PDA

View Full Version : Ok It is official. I have just been financially castrated!!!

Blademaster
27 Mar 14,, 01:32
I am now the proud first time owner of a new house, all 3,000 sq ft with 5 bedrooms (actually 4. That last one was kinda too small) and 3 bathrooms. I got a pool and a big backyard in a nice school district that has AAA+ rating and one of the best in the nation, so phew, that saves me from having to shell out for a private education for my future kids.

The last couple months have been really busy with the trials and the house and coming up with the necessary funds to pay for this house (20% down payment).

This house is a good investment. The house has already appreciated close to $35k-50K in the time it took me to close on this house. So after 5 years if the housing sector recovers, I would have 50% equity. Not bad at all.

First order of business:
Host a BBQ with beers!!!!

Second order of business:
Get a second job after you just realized you just lost your liquidity for the next 5 years.

Third order of business:
Clean up the backyard. It is full of moles so I need to treat it and get rid of the pesky moles and make it look nice again. The house itself doesn't need much work. I just have to repair a circuit breaker and clean up the floors. I plan to tackle the windows next year, upgrading them from old windows to new modern impact windows that should mean more savings from hurricane insurance. I would like to install solar powered pool heater.

In third year, I plan to renovate the master bedroom and convert the 5th bedroom into a walk-in closet or master bathroom and change the old master bathroom into walk-in closets. I would have to make a decision based on where the plumbings are. Then I plan to upgrade my other 2 bathrooms into something more nicer.

Right now I have to replace the fridge and oven with stainless steel products and get a new sofa. Arrrggggghhhhhh!!!!
My wallet is not looking happy. I gotta fleece more money out of more clients. Time for me to turn to the dark side.

Officer of Engineers
27 Mar 14,, 02:28
My wallet is not looking happy. I gotta fleece more money out of more clients. Time for me to turn to the dark side.Your wallet is going to even be more unhappy when your wife gets ideas about the house.

Pedicabby
27 Mar 14,, 02:52
I gotta fleece more money out of more clients. Time for me to turn to the dark side.

Been in the dark side since 92. It rocks and you always have money for beer.

Officer of Engineers
27 Mar 14,, 04:45
Wait a minute? Moles? I have a guy to come in to check the pool and the foundation. If they are a problem in your backyard, then chances are that they've already dug through your foundation and your pool bed base.

sated buddha
27 Mar 14,, 08:03
Congrats Blade. May the new home bring you wealth and happiness and good health always.

I too am house hunting these days. Its an all consuming process. I come in to work. Get things moving with my team. And the rest of the day am in my car moving from site to site, getting things done on my mobile and tablet. Luckily my bosses are having one of their quiet/out of country phases right now .....

bonehead
27 Mar 14,, 08:12
Kiss your spare time goodbye as you will play "handyman" for a while. Secondly the only way to get rid of the moles is to kill them.

Congratulations on the new home. It will be well worth it.

Tamara
27 Mar 14,, 08:18
AAAAAGGGGG!

I have probably been influenced by all the horror stories of relationships to be scared away from ever seeking another one.

And now you come out with this to discourage me from building my hacienda!

bigross86
27 Mar 14,, 09:20
Congrats! The missus and I are going to be looking for a house, but not for another year or two, once we get past the wedding/honeymoon and have a better idea of what our finances are looking like and what we can actually afford.

