PDA

View Full Version : Food, Glorious Food!

Tamara
11 Apr 14,, 06:44
I was reading a paragraph or two in USAA magazine about how people do "retail therapy" to cheer them up.

Women, it is clothes, house furnishings, furniture. Men, though, too do it, often with electronics and food.

That last one caught my attention, food. Why should it be that?

Because of the way one is conditioned in the military about food? Either not having enough or being subject to perhaps poor cooks? Or perhaps remembering, rightly or wrongly, that the food was the best of the experience? Perhaps it was being able to make out like a bandit at the commissary?

Admittedly, while I am thrifty and lazy with most things to buy, I do buy a lot of food. I think it is primarily because cooking gives me joy, that I've learned that if you can cook and cook well, you will always have a place in the community, or perhaps.........................with what a joy the upperclassman system TAMU made eating, I learned the economics of having a stockpile somewhere.

Don't know, more on this later, but wanted to get this out there for people to chew on.

sated buddha
11 Apr 14,, 09:12
Men spend most of their waking hours thinking about sex, food, and machinery (guns/cars/bikes/tools/chainsaws/etc.).

Not necessarily in that order depending on time of the day.

We are uncomplicated.

Doktor
11 Apr 14,, 09:13
Then we go to sleep.

sated buddha
11 Apr 14,, 09:37
Then we go to sleep.

And dream about sex, food, and chainsaws.

Tamara
11 Apr 14,, 10:04
Me, a lot of what I see in the literature I read, my mind focuses on the mention of the food and how it is done.

Ie, in the ST novel, "Battlestations!", McCoy makes himself the mess officer on an irregular ship. There's Neelix, always cooking. Piper of Charmed. Karl Hansen's "Dream Games".

I learned to using lentils in my diet by reading of Robyn Davidson's trek by camel across the Aussie outback. Hold images from Nat'l Geographic fondly in my memory of Robin Lee Graham stocking up on cans during one of his layovers or a section about cod fishermen where it is always fish for dinner on the mothership but that with different spices, the cook makes it seem like a different meal.

And, like I said, once I found out about it, did make off like a bandit buying out of the commissary when I started cooking for myself.

I made a wonderful tasting version of Moors and Christians the other day when I added a cup of Russo's Chardonnay to the boiling liquid. I love salmon with dill. Two things I seek out in Big Lots are the spices and the teas.

Fictional stories of garrison commanders who stock pile and real stories of sub crews eating their way through supplies meant for Corregidor, to say nothing of forest rangers, have encouraged me to keep my pantry stuffed to the gills.

These days, there are my dry goods, my refrigerated goods, and my canned goods. I try to eat mostly of my dry and refrigerated stores first, keeping my canned goods as an out of work backup. Works best with canned pastas and meals, not so great with canned fish, meats, powdered cheese, or tomato paste.

I suppose it might all come from some fantasy of what people must think when they see my shopping cart. Ie, "I wish I could cook like that".

Probably similar to when they see me wine shopping. Ie, "Now, there's a friend I wish I had!".

sated buddha
11 Apr 14,, 10:25
Tamara do you have electricity in your barn/cabin/ranch?

If yes, then you could get a proper deep freezer (-20 and below) and cook up base stuff in quantity and freeze it.

Dirrerent deep frozen foods keep differently over different freeze-thaw cycles though. But it could potentially save you the drudgery of cooking something everyday.

I like eating more than cooking. So my suggestions would be colored accordingly.

Tamara
11 Apr 14,, 10:47
Tamara do you have electricity in your barn/cabin/ranch?

If yes, then you could get a proper deep freezer (-20 and below) and cook up base stuff in quantity and freeze it.

Dirrerent deep frozen foods keep differently over different freeze-thaw cycles though. But it could potentially save you the drudgery of cooking something everyday.

I like eating more than cooking. So my suggestions would be colored accordingly.

Right now, the only thing in place is the well. It is the only thing in place with power, solar.

It is house plan after house plan here, dream after dream. Why, just the other night I was thinking maybe in order to get out there soon, I ought to build some kind of dome house......with starfish legs extending from it. That is, a place to live for the pets and I and then have storage "arms" out from it for all the various components of my life. Anyhow................

The other day, I was thinking of making a stew, but the day was a little bit complicated. So I made the Moors & Christians (mine, brown rice, black beans, black eyed peas). The good think about that is that it cooks up pretty quick, clean up is easy, and it is tasty and nourishing.

But.....can't have it every day. Have to watch the gas intake. So today I had two sandwiches. A steak one for the main meal and then an avocado one before I came into work.

One thing about freezing stuff is that I have moved away from having a microwave oven, at least for now. Tossed my last one in the trash a few weeks ago, not sure when I will get a new one.

In any event, a chest freezer is in the plans for some day......just don't know which day.

sated buddha
11 Apr 14,, 10:54
Right now, the only thing in place is the well. It is the only thing in place with power, solar.

It is house plan after house plan here, dream after dream. Why, just the other night I was thinking maybe in order to get out there soon, I ought to build some kind of dome house......with starfish legs extending from it. That is, a place to live for the pets and I and then have storage "arms" out from it for all the various components of my life. Anyhow................

The other day, I was thinking of making a stew, but the day was a little bit complicated. So I made the Moors & Christians (mine, brown rice, black beans, black eyed peas). The good think about that is that it cooks up pretty quick, clean up is easy, and it is tasty and nourishing.

But.....can't have it every day. Have to watch the gas intake. So today I had two sandwiches. A steak one for the main meal and then an avocado one before I came into work.

One thing about freezing stuff is that I have moved away from having a microwave oven, at least for now. Tossed my last one in the trash a few weeks ago, not sure when I will get a new one.

In any event, a chest freezer is in the plans for some day......just don't know which day.

I have a friend in Seattle who has bought some mountain forest land next to a lake. He is also building a wood cabin there and clearing trees and stuff. Laying foundation in concrete and has the mixer and other necessary stuff on site.

Its coming along pretty nice. And he is doing it all on his own.

Later he has more ambitious plans like you.

Point is, till the cabin becomes habitable, he has a trailer permanently parked on site with a generator (and chemical toilet), which he lives in on the weekends when he is on site working on the cabin. Then he covers up, locks up, and drives back to the city for the work week.

DonBelt
11 Apr 14,, 15:47
Maslow's hierarchy of needs. Food figures as a basic need and our behaviors react accordingly. In situations where food may not be as plentiful or good as it could be, it takes on an added value in our minds. We think of comforting foods, holiday meals from childhood, our mother's cooking. Looking at fictional books written by people who experienced war, the way they talk about food is distinct. Since my kids are into LOTR, we've read those books recently and CS Lewis as well. Both Lewis and Tolkien were WW1 vets and experienced deprivation and horrific combat. In their books, unexpected meals and homely meals are a staple of each new adventure the characters get into. I think that is because those needs were in danger and they were under great stress, so the way they thought and looked at food reflected that. Stresses in other areas can cause more interest in your tier of basic needs as your body tries to reassure itself. When I had kids, fears about work, mortgage, etc took on a more prominent role because I have a family to worry about so I also started eating more and gained weight. Granted, I love cooking- it's good to control what goes into your food and it saves money over buying prepared food or eating out. But it's also something that reassures a basic need when a higher tier need may be more difficult to address or identify. The difference between men and women in this regard is that men get hungry, see the mammoth and immediately pull out their forks and throw rocks at the mammoth. Women seek to develop relationships and networks so they have a team to go after the mammoth. Caveat, I have no formal training in behavior other than a little basic information that I've gleaned out of management/leadership classes, basic medical training for EMT and what I've read in general and I know Maslow has lost value in recent years, but I still think 90% of behavior comes from your body's reaction to it's physiological needs and immediate environment. The other 10% is character you build yourself and are influenced in by the people you have had contact with and events you have been involved in and isn't set until the first 90% is reasonably secure.
By the way, do you have a particular food style you are interested in?

kato
11 Apr 14,, 17:30
I hate Maslow.

Doktor
11 Apr 14,, 19:20
My smartphone is not that smart it seems. No autoparagraph :frown:

My eyes bleed.

DonBelt
11 Apr 14,, 23:01
I failed the paragraph portion of English back in 3rd grade.
I also speak that way- at least until I'm out of breath. :red:

Tamara
14 Apr 14,, 10:40
About food styles?

