Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would a station's advertising compel you to kiss it good bye?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would a station's advertising compel you to kiss it good bye?

I was talking with a co worker of why I don't watch the new Dr. Who and it basically comes down that the Sci Fi channel and I had a falling out a few years back.

What did it? Well, in part, it was their advertising. One aspect of it was where they were saying that this or that night's line up was the most important night on television......and they were saying it about every night. To me, that's like the Victoria Secret's commercial that ends "and you just got to be there!". Not really sure why, maybe because I am being told what to do and I don't like it, but that kind of advertising just grits my teeth.

But the other thing was that on every single commercial break they were showing shows that I absolutely hate, Stargate and Enterprise. It's one thing just not to watch the shows that you don't like, but every time you turn on the channel to be reminded of them........................................I think it's obvious that sooner or later, you're not going to go there anymore.

It's like the channels which seem to be back to back, day to day, hour after hour, of some aspect of the L&O franchise (or the other crime show, multiple versions, franchises).

I don't watch those channels any more, either.

If a channel is all about certain shows one doesn't like, does it ever occur to them that they may be shooing away potential viewers?

Doncha' think?
    Last edited by Tamara; 24 Mar 14,, 06:49.

It's eventual for every station.

MTV was first to go out of the window in the late 90's for me, Then one by one all the NG/Discovery family and latest was history.
    CNN has deadline by Wednesday to either send Quest to find the plane or get their site blocked if they don't give up this saga. Prime source for news? Yeah, right.
    No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Originally posted by Doktor View Post
      It's eventual for every station.

MTV was first to go out of the window in the late 90's for me, Then one by one all the NG/Discovery family and latest was history.
      CNN has deadline by Wednesday to either send Quest to find the plane or get their site blocked if they don't give up this saga. Prime source for news? Yeah, right.
      You will have to explain that last line. What or who is Quest? Get their site, what site, blocked? What saga are they spinning?

I really haven't been keeping up with the plane; just figure it is somewhere on Earth in many, many pieces.

Comment

Quest is host on CNN. He is so intrusive, almost as Amanpour. You have a feeling all of a sudden the anchor will drop from the TV right in your room.

Their site, silly. They turned Malaysia's plane missing into soap opera, wonder if it is still breaking news (was few days ago).

Edit: It's still top on the page on #1 position. Thank you for reassuring me about my decision.
        Last edited by Doktor; 24 Mar 14,, 07:20.

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Originally posted by Doktor View Post
          Quest is host on CNN. He is so intrusive, almost as Amanpour. You have a feeling all of a sudden the anchor will drop from the TV right in your room.

Their site, silly. They turned Malaysia's plane missing into soap opera, wonder if it is still breaking news (was few days ago).
          Well, if you say so................I don't know this Amanpour, either.

I don't watch news for entertainment. If they can't get to the point real quick, I'm gone.

I am not sure when the news channels started to lose me. I think I was gone by the time of the Gifford shooting though if I wasn't, then I was. With them doing anything to get viewers, they had more people rising from the dead than Baron Samedi!

Just somewhere along the line, I realized the American news wasn't saying anything useful about what they were talking about and there was a lot of stuff that they weren't talking about that they should.

Comment

Originally posted by Tamara View Post
            I was talking with a co worker of why I don't watch the new Dr. Who and it basically comes down that the Sci Fi channel and I had a falling out a few years back.

What does the sci-Fi channel have to do with you not watching the show?

Dr Who is on BBC America.

Comment

If you ask me, you're making a mountain out of a molehill. Commercials are what's going to turn you off of a channel? Seriously?

You are aware of the fact that you have the ability to switch channels during the commercials, right? Or use Tivo and fast forward during the commercials.

To say that commercials turned you off of a product is one thing, but turning you off an entire channel? The lady doth protest too much, methinks.
              Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

I watch TV shows, not TV channels. Some channels have more shows I like than others. Some channels do news & current affairs more to my taste than others. Some channels import more good programs from overseas than others. I can't imagine ever boycotting a whole channel simply because I didn't like the ads.
                sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

Originally posted by Gun Grape View Post
                  What does the sci-Fi channel have to do with you not watching the show?

Dr Who is on BBC America.
                  I don't get BBC America.

Besides, I'm more of a classic Dr. Who fan.

Originally posted by bigross86 View Post
                  If you ask me, you're making a mountain out of a molehill. Commercials are what's going to turn you off of a channel? Seriously?

You are aware of the fact that you have the ability to switch channels during the commercials, right? Or use Tivo and fast forward during the commercials.

To say that commercials turned you off of a product is one thing, but turning you off an entire channel? The lady doth protest too much, methinks.
                  It wasn't just the commercials ALTHOUGH I think that was a very big part of it.

As I said, shows that I despise were constantly in my face, at every commercial break. It's not I could avoid the show by not watching it because it was there wherever I turned on that channel. I don't know if they were advertising Stargate and Enterprise on the screen while other shows were being shown, but I wouldn't be surprised.

Basically, if you are going to treat me that I MUST watch that show, then I am not going to be treated that way. I will take my viewing and any dollars you might get out of me, someplace else.

I don't have TIVO.

But as I said, it wasn't just that. It was also being tired of being jerked around by the station. They got me hooked on watching the encore of Battlestar Galactica and then at the season end episode, they didn't show it. No warning, it just wasn't there.

And it was going more and more to original programming and less and less of the past.

Sci Fi Channel, to me, went big business. In the 90's, it had the feel of a college sci fi club, but at the turn of the century, that disappeared. It didn't feel familiar anymore.

Add to it that so much of what they were showing was CRAP, (no LEXX, no Adventures of Jules Verne, no Tech Wars), it came down to

Insulted, pissed off, not interested anymore, Good Bye!

Comment

Originally posted by Bigfella View Post
                    I watch TV shows, not TV channels. Some channels have more shows I like than others. Some channels do news & current affairs more to my taste than others. Some channels import more good programs from overseas than others. I can't imagine ever boycotting a whole channel simply because I didn't like the ads.
                    I wouldn't do it for the ads only. but come here watch your TV show, commercials start, you go to lunch, take a shower, come back and still have 5 minutes of ads. Then you wonder what was that thing you were watching ;)

Comment

So lemme see if I get this straight:

You were upset that the channel was advertising shows you didn't like, showing you snippets and thereby "forcing" you to interact with those shows (which says something for your willpower). So you decided, like any rational adult would, to avoid even watching the shows you DID want to see, because of some commercials that you can tune out, use to go to the bathroom, mute, grab something to drink, etc....

Yeah, boycotting the channel is really the smart move here.

Then there's the argument that you feel they went big business. Understandable, makes perfect sense. But that has jack squat to do with the commercials.

So, did you A) leave because of the commercials, which means you're acting like any spoiled kindergartener would, and as soon as even the slightest thing doesn't go your way you immediately throw a fit, or B) leave because the channel changed its style, in which case, why in the world are you whingeing about commercials?!
                      Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

I left because the jerking around of the schedule, with the BSG encore, was the last straw.

As I recall from back then, there was a day when Sci Fi Channel was running 24 hours of L&O: SVU (another show I despise).....to say nothing about the Tuesday night wrestling. So they were building up a case against them.

As far as the commercials go, when the entertainment value drops, so does the willingness to put up with the discomfort.
                        Last edited by Tamara; 24 Mar 14,, 13:27.

Comment

I'm sorry, 90% of your OP is rubbish then.

What did it? Well, in part, it was their advertising. One aspect of it was where they were saying that this or that night's line up was the most important night on television......and they were saying it about every night. To me, that's like the Victoria Secret's commercial that ends "and you just got to be there!". Not really sure why, maybe because I am being told what to do and I don't like it, but that kind of advertising just grits my teeth.
                          So you have a problem with the advertising

But the other thing was that on every single commercial break they were showing shows that I absolutely hate, Stargate and Enterprise. It's one thing just not to watch the shows that you don't like, but every time you turn on the channel to be reminded of them........................................I think it's obvious that sooner or later, you're not going to go there anymore.
                          More problems with the commercials

It's like the channels which seem to be back to back, day to day, hour after hour, of some aspect of the L&O franchise (or the other crime show, multiple versions, franchises).
                          First mention of something that is content and not commercials

If a channel is all about certain shows one doesn't like, does it ever occur to them that they may be shooing away potential viewers?
                          Does it occur to you that they may be after a specific set of viewers, and that those shows are meant to draw those viewers. I mean, think about it, it's almost guaranteed that L&O/NCIS/CSI in all their variations get much more viewers than sci-fi shows.

I honestly don't know what the purpose of this thread was meant to be about, if it had nothing at all to do with the OP.....

Comment

Ah the joy of watching your shows online. For free.

Comment

To be honest, the only reason I have a TV is because the missus likes it. I prefer reading a book or talking with people.

Comment

Working...
                              X