tankie
27 Mar 14,, 11:59
Moles , chances are there is only one being active as moles are territorial and one can dig up to 20 metres per day , giving the impression there's a myriad of them ? , they come together only to breed , ref foundations they run deep where a mole works at about 4 to 5 inches in softer soil , they will avoid concrete foundations by going around them,they will only work in softish soil , obvious reasons ? and not clay , which your founds will be built on Hitesh , 2 effective ways of control are , 1 traps 1 poison , when my father and I were doing control we used a product called strychnine ( now banned here ) but others are available , like cymag tablets ? , liquid strychnine which comes in powder form , add water , place a worm in to the liquid , define where the run is (main runs are best ) dibble down 4 inches place poisoned worm in hole using tongs , press down firmly to close the run then the mole digs through the spoil n hey presto , finds worm , eats , kaput , make sure you flatten the hill spoils so if there are new ones , you aint killed it ? repeat several times in diffo runs , next method is a barrel trap which works by digging out a 4 inch part of the run , place in the trap (sprung with toggle ) replace earth and mole goes through , hits toggle ,,gets neck caught , kaput , poison is prefered method however , its less work ,better still , get a pest control officer but dont let him have you over with B/S saying your infested , hes after your cash mate , digging yourself , nahhhhhhhhh , unless of course your an engineer and like digging etc etc , methinks our Ooe was putting the heeby jeebies up ya bum hole m8y , or mole hole :biggrin:

Blademaster
27 Mar 14,, 15:27
Congrats Blade. May the new home bring you wealth and happiness and good health always.

I too am house hunting these days. Its an all consuming process. I come in to work. Get things moving with my team. And the rest of the day am in my car moving from site to site, getting things done on my mobile and tablet. Luckily my bosses are having one of their quiet/out of country phases right now .....

Thanks for the wishes. Where are you located?

Blademaster
27 Mar 14,, 15:29
Wait a minute? Moles? I have a guy to come in to check the pool and the foundation. If they are a problem in your backyard, then chances are that they've already dug through your foundation and your pool bed base.

Well during my walkthrough I checked the backyard and I felt the ground was kinda spongy and soft. I mentioned it to the real estate agent and he said it is most likely a mole problem. He said I could treat it by spraying something on the backyard and rid of it but I plan to do more research. I didn't see any push up hill or trail, just that the ground was spongy.

Blademaster
27 Mar 14,, 15:32
Your wallet is going to even be more unhappy when your wife gets ideas about the house.

Tell me about it. I already got into a shouting match, screaming my wallet cannot take it anymore but my wife has this peculiar look on her face, already scheming and calculating. Whenever I point out that the wishes doesn't meet the financial reality, my wife just looks at me and says, "Sure honey I am sure you are right, now tell me what do you think of this color or what...."

Wives.... can't live with them, can't live without them.

Albany Rifles
27 Mar 14,, 15:42
For moles get traps and a cat.

They form a hell of a team.

Monash
28 Mar 14,, 02:53
Congrats, did the same thing myself three years ago, into what sounds a similar house and area. Good news was that the house was exactly the layout we wanted, open plan, light filled, heated pool and quiet cul-de-sac. The bad news was that it had to be complexity renovated on the inside (decor and fittings were all 1970's). Six months and two nervous breakdowns later we had a modern home - this period also coincided with my absence from this forum for some reason which escapes me now. You ever want to stress test your marriage try living in a place being renovated around you. I do not recommend it. The end result was worth the effort though.

Oh and with me it was possums. I had one arrogant little bastard take up residence in my garage roof, he used shit all over the pool deck every night for some reason and then walk down the driveway on his way out to prowl, giving me me the finger through the patio window on his way past (no trees for him since I was obviously no threat). Took me ages to find out where he lived - then evict him.

JAD_333
28 Mar 14,, 07:52
Congrats Blade.

Sounds like a great place.

Like Albany says, a cat will help with the moles (if you don't mind finding their carcasses on your porch).

Where's home? Michigan?

Doktor
28 Mar 14,, 08:05
Tell me about it. I already got into a shouting match, screaming my wallet cannot take it anymore but my wife has this peculiar look on her face, already scheming and calculating. Whenever I point out that the wishes doesn't meet the financial reality, my wife just looks at me and says, "Sure honey I am sure you are right, now tell me what do you think of this color or what...."

Congrats on the house, hope you have kids to fill it ;)

No point in arguing, shouting, etc. with the wifey, she is Always right. Just nod, say a lot of yes, sure, ok, nod again and tell her she can surely buy those things AFTER she pays the loan, the bills, the...

Meanwhile...