No, not really, aside from more stove top and oven from scratch and less and less, microwave and pre processed.

sated buddha
14 Apr 14,, 10:43
Stocking up on ready to fry frozen munchies this weekend (kids and holidays), got a different brand of Venky's sausages than the usual cocktail ones we buy. These ones when fried, when you cut/bite into them, an inner core of heated semi liquid cheese oozes out (or gets squeezed out like toothpaste from a tube .....). Weird and not very nice.

Tamara
20 Apr 14,, 05:13
It's not coffee unless you grind it yourself!

Thoughts?

DonBelt
20 Apr 14,, 06:50
You save more of the essential oils if you keep the beans whole then grind them when needed. Drives my dog nuts though.

Tamara
20 Apr 14,, 06:54
You save more of the essential oils if you keep the beans whole then grind them when needed. Drives my dog nuts though.

Take your word on it.

For me, when things become too easy, too instant, it's just no longer fun.

DonBelt
20 Apr 14,, 07:00
As to food styles I like cooking Italian, Mediterranean types of dishes plus stuff out of historical cook books. But comfort food is best- soups, chili, stews. In stead of hitting the bottle, I tend to hit the crock pot.
Getting away from processed food is always a good idea. I'm not overly paranoid about gmo and that sort of thing, but it's always best when you can control what goes into you. Economical too. We get a CSA with one of our local farms in town, plus we usually have a big garden. This weekend we will be adding to that by getting 6 chickens- should be interesting. My kids will still probably eat nothing but cheese curls and pizza, but we're trying.

Gun Grape
20 Apr 14,, 07:10
It's not coffee unless you grind it yourself!

Thoughts?

Real coffee comes from a white 5lb can. One that was sitting in some supply warehouse long enough to collect a 1/8in layer of dust.
Then it was transferred to a supply ship, then eventually transferred to the ship that will use it.

Some seaman/Lance Corporal on mess duty had coffee pot watch, and hates making "lifer juice". So during evening chow they made it extra strong so that no one would drink it.

The coffee then sat on the burner getting darker, and stronger until midrats. (5-6hrs)

Thats when, I, stuck on watch in the LFOC, went down to the mess deck and poured the perfect cup of Joe.

After that first taste I would have reenlisted on the spot, just for another cup

Tamara
20 Apr 14,, 07:15
Tonight's dinner was in the small wok pot: peanut butter, spices, frozen beef, lentils, brown rice, a red potato, split peas, I think lima beans. A nice, comfortable, economical meal with red wine.

Afterwards, coffee and chocolate.

Nourishing and filling....even if my midnight work schedule leaves me wanting for something.

Friday is usually "Italian", often spaghetti because I am too lazy to make pizza. Saturday is traditionally stir fry or generally speaking, wok pot with peanut butter. Sunday is Bouillabaisse because since my work week starts 8 hours early, I need to start the main meal early.....and I am trying to get some 'normal' sleep in.

And the rest of the week varies. Moors & Christians, sandwiches, salads if I am being good, a stew or so.

Comfort food for me is going out to buy something instead of making from what I have in stores. I was tempted, for instance, this evening to get the makings for a Margarita, but resisted and in the end at home, opted for tequila and tonic water.

And now, as things are, going to go back to my coffee and watching Charmed.......................after I feed the cats.

Real coffee comes from a white 5lb can. One that was sitting in some supply warehouse long enough to collect a 1/8in layer of dust.
Then it was transferred to a supply ship, then eventually transferred to the ship that will use it.

Some seaman/Lance Corporal on mes duty had coffee pot watch, and hates making "lifer juice". So during evening chow they made it extra strong so that no one would drink it.

The coffee then sat on the burner getting darker, and stronger until midrats. (5-6hrs)

Thats when, I, stuck on watch in the LFOC, went down to the mess deck and poured the perfect cup of Joe.

After that first taste I would have reenlisted on the spot, just for another cup

When I was in charge of Navy Police, I usually only had one cup of coffee a day.

Come in in the morning, read the police blotter with a mug full. Go off and report to the XO, come back, NUKE it, take a sip.

Go out for morning training, come back, NUKE it, have a sip.

Do more work, come back, NUKE it, have a sip.

Have afternoon meetings, come back, NUKE it...................

