PDA

View Full Version : Cricket - The Greatest Game of all

Bigfella
01 Apr 14,, 09:53
There are clearly a few cricket fans on WAB so it seems sensible to create a thread for cricket discussions. Doing it on a thread about Brendon McCullum seems a bit silly & will get sillier as time moves on.

This can be a place for updates on current tournaments or series, developments off the field, history, discussions & even arguments. This year we have already had the 2 top test teams play a thrilling series in Sth Africa; a T20 World Cup ongoing; Mouth watering Test series involving Australia, Pakistan, India & England and at the start of 2015 the 50 over a side World Cup in Australia & New Zealand.

Plenty to be going on with there.

Bigfella
01 Apr 14,, 10:05
I'll kick off with an update on the ongoing T20 World Cup in Bangladesh. We aren't getting full coverage here & I'm not interested enough to pay close attention, so hopefully others will keep us updated/fill in the details. If not I'll pitch in.

At this point three of the four semi-finalists have been decided. India & Sth Africa will play off in on match, while Pakistan & the West Indies are effectively playing off for a spot in the other semi against Sri Lanka. Thus far the big surprises of the tournament have been Australia losing 3 straight & England losing to a Netherlands team that was unlucky not to beat Sth Africa as well. it has been a bad few months for England & this just sticks the boot in. Having missed qualification for the 50 over World Cup just last month this is a big boost for Dutch cricket.

India is the form side at the moment, but T20 is a fickle beast where a few overs can turn a game on its head. In theory a Sri Lanka/India final would seem likely, but the possibility of an India/Pakistan 'grudge match' in the final is truly enticing. Pakistan is one of those teams that can lose to an under-12s side one day & beat the best in the world the next, so the last few games could be interesting.

sated buddha
01 Apr 14,, 10:31
Every match with Pakistan is a grudge match. My friends and I've sat with Pakistanis and watched part of the match against them the last World Cup. Both sides go out of the way to be sacharine sweet and polite to one another, trying to outdo the other in terms of mehman nawazi (being a gracious host), but you can cut the tension just under the thin crust with a knife .....

Cricket is not just a game for most of us.

And when it comes to Pakistan, neither is hockey. Can't think of any other sport which raise similar passions for both sides. Sadly just as India controls world cricket and effectively lays down the rules, so too did modern hockey get controlled and modified by Western teams to suit their own game and style of play. India and Pakistan being the biggest losers, both being masters of fast fluid artistry rather than power and the long game.

bolo121
01 Apr 14,, 12:49
Every match with Pakistan is a grudge match. My friends and I've sat with Pakistanis and watched part of the match against them the last World Cup. Both sides go out of the way to be sacharine sweet and polite to one another, trying to outdo the other in terms of mehman nawazi (being a gracious host), but you can cut the tension just under the thin crust with a knife .....

Cricket is not just a game for most of us.

And when it comes to Pakistan, neither is hockey. Can't think of any other sport which raise similar passions for both sides. Sadly just as India controls world cricket and effectively lays down the rules, so too did modern hockey get controlled and modified by Western teams to suit their own game and style of play. India and Pakistan being the biggest losers, both being masters of fast fluid artistry rather than power and the long game.

Erm no. I dont really care since i grew out of teenage years.

Hockey is pretty boring to watch but frightening to play.
I remember guys in school who knew how to break bones and not get caught for it.
Its never a good idea to give a bunch of teenagers big wooden bats and tell them to go at it.

sated buddha
01 Apr 14,, 13:31
Erm no. I dont really care since i grew out of teenage years.

You are an aberration. You are an exception to the rule, a tiny microsm of cricket-is-war mad India where Pakistan is concerned. But I guess you already know that and like being contrary and airy for some reason.

I remember guys in school who knew how to break bones and not get caught for it.
Its never a good idea to give a bunch of teenagers big wooden bats and tell them to go at it.

As for hockey, I'm one of the guys whose ilk you knew, and I'm guessing I knew some of yours as well. :)

DarthSiddius
01 Apr 14,, 15:19
There are sports other than cricket that matter? :Dancing-Banana:

Pedicabby
01 Apr 14,, 15:35

You guys have hockey over there these days?

Blademaster
01 Apr 14,, 16:21
You guys have hockey over there these days?

Field hockey.

DarthSiddius
01 Apr 14,, 18:28
Needless to say, my Pakistani coworker has a frown on his face today...

bolo121
01 Apr 14,, 18:33
You are an aberration. You are an exception to the rule, a tiny microsm of cricket-is-war mad India where Pakistan is concerned. But I guess you already know that and like being contrary and airy for some reason.

In other words i am sane and realize that the only people who really win from all this fervour are advertisers plus the looters of the BCCI.
However going from the attitude i see in my pretty big office I dont think the fervour you describ is still there. At least not in Bangalore.

I have been described as pessimistic sometimes but you are the first to call me airy of all things.
Its not a matter of being contrary, I just look at the pattern and if its distasteful, I dont participate.

As for hockey, I'm one of the guys whose ilk you knew, and I'm guessing I knew some of yours as well. :)

Man thats just such a North Indian thing to say.

DarthSiddius
01 Apr 14,, 20:31
In other words i am sane and realize that the only people who really win from all this fervour are advertisers plus the looters of the BCCI.

Actually, you can be a fan of cricket and the Indian cricket team without being a fan of the BCCI, just saying! But taking a look at our bowlers I can understand...

Bigfella
01 Apr 14,, 21:39
There are sports other than cricket that matter? :Dancing-Banana:

Not during the summer or a winter tour of England. Aussie Rules in the winter, Cricket in the summer. Perfection!

DarthSiddius
01 Apr 14,, 23:10
That's cute, we gotta sit through the IPL in the summers.

sated buddha
02 Apr 14,, 07:42
We need to tackle Steyn. Need to dent his psyche in the very first over. A case for an ambush hitter maybe. Morkel is difficult but not particularly unmanageable.

sated buddha
02 Apr 14,, 09:10
However going from the attitude i see in my pretty big office I dont think the fervour you describ is still there. At least not in Bangalore.

I have been described as pessimistic sometimes but you are the first to call me airy of all things.
Its not a matter of being contrary, I just look at the pattern and if its distasteful, I dont participate.

Cricket is not followed by the head, but by the heart. If you need to analyse and decide on "participation", you are indeed better off watching some other sport. Golf or chess maybe.

Man thats just such a North Indian thing to say.

Why? Because "Northies" are crass and break bones and "Southies" are timid rassam sipping puppies who get beaten up?

Talk about jaundiced prejudices and pigeon-holing man .....

bolo121
02 Apr 14,, 12:23
Cricket is not followed by the head, but by the heart. If you need to analyse and decide on "participation", you are indeed better off watching some other sport. Golf or chess maybe.

Of course there is heart in cricket, otherwise it wouldn't be fun. But what makes it special is that there is much more on offer.
I enjoy the ebb and flow of a proper game, plan and counter plan and so on.
You are a go by the gut and feel everything person it seems, I begin to see how you enjoy T20 so much.

Why? Because "Northies" are crass and break bones and "Southies" are timid rassam sipping puppies who get beaten up?

Talk about jaundiced prejudices and pigeon-holing man .....

Your earlier reply was a pretty standard northie dialogue. I am tough and break bones and you are sissies.
If you felt pigeonholed, my apologies.

sated buddha
02 Apr 14,, 13:11
Of course there is heart in cricket, otherwise it wouldn't be fun. But what makes it special is that there is much more on offer.
I enjoy the ebb and flow of a proper game, plan and counter plan and so on.
You are a go by the gut and feel everything person it seems, I begin to see how you enjoy T20 so much.

I enjoy all cricket. And we were not talking about cricket per se, but specifically (in this interplay) cricket against Pakistan. If you do not have heart there, then it can only mean one of two things. Neither very complimentary I'm afraid.

Your earlier reply was a pretty standard northie dialogue. I am tough and break bones and you are sissies.
If the shoe fits...

Well, speaking of shoes, your original comment with regard to school hockey to which I replied in the first place was pretty standard momma-boy meets speco nerd sissy stuff.

If the shoe fits .....

bolo121
02 Apr 14,, 13:24
I enjoy all cricket. And we were not talking about cricket per se, but specifically (in this interplay) cricket against Pakistan. If you do not have heart there, then it can only mean one of two things. Neither very complimentary I'm afraid.

Just because I am not interested in sports as a substitute for jingoism... I dont see what you are going on about.

Well, speaking of shoes, your original comment with regard to school hockey to which I replied in the first place was pretty standard momma-boy meets speco nerd sissy stuff.

If the shoe fits .....

Mammas boy accusations? Again this is typical Northie over macho posturing.
I admit freely that I am not physically strong and do have powerful prescription glasses.

sated buddha
02 Apr 14,, 13:36
Just because I am not interested in sports as a substitute for jingoism... I dont see what you are going on about.

Jingoism, fascism. Do you also carry a jhola to go with those specs?

Mammas boy accusations? Again this is typical Northie over macho posturing.
I admit freely that I am not physically strong and do have powerful prescription glasses.

I'm not surprised.

Just know this. A healthy strong active kid who likes sports and who might break a bone or two growing up (his own or someone else's - I've done both) does not automatically become a macho northie.

Just like a frail kid with fat specs who does not or cannot play sport does not automatically become a pansie southie.

Hope that puts things neatly into the respective pigeon holes you so obviously like lumping people you've never met into.

What I did say, before you misconstrued (probably a result of being picked on growing up), was that I was the latter and I had known many kids who were the former. And you sounded like one. Nothing judgmental or macho. Just the way different kids are.

Doktor
02 Apr 14,, 16:03
Cricket the great game of all...

I wouldn't usually put a hate in a thread I have little to no interest, but such an absolutistic title provokes. Sure it is The Greatest. For avoiding. No other game I would avoid more.

DarthSiddius
02 Apr 14,, 16:38
^Cease and desist, you!

bolo121
02 Apr 14,, 17:53
Deleted as derailed the thread away from cricket.

Firestorm
02 Apr 14,, 19:28
Can you guys please create another thread for your catfight and leave this one alone?

tantalus
02 Apr 14,, 20:22
, but T20 is a fickle beast where a few overs can turn a game on its head.
Is that why you are not as interested in T20? ofcourse the aussies are decisively more dominant at test cricket where a larger pool of players are required...

Cricket the great game of all...

I wouldn't usually put a hate in a thread I have little to no interest, but such an absolutistic title provokes. Sure it is The Greatest. For avoiding. No other game I would avoid more.
I like alot of sports, but cricket was never one of them. That said, T50, and T20 have grown on me. I find test cricket lacks the condensed excitement that I enjoy in sport, plus T20 provides upsets and allows smaller nations with fewer players to be competitive, a major plus in a sport that lacks competitive nations. I'm irish, and could be accused of bias as Ireland are very competitive at T20 where the quota for quality players is smaller, and with batsmen in particular, we have enough to get by.

Test cricket is for the purists, but tradition aside, I would be interested in hearing technical, objective arguments to why it is the best format from the spectators point of view, from those who hold that opinion.

Bigfella
02 Apr 14,, 21:38
Tantalus,

No time now, but I'll formulate answers soon.

Dok,

To be fair, Cricket is the equal greatest with Aussie Rules, but the title was too clunky.

SB & Bolo, can we keen the discussion on cricket?

To all - cricket inspires brilliance like this. Enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xO0wVVMOR8

DarthSiddius
02 Apr 14,, 21:43
Think of test cricket as a narrative - it's a test of persistence and grit. T20s and ODIs have their own merits, but they are hindered by the fact that they represent only the shiniest and uppermost layers of cricket - in other words they are a fraction of what this sport can truly deliver. Obviously, this is not the case for every test match or ODI.

For test matches the games goes on and on - you played good for an hour and a half? Well done but the job is not finished, you have another day (or more) to keep the ball rolling. All it takes is one session to completely alter the direction of the match. The objective is not limited to winning or losing the match in it's totality, but can morph from session to session. You might be losing the game from the start of day one, but suddenly a spirited performance or two boosts the teams moral and they end up saving the match. A draw can be a win in test cricket!

Needless to say, test cricket facilitates an equal competition between the bat and the ball. Limited overs cricket is heavily skewed against the bowler and enables batsmen to score runs with relative ease. Test cricket on the other hand has no such limitations, so runs scored in test matches are harder to come by and require a lot more skill and temperament.

And the most important point of all, test cricket has Tea breaks!

DarthSiddius
02 Apr 14,, 21:53
ofcourse the aussies are decisively more dominant at test cricket where a larger pool of players are required...

This thread is more entertaining than the aussie top order. WE SHALL SOON FIND OUT!!!! :tongue:

tantalus
03 Apr 14,, 00:33
Tantalus,

No time now, but I'll formulate answers soon.

Well, don't get too carried away, :)

Think of test cricket as a narrative - it's a test of persistence and grit. T20s and ODIs have their own merits, but they are hindered by the fact that they represent only the shiniest and uppermost layers of cricket - in other words they are a fraction of what this sport can truly deliver. Obviously, this is not the case for every test match or ODI.

For test matches the games goes on and on - you played good for an hour and a half? Well done but the job is not finished, you have another day (or more) to keep the ball rolling. All it takes is one session to completely alter the direction of the match. The objective is not limited to winning or losing the match in it's totality, but can morph from session to session. You might be losing the game from the start of day one, but suddenly a spirited performance or two boosts the teams moral and they end up saving the match. A draw can be a win in test cricket!

Needless to say, test cricket facilitates an equal competition between the bat and the ball. Limited overs cricket is heavily skewed against the bowler and enables batsmen to score runs with relative ease. Test cricket on the other hand has no such limitations, so runs scored in test matches are harder to come by and require a lot more skill and temperament.

And the most important point of all, test cricket has Tea breaks!
I hear you and I understand, but if any sport goes on a very long time it can benefit from that narrative concept . It's a good point regarding favour to the batsmen and in test cricket they have to be far more careful, but from the spectator view, on balance, I am incline to see that as a disadvantage, the bowler still requires skill to prevent the batsmen from making those boundaries in T20, but we also get to see alot more point scoring action, plus tight finishes and high scoring overs or overs with multiple wickets lost.

This thread is more entertaining than the aussie top order. WE SHALL SOON FIND OUT!!!! :tongue:
Ah well, that was mostly meant as tongue in cheek...

bolo121
03 Apr 14,, 04:52
Sorry guys, got carried away on a boring afternoon.

Will keep it on cricket from now on.

sated buddha
03 Apr 14,, 07:47
I do agree T50 and T20 are heavily skewed in the favor of the batters. But that is really not all that hard to remedy. Remove the restrictions on the fielding side. Let them pack which part of the field they wish. Just prevent them from bowling wide or negative. That's no fun for anyone. Bowl all the bouncers you wish (well .... at least 3 .... 6 per over could be the equivalent of bowling wide or negative down the leg side). No free hits crap please. And for the T50, divid it into two innings of 25 overs each. Effectively even out the really unfair artificila light and dew factors which is often the 12th man.

Test cricket simply put as a spectator sport (unless played out on consecutive weekends) is simply not an option for the majority of the working demographic. I don't think cricket would be the same (pure or not) without the participation of spectators. And like all modern sport, spectators and eyeballs mean money. Everyone needs to be paid.

Bigfella
03 Apr 14,, 09:51
Is that why you are not as interested in T20? ofcourse the aussies are decisively more dominant at test cricket where a larger pool of players are required...

I'm not interested in T20 because it is contrived, disposable, repetitive & shallow. It is instantly forgettable. As I said elsewhere, I can recall test matches I saw in the 1970s & I can describe things that happened in test matches before my father was born. I can barely recall the last T20 I saw. It is like seeing Einstein reduced to talking about the Khardashians. Forever.

National success has no bearing on it. I have only marginally more interest in 50 over cricket, and we are the most successful nation in history at that.

I like alot of sports, but cricket was never one of them. That said, T50, and T20 have grown on me. I find test cricket lacks the condensed excitement that I enjoy in sport, plus T20 provides upsets and allows smaller nations with fewer players to be competitive, a major plus in a sport that lacks competitive nations. I'm irish, and could be accused of bias as Ireland are very competitive at T20 where the quota for quality players is smaller, and with batsmen in particular, we have enough to get by.

Test cricket is for the purists, but tradition aside, I would be interested in hearing technical, objective arguments to why it is the best format from the spectators point of view, from those who hold that opinion.

Darth did a magnificent job of explaining tests, I'll try not to repeat too much.

I'll try not to get too much into tradition, but it matters in Test cricket. The sense of being part of a historical continuum is one of the things I love about it. I learned to love cricket at the feet of my father as he did at the feet of his. I can remember seeing my uncle's eyes light up talking about seeing Bradman bat just once. I realise that this is one of the problems people have with 'getting into' test cricket. It is not a game that is easy to approach or find a way into, especially in a world where sport is packaged as an 'excitement machine'.

To me, Test Cricket is like the Sistine Chapel, 50 over is a small painting & T20 a rough sketch. The shorter versions of the game have been specifically engineered to be 'exciting' but at the expense of a balanced contest. it also results in an incredibly repetitive game. I used to be quite enthusiastic about 50 over games, but over time they just began to seem very repetitive. Apart from World Cups I struggle to get excited because I know I will be seeing much the same thing I saw last year or 20 years ago. From your point of view I can see why these sports are both more approachable & more interesting. They are easier to digest & more relevant. They are a good starting point - we take my 6 year old nephew to T20 games. In time he will go to 50 over games & then tests. He already watches parts of those on TV.

In a test match conditions change. Not once, or twice, but repeatedly. Tests are not simply a test of ability in a specific moment, but of endurance. You have to be good for 5 days, not 30 minutes. Decisions you make on day 1 can have repercussions on day 5. Mistakes you make on day 1 can be redeemed later. There is time to adapt & change. As Darth said, you can almost lose a game in one session & be back on top by the end of the next, then back again. In the last test I went to both Australia & England were on top several times & England ended up losing a game they should have won.

The strategy & tactics of the game are magnificent. Bowlers can set fields & bowl with an aim to get a batsman many overs later. Shane Warne would famously work on batsmen not just for overs, but days on & off. he would try to get inside their heads & get them to slowly change how they played him in order to get their wicket. Such things are beautiful to watch. They are not just about what is happening in the moment, but what will happen days from then. Test cricket is a game of mind and body. Bowlers & batsmen need to endure long periods at the crease to succeed. A bowler can run further in a day than a marathon runner & a batsman can be at the crease for many, many hours. One lapse of concentration can end his innings. It is the combination of time, conditions, physical & mental requirements and balance that give tests their depth. The range of possibilities in a test are so vastly greater than in limited overs cricket. Even a boring test can have wonderful moments. They are the ultimate Test of all the disciplines of the game.

I understand the 'condensed excitement' aspect of sport. My other favourite sport is Australian Rules, one of the most exciting sports in the world & the one requiring the greatest all round skills. These are games you watch every minute of, glues to the action. Test cricket doesn't need to be watched from start to finish. It has never been that sort of game. You watch a session here & there. You listen to it on the radio. You check the score on your computer at work & watch the day's highlights at home at night. Even at a game people chat, read the paper & drift in & out of the contest. Test cricket happens around you. You break it down into digestible pieces & consume it that way. From my perspective not all sport needs to be short, spectacular & immediate. There is a place for the explosive, tactical & physical & a place for the cerebral & the strategic. Test cricket exists in a different time & place and that is one of its joys. In a world of 'now, now, now' and instant gratification it is about waiting for the payoff & playing the 'long game'. It has a place.

Approach it slowly. Delve into a bit of the history & consume it in bite sized chunks. it will repay the investment.

sated buddha
03 Apr 14,, 13:39
Whose going to win today?

I have my money on the West Indians. Literally.

My bookie got me a deal at 87/100 before it corrected midday to 19/20 - where most of the big players are hovering right now.

tantalus
04 Apr 14,, 20:39
I'm not interested in T20 because it is contrived, disposable, repetitive & shallow. It is instantly forgettable. As I said elsewhere, I can recall test matches I saw in the 1970s & I can describe things that happened in test matches before my father was born.
In your case, I think it might be best to not compare t20 to test cricket.

I'll try not to get too much into tradition, but it matters in Test cricket. The sense of being part of a historical continuum is one of the things I love about it. I learned to love cricket at the feet of my father as he did at the feet of his. I can remember seeing my uncle's eyes light up talking about seeing Bradman bat just once. I realise that this is one of the problems people have with 'getting into' test cricket. It is not a game that is easy to approach or find a way into, especially in a world where sport is packaged as an 'excitement machine'.
When I said technical and objective, it was actually to avoid this, but I am still glad you shared. Personal experiences make it more difficult to assess the merit of a sport when comparing it against another. Such a comparison is fraught with difficulties and subjective opinions, but it isn't entirely a baseless analysis either.

For someone who doesn't grow up with test cricket, or is not born in one of the competitive nations, there can be no history to connect or invest emotionally in. This makes it a more closed sport, many good things are of this nature, nothing wrong with that.

There is a place for the explosive, tactical & physical & a place for the cerebral & the strategic. Test cricket exists in a different time & place and that is one of its joys. In a world of 'now, now, now' and instant gratification it is about waiting for the payoff & playing the 'long game'. It has a place.

Fair enough

sated buddha
05 Apr 14,, 08:09
Is any total defended by any international bowling attack safe from this Indian batting lineup?

I think not.

More importantly, most international captains think not too.

sated buddha
05 Apr 14,, 08:20
Ball of the Century!

Which is the greater ball? Everyone is already making the comparisons, and pointing out the similarities.

Forget bowler to bowler - talk on the merits of each delivery and the caliber of the batter.

Oracle
06 Apr 14,, 20:03
Is any total defended by any international bowling attack safe from this Indian batting lineup?

I think not.

More importantly, most international captains think not too.

Really? Arrogance is bliss!

bolo121
06 Apr 14,, 20:06
Just logged on to the web to check the results.
As expected Lankan bowling was too much for us when dragging the millstone of Yuvraj.

I was watching Bahrain GP instead and it was unexpectedly quite good.

Oracle
06 Apr 14,, 20:12
Just logged on to the web to check the results.
As expected Lankan bowling was too much for us when dragging the millstone of Yuvraj.

I was watching Bahrain GP instead and it was unexpectedly quite good.

I was cooking beef curry, mackeral masala and pulao. Some friends came over with beers. Had to watch this junkie's fix because of my friends. Could have done better, cooking another dish for the busy weekdays to come. What a fcuking waste.

Bigfella
06 Apr 14,, 22:41
Well done Sri Lanka. Keeping the greatest batting lineup in the history of history to a mere 130 is a remarkable achievement. Congratulations!

:danc:

Congratulations also to the Australian women for beating England. Can't say I'm especially interested in women's cricket, but I'm pleased that the ladies have been so successful in raising the profile of their sport in the past few years.

sated buddha
07 Apr 14,, 09:14
Its amusing when also rans get excited about better teams that have thrashed them silly take a beating later on in a tournament they long since got bundled out of.

Actualy its more pathetic than amusing. But lets not split hairs ..... the picture remains the same. We all know how much true love the Aussies really have for the Sri Lankans. :whome: Singlehandedly leading a vindictive campaign of villification for an entire generation against one of the greatest spinners to have ever played the game. With quiet humility and grace.

Typical of bullies around the world. Whinge when under the cosh. And by the look of things, world cricket needs to prep itself for a generation or two of Grade A+ whinging moving forward from here.

Bigfella
07 Apr 14,, 10:00
:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

DarthSiddius
07 Apr 14,, 16:34
Well done Sri Lanka. Keeping the greatest batting lineup in the history of history to a mere 130 is a remarkable achievement. Congratulations!

Yuvraj Singh would like to have a word with you, in private, away from all the glare he's been getting lately.

Oracle
07 Apr 14,, 19:45
Angry fans reportedly attack Yuvraj Singh’s house after poor showing in World T20 final (http://www.foxsports.com.au/cricket/old-icc-world-twenty20/angry-fans-reportedly-attack-yuvraj-singhs-house-after-poor-showing-in-world-t20-final/story-e6frf3m3-1226876934214)

Bigfella
07 Apr 14,, 22:41
Yuvraj Singh would like to have a word with you, in private, away from all the glare he's been getting lately.

I'm not the one he needs to talk to. ;)

Angry fans reportedly attack Yuvraj Singh’s house after poor showing in World T20 final (http://www.foxsports.com.au/cricket/old-icc-world-twenty20/angry-fans-reportedly-attack-yuvraj-singhs-house-after-poor-showing-in-world-t20-final/story-e6frf3m3-1226876934214)

Looks like the sulking isn't limited to internet warriors. How utterly pathetic! Its a bloody game.

DarthSiddius
07 Apr 14,, 22:58
The dumb-asses need their fifteen seconds of fame..... really moronic

sated buddha
08 Apr 14,, 07:19
Yuvraj is a glittering gem of Indian cricket and one of the greatest heroes and legends this great land has produced.

One can forgive Yuvraj a whole lot because what he has given us is a whole lot more than what he ever lost us ......

Spank them second rung whingers hard! :wors::tankie:

Oracle
08 Apr 14,, 07:26
Actually, losing the WT20 final is nothing when T20 fans doesn't have a solid base to place their arguments on, but have a point to make nevertheless. Epic.

sated buddha
08 Apr 14,, 07:33
Good to see that no one country has a monopoly on second rung whingers too.

Bigfella
08 Apr 14,, 10:01
The dumb-asses need their fifteen seconds of fame..... really moronic

There is something about people who are arrogant in victory & throw tantrums in defeat which is especially unappealing. Indian supporters should be proud that their nation made the final rather than treating victory like a birth right whose denial results in petulant displays.

I was disappointed when Australia lost in 1996, but I was pleased that onetime minnow Sri Lanka had finally won something. I was also pleased that India won the last 50/50 World Cup for Sachin's sake - he deserved a trophy. Winning is great, but sport offers so much more for those who choose to see it.

tantalus
10 Apr 14,, 18:57
I've always been a big fan of test cricket ;)

Ireland cricketers to have Test opportunity - RTÉ Sport (http://www.rte.ie/sport/cricket/2014/0410/608052-ireland-tests/)

Ireland will have a chance to play Test cricket under a new play-off system approved by the International Cricket Council.

The ICC Test Challenge, which will take place every four years from 2018, will see the winners of the ICC Intercontinental Cup play four five-day Tests against the lowest-ranked Test team.

Ireland beat Afghanistan in the Intercontinental Cup final in 2013.

Under the new plan, the winners of the Cup for associate nations - Ireland, Afghanistan, Scotland, United Arab Emirates, Namibia, Canada, Kenya and Netherlands - will play against the side ranked number 10 (at the end of December 2017) of the Test nations.

Of the five tournaments held since 2004, Ireland have won four.

The outcome of two five-day matches at home and away is expected to determine which team then becomes a Test-playing nation for the next four-year cycle, in accordance with a plan announced by the ICC two months ago at a meeting in Singapore as one of many major changes on and off the field.

It is following the conclusion of this week's two-day board meeting in Dubai that more details have emerged.

ICC chief executive David Richardson said: "The ICC Test Challenge now opens the door for associate members to play Test cricket and in doing so gives even greater context to the ICC Intercontinental Cup, which will now be a pathway to Test cricket."

bolo121
11 Apr 14,, 07:57
An article on T20 from EspnCricinfo

The author makes much of the same statements as BF I think

I have previously argued that T20 is not really cricket. That was based, in part, on the simple observation that giving teams ten wickets to play with over 20 overs against nine fielders and five bowlers (each limited to four overs each) skews the contest hopelessly in favour of the bat. I used the example of Chris Martin (Test average 2.36), who was arguably the worst batsman of his generation. Martin was dismissed 52 times in 615 deliveries in 104 Test innings. He faced 11.8 deliveries per dismissal. Eleven Chris Martins would have fallen two balls short of surviving 20 overs on average.

Blogs: Kartikeya Date: Why T20 is a disfigured caricature of cricket | Cricket Blogs | ESPN Cricinfo (http://www.espncricinfo.com/blogs/content/story/730319.html)

Bigfella
11 Apr 14,, 08:13
An article on T20 from EspnCricinfo

The author makes much of the same statements as BF I think

Blogs: Kartikeya Date: Why T20 is a disfigured caricature of cricket | Cricket Blogs | ESPN Cricinfo (http://www.espncricinfo.com/blogs/content/story/730319.html)

Obviously a man of discernment & taste with a towering intellect & incisive arguments. :biggrin:;)

sated buddha
11 Apr 14,, 09:09
A blog.

Must be holy gospel.

Should apply for entry into Wisden next ....

Oracle
21 Apr 14,, 16:24
Anyone watching IPL T20?

DarthSiddius
10 Jul 14,, 18:42
So.. Ind v Eng, much fun was had today!

Oracle
20 Aug 14,, 18:26
So, everybody knows it now. India Vs Eng : 1-3 (test series 2014, 5 matches). What a shame the paper tigers of the sub-continent brought us.

Dhoni's captaincy not up to Test standard: Mike Brearley (http://ibnlive.in.com/news/cricketnext/dhonis-captaincy-not-up-to-test-standard-mike-brearley/493249-78.html)

Dhoni needs to be sacked. Gary needs to be brought back.

Bigfella
21 Aug 14,, 01:39
So, everybody knows it now. India Vs Eng : 1-3 (test series 2014, 5 matches). What a shame the paper tigers of the sub-continent brought us.

