PDA

View Full Version : "If you can go ten minutes without touching your phone........

Tamara
17 Mar 14,, 08:16
..........they'll supply a day of free clean water to some poor unfortunate!"

It's an ad for UNICEF.......and it worries me.

Oh, not because they are giving people water. Sounds like a worthy cause!

No, that people are supposedly so tied up about their smart phones, they are that hooked on them.

Me, I still have just a cell phone, no links into the Net, nothing like that.

If that is what it turns people into, junkies, I don't think I want to ever have a smart phone.

TopHatter
17 Mar 14,, 17:47
I once thought as you do. But the immense capabilities of smart phones, packed into such a small shell...Well, I don't like to think of myself as a junkie exactly, but if the shoe fits...

Albany Rifles
17 Mar 14,, 18:33
Couldnt do my job without it.

Stitch
17 Mar 14,, 19:06

It's an ad for UNICEF.......and it worries me.

Oh, not because they are giving people water. Sounds like a worthy cause!

No, that people are supposedly so tied up about their smart phones, they are that hooked on them.

Me, I still have just a cell phone, no links into the Net, nothing like that.

If that is what it turns people into, junkies, I don't think I want to ever have a smart phone.

Tamara, we are a vanishing breed; I do not have a smart phone either, just a phone that dials numbers and actually makes phone calls ("The horror! The horror!")! Everybody else in my family has a smart phone and, to be honest, I'm glad I don't. What's the last thing my wife looks at before she turns the light off and goes to sleep? Her smart phone (and, yes, it's an i-Phone 5). What's the first thing she looks at when she wakes up in the morning? Her smart phone. I'm glad I'm not a "slave" to a wireless device, I'd like to think I'm more liberated than that. I'm sure they are a great tool when used properly, but more and more I'm beginning to think that smart phones are becoming an addiction with a growing proportion of the earth's population.

Pretty soon we'll all be like those humans in Wall-E that scoot around on self-propelled smart chairs and only interact with each other through electronic devices.

Doktor
17 Mar 14,, 22:17
I can't believe you don't use your cell phones as alarm clocks.

Also I use the calculator and very, very often the SMS.

For everything else there is a tablet and/or the laptop.

SteveDaPirate
17 Mar 14,, 22:24
My smartphone is really a computer that fits in my pocket. It is mostly used as a web browser, instant messenger, GPS, and multi-tool of apps. The fact that it can also place phone calls is a purely secondary consideration at this point.

bigross86
17 Mar 14,, 22:35
I'm kinda somewhere in the middle. For the longest time I had a dumb phone until circumstances necessitated that I buy a new phone, so I figured go with the best, and I bought a Samsung Galaxy S1. Since then I've upgraded to the S2 and then the S3.

At first I only used it for phone calls and text. Now I use it for email, calendars, Facebook, sudoku, WhatsApp, and more. I also became a ROM junkie, constantly upgrading my phone, always making sure I've got the latest software. At the moment I'm running an Android 4.4 Kit Kat system on my phone, only a few months after it was rolled out by Samsung.

Like AR, I need me phone's capabilities. In my job as a translator I always need to be in contact with clients and potential clients. In my other job I work with people from all over the world, and need to be able to answer them when they send me things.

If you ask me, smartphones are amazing because they have exponentially increased the communications capabilities available to us over dumb phones. I can talk with my dad in NY over WhatsApp, with my sister in NJ over Facebook, and with customers/clients in California via email, while calling vendors and service providers here in Israel to plan my wedding, all from my cell phone. I'll bet Tamara couldn't do that with her dumb phone no matter how much she wanted to.

The important thing though, is that I also know how to put it down when I'm not answering an email or talking with someone, and I'm pretty good at that too.

Doktor
17 Mar 14,, 22:38
My smartphone is really a computer that fits in my pocket. It is mostly used as a web browser, instant messenger, GPS, and multi-tool of apps. The fact that it can also place phone calls is a purely secondary consideration at this point.

What, no camera usage? :eek:

Few years ago, me the missus and the beast (kid) were having a coffee in the city park.

A guy comes, drags out his 10" iPad and asks me if I could take a photo of him and his GF.I did. Then I brought out my 17" laptop opened it, started web camera and asked them to take a photo of us. Yes, I am a jerk most of the time.

SteveDaPirate
17 Mar 14,, 22:46
What, no camera usage? :eek:

Few years ago, me the missus and the beast (kid) were having a coffee in the city park.

A guy comes, drags out his 10" iPad and asks me if I could take a photo of him and his GF.I did. Then I brought out my 17" laptop opened it, started web camera and asked them to take a photo of us. Yes, I am a jerk most of the time.

That is hilarious...

I am currently trying to decide if I want to upgrade to the latest and greatest smartphone or jump on the Google Glass train when it arrives.

chakos
17 Mar 14,, 22:48
I'm completely attached to mine, in fact where do you think I'm writing this message from?

I saw an internet meme that stated that if we ever met anyone from the 1950s who had woken up in our time the strangest thing to explain to them would be that we have a device that fits in our pockets that allows us to instantly access all the information collected by man ever, and we use it to look at pictures of cats and argue with strangers.

Doktor
17 Mar 14,, 23:03
I'm completely attached to mine, in fact where do you think I'm writing this message from?

I saw an internet meme that stated that if we ever met anyone from the 1950s who had woken up in our time the strangest thing to explain to them would be that we have a device that fits in our pockets that allows us to instantly access all the information collected by man ever, and we use it to look at pictures of cats and argue with strangers.

Yep I have seen it, too. Along with this, which is now considered an oldie:

Stitch
17 Mar 14,, 23:09
Reminds me of the first time I was truly exposed to teenagers and their prediliction for texting everything: a few years ago, my younger cousin was visiting with a couple of her friends, and they spent the whole time in her room texting . . . . . . EACH OTHER!

tbm3fan
17 Mar 14,, 23:42
I can definitely go 10 minutes without touching my phone since I don't have a cellphone. In fact, with the wife and child down in Los Angeles, I never touched the house phone on Saturday or Sunday. I had blessed silence, could do what I want and so worked on my cars all weekend. Also read my new Sea Classic, Mustang Monthly, and Maxxum 7 manual.

You want me then call my office M-F between 9-6. On the weekends leave a message unless mother or father then I will pick up. Oh, and Wednesdays on the Hornet, forget it talk to my receptionist as that is another day I don't touch a phone.

tbm3fan
18 Mar 14,, 00:48
I can't believe you don't use your cell phones as alarm clocks.

Also I use the calculator and very, very often the SMS.

For everything else there is a tablet and/or the laptop.

My alarm clock since 1970

Doktor
18 Mar 14,, 00:58
My alarm clock since 1970

Even in subconscious state aka monday morning wake-up, something prevents me from hitting the floor with the mobile.

That alarm clock would only survive in my house if put behind bullet-proof glass.

Tamara
18 Mar 14,, 02:30
I'll bet Tamara couldn't do that with her dumb phone no matter how much she wanted to.........

Probably true but more because the world has changed in it's infrastructure. Try to find a pay phone these days.

But many different things about life as it applies to me. My boss, my organization wants everyone to be on the emergency text system. It is highly encouraged. To me, in my area of work, I don't bother because it is, at best, redundant.

If there is an emergency that they want everyone to know about, if it concerns me, it is because I'm at work and know about it all ready. If they want to say, "Hey, Texas Ice Storm, the place is closed," it is meaningless to me because I'm in one of those 24/7 sections. If I'm scheduled to work, I come in regardless. If I'm around and doing work for my secondary section, then my phone is off either because I'm teaching and don't want to be interrupted, protocol requires the phone to be off, or I'm underwater anyhow. And if I'm off work and the phone is on, then I'm no where near the organization anyhow.

One of the things I did in the Navy was electronic warfare and from that, I have a similar mentality about life. Whether now the cell phone or the land lines in the past, if you want to get a hold of me, we will set up a timetable when I am listening, but otherwise, I'm silent. With the landlines, it would be when I would contact my answering machine. Now, it's when I come on line so the cell tower can reach me.

As things go, I still have landlines. One with an answering machine as one way to reach me; the fax is on the other line. As things go, I also have an AT&T calling card. Haven't used it for years, but it is a backup system that I still keep in place.....just like carrying a roll of quarters or two in the car in case, for some reason, I need(ed) to make a pay phone call.

Seen this video?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OINa46HeWg8

The most troubling one of it to me is the child on the swing. By the way, everyone with their phones for the stand up comedian or the band? In my world, those are places where protocol calls for the phones to be off.

Last 4th of July, my brothers came into town and at dinner, they were showing each other on their smart phones their houses and such. They weren't necessarily ignoring me, but the "phenomena" was occurring.

In my life, my phone, my GPS, my DLSR are all separate. I can navigate a 3rd to a half dozen different ways. In some ways, it is because how I was taught growing up; in others, it is because of some of the work I do now. I do use a GPS a lot, but it is more for marking my position during surveys than how to get there.

Yes, I do use my cell phone as an alarm clock but hardly ever the calculator. I can multiply in my head 2 3 digit numbers, regularly to gas mileage and time to mile at current speed in my head as well.

I am an avid photographer but I use my DSLR for that, often with its telephoto. The only time I use the camera phone is when I absolutely need to take the picture and I don't have a camera. But since I don't do email on my phone, the pics I have taken over the years, that I have not exceeded the memory, are still there, waiting for me to get off my tail and find a way to hard wire down load them. My DSLR is now, also, my photo copier.