Gun Grape
20 Apr 14,, 07:21
It takes 2 cups of coffee for me to open my eyes.

Probably drink 2 pots a day.

Just finished my last cup of the day. Its bed time.

sated buddha
20 Apr 14,, 15:01
My kids will still probably eat nothing but cheese curls and pizza, but we're trying.

I feel you man.

Swap Kurkure for cheese curls.

Tamara
20 Apr 14,, 21:06
Sort of an edit from what I said last night.

I said "salads if I'm being good".....which is not meant to say that stews aren't being good for they are if in a different sort of way.

A little bit of this, a little bit of that, as do my main meal for today. Salmon, canned, bouillabaisse in the small wok pot. Chardonnay, anchovies (which supply the olive oil, too), spices, a potato, split peas, navy beans I think, lentils, black eyed peas, brown rice, a tea to supply the rest of the water.

In addition to being nourishing without too much extra stuff that one might find in processed food, it plays to a certain mental image of being self sufficient, thrifty, even low impact....even if I do pull on images from the movies like Reeves in "The Lake House" or various Star Wars.

But like most things, there is a tendency to over eat some, such as the extra cheese, the croutons, so like anything else, it isn't perfect.

Tamara
20 Apr 14,, 22:35
Oh, GOD, that was wonderful!

The stew, with cheese and garlic croutons, Romano & Parmessian cheese, served with Shiraz-Cabernet (Wakefield 2008 Promised Land), each thing bringing out the taste in the next, nothing too powerful or even overwhelming.

I couldn't taste the cayenne or chili powder, also had garlic, paprika, and dill in it. Salmon was canned as were the anchovies but the latter are more as a spice than a fish. And then it was one standard potato, split peas, lentils, black eyed peas, brown rice, and I think Navy beans. Cooked first in Risso (sp?) Chardonnay then the peppermint tea.

If I ever have another lover, i must be sure to serve it to them. He may be too far gone to rise to the occasion, but at least we can fall asleep together on the couch watching some love story.

sated buddha
21 Apr 14,, 10:58
I am going to post some images of some of my comfort food/TV munchies here ....

Bhakarwadi (these are spicy deep friend layered rolls cut into small discs)

Would love to see TV munchies of members from other countries!

sated buddha
21 Apr 14,, 11:11
Another favorite ...

Chiwda (spicy fried stuffed rice, corn flakes, groundnuts, coconut, raisins, dry fruits, potato strips, etc. mix)

Tamara
21 Apr 14,, 11:19
Well, today is busy, so it will probably be just a salad.

sated buddha
21 Apr 14,, 12:28
Toss some of this into your salad!

Chana choor, another comfort munchie (flattened spiced black gram)

sated buddha
21 Apr 14,, 12:31
Batter coated and deep friend spicy Masala Peanuts ..... (great with chilled beer)

Gun Grape
22 Apr 14,, 02:13
I am going to post some images of some of my comfort food/TV munchies here ....

Bhakarwadi (these are spicy deep friend layered rolls cut into small discs)

Would love to see TV munchies of members from other countries!

Since you have the deep fryer out. Try some Deep Fried Pickles (coat them with your favorite fish batter then fry) and Deep Fried Oreo Cookies (coat them with pancake batter)

Doktor
22 Apr 14,, 02:22
Well, today is busy, so it will probably be just a salad.

Cutting veggies is cooking now?

sated buddha
22 Apr 14,, 07:17
Since you have the deep fryer out. Try some Deep Fried Pickles (coat them with your favorite fish batter then fry) and Deep Fried Oreo Cookies (coat them with pancake batter)

Mmmmm .... the first one looks nice. The second too, though too rich as a TV munchie.

We have a whole range of batter covered deep fried munchies called Pakodas. Great with hot steaming chai (tea) sitting on the porch on a rainy day.

Mirchi (chilly) pakodas

Kanda bhaji (onion pakodas)

Batata bhaji (potato pakodas)

Moong dal (type of pulses) pakodas

Tamara
22 Apr 14,, 09:02
Cutting veggies is cooking now?

Well, if you want to get picky about it......then I suppose the cooking only applies when one cooks something to go in it, like fish, chicken, make your own croutons, something.

Still, the making of salad is rather interesting on how it differs from person to person.