Dhoni's captaincy not up to Test standard: Mike Brearley (http://ibnlive.in.com/news/cricketnext/dhonis-captaincy-not-up-to-test-standard-mike-brearley/493249-78.html)

Looks like India's overseas form is consistent. Be interested to see how they do here in the summer. We are improving, but still vulnerable.

First time in months I wish SB was still here. :biggrin:

bolo121
21 Aug 14,, 04:12

So far so predictable. I was actually expecting something like 0 - 4.
At least winning one was nice.

Dhoni clearly does not like or understand test cricket.
He cannot be fired because of Srinivasan's clout so at least he could do the right thing and step down from test captaincy.

As so many people have mentioned, we need to set aside designated venues as pace development ones with training academies attached.

cataphract
21 Aug 14,, 05:24
A lot of people here calling for Dhoni's head, but who will replace him as the captain? He clearly isn't made out for the test format, but there doesn't seem to be a replacement yet. Please no one suggest Kohli.

commander
21 Aug 14,, 09:03
I love Football actually crazy about it :).. BUT Cricket is more than love.. It's more like religion to me... And India vs Pakistan games are like something i grew up with. So yeah Cricket is one of THE games out there :D

tankie
21 Aug 14,, 09:23
Liverpool , joint 1st in the prem ,even after shergar is sold to barca , woo hoo , cricket , wassat , :whome: :biggrin:

Oracle
12 Sep 14,, 09:16
A lot of people here calling for Dhoni's head, but who will replace him as the captain? He clearly isn't made out for the test format, but there doesn't seem to be a replacement yet. Please no one suggest Kohli.

Graeme Smith.

sated buddha
12 Sep 14,, 09:24
First time in months I wish SB was still here. :biggrin:

I'm still here.

I think we sucked badly after flattering to deceive early on.

I do think world cricket has changed permanently. Or at least the process is well underway and near complete. If India sucks at tests (and we do currently), and Indians lose interest in tests (already happening), test cricket will eventually die. That's what I see happening at the current rate with IPL and our one day dominance.

I hope it does not. But money controls cricket. And the money comes from one country and one people mainly.

Bigfella
12 Sep 14,, 11:29
I'm still here.

So it appears. Really has been a shit week for WAB.

I think we sucked badly after flattering to deceive early on.

I do think world cricket has changed permanently. Or at least the process is well underway and near complete. If India sucks at tests (and we do currently), and Indians lose interest in tests (already happening), test cricket will eventually die. That's what I see happening at the current rate with IPL and our one day dominance.

I hope it does not. But money controls cricket. And the money comes from one country and one people mainly.

Tests won't 'die', the will be killed because the country that is being allowed to control the game via money can't win them or make money off them. Both situations could be remedied, but that would require a bit of effort, so no chance there. It is not necessary for either money or India to control cricket, but greed & moral cowardice will probably win in the end. Hopefully by the time that happens I will be too old to care.

Don't worry SB, eventually India will create a version of cricket it can dominate, allowing people like you to make grandiose claims about the history of the game that rely on ignoring pretty much all of it. Mediocrity will carry the day.

sated buddha
12 Sep 14,, 11:37
So it appears. Really has been a shit week for WAB.

I'm stil here.

Tests won't 'die', the will be killed because the country that is being allowed to control the game via money can't win them or make money off them.

Same thing. They will still die. Natural death or starvation. The result remains the same.

Both situations could be remedied, but that would require a bit of effort

Not effort. It would require money. Bums on seats, orbs on screens.

India has the bums and the orbs. And the money follows.

Followed in turn by the cream of international talent.

It is not necessary for either money or India to control cricket, but greed & moral cowardice will probably win in the end. Hopefully by the time that happens I will be too old to care.

Don't see what's greedy or immoral about people paying to watch what they want to watch.

Don't worry SB, eventually India will create a version of cricket it can dominate, allowing people like you to make grandiose claims about the history of the game that rely on ignoring pretty much all of it. Mediocrity will carry the day.

You seem angry.

Can't say it matters greatly.

Bigfella
12 Sep 14,, 16:34
I'm stil here.

Same thing. They will still die. Natural death or starvation. The result remains the same.

Not effort. It would require money. Bums on seats, orbs on screens.

India has the bums and the orbs. And the money follows.

Followed in turn by the cream of international talent.

Don't see what's greedy or immoral about people paying to watch what they want to watch.

You seem angry.

Can't say it matters greatly.

In typical fashion you know the price of everything & the value of nothing. In one week WAB loses one of its most valuable members & regains one of its least valuable in a blaze of shallow mediocrity.

You don't understand. You can't understand. You never will.

Batista
12 Sep 14,, 17:50
Used to watch Cricket more but not anymore specially after the attention is given to IPL and T-20's crap.

As I expected IPL turned out to be just a fixed match and its basically a Tamasha and not sports.Bowler has hard time and Batsman literally having a ball.

I still like to catch up Tests matches a bit when get time specially between England/Aus/SA.

Bigfella
12 Sep 14,, 18:44
Used to watch Cricket more but not anymore specially after the attention is given to IPL and T-20's crap.

As I expected IPL turned out to be just a fixed match and its basically a Tamasha and not sports.Bowler has hard time and Batsman literally having a ball.

I still like to catch up Tests matches a bit when get time specially between England/Aus/SA.

The upcoming Australia v Pakistan series should be interesting. I don't know what the pitches in UAE are like. We have a strong team, but one that can be fragile. Pakistan is...well....Pakistan. They could beat the best & lose to the worst in a single week.

The Australia v India later this year should be interesting. Both teams have a bit to prove. We have the advantage, but only if we play as well as we can.

Oracle
12 Sep 14,, 20:16
The Australia v India later this year should be interesting. Both teams have a bit to prove. We have the advantage, but only if we play as well as we can.

Why do I have a very very bad feeling about this?

bolo121
13 Sep 14,, 02:46

Oh how I wish we could get a good test captain.
We have sufficient talent to manage a draw a every now and then and a win sometimes.
Outright series victories in Australia are impossible unless we can get some proper accurate test grade pacemen.
I hope Dhoni at least holds the defeat to 2-1 and avoids the pummeling we got in england.

sated buddha
13 Sep 14,, 11:50
I have given up hope for our test side. We are going to get whacked by the Aussies. Badly is what I safely predict.

Bigfella
13 Sep 14,, 13:34

Not unreasonable given what happened in England & last time you toured here. We'll get a better idea of where Australia is over the next month or so. We still have our fragilities, but India had to go for the jugular from the start. if we get the first win we won't take the proverbial boot off the throat.

Oh how I wish we could get a good test captain.
We have sufficient talent to manage a draw a every now and then and a win sometimes.
Outright series victories in Australia are impossible unless we can get some proper accurate test grade pacemen.
I hope Dhoni at least holds the defeat to 2-1 and avoids the pummeling we got in england.

From my POV your biggest issue isn't bowling, but batting. That seems strange to say given india's strength over the past decade or so, but I think it is where you really struggle. We don't cope well with spin, so you can usually find bowlers to trouble us. It is the speed of our pitches that seems to hurt your batting. it is no coincidence that the team that did best here was the one loaded with outrageous batting talent. I think that was also the series where Kumble finally worked out how to bowl here. You need a few fast pitches in India where you can develop batsmen & bowlers.

I'm not going into this overconfident. We should win, but there are always surprises.

Samuels creek
09 Oct 14,, 06:14
I'm still here.

I do think world cricket has changed permanently..

Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

All the fuddie duddies on Bradmans cricket board who wanted the ABC in control of broadcasting this great game, said what would happen if Kerry Packer got control.

However, it's not completely WSC fault. The way the world is now with rampant capatlism destroying the social fabric of just about everywhere, Cricket needs to stay relevant to other sports and sports fans.

ambidex
27 Nov 14,, 09:04
Aussie Test Batsman Phillip Hughes Dies - Cricket News (http://sports.ndtv.com/cricket/news/233691-aussie-test-batsman-phillip-hughes-dies?pfrom=home-lateststories)

Aussie Test Batsman Phillip Hughes Dies

Saddened by the News, RIP Phill,

I hope this will not make youngsters lose their confidence in learning and playing the game.

bolo121
27 Nov 14,, 09:37
Very sad news for Australian Cricket.
Was a pretty innocuous bouncer, just horrendous bad luck to be hit in the one place where it would be fatal.

Bigfella
27 Nov 14,, 12:51
I tried to start a thread on this earlier but the website was having a tantrum. I'll correct that now. The nation is in shock.

cataphract
13 Dec 14,, 08:47
Absolute heartbreak at Adelaide. The match was quite a fitting tribute to Hughes though.

bolo121
13 Dec 14,, 08:58
Giving 12 wickets to Nathan Lyon.
Shameless pusillanimous capitulation.
Kohli was very impressive though.

Bigfella
13 Dec 14,, 10:54
Absolute heartbreak at Adelaide. The match was quite a fitting tribute to Hughes though.

A cricket writer yesterday commented that Aaron Sorkin appeared to be writing the script this week:

*Philip Hughes' closest friends in the team each scored a century. One scored two, another over 200 runs without dismissal;

*Former NSW team mate Nathan Lyon took 12 wickets to win the match;

*Virat Kohli, another friend and team mate, scored 2 brilliant centuries;

*Sean Abbott, yet another former team mate who will sadly always be known for bowling the fatal ball took 6/14 to destroy Queensland and win a State match outright.

Perhaps best of all, this was a match that was played the way Hughes played. it was tough, it was exciting, it was combative at times, and both teams threw caution to the wind to play for a win. Kudos in particular to Kohli. Not every touring captain would have shown his preparedness to play for the win. That was the cherry on top of a test match few of us will forget. Somewhere Philip Hughes has that trademark grin on his face.

Bigfella
13 Dec 14,, 10:58
Giving 12 wickets to Nathan Lyon.
Shameless pusillanimous capitulation.
Kohli was very impressive though.

Lyon is an underrated bowler. Because he is inconsistent and sometimes gets hit people forget that at his best he is a very dangerous bowler. He has taken bags against subcontinental teams & even in the subcontinent. He took it up to the Indian team & was rewarded.

Oracle
13 Dec 14,, 14:43
I woke up early to watch the last day of the match, being a weekend. Murali Vijay needs to cultivate patience if he sees himself playing for India as an opener. He showed compulsive restlessness at 99. He fell, and the stage was set for the Aussies. India could have won it, but then again it was an interesting game.

Oracle
13 Dec 14,, 15:30
There's a chance I may never play again: Clarke (http://www.rediff.com/cricket/report/michael-clarke-injury-blow-for-australia-after-adelaide-victory-india-aus-tour/20141213.htm)

A very talented sportsman. I hope he still has some years left.

bolo121
13 Dec 14,, 15:40
Lyon is an underrated bowler. Because he is inconsistent and sometimes gets hit people forget that at his best he is a very dangerous bowler. He has taken bags against subcontinental teams & even in the subcontinent. He took it up to the Indian team & was rewarded.

He isn't dangerous in and of himself, he is mediocre but knows himself and tries with all his heart anyway.
R Ashwin and the rest of our feckless spinners should take note.
Ryan Harris is another one who has so many problems but has a huge heart and pushes himself regardless.

Indians get so tempted by the free lunch he offers that he is able to trip them up.
The main problem was that out of all 11 of them only Kohli believed he could win.
Plus like the rest of the aussies Lyon was pumped up to win one for Phil Hughes.

Bigfella
13 Dec 14,, 18:13
He isn't dangerous in and of himself, he is mediocre but knows himself and tries with all his heart anyway.
R Ashwin and the rest of our feckless spinners should take note.
Ryan Harris is another one who has so many problems but has a huge heart and pushes himself regardless.

Indians get so tempted by the free lunch he offers that he is able to trip them up.
The main problem was that out of all 11 of them only Kohli believed he could win.
Plus like the rest of the aussies Lyon was pumped up to win one for Phil Hughes.

Lyon takes a wicket every 66 balls. Same as Anil Kumble, Graeme Swann and Saqlain Mushtaq and better than a long list of 'more dangerous' off spinners. People underestimate him because he concedes more runs doing it. His bounce and spin was excellent. I don't know which game you watched, but in the one I saw Indian batsmen were constantly getting trapped on the crease (now I know why India doesnt want DRS) or getting beaten by balls that spun too much for them. Most of the 12 wickets were batsmen on the defensive.

Lyon isn't the best offie in the world, but he has earned a bit more respect than you are showing him.

cataphract
13 Dec 14,, 19:38
Lyon takes a wicket every 66 balls. Same as Anil Kumble, Graeme Swann and Saqlain Mushtaq and better than a long list of 'more dangerous' off spinners. People underestimate him because he concedes more runs doing it. His bounce and spin was excellent. I don't know which game you watched, but in the one I saw Indian batsmen were constantly getting trapped on the crease (now I know why India doesnt want DRS) or getting beaten by balls that spun too much for them. Most of the 12 wickets were batsmen on the defensive.

Lyon isn't the best offie in the world, but he has earned a bit more respect than you are showing him.

Lyon wasn't successful in subcontinental conditions, which are traditional hunting grounds for spinners. Until yesterday's match, even his ability to win matches in Australia was questioned. I'd say until 13 Dec 2014 no one would've rated Lyon as a threat.

cataphract
13 Dec 14,, 19:41
This Indian team is a throwback to the late 90s when the team literally revolved around Sachin's batting and collapsed right after he got out. Now we have Kohli instead of Sachin but the rest of the team continues to suck. Sigh.

Samuels creek
13 Dec 14,, 21:32
*Former NSW team mate Nathan Lyon took 12 wickets to win the match;

Are you sure they were NSW teammates?

Bigfella
14 Dec 14,, 00:49
Are you sure they were NSW teammates?

I assumed they were, but it looks like I was wrong.

Bigfella
14 Dec 14,, 01:01
Lyon wasn't successful in subcontinental conditions, which are traditional hunting grounds for spinners. Until yesterday's match, even his ability to win matches in Australia was questioned. I'd say until 13 Dec 2014 no one would've rated Lyon as a threat.

Lyon has taken 5 for in subcontinental conditions several times. His best innings figures are from a match in Dehli last year. he has bowled Australia to victory on several occasions. Despite spending most of his career as a foil to a more highly rated pace attack and bowling in conditions that were frequently unsuited to him, his stats are pretty good. He takes wickets at a higher strike rate than Harbhajan Singh and his average is only 2 runs higher. Given that Singh spent most of his career on the friendliest of pitches I would suggest that a lot of people, you included, are underestimating Lyon.

cataphract
15 Dec 14,, 02:55
Lyon has taken 5 for in subcontinental conditions several times.

No he hasn't. He has taken a 7-for exactly once, in Delhi last year, with an economy of 4.00. On a wicket where a clown like Jadeja got 5 wickets. Elsewhere in the subcontinent, he has been dismal.

