeah, I guess something like the 100 km straight road and such, best to pull over and let them by. Well out of the way.

Even when you are riding you are not safe. Roos can hit 70kms per hour and they will come straight at you. Imagine being hit by 80kg of solid muscle at that speed. Back legs can tear you open too.

Yes, heard from my friend that these are as bad as deer and moose in terms of being a hazard to bikers and car guys alike. We don't plan much night riding though, so hopefully we should be able to spot one unless they have a habit of jumping out from behind trees or something. 80 kilos at 70 kmph is serious damage. I know what it feels like when my 50 kilo rottie slams into me during attack training. And this is me at standstill .....

Bigfella
31 May 14,, 13:57
I guess not. Just like the sound of it. But we will be off roading and doing graded trails and such. Just don't have much time to fit in much else this time around, at such short notice. Speaking of the outback and distances and desolate vastness, I remember a Discovery feature on this guy who walked across the outback with a small two wheel wheel barrow tied to his back. Crazy guy, ballsy but!

Remember that ancestor of mine I mentioned who lost 8 kids? When he moved from Adelaide to Bungowannah (just near Albury - on the Murray river between Sydney & Melbourne) his wife & a number of kids walked all the way from Adelaide. No money for a ship or coach. We are all a bit crazy just to live here.

Bogans huh? Not much in the way of 4 wheeled guys can keep up with serious bikes and good riders out here. This baby stock does about 200 (kmph). Its been worked on and latest pulls show some nice upration. Looking forward to a decent jump both in top end and more in the midrange.

Don't know how fast your car guys go there, but if there's the hint of traffic, a good rider on one of these will be in and out, and build up such a lead that by the time the bogan reels him in, they are on the next overtake. Yeah, I guess something like the 100 km straight road and such, best to pull over and let them by. Well out of the way.

They only have to catch you once. Can't ride at 200 all day. Mad Max is a god to us.

Yes, heard from my friend that these are as bad as deer and moose in terms of being a hazard to bikers and car guys alike. We don't plan much night riding though, so hopefully we should be able to spot one unless they have a habit of jumping out from behind trees or something. 80 kilos at 70 kmph is serious damage. I know what it feels like when my 50 kilo rottie slams into me during attack training. And this is me at standstill .....

Kangaroos have been know to stalk people. Don't piss them off.

chakos
31 May 14,, 14:09
Its not only at night you have to worry about the roos, dusk and dawn is also dangerous. The big killer on Aussie roads is fatigue. I drive LOTS for work over long distances and it even gets me. The distances are huge and the roads are of good quality, often very straight and featureless, perfect conditions to take a nap at the wheel.

Bigfella
31 May 14,, 15:46
Its not only at night you have to worry about the roos, dusk and dawn is also dangerous. The big killer on Aussie roads is fatigue. I drive LOTS for work over long distances and it even gets me. The distances are huge and the roads are of good quality, often very straight and featureless, perfect conditions to take a nap at the wheel.

I was going to mention to SB that you had a dozen little motorbikes stenciled on the side of your car, but I thought I'd leave it to you. :biggrin:

Doktor
31 May 14,, 15:50
I was going to mention to SB that you had a dozen little motorbikes stenciled on the side of your car, but I thought I'd leave it to you. :biggrin:

What you don't tell him is that 1 stenciled mini bike = 10 bikers downed. Right?

Bigfella
31 May 14,, 16:20
What you don't tell him is that 1 stenciled mini bike = 10 bikers downed. Right?

Chakos has the killer look in his eyes. Cold man, just cold.

sated buddha
02 Jun 14,, 08:02
LOL, BF, you actually had me concerned (Mad Max more than drop bear) and I actually Skyped my friend this Sunday on that.

Little bikes ..... Good one! :)