When my parents were alive, I was rather amazed of how they did salad. They would cut the leaves apart, discard the "root", rinse, put the leaves in a salad spinner, get rid of the water, etc, etc.

Me, I use the entire leaf, break and tear it apart, don't use a spinner at all (I have been given them), use the water on the leaves after rinsing as something for spices to cling to. I don't use salad dressing at all, don't have it in the house. Any additional oils probably come from the fish I am using. This practice of having avocados with the seed depression filled with oil or dressing is something I left behind when I went to college or at least in my twenties.

As it was, tonight it was a brisket submarine anyhow. I had to go pickup some machine cleaning supplies for one of my jobs today and while I was at the Wally world, bought some day old bread, cheese, so when I finally got home, I had a meal. Warmed/cooked up a slice of brisket, used a few leaves of Romaine, a few slices of cheese off the block, chili powder, paprika, creole seasoning, oregano, downed it with some ice tea.

Ahhhh, sweet suffering............and perhaps my meal for the next 17-24 hours.

As far as the other recent entries, thank you, but deep frying is not on my menu choices.

sated buddha
22 Apr 14,, 09:53
Our grandparents always laugh at us and our modern health fads.

Most of them ate ghee by the kilo, all the fried food they could manage, salt and sugar like no one's business, worked hard, and lived well into their 90s (some 100+ as well).

P.S. Forgot to mention that they drank like fish too.

Tamara
22 Apr 14,, 11:10
Our grandparents always laugh at us and our modern health fads.

Most of them ate ghee by the kilo, all the fried food they could manage, salt and sugar like no one's business, worked hard, and lived well into their 90s (some 100+ as well).

P.S. Forgot to mention that they drank like fish too.

It's not a fad, it's just the way I like to eat.

If I want fried food, I'll go to Pappadeux's.

sated buddha
22 Apr 14,, 11:12
Pappadeux's.

Google makes me hungry.

Tamara
22 Apr 14,, 11:25
Google makes me hungry.

Me, too.

The thing about eating out is that it is best with friends.

sated buddha
22 Apr 14,, 11:28
Me, too.

The thing about eating out is that it is best with friends.

Food-wise (actually life wise) I'm a bit of a loner. My elder daughter too takes after me. I enjoy eating alone. Even my solitary whisky (or 2) when I'm in the mood I enjoy more in silence than in a crowd. Crowd means talking and I don't like doing that with either.

Tamara
14 May 14,, 11:02
"Oh, Tamara! Is all you ever think about is food?"

Probably yes.....but then again, that's not necessarily a bad thing.

Today, I was out foraging, where I go around to the cheap places, see if they are offering any bargains, get minor things to extend my resources. Went to Ross's looking for storage jars (nope!), stopped by Dollar Tree and picked up spices and beans for a decent price, went into the Dollar Store and practically everything in there, food wise.............was not a bargain. So left with hardly anything at all except for two bottles of wine to try, see if the brand is any good.

But my route did take me past the sushi place and was I tempted!..........only have my conscience point out that I had all these great food fixings at home and could make a pretty delicious meal at not only a fraction of what the buffet would be but also, with stuff that I had already spent money on. So it was home to a simple but tasty spaghetti dish.

But perhaps we are constantly influenced, conditioned, that food is not only for eating but also is an important social medium to do and for those who can, know how to use. A gathering of friends around the campfire or with a group of associates at a table, family style.

One of my favorite passages is in
where the meal is described with what they have and don't have to make it wonderful. Ie, (if I recall right), no chutney so they use raisins and mustard instead. From hence I've learned to have a kitchen loaded with spices, that when I shop I go to the spice rack to see what I can bring back. Now, with that story, there are disadvantages in that the book is slightly alcoholic and while a dessert choice of brandy or kahlua read wonderful, I find that having that stuff around in the house isn't worth it.

But still, that book does teach me, conditions me about at least two things. First, to forage, to stock to have a selection of food stuffs so to be able to always make some kind of decent, delicious meal. Secondly, that there is much value to be found in looking at out of the way, second hand, hole in the wall places, be it spices, books, parts, or what. (in the story, the Tiburon has an impressive private library). The down side is, however, that one usually needs lots of room.