Despite spending most of his career as a foil to a more highly rated pace attack and bowling in conditions that were frequently unsuited to him, his stats are pretty good. He takes wickets at a higher strike rate than Harbhajan Singh and his average is only 2 runs higher. Given that Singh spent most of his career on the friendliest of pitches I would suggest that a lot of people, you included, are underestimating Lyon.

Let's not compare him to Harbhajan, who is a veteran and who has, in his prime, excelled not just in the subcontinent but in England, Windies and SAfrica as well. It's unfair to Lyon, whose career has only just begun. A more apt comparison would be R Ashwin, who is the same age as Lyon and has played less test cricket than Lyon, and yet has better figures. The most damning figures are the number of ODIs and T20s Lyon has been picked for - 8 ODIs and 19 T20s. He is constantly being passed over for Doherty, O' Keefe, etc.

All that being said, his performance in Adelaide was stunning, and I only hope that this is a turning point for him and the Australian team. Maybe having Muralitharan as a spin coach is really paying off :)

Bigfella
15 Dec 14,, 11:33
No he hasn't. He has taken a 7-for exactly once, in Delhi last year, with an economy of 4.00. On a wicket where a clown like Jadeja got 5 wickets. Elsewhere in the subcontinent, he has been dismal.

Wasn't aware Sri Lanka had been moved to a different part of the world. As much a part of the Subcontinent as Britain is of Europe or Japan of Asia.

Let's not compare him to Harbhajan, who is a veteran and who has, in his prime, excelled not just in the subcontinent but in England, Windies and SAfrica as well. It's unfair to Lyon, whose career has only just begun. A more apt comparison would be R Ashwin, who is the same age as Lyon and has played less test cricket than Lyon, and yet has better figures. The most damning figures are the number of ODIs and T20s Lyon has been picked for - 8 ODIs and 19 T20s. He is constantly being passed over for Doherty, O' Keefe, etc.

So a couple of bowlers who are too shit to play real cricket are better than Lyon at hit & giggle? I think you've misunderstood who is being 'damned' by that comparison. So he isn't a good limited overs bowler? You really couldn't pay me to care. We've tried at least 4 or 5 other spinners over the past few years in Tests & they were all terrible. We keep coming back to Lyon because he takes wickets and he takes them regularly.

Here are some averages & strike rates of offies (and Kumble) over the past 30 - 40 years, though most are more recent. Ashley Mallett is Australia's most successful off spinner. Lyon is about half a dozen wickets away from passing his tally in about the same number of tests. Lyon isn't an all time great, but he is, as I pointed out, much better than you are giving him credit for. He concedes runs, but he takes wickets & he takes them at a good strike rate.

Lyon: 34.66; 66.3

Vettori: 34.36; 79.5

Ashwin 28.65; 59.1

Saqlian Mustaq: 29.83; 67.5

Kumble: 29.65; 65.9

Swann: 29.96; 60.9

Tim May: 34.74; 87.6

Singh: 32.37; 68.5

Embury: 38.40; 104.7

Mallett: 29.84; 75.6

Bedi: 28.71; 80.3

All that being said, his performance in Adelaide was stunning, and I only hope that this is a turning point for him and the Australian team. Maybe having Muralitharan as a spin coach is really paying off :)

Thing is, I don't see any great change over what he was doing this time last year. No magic new ball, no dramatic improvement in control. he is throwing the ball up more than he did early in his career, but he was doing that last year as well. Personally I'd like to see him take more wickets, but that is true of all our bowlers.

As for the Australian team, there is a 'turning point' of another type. Steve Smith has been named captain for the remainder of the series. Clarke is not expected to return in a hurry, if at all. I think he will play tests again, but I don't want to see him wasting his last few years playing hit & giggle crap. Smith is our third youngest ever captain. I'm just hoping his batting doesn't suffer.

cataphract
16 Dec 14,, 20:28
Wasn't aware Sri Lanka had been moved to a different part of the world. As much a part of the Subcontinent as Britain is of Europe or Japan of Asia.

I stand corrected. Two five-fors then. Btw the UAE is for cricketing purposes, the subcontinent - the wickets there are tailor made to Pakistani tastes. The UAE is also where Lyon was disastrous two months ago, returning 3 wickets in 4 innings, while Pakistan blooded rookie spinners against a listless Aussie batting lineup.

So a couple of bowlers who are too shit to play real cricket are better than Lyon at hit & giggle? I think you've misunderstood who is being 'damned' by that comparison. So he isn't a good limited overs bowler? You really couldn't pay me to care. We've tried at least 4 or 5 other spinners over the past few years in Tests & they were all terrible. We keep coming back to Lyon because he takes wickets and he takes them regularly.

Please, stop using arguments from 2006. Limited overs cricket has matured into something far bigger than "hit and giggle", and complete bowlers are able to adjust their game to win all formats of cricket. Btw if you're calling ODIs hit and giggle you really are stuck in the 1970s. Lyon isn't used in limited overs because of his shit economy. If he does take wickets, it's after conceding 50 odd runs in 10 overs, losing the game. You keep coming back to Lyon because your spin cupboard is empty. Lyon is the least worst option you have.

As for the Australian team, there is a 'turning point' of another type. Steve Smith has been named captain for the remainder of the series. Clarke is not expected to return in a hurry, if at all. I think he will play tests again, but I don't want to see him wasting his last few years playing hit & giggle crap. Smith is our third youngest ever captain. I'm just hoping his batting doesn't suffer.

Steve Smith is a good change for sure, but your spin department needs an overhaul as much as India's pace department.

Bigfella
16 Dec 14,, 20:56
I stand corrected. Two five-fors then. Btw the UAE is for cricketing purposes, the subcontinent - the wickets there are tailor made to Pakistani tastes. The UAE is also where Lyon was disastrous two months ago, returning 3 wickets in 4 innings, while Pakistan blooded rookie spinners against a listless Aussie batting lineup.

Yet he still takes wickets at a highly respectable strike rate & a decent average for his type of bowler. I guess he has learned how to bowl in the conditions he faces most often.

Please, stop using arguments from 2006. Limited overs cricket has matured into something far bigger than "hit and giggle", and complete bowlers are able to adjust their game to win all formats of cricket. Btw if you're calling ODIs hit and giggle you really are stuck in the 1970s. Lyon isn't used in limited overs because of his shit economy. If he does take wickets, it's after conceding 50 odd runs in 10 overs, losing the game.

As I have expressed numerous times in the past, the only time I give a shit about ODI is World Cups. If anything the increasing frequency of matches over the past 10 years & the creation of T20 has made it even less significant. We pick the best bowler for the best situation. We pick guys for ODIs who are shit test bowlers. This is not new. We have done this for decades. Trying to use Lyon's ODI record to buttress criticism of his test bowling is a losing argument. Of all the discussions I have had about Lyon over the past few years (including ones when I used to take your view), I have never once heard an Australian care that he doesn't bowl well in ODIs As the figures make clear, he is doing the job required and he is doing it in a manner comparable to much more highly rated bowlers.

You keep coming back to Lyon because your spin cupboard is empty. Lyon is the least worst option you have.

You need to get your head out of the Warne era. Lyon would have been a regular starter for Australia any time from the retirement of Benaud to the rise of Warne and he would have been a competitor for the off spinner's spot for most of the past century. He would have been a semi-regular selection during the Warne era (like Tim May, whose figures are worse). He is a good bowler. Not great, but good.

Steve Smith is a good change for sure, but your spin department needs an overhaul as much as India's pace department.

There aren't any other spinners out there who are pressing for a place. There is nobody tearing up the State comps. And given that we rarely pick more than one full time spinner it is more a 'position' than a 'department'. The position is currently occupied by a wicket taking Test bowler. I doubt 'in again out again' stupidity of the past will be repeated any time soon. That path is a proven failure.

Bigfella
17 Dec 14,, 08:24
India a red hot chance to win this test. Looks like 4 down for 300ish at stumps and Australia with 4 injured fast bowlers. Could be the best chance India will ever have to win at the Gabba.

bolo121
17 Dec 14,, 10:48
nuh uh.
I remember back when sehwag scored big and everybody said the same thing.
We promptly imploded the next day.

Firestorm
17 Dec 14,, 19:45
India a red hot chance to win this test. Looks like 4 down for 300ish at stumps and Australia with 4 injured fast bowlers. Could be the best chance India will ever have to win at the Gabba.

They are saying Starc and Hazlewood will bowl again. Marsh is out though. Too bad. Good thing for Australia is Johnson seems unaffected by the heat.

I'm happy Vijay got a century. Poor fellow got dismissed on 99 in the last match. He has improved by leaps and bounds from how he played fast bowling when he started out. Dhawan unfortunately, seems like a lost cause outside the subcontinent. BCCI's stupid oppposition to DRS cost Pujara his wicket. Rahane was the victim in the last match (at a very crucial time no less). The Aussies got a howler or two in the previous match as well I think. Don't know when the BCCI will get their heads out of their backsides on that one.

bolo121
18 Dec 14,, 01:01
Don't know when the BCCI will get their heads out of their backsides on that one.

Will never happen. You cant bribe a machine.

bolo121
18 Dec 14,, 03:18
nuh uh.
I remember back when sehwag scored big and everybody said the same thing.
We promptly imploded the next day.

Was proven right again. knocked out by lunch for 408. Not even a 100 runs on the board today.
At least no Lyon based shamelessness, back to the traditional morale boost we give for Aussie quicks on debut.

Bigfella
19 Dec 14,, 02:57
Just watched Steve Smith bring up a century on his debut as Captain - at the age of 25. That is twice in 2 tests after Kohli's tons. Smith now has 320 runs in this series without a dismissal. He & Johnson are saving Australia's bacon after a shaky start this morning. This test has more swings than a kid's playground.

Bigfella
19 Dec 14,, 03:08
They are saying Starc and Hazlewood will bowl again. Marsh is out though. Too bad. Good thing for Australia is Johnson seems unaffected by the heat.

It would have been better for us if Starc hadn't been able to bowl. Serves up more pies than a school tuck shop. Johnson is better, but not enough. Hazelwood & Watson looked the best of the quicks, while Lyon did a good job under trying circumstances. The Gabba day one is no place for a finger spinner. Despite getting some rough treatment he took some wickets.

I'm happy Vijay got a century. Poor fellow got dismissed on 99 in the last match. He has improved by leaps and bounds from how he played fast bowling when he started out. Dhawan unfortunately, seems like a lost cause outside the subcontinent. BCCI's stupid oppposition to DRS cost Pujara his wicket. Rahane was the victim in the last match (at a very crucial time no less). The Aussies got a howler or two in the previous match as well I think. Don't know when the BCCI will get their heads out of their backsides on that one.

Vijay did a great job. Dhawan lives in Melbourne. He should play some grade cricket here. it would help him adjust to faster pitches. The whole DRS thing has been a fiasco. It evened out in the last test (about 3 bad decision each), but I think India is behind overall.

This test is still every evenly poised. Both these teams have very talented players & poor/erratic players. Both have holes in them you could drive an oil tanker through. Makes it an interesting & surprisingly even contest. All it will take is one or two good individual performances to swing this either way. I think Australia has the edge simply because they are the home team & also a bit of an edge in confidence. I feel India is more likely to drop its head than we are.

India still has a great chance here, but need to grasp it. Harris is back for the next test and M. Marsh may be dropped if injured.

bolo121
19 Dec 14,, 03:10
Just watched Steve Smith bring up a century on his debut as Captain - at the age of 25. That is twice in 2 tests after Kohli's tons. Smith now has 320 runs in this series without a dismissal. He & Johnson are saving Australia's bacon after a shaky start this morning. This test has more swings than a kid's playground.

As usual team India is Australia's best friend.
Century to Steve Smith on debut as captain and a enjoyable 67 for Johnson.
The aussie top bowler is scoring more runs than our captain!

Bigfella
19 Dec 14,, 03:14
As usual team India is Australia's best friend.

Works both ways. Did you see how our first four wickets fell? Dumb, dumber & dumbest. Warner gets a pass because he just socred two tons, the others don't.

Century to Steve Smith on debut as captain and a enjoyable 67 for Johnson.

Smith is going from good to great at a rapid place. I think we are seeing the emergence of some future greats on both sides this series.

The aussie top bowler is scoring more runs than our captain!

If he was our top bowler you blokes wouldn't have got 400. :biggrin:

Bigfella
19 Dec 14,, 06:16
I take it back Firestorm. India seem determined to throw this away. if it was Pakistan you'd set up an inquiry. When you see Test opening bowlers being belted about by a no.11 in his first test who averages 10 at club cricket level (club, not first class) then you just have to shake your head.

Australia 95 runs up at tea. India needing to do something pretty good to win this.

Bigfella
21 Dec 14,, 04:52
The first two tests of this series have reminded me why Test Cricket is my favourite sport. These teams are evenly balanced. Both have some very good aspects and some poorer ones. Each Test saw brilliant individual performances, fine team performances and great swings in momentum. It isn't good enough in Tests to have one or even two good days. You need to play well at the right times. India was in a position to win both these games & couldn't quite do it. Australia fought its way back numerous times and was able to press for victory.

India was on top at stumps at day 1 in Brisbane and despite a day 2 collapse, made a total that usually guarantees victory at Brisbane. Early on day 3 Australia looked like we could be all out 100 behind, and again for about the same score. Even after we got 97 ahead India had a chance. At 1/70 odd at stumps a lead of over 200 seemed possible. The collapse at the start of Day 4 has been attributed to Dhawan being unable to bat, but that seems a bit weak to me. The next batsman down should be ready to bat straight away anyway. The clatter of Indian wickets is a reminder that Johnson is one of the most dangerous players in international cricket. Had India got another 50 runs we might have crumbled & lost the match. Quite a remarkable game.

To my eyes India has the better batting line up here, though in Warner & Smith Australia possesses two of the best batsmen. Australia has a better bowling attack, though India has (on paper) the better spinner & in each test we have had at least one bowler who was very poor. We've also had one bowler make his international debut - something which is always a risk. I think we have a distinct advantage in captaincy. I have always thought Dhoni a good leader but a poor on field tactician. The Brisbane Test has done nothing to change that perspective. India also seems to be more fragile mentally. There seems to be a long running tendency to drop heads & get distracted when events go against them. Even so, there is no reason India can't win a Test. Another Australian player will be making his Test debut in Melbourne (batsman Joe Burns), a potential opportunity for India. On the down side, Harris is back, so no more Mitch Starc pies.

Looking forward to Boxing Day. Look for me in the crowd. ;)

bolo121
21 Dec 14,, 05:04
The attitude of the captains shines through each team's performance.
Steve smith was clearly enjoying himself and relishing the fight.
Dhoni was his usual slightly lost indifferent captain cool self. Under that bland expression is a guy who wants to be elsewhere in coloured clothes.

cataphract
23 Dec 14,, 03:01
Yet he still takes wickets at a highly respectable strike rate & a decent average for his type of bowler. I guess he has learned how to bowl in the conditions he faces most often.

Valid argument, and one that Australians tend to forget when Indian batsmen score gargantuan runs on Indian pitches. Somehow doing well in conditions we face most often gets the label flat-track bully.

As I have expressed numerous times in the past, the only time I give a shit about ODI is World Cups. If anything the increasing frequency of matches over the past 10 years & the creation of T20 has made it even less significant. We pick the best bowler for the best situation. We pick guys for ODIs who are shit test bowlers. This is not new. We have done this for decades. Trying to use Lyon's ODI record to buttress criticism of his test bowling is a losing argument. Of all the discussions I have had about Lyon over the past few years (including ones when I used to take your view), I have never once heard an Australian care that he doesn't bowl well in ODIs As the figures make clear, he is doing the job required and he is doing it in a manner comparable to much more highly rated bowlers.

It's really upto CricketAustralia to give a shit about evolving the game of cricket, and unless you are on the selectors panel what you give shits about is irrelevant. I repeat, what makes great bowlers is the ability to take wickets in all conditions and all formats of the game, something Lyon manifestly cannot do. CA didn't pick spin bowlers for ODI because they are shit at tests, CA dropped Lyon from the ODI team because he couldn't contain runs nor take wickets. It's not as if Doherty is amazing at it either, but he has better figures than Lyon.

You need to get your head out of the Warne era. Lyon would have been a regular starter for Australia any time from the retirement of Benaud to the rise of Warne and he would have been a competitor for the off spinner's spot for most of the past century. He would have been a semi-regular selection during the Warne era (like Tim May, whose figures are worse). He is a good bowler. Not great, but good.

There aren't any other spinners out there who are pressing for a place. There is nobody tearing up the State comps. And given that we rarely pick more than one full time spinner it is more a 'position' than a 'department'. The position is currently occupied by a wicket taking Test bowler. I doubt 'in again out again' stupidity of the past will be repeated any time soon. That path is a proven failure.

Nothing that refutes what I said in my previous posts. Australia's spin cupboard is empty. I'm not sure what you mean by 'in again and out again', but Australia has tried to blood new spinners in the recent past, Agar and O'Keefe and somehow never had the patience to give them a few games to settle in. Baffling considering how long of a rope Watson and Shaun Marsh have been given, and mostly to hang themselves.

cataphract
23 Dec 14,, 03:02
The attitude of the captains shines through each team's performance.
Steve smith was clearly enjoying himself and relishing the fight.
Dhoni was his usual slightly lost indifferent captain cool self. Under that bland expression is a guy who wants to be elsewhere in coloured clothes.

It's high time Dhoni relinquish the test captaincy or at least the gloves. We do need him as a test batsman though.

Bigfella
30 Dec 14,, 11:15
Valid argument, and one that Australians tend to forget when Indian batsmen score gargantuan runs on Indian pitches. Somehow doing well in conditions we face most often gets the label flat-track bully.

Actually, turns out I was a bit unfair to Lyon. He has played exactly the same number of tests in Australia & overseas - 19. he has 59 wickets OS & 74 at home - a difference of about 25% of the lower figure. His average differs by about the same amount. I suspect there are plenty of Indian batsmen & bowlers who would kill for a difference that small home vs away.

I've never really minded Indian batsmen racking up cheap runs at home, as it made them easier to get out here.:biggrin: I do have a huge problem with any batting figures from Sri Lanka. I would put an * next to each & every one by any batsman.

It's really upto CricketAustralia to give a shit about evolving the game of cricket, and unless you are on the selectors panel what you give shits about is irrelevant. I repeat, what makes great bowlers is the ability to take wickets in all conditions and all formats of the game, something Lyon manifestly cannot do.

As I said, Lyon isn't a great bowler, he's a good one. He has limitations, but in the context of Australian finger spinners he is pretty good.

CA didn't pick spin bowlers for ODI because they are shit at tests

No, they picked them because they were good at ODI, which was my point.

CA dropped Lyon from the ODI team because he couldn't contain runs nor take wickets. It's not as if Doherty is amazing at it either, but he has better figures than Lyon.

Then Doherty gets to play ODI, which he is better at, and Lyon plays Test, which he is better at. Perfect!

Nothing that refutes what I said in my previous posts. Australia's spin cupboard is empty. I'm not sure what you mean by 'in again and out again', but Australia has tried to blood new spinners in the recent past, Agar and O'Keefe and somehow never had the patience to give them a few games to settle in.

We have had a revolving door for spinners since Warne & MacGill retired. There have been a number of promising players who didn't develop and some who probably weren't given the opportunity they should have been. Initially Lyon was burdened with the same poor selection practices but was able to bowl well enough often enough to become the regular spinner. Selection policies have become more mature since Lehmann took over. New selections will be given better chances.

Baffling considering how long of a rope Watson and Shaun Marsh have been given, and mostly to hang themselves.

Watson has benefitted from two things. One is an obsession with allrounders that probably goes back to Keith Miller. He is actually a very good allrounder when he is fit. He is just not a Test no.3. The other thing in his favour is that we finally worked out Johnson is best bowled in short spells. Combined with Harris & his issues that means we need someone to bowl 10-15 medium pace overs per innings. Watson is a good bowler in that role. If Mitch marsh can overcome the family hamstring curse he is being groomed for the Watson spot. Few people will cry if it happens.

Shaun Marsh has 2 centuries & a 99 from 11 Tests. My view of him was coloured by his performance against India last tour, but anyone who can make 148 against Sth Africa in Sth Africa might just be a test batsman. He did well this test & is averaging 45 for the series.

Bigfella
30 Dec 14,, 11:23
It's high time Dhoni relinquish the test captaincy or at least the gloves. We do need him as a test batsman though.

Looks like you got part of your wish. He has retired from Tests. Interesting times for India. Kohli is on the way from being a good Test batsman to a great one, but his leadership is yet to be tested. I suspect he will need to calm down a bit, but he is inheriting a young team potentially on the rise. If he can get his temperament right he could lead India to considerable success.

bolo121
30 Dec 14,, 11:56
Looks like you got part of your wish. He has retired from Tests. Interesting times for India. Kohli is on the way from being a good Test batsman to a great one, but his leadership is yet to be tested. I suspect he will need to calm down a bit, but he is inheriting a young team potentially on the rise. If he can get his temperament right he could lead India to considerable success.

Finally! He should have done it after the english defeats instead of trying to come back for this series.
It should go a long way to releasing the pressure on him.
Hope he can clear his mind and focus on ODIs as the world cup looms.
Kohli is far too easily angered but beggars cant be choosers, I expect we will continue to perform poorly abroad.

Bigfella
31 Dec 14,, 08:11
Finally! He should have done it after the english defeats instead of trying to come back for this series.
It should go a long way to releasing the pressure on him.
Hope he can clear his mind and focus on ODIs as the world cup looms.

He seems a much better limited overs captain than a Test one. A new generation of players is taking over. Probably time for him to move on.

Kohli is far too easily angered but beggars cant be choosers, I expect we will continue to perform poorly abroad.

If Kohli can mature for the sake of the team then he may be a good captain, but he does need to mature. This week was fascinating. He clearly still hasn't got the idea of 'don't dish it out if you can't take it'. The press conference where he went on at length about the sledging & not respecting Johnson was bizarre. This was Ryan Harris' response:

He's a pretty good player so I don't know where he gets that from. I respect him, and I know all the boys in the change room respect him because he has come out and his bat does the talking. Where he gets that from I am not sure. There's a bit of banter on the field, but if that doesn't stay out there and comes up here, he needs to have a look at that

As for India's future prospects, I'm a bit more optimistic. You have the core of a really good batting lineup. Vijay, Kohli & Rahane are all developing into good batsmen overseas. Ashwin is a good bowler, and if you can teach your quicks a bit of line & length they will be scary. This series you have been one good bowler short of possibly winning the whole thing. That & a slightly better mental approach and the change will be remarkable. Too many times the team just seemed to drop its head when things turned against them. To their credit, they were able to come back, but it is better not to have to.

Bigfella
14 Feb 15,, 09:01
So, the biggest sporting event in the World after the Olympics, Football World Cup and AFL Grand Final has begun.

After a pretty feeble opening ceremony (not sure why they bother). However, the cricket so far has been spectacular. The organizers also claim to have already sold 850,000 tickets. They will easily cross the million mark.

New Zealand defeated Sri Lanka by 98 runs at home with the Kiwis a picture of consistency. Three batsmen got to 50 (and one 49), yet the highest score was 75. Five bowlers each got 2 wickets. A promising start for a team that might go all the way.

Australia has just finished its innings against England, making 342. Aaron Finch made a punishing century, ably assisted by George Bailey and a dashing 50 from Glenn Maxwell. Australia put on over 100 runs in the last 10 overs and Finn got a hat trick with the last 3 balls. Australia's score is 30 runs above the highest total England has ever scored, so a win seems unlikely.

General comments on the WC: Australia, New Zealand & Sth Africa are the favourites. Each has batting & bowling depth and the Kiwis are at home. They currently have their best team in 30 years, so they might cash in. Sri Lanka & India are also chances, but neither have shown great form in the lead up matches. To be honest, India look like they are ready to go home - some of them have been in Australia long enough to claim residency. However, talented teams can never be dismissed. If Kohli for India or Sangkakkara for Sri Lanka find form at the right end of the tournament they might go far.

England look good enough to beat some good teams, but not good enough to do it consistently. Pakistan are Pakistan. Who the hell knows. We will find out a bit tomorrow when they play India. The rest are just making up the numbers. The West Indies are a shadow of even the average teams of a decade ago. Bangladesh might surprise a few teams, but lack depth. Ireland will play with spirit, Scotland & UAE will get hammered, Afghanistan is just chuffed to be here & Zimbabwe is just pleased to be in a nation that still has $100 notes.

Personally I'm hoping Afghanistan wins a game or two. They are the feel good story of the World Cup, and with numbers being cut for the next two WCs it may be their last one. I also have a soft spot for Pakistan, having been at the MCG when they beat England to win in 1992. I'm hoping they make the semis, though no Pakistani I talk to believes they will.

InExile
14 Feb 15,, 10:15
So far things going exactly as expected, was hoping England would do a bit better.:eek:

Once again they got the format of the tournament wrong. There isn't the depth in International cricket to have three rounds of knockout matches. Much better to have had direct semis, maybe even have fewer teams, maybe 10 and each team play the other twice. More crucial games that way between the top teams. Think the 1992 world cup was the best format till date, even though they were only 9 teams.

Australia, SA and New Zealand seem far ahead of the other teams at the moment, although England, India, Sri Lanka and Pakistan have a small chance, especially with the knockout format once they get to the quarter finals; they only need to fire at the right time.

Not sure about the strongest NZ team in 30 years, the Kiwis were really strong in 1992, recall they won every single match. Looked like they would win the World cup easily until Pakistan beat them twice. NZ have the knack of producing top class players from a small talent pool, Hadlee, Crowe and now McCullum. Will be rooting for them, anyone who can stop the Aussies from winning their 5th title :)

bolo121
14 Feb 15,, 12:29
Haven't seen a single match so far, was stuck working.
Since India is looking really bad this time around, I am also rooting for New Zealand they have had a excellent 2014 and it would be great to see them lift the cup.

Bigfella
15 Feb 15,, 00:29
So far things going exactly as expected, was hoping England would do a bit better.:eek:

I was a bit surprised by Sri Lanka losing so badly, but NZ are in red hot form. England seemed better when they first arrived, but we have beaten them by over 100 runs in our last 2 ODIs. They are in strife already. If Bell, Morgan & Taylor fire they might be able to bowl well enough to beat a good team. If.

Once again they got the format of the tournament wrong. There isn't the depth in International cricket to have three rounds of knockout matches. Much better to have had direct semis, maybe even have fewer teams, maybe 10 and each team play the other twice. More crucial games that way between the top teams. Think the 1992 world cup was the best format till date, even though they were only 9 teams.

I like 2 knockout rounds, it gives an edge to more of the matches. However, there are a few too many teams to keep the tournament short enough. Pity, because I like seeing the minnows get their chance to mix it with the big boys. They are cutting back the numbers, so you might get what you want.

Australia, SA and New Zealand seem far ahead of the other teams at the moment, although England, India, Sri Lanka and Pakistan have a small chance, especially with the knockout format once they get to the quarter finals; they only need to fire at the right time.

That is why I like 2 knockout rounds, it gives teams that start slowly or might be a bit out of the running a real chance, but they can't just get it by getting lucky in 1 game. :)

Not sure about the strongest NZ team in 30 years, the Kiwis were really strong in 1992, recall they won every single match. Looked like they would win the World cup easily until Pakistan beat them twice. NZ have the knack of producing top class players from a small talent pool, Hadlee, Crowe and now McCullum. Will be rooting for them, anyone who can stop the Aussies from winning their 5th title :)

By 'best in 30 years' I was tipping my hat to the strong NZ teams of the Hadlee era, which stretched into the late 80s. The 1992 side had a great batting lineup - most of it the remnants of their strong 80s teams. The bowling, however, was poor outside NZ (or even outside ODIs). Danny Morrison was the only class bowler there and he was a product of the Hadlee era too. This NZ team is the best since then. They are winning tests against decent teams overseas. At home their advantages multiply.

I think they will be everyone's 'second team'.

Bigfella
15 Feb 15,, 00:30
Haven't seen a single match so far, was stuck working.
Since India is looking really bad this time around, I am also rooting for New Zealand they have had a excellent 2014 and it would be great to see them lift the cup.

I assume you will be correcting that today.:biggrin:

Bigfella
15 Feb 15,, 08:36
India made 300 but threw away a chance to make 320-330. Great death bowling by Sohail Khan. Pakistan will consider themselves a chance here. Will make for a great game. Adelaide Oval sounding like it did when Port played finals there last year.

Sth Africa having a hit out against Zimbabwe. Slow start but came home with 188 off the last 15 overs. Two centurions. Zimbabwe doing OK at 3/207 off 35, but lack the batting to get it done.

barangai
15 Feb 15,, 08:51
Sohail Khan and Wahab Riaz has once again put Pakistan to the game.

popillol
15 Feb 15,, 13:17
Ooo Laaa Laaa!!:danc: India won!

bolo121
15 Feb 15,, 13:37
Good to see an Indian win, from a drama point of view the game disappointed.
Pakistan never looked like they were going to get there.

antimony
15 Feb 15,, 16:55
Good to see an Indian win, from a drama point of view the game disappointed.
Pakistan never looked like they were going to get there.

Just the way I like my India Pakistan games. I will reserve the drama for Australia, WI, SL or someone else.

For Pakistan, I just want to see them crushed:mad:

bolo121
16 Feb 15,, 00:44
Just the way I like my India Pakistan games. I will reserve the drama for Australia, WI, SL or someone else.

For Pakistan, I just want to see them crushed:mad:

Its the other way around for me. Theres so much anticipation and hype before such matches, I wanted to see an epic fight that matched up to that with India victorious at the end of course :).

Bigfella
16 Feb 15,, 11:16
Ireland notched up another big WC win today by beating the West Indies. Chased down 300 with 4 wickets & 4 overs in hand. It has been called a surprise, but the Windies are such a joke now that I'm not sure that is accurate. Well done Ireland. A shot at the quarters beckons!

tantalus
16 Feb 15,, 13:17
Great start for us.

Big opportunity to make it out of the group now.

Manner of the victory was also very encouraging.

Found good scores from a number of our batsmen.

popillol
16 Feb 15,, 16:31
It would be awesome if from pool B India, RSA, Ireland and Zimbabwe qualifies! :biggrin:
Seems like a good possibility!

Oracle
16 Feb 15,, 17:43
Great start for us.

Big opportunity to make it out of the group now.

Manner of the victory was also very encouraging.

Found good scores from a number of our batsmen.

What in the name of the Lord was that? You guys treated 2 times WC Champions like dirt. :biggrin:

Great win Ireland!

Inside information: BF engineering the riot between Indian and Pakistani fans at the pub. The Aussies want to keep the cup for the 4th time. :)

Bigfella
16 Feb 15,, 20:47
What in the name of the Lord was that? You guys treated 2 times WC Champions like dirt. :biggrin:

Great win Ireland!

Inside information: BF engineering the riot between Indian and Pakistani fans at the pub. The Aussies want to keep the cup for the 4th time. :)

Yeah, because Indians & Pakistanis need my help to riot. ;)

Gun Grape
17 Feb 15,, 02:00
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjWNj7HzJrY

Bigfella
17 Feb 15,, 08:24
You people really are beyond help. :biggrin:

Try this (it is actually pretty good).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqtpNkMvj5Y

Bigfella
17 Feb 15,, 08:33
Scotland very nearly made it 2 upsets in 2 days for Celtic cricket. Having been rolled for 142 they then picked up 7 Kiwi wickets & came close to embarrassing on of the favourites. If someone told you the two top scoring batsmen in a Scotland v NZ game were both Scottish no one would believe you. NZ keeper Luke Ronchi, one of the few modern players to have played for two nations, is proving that a hack is a hack no matter who they play for.

Oracle
17 Feb 15,, 17:40
Yeah, because Indians & Pakistanis need my help to riot. ;)

C'mon, I was just kidding. Fosters? :)

popillol
17 Feb 15,, 20:32
After the Indian teasing the Pakistan on their 5-0 stats, this time RSA teasing India on 3-0 stats from Star Sports

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gk5tX4oWxvA

For Pakistan its now 6-0 (10-0 including T20s) :biggrin:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Za4qBpSQb9A

Bigfella
17 Feb 15,, 20:36
C'mon, I was just kidding. Fosters? :)

Fosters is the crap we sell to foreigners. We keep the good stuff for ourselves. You really know how to insult a bloke. :biggrin:

cataphract
18 Feb 15,, 13:26
A shame to see Afghanistan implode today. They really seem as mercurial as their mentors in Pakistan with their performance.

bolo121
20 Feb 15,, 05:07
NZ is stomping England flat.
Southee blew them away with 7 for 33 and now McCullum is smashing them to pieces.
Oh the expression on Stuart Broad's face...beautiful.

Bigfella
20 Feb 15,, 06:08
England scored 20ish less against NZ than Scotland and have so far taken 6 fewer wickets. Oh dear!

InExile
20 Feb 15,, 08:18
Sheer brutality veering towards sadism by NZ :eek:

I guess England should be thankful they are not in the same group as Ireland, at current form I would expect the Irish to easily come on top of the English. Seems pretty likely now that Ireland will edge the West Indies out to come in 4th place and qualify.

Bigfella
20 Feb 15,, 08:25
England were beating India a few weeks back, so I'm betting they could pull themselves together enough to roll Ireland. However, they look like a rabble at the moment. There was a WC some years back (maybe late 90s) when Sri Lanka rolled them for about 120 & got the score in around 12 overs. This is really a disgrace.

kuku
20 Feb 15,, 16:23
Such a shame about England, such a boring world cup, where are the cliffhangers man, very very boring tournament till now no fun to watch at all. I was expecting india Pakistan match to be better even that was boring :pari:

InExile
21 Feb 15,, 06:33
England were beating India a few weeks back, so I'm betting they could pull themselves together enough to roll Ireland. However, they look like a rabble at the moment. There was a WC some years back (maybe late 90s) when Sri Lanka rolled them for about 120 & got the score in around 12 overs. This is really a disgrace.

I find England and India somewhat similar in world cricket, both with large pools of talent and resources (England relative to Australia, NZ and SA) and enthusiasm for the game, but generally underachievers, with occasional moments of brilliance.

England will probably be in a bit of shock after this defeat, but don't think Scotland are as good as Ireland, so I would still expect England to win on Sunday. Might get some momentum going into the QF if they can come back and beat Sri Lanka

Bigfella
21 Feb 15,, 07:44
I find England and India somewhat similar in world cricket, both with large pools of talent and resources (England relative to Australia, NZ and SA) and enthusiasm for the game, but generally underachievers, with occasional moments of brilliance.

Fair bit of truth in that. Both nations should be able to produce consistently better teams.

England will probably be in a bit of shock after this defeat, but don't think Scotland are as good as Ireland, so I would still expect England to win on Sunday. Might get some momentum going into the QF if they can come back and beat Sri Lanka

England v Sri Lanka should be interesting. Will be an important game.

Pakistan folded like a cheap suit today against a Windies team that lost to Ireland last weak. Utter disgrace.

cataphract
21 Feb 15,, 11:50
Such a shame about England, such a boring world cup, where are the cliffhangers man, very very boring tournament till now no fun to watch at all. I was expecting india Pakistan match to be better even that was boring :pari:

The so-called associates have given better entertainment than the full time members so far.

barangai
21 Feb 15,, 17:07
After the performance in the first 2 matches,Pakistan don't stand a chance against Ireland let alone South africa.

Most likely ireland will enter Quarter final.

InExile
22 Feb 15,, 02:36
Pakistan folded like a cheap suit today against a Windies team that lost to Ireland last weak. Utter disgrace.

This pool is now wide open, SA should top and India should come 2nd assuming they don't monumentally screw up.

3rd and 4th place should be up for grabs, I think Ireland might even fancy themselves to come 3rd now.

InExile
22 Feb 15,, 07:29
This pool is now wide open, SA should top and India should come 2nd assuming they don't monumentally screw up.

3rd and 4th place should be up for grabs, I think Ireland might even fancy themselves to come 3rd now.

India playing really well against SA; great batting :cool:

Bigfella
22 Feb 15,, 08:45
India put up a good total, though underachieved in the last 10 overs as it did against Pakistan. I don't think any team has ever chased 300 on the MCG, so India are in a powerful position. This should give us an idea where SA is at.

Meanwhile it took Sri Lanka 48 overs and 6 wickets to chase down a modest Afghan total. Some of the minnows are sticking it to the big boys here. Perhaps the ICC should re-consider the access these teams have to regular games against Test nations. It won't of course. That would be in the best interests of the game, rather than a few powerful stakeholders.

bolo121
22 Feb 15,, 09:02
I was frankly amazed by Dhawan, a century against SA by him of all people.
It looks like we failed to accelerate one more and are around 30 runs short.
This is an eminently gettable total. If De Kock who one took 3 centuries in a row against us fires, and Amla drops anchor at the other end they can make good platform.
After that it would be AB firing away with both barrels.

Bigfella
22 Feb 15,, 09:14
I put Dawan's performance down to home ground advantage. :biggrin:

It is certainly gettable for SA, but not easily. If you guys bowl well you will win.

For Indians watching at home, despite being a 25 minute walk from the MCG I can hear the crowd at times today. Its like an AFL Grand Final. :)

bolo121
22 Feb 15,, 09:47
A topsy turvey day.
Dhavan scores a century and Amla of all peoples mistimes a short one.
2 Down.

cataphract
22 Feb 15,, 10:40
For Indians watching at home, despite being a 25 minute walk from the MCG I can hear the crowd at times today. Its like an AFL Grand Final. :)

It was twice as loud at Adelaide :)

This was pretty much the only way we were going to get rid of deVilliers. Well played Mohit.

bolo121
22 Feb 15,, 11:28
All over bar the shouting.
7 down. A very subdued SA reply.
A good weekend so far.

cataphract
22 Feb 15,, 11:33
It was twice as loud at Adelaide :)

Scratch that, forgot that the Mumbai Cricket Ground has a capacity crowd of 86,000. :O

Bigfella
22 Feb 15,, 11:40
Fascinating form lines emerging. SA had an average game against Zimbabwe & are being wrecked by India. Pakistan look ordinary. England look worse. Australia look good, but that is partly based on pre-WC form. India look like they have their heads in the right space at last. New Zealand look red hot. Sri Lanka look flat.

While the games may not be super exciting, the results are interesting.

popillol
22 Feb 15,, 12:17
Looked like SA were trying to convert every singles into doubles...

popillol
22 Feb 15,, 12:32
Lolmax!! That same Pakistani man wears SA jersey this time in hope of bursting the crackers, disappointed again!! :biggrin::biggrin: (Rakh isse!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oB1CUxX1JJE

barangai
22 Feb 15,, 17:07
Can Pakistan defeat South africa?

Tronic
22 Feb 15,, 20:56
I put Dawan's performance down to home ground advantage. :biggrin:

It is certainly gettable for SA, but not easily. If you guys bowl well you will win.

When the MCG was a sea of blue

Shikhar Dhawan charges out to Imran Tahir and drives wide of long-off. MCG roars. Dale Steyn tears to his right, bends to try and pick it up one-handed, but fails to. Dhawan and Virat Kohli seize the chance to take a second run. MCG roars louder.

A few overs later, Dhawan pushes Steyn to the off side for a single. The tension builds as David Miller hunts the ball down, but his throw misses. MCG roars. The batsmen pinch another run off another overthrow. MCG roars louder.

An incensed Steyn steams in and bowls the next ball short. Dhawan whips it fine for four. MCG roars. The giant screen shows a close-up of Steyn's face as he swears away in frustration. MCG roars louder.

Four tiers of stands at the largest cricket ground in the world. Encircling the players, with barely an opening in between. You crane your neck upwards to look at the top row of the highest stand, which appears to touch the hanging, heavy cloud. You look down to the first row right at the edge of the outfield. Indian flags waving all around in frenzied uniformity. There is the odd South African one, but it seems as much at home as the South African team does in the face of such an overpowering, partisan crowd on what was supposed to be neutral territory. No wonder Alan Donald called this a home game for India.

This is Eden Gardens and another half of an Eden Gardens on top of it. This is Wankhede Stadium with another Wankhede Stadium on top of it. But this not Kolkata or Mumbai. This is Melbourne.

And there are Indians everywhere at the MCG. Indian citizens. Persons of Indian Origin. Staying across the breadth of the world. Hailing from different parts of a vast country. There was even an India flag with 'Bhuj' and 'Kutch' written on either side of the Ashok Chakra in the middle, showing clearly which part of which state in the country the fans came from. Speaking multiple tongues. Telugu in the row in front. Marathi in this one. Punjabi in the one behind. Hindi to the left. English with an Australian accent to the right.

Meanwhile, Dhawan wants to turn Steyn to leg. The ball balloons to short third man instead. All of them stop the small talk and stand up to scream for the single India take.

Kohli pulls a half-tracker from Imran Tahir straight to midwicket. MCG is stunned, then falls silent, before people start standing up again. Some to applaud Kohli for what seemed set to be many more than 46. Some run right to the edge of the boundary barriers to welcome Ajinkya Rahane. Somebody calls for people to sit down in the front rows because he cannot see what is happening. Nobody listens. This is their day out at the cricket at the MCG. Indian style.

Dhawan is on 99. People have been aware of the approaching landmark for a long time now. The noise is deafening with only a single needed. Dhawan plays three successive dots. The build-up to each ball is so intense you can feel it rush into your skin. He finally punches a boundary to get the hundred and the explosion of sound scorches right through you.

It is one of the days when being a billion-plus helps. You can fill out almost any ground anywhere in the world where your team is playing. Even the massive MCG is simmering with that expectant murmur so typical of Indian grounds throughout, waiting for anything in favour of India. Anything to erupt. It is taken for granted that there will be lots of Indian fans creating an atmosphere at an India limited-overs match, even outside the country. But the fact that it happens, again and again, is wonderful and should be celebrated, not least for the energy it provides and the spectacle it creates.

How must it have felt to be a South African fan in those towering columns of blue? How much pressure must that impassioned mass have put on the South African players? AB de Villiers felt all the support was definitely a boost for India but that his team tried not to let it affect them. But it is a rare day when South Africa fumble so much on the field, and allow so many singles and twos.

What did it mean to MS Dhoni and his men? Dhoni started by saying he was glad he had been asked about the crowd. "The attendance was 86 or 87 thousand (86,876). Let us give the benefit of doubt - 20,000 to the South African fans," Dhoni said. "To get over 50,000 people in Australia… the atmosphere that gets created. It starts from the warm-ups and after the national anthem, it just multiplies.

"The kind of support we are talking about… even when we are playing in India, some of the stadiums do not have that kind of capacity. Even when they are full, they are close to 40,000. Today we are seeing in Australia more than 50 to 60,000 people supporting us. Definitely we need to give a lot of credit to them. It is really heartening to see people coming from all over."

Just imagine the atmosphere if they make the World Cup final here on March 29, someone said after India had won. Just imagine.

When the MCG was a sea of blue | Cricket | ESPN Cricinfo (http://www.espncricinfo.com/icc-cricket-world-cup-2015/content/story/836963.html)

Now that must be a spectacle to see. Home ground advantage indeed.

Bigfella
23 Feb 15,, 07:47
Now that must be a spectacle to see. Home ground advantage indeed.

I believe he lives in Melbourne with his wife, who runs businesses here.

Bigfella
26 Feb 15,, 14:16
Some interesting results over the last few days. Ireland squeaked home when the UAE seemed to have their measure. This means Ireland's quest for a Quarter Final spot remains alive with Pakistan the main competition. Ireland still have to play SA, India, Zimbabwe & Pakistan. If they beat Zimbabwe they will have 6 points. Pakistan still have to play Zimbabwe, UAE, SA & Ireland. They can also get 6 points there, assuming no upsets. Right now Pakistan have a diabolical run rate & Ireland are just above even. Will make for a fascinating final match.

The other great result was Afghanistan beating Scotland. At 7 for 97 chasing about 201 Afghanistan looked done, but one of their guys got 96 & got them close enough that the final pair snuck over the line. The story of the rise of Cricket in Afghanistan is a good news story in every respect. A first World Cup win simply adds to that story. It is probably the only win they will get in what is a tough pool, but it is a tournament highlight.

Sri Lanka crushed Bangladesh tonight. Friday is Windies v SA & Saturday is Aus v NZ in NZ. Two big games.

Bigfella
27 Feb 15,, 11:15
De Villiers scores 162 off 66 balls against the Windies - who in turn may not make that many runs in total. Jason Holder conceded 95 runs from his last 5 overs - 64 off his last 2. OUCH!

This group is fascinating. India & SA are guaranteed to progress, but the last 2 spots might go to teams that only have 3 wins. With today's result the Windies take a hit to their run rate & come back to the pack.

Edit: Windies all out for 151. Now 4th in their group behind Ireland, who have played 2 less games.

Deltacamelately
27 Feb 15,, 13:56
BF,

We too have a tough Saturday ahead with UAE and that guy wearing the UAE T-Shirt eagerly waiting to burst his firecrackers.

cataphract
27 Feb 15,, 18:49
Rooting for NZ tonight but I'm afraid Aus will be too strong for them.

Bigfella
27 Feb 15,, 23:53
You are more confident that I am. We haven't played for 2 weeks & we are hitting the form team of the tournament on home soil. If they get a big score & then bowl well we could be in strife. Similarly, we will need to score big if we bat first, as Eden Park is a disgraceful excuse for a cricket ground & has some 55m boundaries (10m short of ICC standards - makes you wonder how it is allowed).

cataphract
28 Feb 15,, 01:50
You are more confident that I am. We haven't played for 2 weeks & we are hitting the form team of the tournament on home soil. If they get a big score & then bowl well we could be in strife. Similarly, we will need to score big if we bat first, as Eden Park is a disgraceful excuse for a cricket ground & has some 55m boundaries (10m short of ICC standards - makes you wonder how it is allowed).

The straight boundaries are short and the square ones long. Certainly not a common set-up. While top-edges might fly for sixes, miscued slogs would still be catchable.

bolo121
28 Feb 15,, 03:36
Holy Crap!!
First England and now NZ are doing it to Australia.
104/7 now.

NZ definitely the favourites for this Cup.

Edit: 109/9 now. The Aussies will have to take back all the england jokes now.

bolo121
28 Feb 15,, 07:48
A very close run thing in the end.
Starc almost does it for the Aussies.

Bigfella
28 Feb 15,, 09:00
holy crap!!
First england and now nz are doing it to australia.
104/7 now.

Nz definitely the favourites for this cup.

Edit: 109/9 now. the aussies will have to take back all the england jokes now.

NEVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad::mad:

Unlike the Poms, we actually put up a decent fight. We deserved to lose, but we salvaged some pride. The only issue now is that we can't afford any more washouts or another loss. We need to better Sri Lanka & come second in the group.

Bigfella
28 Feb 15,, 09:01
Similarly, we will need to score big if we bat first.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AajslFuPro

Blademaster
28 Feb 15,, 18:23
Looks like there was a reason why the India team played badly in the Test series and ODI series in Australia just right before the World Cup. They had bigger prizes on the horizon and were saving their form.

InExile
28 Feb 15,, 19:58
I am starting to question New Zealand's strategy of taking it to the bowling and knock off the runs as quickly as possible. It might blow away a team like England in low confidence, but it can backfire against a better bowling attack and cause them to very nearly lose the match, like today. Actually, it even backfired against Scotland, if anyone remembers. The Kiwi's have 2 or 3 batsmen in really good form, but the rest looked quite vulnerable against the pace of Starc and Cummins.

A better strategy might have been to score the runs slower, taking the singles and the occasional boundary against the bad ball reaching the target in 30-35 overs losing 2 or 3 wickets, instead of trying to slog the pace of someone as quick as Starc. That would have been a much more demoralizing loss for Australia and NZ would have looked invincible; now I see them as vulnerable in the semi's and finals against one of the top teams.

InExile
28 Feb 15,, 20:00
Looks like there was a reason why the India team played badly in the Test series and ODI series in Australia just right before the World Cup. They had bigger prizes on the horizon and were saving their form.

I think India played quite competitively in the Test series though you might be right about ODI's, losing twice to England. Looks like they were trying out new combinations and players with their eye's on the world cup.

bolo121
01 Mar 15,, 03:05
To me the critical thing was Dhoni. All that test cricket and the constant losses had really gotten to him.
The decision to retire from tests was timed exactly right for this world cup. He looks more relaxed and genuinely happy to be in the middle once more.

I doubt there was any plan involved in the losses earlier, its just that when you hit rock bottom there's nowhere to go but up.

bolo121
01 Mar 15,, 08:50
I woke up in time today to see Sri Lanka's batting.
England utterly abject, Sangakarra sublime.
Morgan had the same expression Dhoni has in test matches, Root was angry to see his century pissed away and Broad looked like he would burst into tears at any moment.

Bigfella
01 Mar 15,, 08:53
You can always rely on England & Pakistan to make you look good after a bad day. England finally made 300 against a decent team, Sri Lanka, only to have Sri Lanka get the runs 1 wicket down. OUCH! Then Pakistan get bowled out for 235 by Zimbabwe. Pakistan may still win, but Zimbabwe have a few blokes who can bat. Either way, Pakistan look just awful.

tantalus
01 Mar 15,, 17:59
You can always rely on England & Pakistan to make you look good after a bad day. England finally made 300 against a decent team, Sri Lanka, only to have Sri Lanka get the runs 1 wicket down. OUCH! Then Pakistan get bowled out for 235 by Zimbabwe. Pakistan may still win, but Zimbabwe have a few blokes who can bat. Either way, Pakistan look just awful.

Unfortunately for Ireland they held out.

Pakistan look just awful.
Hopefully that holds.

Seen very little of the cricket, just been reading the reports and talking to some fans.

Seems there has been some mental batting out there, huge scores and records destroyed, De villiers fastest 150 was ridiculous. Sounds like entertainment.

tantalus
03 Mar 15,, 19:40
Ouch, we got stuffed by South Africa. Now, we have made a proper entry to the tournament.

DarthSiddius
03 Mar 15,, 20:07
^You guys are easily the best associate team out there. The exposure at this level will only contribute towards a better Ireland next time around.

Bigfella
03 Mar 15,, 20:51
^You guys are easily the best associate team out there. The exposure at this level will only contribute towards a better Ireland next time around.

Only if it means regular access to games against top teams outside the WC. With numbers shrinking over the next 2 WCs there is no guarantee Ireland will be there in the future. Where is former semi-finalist Kenya these days?

Bigfella
04 Mar 15,, 09:31
Ouch, we got stuffed by South Africa. Now, we have made a proper entry to the tournament.

Yes. As a associate nation you haven't had a proper tournament until you've been crushed by a Test playing nation. UAE has had a couple - including a whalloping by Pakistan today. Australia is currently dismantling Afghanistan, and England got a touch up from NZ & Sri Lanka. :biggrin:

DarthSiddius
04 Mar 15,, 16:35
A great opinion piece by Jarrod Kimber. Echoes the problems faced by associates.

Unloved UAE (http://cricketwithballs.com/2015/03/01/unloved-uae/)

Amjad Javed, Khurram Khan and Krishna Chandran Karate play cricket for the United Arab Emirates. They also work for one of the national airlines of their country, Emirates.

Emirates is one of the major sponsors of the World Cup. Emirates has spent millions putting its banners up around the ground, sponsoring the reviews, playing its theme tune and generally making it known that it is the official airline of the World Cup.

The World Cup is a billion-dollar event. Companies like Emirates spend millions to align their brands with it. But the Emirates employees who are out in the middle, they are doing it as amateurs. When Khurram plays a cut shot so sweet you could taste it, Javed stands over his run-up like an Olympic diver, and Chandran plays and misses at an outswinger by an infinitesimal amount, they are part of the event, part of the vision statement. But they are the freaks.

Virat Kohli has his stats shown on the screen. The UAE players have their day jobs shown.

At best they are company cricket ringers. Brought in to fill a job as a day-wager, or receptionist, or clerk, but they also play for their company’s team. Of course, even that can go sour, as Paul Radley pointed out recently in the Cricket Monthly, with the case of Rohan Mustafa: “He almost missed out on making the final World Cup squad due to a work dispute brought about, predictably, by cricket. Without written permission from his employers, he played in a domestic match for another corporation. It infuriated his boss to the extent that he brought a case against Mustafa for absconding from duty. The claim was upheld in court and he was told to leave the country immediately.”

After the Emirates Cricket Board intervened, Mustafa received a new visa. Today he took a sensational one-hand catch at backward point and reviewed a decision while he was batting. That was from a ball he at no stage saw. The first time he saw it was on the big screen showing him how far he missed it by, and that he was playing a shot that doesn’t actually exist. Had his visa still been revoked, though, the catch would have got it reinstated.

Mustafa is not an Emirati. Most of this squad are expats, even Amjad Javed, who was born and bred in the UAE. Their captain is Mohammad Tauqir, who is Emirati. After a two-year retirement, and despite the fact he was 43, he was brought back to lead this team. Against India, he played a sweep shot so poorly he started to fall over before he was bowled. His first over went for 11. Later he said: “We need to do the basics right.”

When Australia played Pakistan in the UAE in 2014, they used Saqlain Haider (the back-up UAE keeper), when Brad Haddin couldn’t keep. Australia didn’t play the UAE. No one does. The ICC’s headquarters are in the UAE. Two other teams at this World Cup use it as a base. Everyone flies through it. The IPL was there. Sharjah has hosted more ODIs than most of us have been to. And yet it seems it is almost impossible, with all these tours, flights and training for international teams to actually play the UAE. As if full Test nations are allergic to them. Afghanistan, based in the same region, provide occasional games. Late last year, UAE beat them 3-1 in an ODI series.

Prior to the World Cup, the last time UAE played a full ICC member was seven years ago. “The whole tournament is a learning experience for us,” was how Tauqir talked about the pinnacle of cricket. They are using it to get better. This is their chance at improvement – the rest of the time they have to daydream about what it’s like to bowl to Chris Gayle. Here, they will learn, the hard way. Naked and alone in front of everyone at a World Cup. Not in an ODI in Dubai, or Trinidad, years earlier.

How do you improve if you don’t play the best teams? Should the UAE players visualise Umesh Yadav in training camps? Have their friends sledge them in Jamaican, South African and Indian slang from outside the nets? Pay tweeters to harass them? Until you have walked out on a ground knowing that the opposition has more analysts than you have players, you can’t truly know what top-level international cricket is like.

“The more we play against bigger nations the more we learn” Tauqir said. But what if they don’t want you to learn, they don’t care if you learn, or generally care if you exist?

The ICC tries to prepare them. By that, I mean the hard-working professionals who work for the ICC, not the chairmen who sit around counting “their” billion-dollar contracts and shooting off their mouths that the Associate sides are not good enough. The ICC got them Paul Collingwood and Mohammad Nazir to help out. It let them use its facilities. It gave them a small amount of money to keep them afloat.

That money doesn’t change that the UAE players have to work proper jobs, have had a retired player replace their captain, don’t hold passports for the team they represent. It doesn’t change the fact that cricket teams ignore them, that the sport itself is trying to get rid of them. They already know they probably won’t be in the next World Cup.

And there they are in Perth. At the WACA. Where professional teams, even the home team, have been humiliated.

The UAE were sent to Australia to acclimatise. They were even sent to Perth. They even played one whole game at the WACA. Before this game they even had one whole day at the WACA to train. They spent the other day travelling from Brisbane.

One game, one day, and then a World Cup match against India. At cricket’s most brutal ground. A ground that many teams have never acclimatised to, and all they had to do was play the world champions.

A bunch of amateurs in a billion-dollar tournament against a team of millionaires – what did cricket think would happen?

It happened. All day. Hook shots so late, the ball had already been forgotten. Batsmen handling swing like it had just been invented. Chandran’s entire innings was like watching a kitten take on a tank. They were at times beaten by pace, swing, seam, spin, lack of pace, straight balls, carrom balls. Oh, and bounce.

The UAE cricketers know about the WACA. Tauqir called it the “most difficult wicket in the world”. They’ve probably seen illegal videos of Curtly Ambrose destroying Australia, or that wacky one where the pitch cracks almost killed the New South Wales 2nd XI. They knew the bounce would be tough. They tried to hook and pull, and at times, very fleeting micro moments, they handled it beautifully. Mostly, it took their wickets, through pace or spin.

They were playing like a team trying to prove a point; they did prove a point, the opposition’s point. Those who want to get rid of teams like UAE will use this match to point out that Associates aren’t good enough. They will ignore the fact that West Indies got beaten in just such a lopsided game against South Africa. They will ignore the fact that UAE showed in their first game that cricket is actually stronger than even those who run it believe. They will ignore the schedule. The fact it was at the WACA. Anything. “They are just not good enough.”

According to Tauqir they had “two good games and one off day”. Associates aren’t allowed bad days. Netherlands had two bad days and lost their ODI status. The Full Member teams could have 200 bad days and only lose games.

While Emirates branding is everywhere at the ground, it is oddly not on the UAE team shirt. Emirates could easily spend 10% of its World Cup sponsorship on the national side. It doesn’t. It could easily have done a deal with the ICC where it asked to hold back some of that money and use it to make “their” side professional. It didn’t. The UAE players are used to this lack of support.

Their bosses don’t always support them. The major cricket teams don’t always support them. Cricket doesn’t always support them.

Today they didn’t support themselves. And while everything else might have led them to this place, it is the fact that they let each other down that will sting the most.

These are men who train every night of the week despite working full time. They are committed to cricket. They are working on their games. They are learning. They are amateurs. They are proud. They are cricketers. They should be angry with themselves.

“The Indian team is more professional,” Tauqir mentioned at one stage. “Professional”. How he must dream for such a day. The Indians are idolised, pampered and rewarded. His men are unwanted, unpaid, uninvited. And today they underperformed.

Blademaster
04 Mar 15,, 16:56
The ICC is extremely being short sighted by not supporting Associate teams and ensuring they retain a level of professional skill necessary to compete at the level of full ICC Members. ICC need to expand the membership of cricket playing nations and get more fans and viewership. India need to realize that it has great power and that it has a responsibility to promote cricket among Associate nations and encourage other nations to follow.

I would reduce Test cricket matches and introduce more ODI and Twenty20 matches between Full Members and Associate teams in between World Cups and encourage more revenue sharing so Associate cricket teams can use that money to build a domestic audience and encourage more domestic support for cricket. I would also introduce regional championships such as continental cups like FIFA does and promote cricket. Encourage Canada, USA, and other Latin countries to play cricket and promote it. Do the same thing for Africa and Southeast Asia such as Indonesia and Malaysia.

bolo121
04 Mar 15,, 17:04
yes indeed the ICC er i mean the BCCI are being complete dicks on this.
We need to back the associate teams otherwise cricket will never grow.

I personally would love to see Ireland grow and develop themselves.

Oracle
04 Mar 15,, 18:11

BCCI is the dictator of World Cricket, and you know how dictatorships end. There is hardly any accountability. What do we eat? Grass? 1.25 billion in population, and we don't have a single fast bowler? Politics, un-accountability, regionalism is stifling Indian cricket.

Bigfella
05 Mar 15,, 23:51

All they care about is the money. Associates offer no prospect of providing it, so they will be left to rot. The saddest thing is that the cost of really promoting cricket in the Associates is the budget of one or two IPL teams. Associate nations need a few scraps from the table, regular games against Test nations & access to the World Cup. They are going to end up with close to none of that. But hey, as long as the BCCI makes a quid.

BCCI is the dictator of World Cricket, and you know how dictatorships end. There is hardly any accountability. What do we eat? Grass? 1.25 billion in population, and we don't have a single fast bowler? Politics, un-accountability, regionalism is stifling World cricket.

Corrected that for you. A few years ago the BCCI decided that players who had signed up with a rival to the IPL should be punished. They leaned on other cricket boards to ban those players. A small taste of what they have in store for world cricket now that they completely run the show. I'm afraid that the politics, unaccountability, regionalism & corruption that has troubled the administration of Indian cricket are now the world's problem. Big nations like Australia will survive, but smaller nations & fringe ones are stuffed.

tantalus
07 Mar 15,, 12:43
Ireland beat Zimbabwe by 5 runs.

We batted 321 and took 4 early wickets. Zimbabwe still manage to get themselves in a position of needing 7 from 6 balls with all the momentum in place.

Followed this one via live text, and on the phone for the last couple of overs with my brother.

Unbelievable stuff.

Controversy with Williams, haven't seen it, could have been a 6 or a wicket on 46. They gave a wicket.

Super catch by Porterfield to get Panyangara on 47.

It looks like the Zimbabweans effort is in vain as they need 26 from the final 2 overs and the luck is indeed with the irish.

But 19 on 49 looks like it has us buried once again when Mupariwa hits 2 fours and a six in a row, devastating...

Final over. We take Chahaba who I was told hit the ball onto his own stumps. Chatar gets a lucky single which gets Mupariwa back in the slot, he hits high, high and we get him, all out for 326, we survive with 5 runs remaining.

What a game, what a finish.

And what a day, Pakistan beating SA was awful news, but this covers over that with ease, even if we don't qualify, this was surely live on in the memory.

Bigfella
07 Mar 15,, 23:28
It is still going to come down to the last game - Ireland v Pakistan. Pakistan should win, but if Ireland can find a way....

InExile
08 Mar 15,, 00:05
It is still going to come down to the last game - Ireland v Pakistan. Pakistan should win, but if Ireland can find a way....

There is also the India vs Ireland game; India have looked very strong in this tournament but do have a knack of screwing up.

Ireland deserve to be in the QFs after their performance, so will be rooting for them in both games.

Blademaster
08 Mar 15,, 03:03
There is also the India vs Ireland game; India have looked very strong in this tournament but do have a knack of screwing up.

Ireland deserve to be in the QFs after their performance, so will be rooting for them in both games.

I am rooting for at least two associate teams to make it to the QFs and at least one one associate team making it to the semi-finals. I am disgusted with BCCI and ICC for cutting down the number of teams for the next cricket cup. They are destroying the game of cricket and ruining any long term prospects for international events for the game of cricket. They are too greedy for their own good and for the good of the game.

cataphract
08 Mar 15,, 04:11
Impressive batting by Afghanistan today to recover from 59/6.

Ireland and Afghanistan are entirely deserving of qualification. I hope they do so at the expense of Bangladesh and Pakistan.

bolo121
08 Mar 15,, 08:23
The aussies going well today.
A few hiccups initially but Glen Maxwell is taking them apart.
You gotta feel for the poor lankan bowlers.

bolo121
08 Mar 15,, 14:07
What a waste, Sanga in the form of his life but Sri Lanka lacks the talent to support him.
Once him, jayawardne and dilshan retire there will be a huge gaping hole to fill.

InExile
09 Mar 15,, 09:05
Bangladesh on course for around 280, not a bad effort.

Quite an absorbing contest between two evenly matched teams ;)

InExile
09 Mar 15,, 09:50
This World cup is set up quite nicely, no team is out and away the best so should be an intriguing contest till the end.

India is performing quite well so hope they can keep it up, but they will be sorely tested if they get to the semis to face Australia or NZ. South Africa haven't looked their best; but their problem in the previous world cups has probably been peaking too early so perhaps this time around might be different for them and they will fire at the right time. Pakistan are too unpredictable but can beat the best on their day. Sri Lanka haven't looked capable of beating the top teams in this tournament so don't see them getting past the Semis. NZ has the best bowling attack probably, but their batting looks to be vulnerable if McCullum doesn't fire.

Australia are probably the best team overall, but they definitely are beatable as NZ has already shown.

bolo121
18 Mar 15,, 15:29
Lots of expectations for a good fight between Sri Lanka And South Africa.
All dashed, the lankans collapsed with hardly a fight.

cataphract
19 Mar 15,, 05:20
India batting first at the MCG. I expect us to score 300-odd and win the game by ~50 runs. Should be a great watch.

Oracle
19 Mar 15,, 05:28
Rohit Sharma & Jadeja - why they're in the team is beyond me. Ofcourse Jadeja is Dhoni's pet and CSK team-mate, plus they got business interests that coincide. And Rohit is the darling of the big guns from Maharashtra even if he's not in form. Dinesh Karthick would have been a good bet instead of Rohit, and Binny in place of Jadeja.

cataphract
19 Mar 15,, 05:38
Rohit Sharma & Jadeja - why they're in the team is beyond me. Ofcourse Jadeja is Dhoni's pet and CSK team-mate, plus they got business interests that coincide. And Rohit is the darling of the big guns from Maharashtra even if he's not in form. Dinesh Karthick would have been a good bet instead of Rohit, and Binny in place of Jadeja.

Binny??! The guy couldn't buy a run or a wicket if he won the lottery. If anything, HE's the one in the team due to his daddy. I'd put in Bhuvi instead of Jadeja.

Oracle
19 Mar 15,, 06:11
Binny??! The guy couldn't buy a run or a wicket if he won the lottery. If anything, HE's the one in the team due to his daddy. I'd put in Bhuvi instead of Jadeja.

Fine, not Binny, but not Bhuvi please. We don't need 5 bowlers, 4 regular bowlers is fine. Karthick in place of Rohit, but who'd be the all-rounder in place of Jadeja?

My guess is, India would go on to defend the WC Title successfully.

cataphract
19 Mar 15,, 07:29
Fine, not Binny, but not Bhuvi please. We don't need 5 bowlers, 4 regular bowlers is fine. Karthick in place of Rohit, but who'd be the all-rounder in place of Jadeja?

My guess is, India would go on to defend the WC Title successfully.

Bhuvi actually bats better than Jadeja. And Dinesh Karthik isn't an opening batsman. Nor is he in form. Perhaps you were thinking of Robin Uthappa?

bolo121
19 Mar 15,, 07:56
Oh dear 3 down with 133 on the board and 19 overs left. Shades of 2007 anyone?

Oracle
19 Mar 15,, 10:45
Bangladesh - 2 wickets in 2 consecutive balls. What were they thinking? They don't need 10 runs/over.

Oracle
19 Mar 15,, 10:48
Bhuvi actually bats better than Jadeja. And Dinesh Karthik isn't an opening batsman. Nor is he in form. Perhaps you were thinking of Robin Uthappa?

Dinesh did open some ODI innings, plus as a back-up keeper he's better than Wriddiman Saha anyday. I didn't mean Robin, but he could be a good fit in place of Jadeja. It seems both Rohit and Jadeja heard me out and performed today. :)

bolo121
20 Mar 15,, 10:43
What a time to be stuck at the office.
Pakistan are in this with a shout.
3 in the hutch and only 60 on the board.

Ah well, seems business as usual...watto dropped and now maxwell dropped.

DarthSiddius
20 Mar 15,, 21:30
India v Australia, get hyped!!!

My Pakistani co-worker called in sick, I wonder why...

bolo121
21 Mar 15,, 07:00
Martin Guptill!!!!!!!!

Holy Shit!!!!!!!

West Indies have been brutalized and ground into the grass here.

Disappointing quarter finals. All of them have been one sided with no tense close run finishes.

Parihaka
21 Mar 15,, 22:20
Daniel showing his age

tantalus
24 Mar 15,, 12:04
Obviously a great game, but did the rain undo South Africa? Can't help but fell sorry for them....

bolo121
24 Mar 15,, 13:06
Incredible Game.
Very poor productivity in the office today. Everyone was glued to cricinfo.

I think 298 in 43 would have become 380 in 50 but NZ would have adjusted as well.
It was a total which should have been easy for SA to hold after 4 down. Nail biter all the way to the end.

I hope we also fight Aus right down to the wire. I would love for a second MS Dhoni WC but to mangle an old quote, the aussies would say 'We have Glen Maxwell and they have naught'

Oracle
24 Mar 15,, 13:14
Obviously a great game, but did the rain undo South Africa? Can't help but fell sorry for them....

Probably. But let's see - SA scored 281 off 43 overs. If rain hadn't played spoilsport, SA would have scored 350 (assume) in 50 overs. NZ scored 299 in 42.5 overs and in 50 overs they would have chased the target down. NZ is the best team of this tournament and they proved it today. Right now, they seem unstoppable.

bolo121
24 Mar 15,, 16:41
How Pari must be feeling right now...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csBaUsAySSQ

Oracle
25 Mar 15,, 06:02
Many people will be sick tomorrow. I'm already battling cough.

bolo121
25 Mar 15,, 07:57
Many people will be sick tomorrow. I'm already battling cough.

Sadly I already had actual illness, real bad flu and am just getting better now.
All sick leaves over.

Samuels creek
25 Mar 15,, 09:15
Incredible Game.
the aussies would say 'We have Glen Maxwell and they have naught'

We also have Shane Watson, that evens things out.

Oracle
25 Mar 15,, 10:36
Sadly I already had actual illness, real bad flu and am just getting better now.
All sick leaves over.

Bad timing of flu? :biggrin: Just kidding. Hope you doing okay now.

No meetings, no code releases, nothing planned for tomorrow. Someone wants a concall tomorrow, but I'll be sick.

World Cup fever: Planning to fall ill tomorrow? (http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/sports/icc-world-cup-2015/top-stories/World-Cup-fever-Planning-to-fall-ill-tomorrow/articleshow/46682733.cms)

bolo121
26 Mar 15,, 07:59
Checked the score at work.......deja vu.
Its exactly like the tests and one dayers, India getting taken apart with very little drama, Steve Smith coasts to another effortless century and now maxwell will blast them to 400.
No close semi here its a big yellow steamroller

Oracle
26 Mar 15,, 19:29
I'm depressed. Very depressed. Congratulations Aussies, you were the better team today.

DarthSiddius
27 Mar 15,, 16:21
Meh, used up a vacation day. That comfort food.

kuku
27 Mar 15,, 19:15
Ind vs Aus was a boring match, not worth a semifinal, The Indian team was very passive and did not give a fight.

NZ vs Aus
That is a good match, NZ has won tough close matches, Aus can bat deep and have that sting in their bowling.

May it be a close match like that thriller of a SA vs NZ semi.

kuku
29 Mar 15,, 11:18
Looks like the Australians are on their way to another one.... there should be a rule for Aus to play with 8 players maximum, and bat with a Stump.

One more boring match, this world cup was boring, cricket is loosing its charm.

InExile
29 Mar 15,, 18:57
Well played Australia, I am disappointed that NZ couldn't win but in the end the Aussies were the best team by a wide margin. Was a great World Cup with some memorable matches.

5 World Cup wins, are we in for another period of Australian dominance? 5-0 in the Ashes might be their next goal, will England be prepared in 4 months time?

Officer of Engineers
29 Mar 15,, 19:08
So Kiwis are really great at one thing. Losing to the Australians. That's got to hurt.

tantalus
03 Apr 16,, 19:07
Insane finish to the T20 final. Last over was some drama. Four sixes on first four balls as West Indies needed 19. Congrats to West Indies, tough for the English.

Remarkable final in terms of the bowling and so many lost wickets in the early overs. England really dug deep to get to 155 and give themselves something to defend.

Getting Gayle out early gave them great momentum, momentum that the West Indies had only moments earlier and never seemed to regain until that mental freak finish.

bolo121
03 Apr 16,, 19:19
Insane finish to the T20 final. Last over was some drama. Four sixes on first four balls as West Indies needed 19. Congrats to West Indies, tough for the English.

Remarkable final in terms of the bowling and so many lost wickets in the early overs. England really dug deep to get to 155 and give themselves something to defend.

Getting Gayle out early gave them great momentum, momentum that the West Indies had only moments earlier and never seemed to regain until that mental freak finish.

Poor Ben Stokes, he was reduced to tears. 4 mighty sixes from Braithwaithe.

tantalus
03 Apr 16,, 19:27
Poor Ben Stokes, he was reduced to tears. 4 mighty sixes from Braithwaithe.

Scarring, how many moments in his life will the memory of those four balls sneak into a conscious thought...

Bigfella
05 Apr 16,, 13:07
Scarring, how many moments in his life will the memory of those four balls sneak into a conscious thought...

England have an ability to lose big games (and small ones for that matter) which no major Cricket nation can match. They have lost 3 50 over World Cup Finals and now a T20 one into the mix. They just do it so wonderfully well. Bless their little hearts.

Well done Windies. Needed to win something after a crap run. Braithwaite was one of the few players who impressed me this summer - not the most talented, but he had a go. if the rest of his team tried as hard they would be competitive. Hope this bleeds into their test cricket.

Marty Mcfly
26 Jun 16,, 23:05
Just another stupid "sport" put on so you retards would be distracted enough to not worry about the fact that they slip in a bunch of non-whites because hey, "they're just like us" or "we all bleed red" or, the most hilarious of them all, "divesity is our strength". Bunch of stupid sheeple.

tbm3fan
26 Jun 16,, 23:24
Just another stupid "sport" put on so you retards would be distracted enough to not worry about the fact that they slip in a bunch of non-whites because hey, "they're just like us" or "we all bleed red" or, the most hilarious of them all, "divesity is our strength". Bunch of stupid sheeple.

Dun ta dun dun 41670

Parihaka
27 Jun 16,, 00:47

begone

DarthSiddius
12 Dec 16,, 18:34
India currently demolishing England in Tests. Good times!!
Excellent Over from Ashwin, made the ball dance all around poor Bairstow! Can't wait for the Ind v Aus test series next. Can't see the Aussies being any better...

https://streamable.com/istd

DarthSiddius
24 Mar 17,, 22:26
Ind v Aus. It's been a cracker of a series so far. Scores level at 1:1. Final game starts tonight, can't let the convicts keep the Border-Gavaskar Trophy. Hyped!!