PDA

View Full Version : When will I learn..not to engage a conspiracy boss in talk, especially at day's end?

Tamara
19 Mar 14,, 05:35
Did that today. He asked me what I thought about the Ukraine and I told him that I didn't care about that, didn't care about the airliner (bad, BAD MISTAKE) and about the only thing that really had me concerned was the 2014 elections.

So then I get to listen to his theories of what happened to the airliner, not biting my tongue enough about that, and then I get "motivated" to stay around and talk a little bit about Texas politics.

And it gets worse than that in that I didn't put any of my shields up to buffer me from this conversation.

Then I change the subject a little bit to mention something about work procedures and he starts telling me to do something which is 180 from what we have been doing. My BP starts to shoot up, but he backed down in situational frustration.

I try to sooth the waters by offering some classical sci fi loaning to which he counters with the current stuff that is out there on Netflix. That in itself is not an attack but it is quite different from the way I do things. It's sort of like if you are a dedicated Jack Williamson reader and someone says you should watch Battlestar Galactica off the Net.

So I leave work, trying to soothe raised tensions, watch someone go the wrong way on a one way street, blatantly ignore the no left turn sign (which had they followed the one way street, it would have given them a left turn on that road) to then get caught up with how two construction projects have really made a mess of my journey home.

So by the time I got to my place, I was tense, I was upset, and a little bit pushy and mean. Didn't take it out on the pets, of course, but declared the day over with two shots of scotch.

I said in the smartphone post how Net addiction could make me come home, ready to get back on the Net, put needed to be done things aside. Well, so can end of the shift tensions.

And I'm aware that these things can happen, that my boss can come in and dash ready to get off work ambitions to pieces with his negativism, his conspiracy beliefs.

So let's review the lessons I should know already.

If he starts talking about world affairs, SHIELDS UP. Don't let his words touch my core, don't engage, bite my tongue, think pleasant thoughts, and if I say anything, let it be one of those idiotic, clueless, diffusing, pleasing to me, Flirts that I'm known for.

Don't talk about work things if you aren't required to, you don't need to. Just be the blissful mushroom in that you come to work, you do your job, you go elsewhere.

And for those idiots on the road, just say, "Well, if it's that important to you, go ahead.".

sated buddha
19 Mar 14,, 08:39
I am pretty clear about my views on politics, religion, social issues, as well as world issues around my immediate bosses. Sometimes when people know you are a moohfatt (strongly opinionated, and not afraid of voicing his opinions regardless of audience, consequences, etc.) people eventually learn to back off and leave you alone. It has its pluses as well as minuses. But I would be too misearable trying to be what I am not, so I'll take the pluses, and live with the minuses. Can't always win.

Tamara
19 Mar 14,, 10:02
How to say what I am about to say in the fewest words....so I don't get worked up about it, don't picture doing an argument that I know I can't win.

When it comes to crime, especially terrorism, there are so many around who believe they have all the answers and often, those are the people without any of the background. So in my case, my boss is the former, and I'm the one with the background and trying to correct his notions is not worth the energy it would involve because there is no way to get him to change.

As far as politics go, well, probably no one knows where I stand because I'm often making minute decisions for tactical reasons. Ie, I voted for Nader in 2000 because it was a non serious time under the belief that the system needed a deadlock to slow things down for a while but who I voted for in 2004 was based on who I thought had the best chance to win to accomplish particular needs. That is, in 2004, it was not about belief in the theoretical system but the one chance, my vote, to make necessary changes.

Long story short, I am not committed to one side or the other.

sated buddha
19 Mar 14,, 10:08
Long story short, I am not committed to one side or the other.

Its easier keeping quiet, disengaging or backing off in such a case.

Me. I don't tolerate fools easy. There's also the little bit about the testosterone and quickly sizing up any other alpha in the area.

Also, I tend to do better with male bosses. Have never had a good experience with any female in a situation of authority or hierrarchial superiority. Don't get me wrong. I love women. Just having them on top doesn't seem to work for me.

Doktor
19 Mar 14,, 10:11
I troll the CT enthusiasts.

Yes, I am a bad person.

Tamara
19 Mar 14,, 10:14
Its easier keeping quiet, disengaging or backing off in such a case.

Me. I don't tolerate fools easy. There's also the little bit about the testosterone and quickly sizing up any other alpha in the area.

I avoid fighting because I've progressed too far in my skills. If I have to fight someone, it's to take them out so I can get out of there and that probably means I am putting them in the hospital......it is up to the Fates as to which floor.

"REALLY?".....hopefully, I will never have to find out. It is what I absolutely believe if it comes to blows.

I troll the CT enthusiasts.

Yes, I am a bad person.

CT? Counter Terrorist or Corps (Aggieland) Turd?

As to the former, I could argue with them till I was blue in the face but to what avail?

BESIDES, there is another large problem to why I shouldn't talk to such people. I know too much about what really goes on in that world and I might say something that I shouldn't.

I remember once I was at a diving conference/trade show and a local police dive team was doing a presentation. They asked for input from the audience about what they thought police divers did and me being the younger, somewhat arrogant, know it all, mentioned one activity.......which caught them short and a comment of "well, that's something we really don't tell the public about".

Not a cop, haven't been one for decades, mind you.

sated buddha
19 Mar 14,, 10:17
I avoid fighting because I've progressed too far in my skills. If I have to fight someone, it's to take them out so I can get out of there and that probably means I am putting them in the hospital......it is up to the Fates as to which floor.

"REALLY?".....hopefully, I will never have to find out. It is what I absolutely believe if it comes to blows.

That must be one tough office you work in lady. Here in the corporate sector its all words, and sometimes verbose nasty emails or IOCs. I never socialize with office crowd after ofice hours except for the occasional party. There are more important things in life.

Doktor
19 Mar 14,, 10:35
CT = Conspiracy Theory.

I like to tease them till they get blue in the face. The smile all along, we are buddies high five and then go home.

However, it takes training and a lot of self control not to be dragged and led by their 'arguments'.
My favorite ones are Moon landing and recently the White stripes behind the planes.

Tamara
19 Mar 14,, 10:44
That must be one tough office you work in lady. Here in the corporate sector its all words, and sometimes verbose nasty emails or IOCs. I never socialize with office crowd after ofice hours except for the occasional party. There are more important things in life.

It's not this office, not really.

It's just things I've done in the past, other people I work, associate with that incur possibilities that things have progressed to such an "attitude".

It all sounds so mysterious, I know. My own brother has said he wouldn't be surprised if he found out I worked for INTERPOL or someone like that. But let me see if I can briefly explain so I don't sound like Jane Bond. I'm, now, a professional diver. A and B.

A: Diving is a small industry. Who/what trained you is probably known if they are good or bad. Me, I was trained by one of the GODS of the industry. As such, the store I work for can be a source of professional trained diving manpower for people, agencies, if they want to go that direction. They may not come to us, as time goes on, they may develop their own capability, but I can be in that information circle if it were meant to be.

B: We are all encouraged to have our CHL's. One of the reasons why is if someone wanted to include us in on something, like recovering body search and salvage or a Fed stops by and says, "How do you know that all your people are not the enemy", the boss can say we've all had background checks. Of course, CHL BG checks are just one kind, there are many, but it is a start.

It's not just diving. For example, from time to time, I do security research for people.

But here and there, I pick up things.

Tamara
19 Mar 14,, 10:47
CT = Conspiracy Theory.

I like to tease them till they get blue in the face. The smile all along, we are buddies high five and then go home.

However, it takes training and a lot of self control not to be dragged and led by their 'arguments'.
My favorite ones are Moon landing and recently the White stripes behind the planes.

White stripes?

The contrails?

My boss is super big into those.

Doktor
19 Mar 14,, 10:53
White stripes?

The contrails?

Yep, I couldn't remember the word.

Stitch
19 Mar 14,, 19:16
White stripes?

The contrails?

Chogy had a thread going about this a couple of years ago, it was pretty interesting:

http://www.worldaffairsboard.com/world-affairs-board-pub/63024-great-chemtrails-troll.html

DonBelt
19 Mar 14,, 20:22
Fake moon landings and chemtrails are particularly annoying theories. The UFO's at area 51 is a harmless and amusing story. The one that really gets me burning though is 9/11 "truthers". I will find myself being drawn into an argument before I can catch myself. How people can say no planes crashed into the world trade center when millions saw it as it happened is beyond me. And a number of "truthers" say just that, including John Lear and Morgan Reynolds. Anyway, stupid is as stupid does and time wounds all heels is what I say. No point in getting all worked up- the people worth arguing with most likely don't believe in conspiracy theories like these anyway.

Stitch
19 Mar 14,, 20:47
Fake moon landings and chemtrails are particularly annoying theories. The UFO's at area 51 is a harmless and amusing story. The one that really gets me burning though is 9/11 "truthers". I will find myself being drawn into an argument before I can catch myself. How people can say no planes crashed into the world trade center when millions saw it as it happened is beyond me. And a number of "truthers" say just that, including John Lear and Morgan Reynolds. Anyway, stupid is as stupid does and time wounds all heels is what I say. No point in getting all worked up- the people worth arguing with most likely don't believe in conspiracy theories like these anyway.

The other one goes that 9/11 was set-up from the beginning by George Jr., et al, just so they'd have an excuse to invade a small, third-world country (or two), and create the Big Brother DHS.

DonBelt
19 Mar 14,, 22:22
The other one goes that 9/11 was set-up from the beginning by George Jr., et al, just so they'd have an excuse to invade a small, third-world country (or two), and create the Big Brother DHS.

What a devious, well thought out plot! :biggrin:

Tamara
31 Mar 14,, 14:55
Fortunately, I'm rather in a good mood this morning....or perhaps just a desperate mood.

He just came in, negative because something wasn't going his way...................but in the words of the great Wade Wells, "Oh, I don't have time for this!".

I've got to get home, see what the repair schedule is, perhaps accelerate preps, pets to take care of, dishes to clean, etc, etc, etc.

I don't have time to get that caught up in the negativism!

It may be Monday but to me, it's a new day to get caught up on things, get my life in order, get back to being more active.

Monash
05 Apr 14,, 06:56

George Bush? I thought it was the Jews???? :rolleyes: