PDA

View Full Version : Rip

YellowFever
21 Mar 14,, 16:49
Fred Phelps' death may mean end of Westboro church (http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2014/03/20/westboro-church-fred-phelps-gay-controversy/6664703/)

See ya, buddy!

Next time when I'm anywhere near your grave, I'll make sure to leave a beer on your tombstone.....after it passes through my kidneys so you can Rest In Piss.

:Dancing-Banana:

SteveDaPirate
21 Mar 14,, 17:06
"There once was a Reverend named Fred,
whose sermons would fill us with dread.
He hated the gays,
but now we'll give praise,
'cause that motherf*cker is dead."

bigross86
22 Mar 14,, 20:56

bigross86
22 Mar 14,, 20:59
WESTBORO BAPTIST CHURCH ASKS PUBLIC NOT TO PICKET PHELPS FUNERAL (http://www.codewit.com/nigeria-news/17415-westboro-baptist-church-asks-public-not-to-picket-phelps-funeral)

WESTBORO BAPTIST CHURCH ASKS PUBLIC NOT TO PICKET PHELPS FUNERAL
Published: Friday, 21 March 2014 21:21 Written by Agency Reporter

The controversial Westboro Baptist Church has asked the public not to picket the funeral of its founder, Pastor Fred Phelps, who died this week at 84,and "have a little decency and respect" for his family and friends.

In a statement posted on its website, the Topeka, Kan.-based church – home to America’s most hated family – claimed members of the public have threatened to protest Phelps’ funeral just as the church protested the funerals of others.

“This is a very difficult time for us,” the statement reads, “so we ask that the public have a little decency and respect by allowing us to mourn a great man who served God and tried to protect America from the threat of fags and perverts (i.e. gays and U.S. soldiers).”

The outspoken Pastor Fred Phelps, a former civil rights attorney, headed the Westboro Baptist Church since 1955, breaking away from mainstream Baptist churches to espouse his bigoted interpretations of the Bible.

The church has attracted widespread controversy for espousing homophobic rhetoric and for protesting at the funerals of U.S. soldiers killed in Iraq and Afghanistan. Church members typically carry inflammatory signs and claim the deaths are God’s punishment for the United States’ tolerance of homosexuality.

The 40-member church, primarily consisting of Phelps' family members, has also protested the funerals of celebrities, public officials and murder victims, including victims of the Sandy Hook Elementary shootings, Apple founder Steve Jobs and murdered gay student Matthew Shepard.

Shirley Phelps-Roper, a church spokeswoman and Phelps’ daughter, said she was concerned people outside the church would try to picket the funeral service.

bonehead
23 Mar 14,, 07:31
Hmmm. Give them a taste of what they have been dishing out or take the high road and ignore Phelps ever existed.

JAD_333
23 Mar 14,, 07:55
Hmmm. Give them a taste of what they have been dishing out or take the high road and ignore Phelps ever existed.

We didn't like his style; we won't play his game. Option 2 looks good to me.

Red Team
23 Mar 14,, 08:25
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnuGC3reAkc

Metaphorically relevant.

Bigfella
23 Mar 14,, 10:30
WESTBORO BAPTIST CHURCH ASKS PUBLIC NOT TO PICKET PHELPS FUNERAL (http://www.codewit.com/nigeria-news/17415-westboro-baptist-church-asks-public-not-to-picket-phelps-funeral)

Oh fuck that!

If I had lived in America there is a chance these scum would have picketed the funeral of an immediate family member. Screw standards and high roads. His family is as deeply involved in this as him. They deserve no more respect than he did. If I could make it I'd be there with a very bluntly worded poster.

On another tack, I wonder just how much attention this would be getting if he had stuck to picketing the funerals of gay men and AIDS victims. It is easy to forget that when he started this back in the late 80s his views weren't that different from those a lot of people held privately. Ironically I suspect his shift to picketing military funerals in order to get attention backfired. In spreading his message I believe he actually made a small contribution to making anti-fay prejudice less acceptable. I'm glad that his passing is drawing such widespread comment, I'm just sad that it probably took him hurting people beyond the friends and families of gay men and AIDS victims to do it.