Something else I've learned recently as well. I was at a gathering of friends last week and toward the end, with an hour trip ahead of me to home, I asked my hostess if I could trouble her for a cup of coffee. She said no problem and soon returned with a travel mug of delicious coffee. This is something I have to keep in mind in the future should it ever be asked of me. Coffee (milk & sugar) I could supply but to send my guest off with a travel mug? Just another item for me to have on my long, nice to have, ought to have shopping list.......just like to have mugs or the like to hand out to a group on a camping trip. This last time, it was minor; only my dive boss wanted a mug to mix a drink in......but then again, we didn't have any coffee, the means to heat water on chilly mornings. I have since added coffee pots to my supplies.

Of course, as I ponder to the how much of my own I should put into the group effort and couple it with my foraging, I should remember that I am not a creature where everything must match. If this and that works but does not look the same, that's okay with me. What is important here is does it work for the task and for where it is needed, does it fit into a nook for storage............plus, given the decent possibility that I might never see it again once it is used, is it cheap enough to write off?

Now, two things I was able to resist today when I was shopping was more wok pots, more knives. In reverse order, it seems that one thinks they never have enough knives, that more is better. I had broken a favorite one last week, so I was in the mood at least to get another, get more. But I am rather at the max on my magnetic wall racks for them now and am wary about how cheaply they might be built at the hilt, so I didn't. Wok pots are nice, but as I already have 4.......

and got to go, perhaps more later.

DonBelt
14 May 14,, 22:01
I could live with no other pots or pans, but a wok and dutch oven. Maybe a GI canteen cup...

Albany Rifles
14 May 14,, 22:04
Don,

Spent 2 Saturdays ago doing my annual reseasoning of my 2 Dutch ovens and my cast iron frying pan and griddle.

DonBelt
14 May 14,, 22:35
Did you do it on a fire or your oven? Did it in my oven once, worked well, but smoked out the house. Now I am forbidden from doing it in the oven.:red:

Doktor
14 May 14,, 22:40
Did you do it on a fire or your oven? Did it in my oven once, worked well, but smoked out the house. Now I am forbidden from doing it in the oven.:red:

Should that stop you?

DonBelt
14 May 14,, 22:58
Probably not, but to keep the peace and tranquility in the family I am willing to make a sacrifice. She's already put up with my boiling of cow horns when I made a powder horn, dressing of game animals and a few experiments in cheese making and meat potting.

Tamara
15 May 14,, 00:19
A quick entry. Tried the Spring Creek Cabernet and ............................

........................................that has to be the WEAKEST Cabernet I've ever tasted and the worst wine for the cost. It's even lousier than box wine, lower on the scale than Oak Leaf (but costs more).

Tamara
15 May 14,, 07:48
As I was eating a quick meal of spaghetti out of the can (did throw some spices in it), I wondered:

US forces now use MRE's but what forces of other major, well significant, countries around the world still use something like C rations?

Albany Rifles
15 May 14,, 14:31

Neither. I have a ginormous gas grill...that's what I use. And while there is smoke pouring out I can drink a beer and look to Household 6 and say..."Honey, I'm working here! Can't you see! If I leave this now it will season lopsided!"

Doktor
15 May 14,, 14:35
Neither. I have a ginormous gas grill...that's what I use. And while there is smoke pouring out I can drink a beer and look to Household 6 and say..."Honey, I'm working here! Can't you see! If I leave this now it will season lopsided!"

I just realized something...

You are a redneck!

Albany Rifles
15 May 14,, 15:05
I just realized something...

You are a redneck!

No...but I hang out with a bunch!

Plus I was a Scoutmaster!

Doktor
15 May 14,, 15:07
Admit it you re lurking for an V8 lawnmower :biggrin:

Even if you are, we'd still love you. Well, me at least.

Albany Rifles
15 May 14,, 15:28
Already have a John Deere.

And trust me, I am not a motorhead!

I drive a 2008 RAV 4 with 150,000 miles on which is full of dog hair and stained upholstery.

Cars and such are just tools for me....

But food!

Food is a full contact sport!

You should try my grilled Caesar salad.....or Chicken Buffalo Wing Burgers w/ Bleu Cheese....or pork tenderloin.....or Dutch Oven jambalaya.....or Pecan planked salmon......

Doktor
15 May 14,, 15:54
I am hungry...