Doktor
28 Mar 14,, 08:06

Congrats on the house, hope you have kids to fill it ;)

No point in arguing, shouting, etc. with the wifey, she is Always right. Just nod, say a lot of yes, sure, ok, nod again and tell her she can surely buy those things AFTER she pays the loan, the bills, the...

Meanwhile...

bonehead
28 Mar 14,, 08:57
LOL, I think he heard you the first time.

Doktor
28 Mar 14,, 09:47
LOL, I think he heard you the first time.

I am training him ;)

Tamara
28 Mar 14,, 09:57

Maybe you guys should become Craigs List Gurus and learn to "Scavage".

Doktor
28 Mar 14,, 10:29
Maybe you guys should become Craigs List Gurus and learn to "Scavage".

Maybe we should take our wifes to that training, huh?

lemontree
28 Mar 14,, 10:52
First, Congratulations....:tankie:

Second order of business:
Get a second job after you just realized you just lost your liquidity for the next 5 years.

I some people who will pay a lot of money to ensure that a particular singer (of sinking ships) is kept away :biggrin:

Tamara
28 Mar 14,, 11:24
Maybe we should take our wifes to that training, huh?
What is the secret to Tamara's thriftiness?

On the surface, it's an approach about money where when I get money, I don't think, what can I spend this on.

But it's more than that. It comes down to that for all my ambitions, I am basically LAZY and CHEAP!

bonehead
28 Mar 14,, 15:37
I am training him ;)

He has a wife for that.

bonehead
28 Mar 14,, 15:39
What is the secret to Tamara's thriftiness?

On the surface, it's an approach about money where when I get money, I don't think, what can I spend this on.

But it's more than that. It comes down to that for all my ambitions, I am basically LAZY and CHEAP!

Lazy AND cheap rarely go hand in hand.

Doktor
28 Mar 14,, 15:58
He has a wife for that.

Explains his absence.

Doktor
28 Mar 14,, 15:58

Why?

sated buddha
28 Mar 14,, 16:14

I agree. Not saying Tamara is not, but I agree.

People who are cheap will go to extraordinary lengths and a lot of effort to save that bit extra or get that much off the best dal readily available. Its a non productive pursuit.But sometimes its not easy extrapolating by simply wondering if they had spent the same effort in doing something productive and value creating. Because being cheap is what they do and can do, and creating wealth is what they have probably maxed out on.

I'm a thrifty shopper too, but for services I guess I get conned a lot.

Blademaster
28 Mar 14,, 16:49
Congrats Blade.

Sounds like a great place.

Like Albany says, a cat will help with the moles (if you don't mind finding their carcasses on your porch).

Where's home? Michigan?

South Florida.

Doktor
28 Mar 14,, 16:55
South Florida.

So, on top of everything you got free mosquitoes for total joy?

Stitch
28 Mar 14,, 17:18

AND 'gators!

Close to the Everglades, Blade?

Doktor
28 Mar 14,, 17:22
AND 'gators!

He is a lawyer, too :biggrin:

JAD_333
28 Mar 14,, 17:34
South Florida.

We'll be sharing the same hurricanes. We own a lot on Padre Island, TX, and plan to build on it soon.

Blademaster
28 Mar 14,, 17:42

Got a screened patio. Plan to install anti mosquito fans and traps with repellants to keep mosquitoes away.

Blademaster
28 Mar 14,, 17:43
AND 'gators!

Professional courtesy. :biggrin:

Blademaster
28 Mar 14,, 17:43
We'll be sharing the same hurricanes. We own a lot on Padre Island, TX, and plan to build on it soon.

Since it is an island, I am guessing you won't have to worry about water problems and since it is Texas, I am sure the land is cheap. How's the weather like and social life there?

bonehead
28 Mar 14,, 19:45
Why?

Case in point. I have a lot of work to do in my back yard. I can have someone else do it to the tune of 1400.00 Or I can get my hands dirty for a handful of weekends and do it for just the cost of materials ie 15 yards of dirt. 300.00.

Tamara
28 Mar 14,, 19:49
Since it is an island, I am guessing you won't have to worry about water problems and since it is Texas, I am sure the land is cheap. How's the weather like and social life there?

Land is cheap in Texas?

That depends on where you are.

For instance, in Big Bend Country, it can be as low as $205/acre (http://www.landsoftexas.com/texas/land-for-sale/40-acres-in-Presidio-County-Texas/id/1640339) while down on south Padre at Port Isabel one could be looking at $50Kish for .11 acres (http://www.landsoftexas.com/texas/land-for-sale/0.11-acres-in-Cameron-County-Texas/id/1614770).

I paid about 7 Grand an acre at my ranch.

Blademaster
28 Mar 14,, 20:12
Land is cheap in Texas?

For instance, in Big Bend Country, it can be as low as $205/acre (http://www.landsoftexas.com/texas/land-for-sale/40-acres-in-Presidio-County-Texas/id/1640339) while down on south Padre at Port Isabel one could be looking at $50Kish for .11 acres (http://www.landsoftexas.com/texas/land-for-sale/0.11-acres-in-Cameron-County-Texas/id/1614770).

Still cheap compared to my lot. My lot was valued at a couple hundred thousand dollars. It was worth more than the dwelling that sits on it. As the real estate proverb goes, "Location, Location, Location"

Doktor
28 Mar 14,, 20:55
Case in point. I have a lot of work to do in my back yard. I can have someone else do it to the tune of 1400.00 Or I can get my hands dirty for a handful of weekends and do it for just the cost of materials ie 15 yards of dirt. 300.00.

What's your earning per hour compared to your saving?

I am like Tamara on this one, lazy and cheap. If someone can make it for me while I make bigger buck elsewhere, it's no-brainer.

If i have to pay for fitness, but instead I can save something doing it on my own, I'll do it then.

However, being kinda guy who can make all the plans nice on paper but the execution will turn into expensive mess, it's sometime worth more if I sleep ;)

Gun Grape
29 Mar 14,, 03:20
AND 'gators!

Don't forget the 10-14ft snakes.

Gun Grape
29 Mar 14,, 03:22
Land is cheap in Texas?

Yea that's cheap.

JAD_333
29 Mar 14,, 03:44

It's the Gulf...water is salty. Fresh water sometimes runs low. The land is pricy in some places, but probably less so than in Fla. The weather is nice in the winter 60s-70s, sometimes upper 40s; scorching hot in the summer. Social life will have to wait until I get there. :) Lots of fishing and partying. Texans are a bit wild compared to folks out your way. Just about everyone drives a full-sized pickup. It's oil country. South Fla is nice, but a bit crowed. Seems like the whole state is crowded; could hardly find an stretch of open beach on the Atlantic side last time I was there.

JAD_333
29 Mar 14,, 03:48
Yea that's cheap.

Still doing concrete? I'm gonna need a raised slab before too long. :)

Blademaster
29 Mar 14,, 05:04
South Fla is nice, but a bit crowed. Seems like the whole state is crowded; could hardly find an stretch of open beach on the Atlantic side last time I was there.

South Florida seems crowded because there is only a narrow strip of land running north and south from Lake Okeechobee to Homestead. 75% of the Palm Beach, Broward, and Dade counties fall in the Everglades and they are protected so that narrow strip of land which is 20 miles wide at the most. If you go above Ft. pierce and between Melbourne and between Daytona Beach and Cape Canaveral/Titusville, you will find stretches of open beach on the Atlantic side.

bonehead
31 Mar 14,, 05:35
What's your earning per hour compared to your saving?

I am like Tamara on this one, lazy and cheap. If someone can make it for me while I make bigger buck elsewhere, it's no-brainer.

If i have to pay for fitness, but instead I can save something doing it on my own, I'll do it then.

However, being kinda guy who can make all the plans nice on paper but the execution will turn into expensive mess, it's sometime worth more if I sleep ;)

I don't "work" on the weekends. My choice is to pay someone else to do it or do it myself.