I do have a need for a smart phone, when I'm out and about trying to get building supplies off Craigs List.......and I fear that one I get one, I will turn into "one of them". Perhaps not, perhaps, for it will go on a secondary cell phone number I have, and perhaps will only be used for that.....but I do worry about it.

I can only hope that it will be my EW ways that keep me from turning into what everyone seems to want to be.............SAC Chief where someone is following them around with a phone, able to be reached at any time...............even if many today would not "appreciate" the similarity or even know what it was.

Parihaka
18 Mar 14,, 03:00
Lets see: weather forecast, alarm, organiser(s), introduction card, map, mail, recipes, guitar tuner, stereo, book, clock, camera and photo manipulator, units converter, compass, calculator, discounts scanner, and of course text/phone. That's an awful big box of crap it replaces. Can I do without it? Sure, I did before they came along and I still have a slide rule, barometer, pen and notebook. Do I want to do without it? Nahhhhh......

Tamara
18 Mar 14,, 08:58
Lets see: weather forecast, alarm, organiser(s), introduction card, map, mail, recipes, guitar tuner, stereo, book, clock, camera and photo manipulator, units converter, compass, calculator, discounts scanner, and of course text/phone. That's an awful big box of crap it replaces. Can I do without it? Sure, I did before they came along and I still have a slide rule, barometer, pen and notebook. Do I want to do without it? Nahhhhh......

Part of the reason of why I am not that anxious for a smart phone is that at least 40 hours of my paid work occurs in a place like this:

(title of address not helping)

So I work so many hours where the world is presented to me on 8 computer screens, two huge TV screens and then I'm expected to go home and have that world crammed into a palm held unit? I don't think so!

My books are these:
Matter of fact, Monday evening when I was cooking, after my post before this one, I picked up that hardback, came back to the den, TURNED THE COMPUTER OFF, and read the first chapter while my meal cooked.

Weather, I look at a site the hours before. Alarm comes from both the cell phone and battery operated analog clocks. Organizers are wall and desk calendars. A map I memorize. Recipes I have books for. Stereo, I still play LP's and tapes. My camera is a Canon DSLR Rebel.

Units converter is in my head, often using familiarity, such as 3 inch gun ~ 76 mm. Compasses are often the dial type or at least sun positioning, calculator I do in my head, and discounts I do by shopping where I want based on who I am.

There is some digital backup built into my system. I have digital backup/working copies of analog systems (LP, tape, photos, notes, etc). Sometimes because it is easier to watch that, sometimes because I am paranoid of loss.

Another thing that bugs me about the hooked in world, in addition to the zombie effect, is that it is very addictive. I know, I've been there. We see things out there which can be anything our imagination wants and beyond. As I would say, I would see this fantastic world, night after night, where I could be anything I wanted.........and then come home each day to an apartment in central Texas. I would want to continue that fantasy the minute I got home, fulfilling it as much as I can. Going one way, I might do that instead of chores, studying, homework, exercising, and more. If it went another way of that painful drop between that's fantasy but this is reality!

But in our modern world, it doesn't have to be that way, "does it"? Any time we want a little reassurance from that world, all we have to do is reach into our pocket, pull out the smartphone, and get a fix.

I am finding that I am moving away from this high tech world, not toward it. Partially because I have found how silly it is to talk in reality about the opinions of others that I have never met, talk as if it is some great council of minds and it isn't. Partially because I look at the various net people I have talked with over the years, realized how much they have jerked me around, how unhealthy it is to let myself get tied up in that world......and yet if I let it, I could go back and back to it (no one here fits into that category). That it is better to use that time and pick up a book, fictional or otherwise, and read, learn, or just improve one's reading capability.

I was out at a dive camping trip last winter, before Thanks Giving, and the smart phone aspect of it was a bit unnerving. Here we are, away from it all, and when people aren't diving, they have their smart phones out and are staring at them, doing whatever they did. Me, I didn't get any bars, couldn't even send an arrival check in signal, so I put the phone away for 2-3 days. (should have turned it off, but lesson learned). As far as what I did in the day light when I wasn't diving, cooking, eating, taking pictures? I think I was writing.

I'm all for communications but just from the stand point of talking, sending signals that I'm okay, or calling for help. The Forester has its CB, the F250 will eventually have its own, and after that, someday, they will have Hams.

SIGH......I think Walter Matthau said it best in "First Monday in October"............................"The telephone has no Constitutional right to be answered."..................................

............................and neither should the smart phone.

bonehead
18 Mar 14,, 19:49
Just another addiction and an expensive one at that. I have been tempted to upgrade but I would go broke paying for 4, and soon 5 smart phones, and associated data plans. I am paying 100.00/month as it is and see no reason to give the phone companies even more of my hard earned money.The fine print also states that once I leave my current plan there is no going back, but I would need a new plan to be able to use a smart phone. In the mean time I get by really well talking to people and if needed texting. Anything else can wait until I get home and on the computer. I know this irks some people but I don't feel the need to answer every time the phone rings, beeps or whatever. I am not a slave to that box and never will be. Leave a message and I will get back to you. If you are not compelled to leave a message then it was not that important to begin with so don't bother me as I have more important things to do. One last thing. I am not a fan of leaving all kinds of cyber crumbs out there that can and will come back to bite me in the ass.

Dreadnought
19 Mar 14,, 00:30
I can go hours (as in many) without even opening it. Sometimes my battery lasts for four days.

sated buddha
19 Mar 14,, 09:03
Making and receiving calls, sending and receiving sms's, and browzing a couple of my favorite forums at home (this being one of them). And yes the morning 6:30 a.m. wakeup alarm (which is way too soft). Also like to sync it up to the BlueTooth in my car to play music from and handfree taking of calls (much to my father's delight). That's about all I use my mobile for. Yes, the calculator and sometimes the converter too. And since its not a smartphone (android), I need to charge it just once in a little over 2 days.

Tamara
24 Mar 14,, 07:18
As I was driving to work tonight, thought I saw an odd figure walking along side the road. A dark figure, hunched over, was this a priest chanting along the way?

As I got closer, nope! Some young guy, hunched over, more busy with the device in hands.........than being aware of walking along side a roadway.

Stitch
24 Mar 14,, 22:18
As I was driving to work tonight, thought I saw an odd figure walking along side the road. A dark figure, hunched over, was this a priest chanting along the way?

As I got closer, nope! Some young guy, hunched over, more busy with the device in hands.........than being aware of walking along side a roadway.

Good way to get run over . . . . .

gunnut
25 Mar 14,, 00:51

If so, I have kept entire cities hydrated though the worst of Saharan drought.

Tamara
25 Mar 14,, 08:23
Good way to get run over . . . . .

Or, get mugged. Saw another one tonight on the way in, plastic shopping bag in one hand, the glow of his smart phone illuminating his face as he leaned into it.

Why, it's a mugger's wet dream!

Which rather explains things. Around here, we occassionally get an armed robbery at night. If people are walking around with their faces in their smartphones, I now understand more how it happens.

Me, I am not like that. T'was once, a score ago. Was walking to work around midnight, lost in my thoughts, when suddenly, there was the sound of rapid feet, the mind flashed TARGET!, and I spun 315 (because that's how my foot fall was at the particular moment), coming up ready to strike......and the jogger there jumped back with "WHOA! TAKE IT EASY!".

But I had been careless, he should have never gotten that close.

Once bitten, twice shy.

sated buddha
25 Mar 14,, 12:18
Or, get mugged. Saw another one tonight on the way in, plastic shopping bag in one hand, the glow of his smart phone illuminating his face as he leaned into it.

Why, it's a mugger's wet dream!

Which rather explains things. Around here, we occassionally get an armed robbery at night. If people are walking around with their faces in their smartphones, I now understand more how it happens.

Me, I am not like that. T'was once, a score ago. Was walking to work around midnight, lost in my thoughts, when suddenly, there was the sound of rapid feet, the mind flashed TARGET!, and I spun 315 (because that's how my foot fall was at the particular moment), coming up ready to strike......and the jogger there jumped back with "WHOA! TAKE IT EASY!".

But I had been careless, he should have never gotten that close.

Once bitten, twice shy.

"Close" has such different comnnotations in different parts of the world ......

If I whirl 315 (I did not get this - 90 degrees plus minus some would already bring the pursure into line of sight and 180 both of you face to face), before I get ready to strike, I would probably already have struck 3-4 people in the process here. Elbows, shoulders, feet, probably a head butt thrown in for good measure.

So if you don't have a gun in the US and are walking back home (or to your hotel) in the dark, the advic is don't be immersed on your phone? How close is too close in the US? Suppose its a guy who's just walking in the same direction, and your speeds just happen to match, or worse, he's a bit faster and gaining on you?

What do you do?

Tamara
25 Mar 14,, 12:22
"Close" has such different comnnotations in different parts of the world ......

If I whirl 315 (I did not get this - 90 degrees plus minus some would already bring the pursure into line of sight and 180 both of you face to face), before I get ready to strike, I would probably already have struck 3-4 people in the process here. Elbows, shoulders, feet, probably a head butt thrown in for good measure.

So if you don't have a gun in the US and are walking back home (or to your hotel) in the dark, the advic is don't be immersed on your phone? How close is too close in the US? