PDA

View Full Version : Would a station's advertising compel you to kiss it good bye?

Tamara
24 Mar 14,, 07:45
I was talking with a co worker of why I don't watch the new Dr. Who and it basically comes down that the Sci Fi channel and I had a falling out a few years back.

What did it? Well, in part, it was their advertising. One aspect of it was where they were saying that this or that night's line up was the most important night on television......and they were saying it about every night. To me, that's like the Victoria Secret's commercial that ends "and you just got to be there!". Not really sure why, maybe because I am being told what to do and I don't like it, but that kind of advertising just grits my teeth.

But the other thing was that on every single commercial break they were showing shows that I absolutely hate, Stargate and Enterprise. It's one thing just not to watch the shows that you don't like, but every time you turn on the channel to be reminded of them........................................I think it's obvious that sooner or later, you're not going to go there anymore.

It's like the channels which seem to be back to back, day to day, hour after hour, of some aspect of the L&O franchise (or the other crime show, multiple versions, franchises).

I don't watch those channels any more, either.

If a channel is all about certain shows one doesn't like, does it ever occur to them that they may be shooing away potential viewers?

Doncha' think?

Doktor
24 Mar 14,, 07:55
It's eventual for every station.

MTV was first to go out of the window in the late 90's for me, Then one by one all the NG/Discovery family and latest was history.
CNN has deadline by Wednesday to either send Quest to find the plane or get their site blocked if they don't give up this saga. Prime source for news? Yeah, right.

Tamara
24 Mar 14,, 08:11
It's eventual for every station.

MTV was first to go out of the window in the late 90's for me, Then one by one all the NG/Discovery family and latest was history.
CNN has deadline by Wednesday to either send Quest to find the plane or get their site blocked if they don't give up this saga. Prime source for news? Yeah, right.

You will have to explain that last line. What or who is Quest? Get their site, what site, blocked? What saga are they spinning?

I really haven't been keeping up with the plane; just figure it is somewhere on Earth in many, many pieces.

Doktor
24 Mar 14,, 08:15
Quest is host on CNN. He is so intrusive, almost as Amanpour. You have a feeling all of a sudden the anchor will drop from the TV right in your room.

Their site, silly. They turned Malaysia's plane missing into soap opera, wonder if it is still breaking news (was few days ago).

Edit: It's still top on the page on #1 position. Thank you for reassuring me about my decision.

Tamara
24 Mar 14,, 08:29
Quest is host on CNN. He is so intrusive, almost as Amanpour. You have a feeling all of a sudden the anchor will drop from the TV right in your room.

Their site, silly. They turned Malaysia's plane missing into soap opera, wonder if it is still breaking news (was few days ago).

Well, if you say so................I don't know this Amanpour, either.

I don't watch news for entertainment. If they can't get to the point real quick, I'm gone.

I am not sure when the news channels started to lose me. I think I was gone by the time of the Gifford shooting though if I wasn't, then I was. With them doing anything to get viewers, they had more people rising from the dead than Baron Samedi!

Just somewhere along the line, I realized the American news wasn't saying anything useful about what they were talking about and there was a lot of stuff that they weren't talking about that they should.

Gun Grape
24 Mar 14,, 12:42
I was talking with a co worker of why I don't watch the new Dr. Who and it basically comes down that the Sci Fi channel and I had a falling out a few years back.

What does the sci-Fi channel have to do with you not watching the show?

Dr Who is on BBC America.

bigross86
24 Mar 14,, 13:16
If you ask me, you're making a mountain out of a molehill. Commercials are what's going to turn you off of a channel? Seriously?

You are aware of the fact that you have the ability to switch channels during the commercials, right? Or use Tivo and fast forward during the commercials.

To say that commercials turned you off of a product is one thing, but turning you off an entire channel? The lady doth protest too much, methinks.

Bigfella
24 Mar 14,, 13:23
I watch TV shows, not TV channels. Some channels have more shows I like than others. Some channels do news & current affairs more to my taste than others. Some channels import more good programs from overseas than others. I can't imagine ever boycotting a whole channel simply because I didn't like the ads.

Tamara
24 Mar 14,, 13:46
What does the sci-Fi channel have to do with you not watching the show?

Dr Who is on BBC America.

I don't get BBC America.

Besides, I'm more of a classic Dr. Who fan.

If you ask me, you're making a mountain out of a molehill. Commercials are what's going to turn you off of a channel? Seriously?

You are aware of the fact that you have the ability to switch channels during the commercials, right? Or use Tivo and fast forward during the commercials.

To say that commercials turned you off of a product is one thing, but turning you off an entire channel? The lady doth protest too much, methinks.

It wasn't just the commercials ALTHOUGH I think that was a very big part of it.

As I said, shows that I despise were constantly in my face, at every commercial break. It's not I could avoid the show by not watching it because it was there wherever I turned on that channel. I don't know if they were advertising Stargate and Enterprise on the screen while other shows were being shown, but I wouldn't be surprised.

Basically, if you are going to treat me that I MUST watch that show, then I am not going to be treated that way. I will take my viewing and any dollars you might get out of me, someplace else.

I don't have TIVO.

But as I said, it wasn't just that. It was also being tired of being jerked around by the station. They got me hooked on watching the encore of Battlestar Galactica and then at the season end episode, they didn't show it. No warning, it just wasn't there.

And it was going more and more to original programming and less and less of the past.

Sci Fi Channel, to me, went big business. In the 90's, it had the feel of a college sci fi club, but at the turn of the century, that disappeared. It didn't feel familiar anymore.

Add to it that so much of what they were showing was CRAP, (no LEXX, no Adventures of Jules Verne, no Tech Wars), it came down to

Insulted, pissed off, not interested anymore, Good Bye!

Doktor
24 Mar 14,, 13:58
I watch TV shows, not TV channels. Some channels have more shows I like than others. Some channels do news & current affairs more to my taste than others. Some channels import more good programs from overseas than others. I can't imagine ever boycotting a whole channel simply because I didn't like the ads.

I wouldn't do it for the ads only. but come here watch your TV show, commercials start, you go to lunch, take a shower, come back and still have 5 minutes of ads. Then you wonder what was that thing you were watching ;)

bigross86
24 Mar 14,, 14:04
So lemme see if I get this straight:

You were upset that the channel was advertising shows you didn't like, showing you snippets and thereby "forcing" you to interact with those shows (which says something for your willpower). So you decided, like any rational adult would, to avoid even watching the shows you DID want to see, because of some commercials that you can tune out, use to go to the bathroom, mute, grab something to drink, etc....

Yeah, boycotting the channel is really the smart move here.

Then there's the argument that you feel they went big business. Understandable, makes perfect sense. But that has jack squat to do with the commercials.

So, did you A) leave because of the commercials, which means you're acting like any spoiled kindergartener would, and as soon as even the slightest thing doesn't go your way you immediately throw a fit, or B) leave because the channel changed its style, in which case, why in the world are you whingeing about commercials?!

Tamara
24 Mar 14,, 14:12
I left because the jerking around of the schedule, with the BSG encore, was the last straw.

As I recall from back then, there was a day when Sci Fi Channel was running 24 hours of L&O: SVU (another show I despise).....to say nothing about the Tuesday night wrestling. So they were building up a case against them.

As far as the commercials go, when the entertainment value drops, so does the willingness to put up with the discomfort.

bigross86
24 Mar 14,, 14:28
I'm sorry, 90% of your OP is rubbish then.

What did it? Well, in part, it was their advertising. One aspect of it was where they were saying that this or that night's line up was the most important night on television......and they were saying it about every night. To me, that's like the Victoria Secret's commercial that ends "and you just got to be there!". Not really sure why, maybe because I am being told what to do and I don't like it, but that kind of advertising just grits my teeth.

So you have a problem with the advertising

But the other thing was that on every single commercial break they were showing shows that I absolutely hate, Stargate and Enterprise. It's one thing just not to watch the shows that you don't like, but every time you turn on the channel to be reminded of them........................................I think it's obvious that sooner or later, you're not going to go there anymore.

More problems with the commercials

It's like the channels which seem to be back to back, day to day, hour after hour, of some aspect of the L&O franchise (or the other crime show, multiple versions, franchises).

First mention of something that is content and not commercials

If a channel is all about certain shows one doesn't like, does it ever occur to them that they may be shooing away potential viewers?

Does it occur to you that they may be after a specific set of viewers, and that those shows are meant to draw those viewers. I mean, think about it, it's almost guaranteed that L&O/NCIS/CSI in all their variations get much more viewers than sci-fi shows.

I honestly don't know what the purpose of this thread was meant to be about, if it had nothing at all to do with the OP.....

Doktor
24 Mar 14,, 14:32
Ah the joy of watching your shows online. For free.

bigross86
24 Mar 14,, 14:34
To be honest, the only reason I have a TV is because the missus likes it. I prefer reading a book or talking with people.

Tamara
24 Mar 14,, 14:41
To be honest, the only reason I have a TV is because the missus likes it. I prefer reading a book or talking with people.

I have TV's to watch tapes and DVDs. I hardly watch any programming.

I must have given the sales girl, for Direct TV or something, a spin for a second when she approached me as I was looking at flat screen units and told her I was not interested because I don't watch TV.

Ah the joy of watching your shows online. For free.

I use to do that, such as with La Femme Nikita.

Then the free shows disappeared, so I bought the DVDs.

Now, it may be that someone out there does have the shows for free on the Net.......but in my conscious, that isn't right. People made those shows to make money and they should be paid for their work.

So I put out money to have those things in my library.

Just saying..............

bigross86
24 Mar 14,, 14:47
A) Free shows have not disappeared.

B) How is streaming online any different than recording your favorite show or a game because you were out and couldn't watch when it was on?

Netflix can get you nearly every single show you would ever want to watch, for next to nothing a month. How much do you think the shows are actually making from Netflix?

Tamara
24 Mar 14,, 14:59
Can Netflix get me "La Maxima Felicidad"?

Granted, that's not a show, it's a movie, but so far, I have not come across a source for it yet.

Further, for about a half a dozen reasons, I don't stream, I don't rent. I want to own it and I want it in my hot little hand.

After all, we know that Netflix isn't perfect (http://starcasm.net/archives/256544).

.....How much do you think the shows are actually making from Netflix?

That is immaterial. What matters is that I have bought a proper consumer copy; I have not pirated (not saying that is done here) what I have.

Doktor
24 Mar 14,, 15:19

The only reason I have a TV is to play console games with my son.

DarthSiddius
24 Mar 14,, 19:47
Can Netflix get me "La Maxima Felicidad"?

Granted, that's not a show, it's a movie, but so far, I have not come across a source for it yet.

Further, for about a half a dozen reasons, I don't stream, I don't rent. I want to own it and I want it in my hot little hand.

After all, we know that Netflix isn't perfect (http://starcasm.net/archives/256544).

That is immaterial. What matters is that I have bought a proper consumer copy; I have not pirated (not saying that is done here) what I have.

Think of Netflix as cable, you don't own the content shown on cable either. But with netflix you get to choose what you want at the time you want to watch it. It's just better service IMO.

Tamara
25 Mar 14,, 08:29
Think of Netflix as cable, you don't own the content shown on cable either. But with netflix you get to choose what you want at the time you want to watch it. It's just better service IMO.

No, you don't.

You get to pick of what they have available in the version they have available (does their Flash Gordon (Sam Jones) have Dale taking out the guard with gymnastics, the Klytus nap scene?).

But if you want "True Grit", you are out of luck because as that link-list above shows, they no longer carry it.

In the world of viewing, I'm not going to accept what they offer; I'm going to have what I want.

Doktor
25 Mar 14,, 09:10
Tamara, I can understand your I am the customer and therefor I am right attitude.

Understand it, not support it. Even in your local video store you don't have ALL the titles you ever wanted.

Tamara
25 Mar 14,, 09:45
Tamara, I can understand your I am the customer and therefor I am right attitude.

Understand it, not support it. Even in your local video store you don't have ALL the titles you ever wanted.

Well, I don't go to my local video anymore to rent, only to buy......which is its own interesting story.

Once upon a time, videos were on tape and they were presented to you in the store like this:

(okay, for some reason, my pics aren't showing up so I will explain. You got to see the movie poster facing out).

where you could browse, see on a glance faces of your favorite stars, be drawn into a flick because the pictures looked interesting........even if the image was not entirely representative of the movie like

("From Dusk to Dawn")
(I knew nothing of the flick, I picked it up as an ultra violent shoot them up, so when it went the way it did, I was totally surprised).

But then, DVD's came along and in order to make more room for the DVD's, the tapes on the shelves became like this:

(where they turned them spine out)
As such, in order to find a flick you wanted, you either had to know what you were looking for or pull each and every one off the shelf to look at the cover.

What was once a fun time browsing and foraging became an actual labor.

Now, of course, the new releases were still shown cover out
(a full wall of DVD's face out, many copies, but not so many titles)
but to look for B movies, you had to search.

Eventually, of course, the VHS went away but it seemed that the lesson had been learned. Display more of what you have by turning them spine out.

And eventually, what was once a celebration to greet the weekend, just became too much of a hassle to do, so it was stopped.

So now I look and buy.

Granted, somethings are not out there because they haven't been produced yet. I waited forever for "Innocent Bystanders" and when it was finally released, bought it up.

And some things that are out there aren't worth the price (http://www.amazon.com/STRANGER-1973-sci-fi-tv-movie-Stranded/dp/B0012YQ5HK/ref=sr_1_1?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1395733184&sr=1-1&keywords=the+stranger+1973) that some people think.

DarthSiddius
25 Mar 14,, 16:18
No, you don't.

You get to pick of what they have available in the version they have available (does their Flash Gordon (Sam Jones) have Dale taking out the guard with gymnastics, the Klytus nap scene?).

But if you want "True Grit", you are out of luck because as that link-list above shows, they no longer carry it.

In the world of viewing, I'm not going to accept what they offer; I'm going to have what I want.

The bold part is true for cable as well, in fact cable is even more limited by the fact that you don't have a choice at all. You see what they show you. And I haven't even mentioned advertising yet. Your point being? Why the hate for Netflix?

If Netflix doesn't carry all the content under the sun doesn't mean it is an inferior service. It's still better than being fed whatever a network exec wants me to see.

bolo121
25 Mar 14,, 16:43
Much ado about nothing.
Just do what I do, get a good VPN+Roku
Heck even a free proxy plugin for your browser works if you only want BBC iPlayer

Tamara
25 Mar 14,, 16:57
The bold part is true for cable as well, in fact cable is even more limited by the fact that you don't have a choice at all. You see what they show you. And I haven't even mentioned advertising yet. Your point being? Why the hate for Netflix?

If Netflix doesn't carry all the content under the sun doesn't mean it is an inferior service. It's still better than being fed whatever a network exec wants me to see.

If it works for you, I'm glad.

I'm just tired of trusting some exec somewhere deciding what he's going to keep in his library for me to watch.

So instead, I build my own library. I put my money into having a library, not into having a service provide me with one.

As far as the commercials go, what if at every commercial break, they showed some political leader and said how great he was, gave you the spiel that you really have to like him, showed his face in the bottom portion of the show each and every time the show being watched started back up. Would you stay around for that?

If not, then you might then understand what I was going through each and every time they were advertising shows that not only I do not like but I absolutely HATE. Given the other factors with the channel, I finally decided not to put up with it.

When one has to work at it to enjoy what they are showing, it's no longer fun. Hence, I don't go to the movie theater that much anymore because it has become too much work to try to enjoy a movie.

DarthSiddius
25 Mar 14,, 17:12
If it works for you, I'm glad.

I'm just tired of trusting some exec somewhere deciding what he's going to keep in his library for me to watch.

So instead, I build my own library. I put my money into having a library, not into having a service provide me with one.

As far as the commercials go, what if at every commercial break, they showed some political leader and said how great he was, gave you the spiel that you really have to like him, showed his face in the bottom portion of the show each and every time the show being watched started back up. Would you stay around for that?

If not, then you might then understand what I was going through each and every time they were advertising shows that not only I do not like but I absolutely HATE. Given the other factors with the channel, I finally decided not to put up with it.

When one has to work at it to enjoy what they are showing, it's no longer fun. Hence, I don't go to the movie theater that much anymore because it has become too much work to try to enjoy a movie.

Why not have your own library and have netflix as well? If something is not on Netflix, you can always buy it. For $8 a month you get a substantial amount of movies and TV shows, and this is without advertisements and other irritants inherent with cable.

Trust me I'm not a Netflix sales guy LOL!

DarthSiddius
25 Mar 14,, 17:14
Much ado about nothing.
Just do what I do, get a good VPN+Roku
Heck even a free proxy plugin for your browser works if you only want BBC iPlayer

If you don't mind me asking, how much does this setup cost you? Should be cheaper than cable I believe.

tuna
25 Mar 14,, 17:15
I try to steer clear of some of the "children's channels" due to the advertising.
Nickeloden and ABC Family both have commercials that I deem to be inappropriate for my 5 year old daughter, mostly concerning TV shows.

I started checking the commercials more once I noticed adult phone line commercials on Spike TVs airing of "Spaceballs". My kids like Star Wars, and I figured Spaceballs was safe, Mel Brooks humor is a little more thought intensive, so the adult themes fly past kids. In Spike's defense, the show was aired at 0100, so it should have been kid proof - I just DVR'd it.
The family channels, however, show their commercials during show meant for children, which pisses me off.

tuna
25 Mar 14,, 17:18
What the heck is the deal with Clooney's revolver? Are the rear sights in front?

bolo121
25 Mar 14,, 17:25
If you don't mind me asking, how much does this setup cost you? Should be cheaper than cable I believe.

This is the costing for friends of mine who are in the US.
Roku is a one time cost of 100USD. A good proxy or vpn would be around $10 a month.

TopHatter
25 Mar 14,, 18:04
My $0.02

I have a nice TV and Blu-Ray player with speakers etc. It's currently hooked up to nothing at all, no cable, no satellite, not even an antenna.
There is basically nothing on TV that I care to watch that I can't get online at no charge, commercial-free. Certainly there is nothing that I want to pay so much as a dime for.

The commercials alone are enough to make me eat a gun. The programming is usually even worse. "Reality" TV at every f--king turn, even on formerly great channels like History, Discovery and Learning.

Having worked for the cable industry for 5 years, I saw how much money people threw away for absolute crap. No thank you. I'll keep my money and my sanity.

Granted, if somebody removed my high-speed internet, I would probably have a full-on meltdown and crawl into a corner and start crying :redface:

JAD_333
25 Mar 14,, 18:17
Joe:

I share your sentiments on all counts.

Reality TV, like the Housewives of ______ is totally inane to me and I believe destructive of young minds. It does, however, make a statement about the tastes of a sizable portion of the population, if you want to know that.

I have Direct TV, cheapest plan. That gets me a decent lineup of news and entertainment, but I'd love to cut the cord, and will one of these days. Broadcast is still out there and, like you say, there's internet streaming.

Tamara
25 Mar 14,, 18:38
Why not have your own library and have netflix as well? If something is not on Netflix, you can always buy it. For $8 a month you get a substantial amount of movies and TV shows, and this is without advertisements and other irritants inherent with cable.

Trust me I'm not a Netflix sales guy LOL!

A and B

A: Because I have learned it is better to have it in my hot little hand than in the cloud. Isn't that what they teach us? That bird in the hand is better than two in the bush?

B: Because I put a lot of effort into foraging acquiring. Why should I put money into renting when I am not into that anymore? When my life is not on a regular schedule and it may be months before I see anything?

..............and then C. So much of what I watch these days comes from the 20th century; I hardly watch anything from the 21st century. I am not going to watch what others think so much that people want. This comes down to why I have such low opinions of Stargate: IT'S BORING! of Enterprise; DON'T REWRITE THE HISTORY I GREW UP IN; of L&O: SVU: it's reprograming of the country where police brutality is accepted, some criminal victims are more special than others, civilians shouldn't own guns, it's okay for police to carry emotions around on their cuffs, and let's have it for selling sex violence as entertainment.

I don't accept this! I can't do much to change this course of things, but at the very least, you won't do it with my dollar (or much of it; situations require that I still must have cable).

Stitch
25 Mar 14,, 20:02
Which is EXACTLY why I stick with NPR/PBS . . . . . . . .

NPR : National Public Radio : News & Analysis, World, US, Music & Arts : NPR (http://www.npr.org/)

DarthSiddius
25 Mar 14,, 20:39
A and B

A: Because I have learned it is better to have it in my hot little hand than in the cloud. Isn't that what they teach us? That bird in the hand is better than two in the bush?

B: Because I put a lot of effort into foraging acquiring. Why should I put money into renting when I am not into that anymore? When my life is not on a regular schedule and it may be months before I see anything?

..............and then C. So much of what I watch these days comes from the 20th century; I hardly watch anything from the 21st century. I am not going to watch what others think so much that people want. This comes down to why I have such low opinions of Stargate: IT'S BORING! of Enterprise; DON'T REWRITE THE HISTORY I GREW UP IN; of L&O: SVU: it's reprograming of the country where police brutality is accepted, some criminal victims are more special than others, civilians shouldn't own guns, it's okay for police to carry emotions around on their cuffs, and let's have it for selling sex violence as entertainment.

I don't accept this! I can't do much to change this course of things, but at the very least, you won't do it with my dollar (or much of it; situations require that I still must have cable).

Different strokes for different folks I guess. For me it's more about accessibility and convenience than ownership. And I don't mind the sex and violence - if done tastefully. I respect your opinion though!

Gun Grape
26 Mar 14,, 01:57

So thats when I would make a head call,go to the kitchen and make a sammich,get a tasty adult beverage, scratch, ect..

I pretty much ignore a commercials (except for the hot Carl Jr/Hardees ones)

Albany Rifles
26 Mar 14,, 02:59
I like the Bud Clydesdales and the This Is SportsCenter ones.

Tamara
26 Mar 14,, 08:21
I like the Bud Clydesdales and the This Is SportsCenter ones.

Well, I have a different argument with ESPN and these days, only watch them when I am eating Chinese buffet......because I don't want to face the other screen and see the "news".

Long story short, I expect ESPN to show me sports, 24 hours a day. Somewhere in the world, there must be something going on. I don't care if it's the Bungee Jumping Finals in "Tahiti", ie, this
landdiving1.jpg (http://content.artofmanliness.com/uploads/2010/02/landdiving1.jpg)
show me sports, not talking heads.

This is what I grew up with for what was suppose to be sports coverage:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3QLwuYr2f4

The other thing is the insistence that everything today be Terminator fashion. Showing me scores from other places, showing me stats on the players, even showing me the direction and how far to First and Ten.

To me, throwing all this data up on the screen ruins the enjoyment of watching the sport........so I don't watch anymore.

So thats when I would make a head call,go to the kitchen and make a sammich,get a tasty adult beverage, scratch, ect..

I pretty much ignore a commercials (except for the hot Carl Jr/Hardees ones)

And when the show starts back up and they run such advertising at the bottom of the screen, would you still sit around for that?

Let's face it, people have been dodging commercials for years, so they, the station powers that be, have worked at least three ways around that. One is doing a little advertising as the show runs, shrink the screen, have the little man show up, and promote something, like an auto race. As my mother noted at the time, she thought the little man was part of the show.

Secondly, they run video advertising during the closing credits of the show.

Third, though I haven't seen this much, when one of the stations was running the old Mission: Impossible to, I suppose, promote the opening of the movie, they took the last 5-10 minutes of the suspenseful conclusion (t'was "The Missile"), show a few seconds of it, cut to commercial, come back for a few seconds, cut to commercial, etc, etc, etc. All the commercials that were suppose to be in between shows were spliced into the suspenseful part, so if one was in the habit of taking off during the commercial, they were bound to miss something of the show.

Like any politician, it seems they know ways to defeat one from skipping the commercials.....if they stay around to watch the show, that is.

bonehead
26 Mar 14,, 08:35
My $0.02

I have a nice TV and Blu-Ray player with speakers etc. It's currently hooked up to nothing at all, no cable, no satellite, not even an antenna.
There is basically nothing on TV that I care to watch that I can't get online at no charge, commercial-free. Certainly there is nothing that I want to pay so much as a dime for.

The commercials alone are enough to make me eat a gun. The programming is usually even worse. "Reality" TV at every f--king turn, even on formerly great channels like History, Discovery and Learning.

Having worked for the cable industry for 5 years, I saw how much money people threw away for absolute crap. No thank you. I'll keep my money and my sanity.

Granted, if somebody removed my high-speed internet, I would probably have a full-on meltdown and crawl into a corner and start crying :redface:

Wow. Except for the, working for the cable company, I think I found my long lost twin brother. I will confess that every so often I go to youtube and watch select commercials.

Tamara
26 Mar 14,, 09:24
My $0.02

As things go, my slavery to TV is pretty much over. My primary TV's cable hook up to the wall was disconnected by the cats months, maybe even more than a year ago, and I haven't bothered to rehook it up. Why? There are only 5 channels I am ever interested in watching...TCM, Telemundo, Galavision, Univision, and UniMas. I don't speak Spanish but have listened to it enough so I hear individual words. Further, I am getting hooked on their 60's-80's movies, have ordered at least 4 off of Amazon, "Los Heroes del Norte" (http://guiatvweb.files.wordpress.com/2013/04/heroes.jpg)and their morning shows. So for those reasons and a few other very minor ones, I am not likely to give up my cable despite how little of it I am actually watching.

If DirectTV or someone else could give me foreign channels from around the world, such as French and Arabic (I do "know" those languages), then they might be able to sign me up......but, of course, they can't.

Besides, just as commercials may drive one away, so might commercials like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPH-_6CsZ6Y
Allstate Mala Suerte "Bread" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPH-_6CsZ6Y)
entice one to watch.

But here again, it can go both ways. I will look up and watch All State's Mala Suerte (Bad Luck) but Mayhem absolutely turns my tummy and I would turn him off.

I have 4 TV's and they are all linked up to multiple units such as VCR, DVR, DVP, and even a turn table.

As things go, I very rarely plug the computer into a TV. Long story short, my equipment is oriented to using tapes and disks. For what I want to watch, it's on that media.

Now as to why I'm leaned that way, that's debatable. It might be my EW background, tied into my personalty, where I prefer to be submerged from the world and "operating off procedures and instructions stored in on board computers".......................but I suspect that it is more that I've found what an economical killing it is to be able to use the cast off media of the world that is often so cheap on the buck!

Not always, mind you, but often.

Additional: SIGH, had to turn the channel on tonight's Telemundo movie. "El Oficio Más Antiguo del Mundo" (The World's Oldest Profession) 1970. Prostitutes coming back to the House from a date find a wounded man outside, take him in, and nurse him back to health. (that's my description having seen the movie here at work 4-5 times)

The catch is, I'm no longer the only one in this building now on the night shift and having a 70's movie about prostitutes, even if it is bland by today's standards, showing in this fish bowl type room, is probably not a good notion.

Oh, well. But it occurs to me that I ought to generate a list of these titles and go (back) to my local video store and check their selection, their bargain bins.

Doktor
26 Mar 14,, 09:54
My $0.02

No gaming console or HDMI from the PC?

Sometimes, try NFS on that 50" TV.

If only the internet came trough other sources.

Remember that joke about the student who didn't have internet for 3 hours? He cleaned the room, learned for two exams, ate the whole lunch, and had a shower. Twice ;)

Tamara
26 Mar 14,, 10:37
No gaming console or HDMI from the PC?

Sometimes, try NFS on that 50" TV.

Ohhhhhhh, I've tried that with "Anaksha: Female Assassin" and UT2004. I know I've missed shots with the former and I think with the latter as well.

It's funny in that when I was buying my 42 inch LED TV, I was thinking of using it like that.....or even certain videos off the Net.................and it just didn't turn out that great.

If only the internet came trough other sources........

It may have to for me. One of the things out at the ranch is that communications are sparse. No bars on the cell phone. No cable. I think there is a land line.

I may have to do satellite internet............or maybe, even learn to do without (which would support the library option).

lemontree
26 Mar 14,, 12:32
Well, if you say so................I don't know this Amanpour, either.

Christiane Amanpour is one of the most famous female reporters of CNN.

sated buddha
26 Mar 14,, 12:50
In India cable TV is controlled and run by the underworld. With full on turf gang wars and regular bloodletting. Sometime one just decides its not worth the hassle and potential aggravation to shift to dish.

Tamara
26 Mar 14,, 13:24
Christiane Amanpour is one of the most famous female reporters of CNN.

Well, if you say so.

As it is, if I want to be informed by TV news, I watch Spanish. They tend to be at least a day ahead than the American news.....if the latter even mentions it at all.

As I said, I can't speak it nor understand the spoken, yet, beyond being able to hear individual words, but I can read enough so if the story looks interesting, I can go search it up on the Net.

And if I really want to get in depth to what is going on in the world, then I go to the Brazil-Arab News Agency (http://www2.anba.com.br/).

Real Bummer, huh? That American news has degraded so far that I have to go to such extremes to learn what is going on in the world.

Stitch
26 Mar 14,, 21:34
Well, if you say so.

As it is, if I want to be informed by TV news, I watch Spanish. They tend to be at least a day ahead than the American news.....if the latter even mentions it at all.

As I said, I can't speak it nor understand the spoken, yet, beyond being able to hear individual words, but I can read enough so if the story looks interesting, I can go search it up on the Net.

And if I really want to get in depth to what is going on in the world, then I go to the Brazil-Arab News Agency (http://www2.anba.com.br/).

Real Bummer, huh? That American news has degraded so far that I have to go to such extremes to learn what is going on in the world.

I'm flashing back to the Don Henley song Dirty Laundry:

"Well, I could've been an actor but I wound up here
I just have to look good, I don't have to be clear

We got the bubble headed bleach blonde who comes on at five
She can tell you 'bout the plane crash with a gleam in her eye
It's interesting when people die, give us dirty laundry

You don't really need to find out what's goin' on
You don't really want to know just how far it's gone
Just leave well enough alone, eat your dirty laundry

We can do "The Innuendo," we can dance and sing
When it's said and done we haven't told you a thing
We all know that crap is king, give us dirty laundry"

Tamara
27 Mar 14,, 08:30
I'm flashing back to the Don Henley song Dirty Laundry:

"Well, I could've been an actor but I wound up here
I just have to look good, I don't have to be clear

Reminds me of the spiel I worked up for TV/Film class newscasting (but it wasn't use) which was then rechanneled (no puns intended) into Improv. (I made it up a few years ago, so it is a little bit dated)

"W P R X! The Grand Prix of News! Give us a minute and we'll take you around the world! Washington, the President signed a trade agreement. Los Angels, the ground shook. Mexico City, people were arrested, lined up, and shot! Lima, Peru, the finance minister plummeted. London, the Queen was displeased. Paris, Carla Bruni opened a fashion show. Moscow, Putin made a point! Monrovia, a new ship was launched. Cape Town, two ULCC's met. Alang, the Sea of Capri Princess made a port visit. Tokyo, Japanese Finance Minister Yoki Yakamoto announced that the yen would be devalued by 5000%. Perth, kangaroos attacked an elementary school. And off of Antarctica, a cruise ship sank!

W P R X! The Grand Prix of News! Give up a minute and we'll take you for a ride around the world!"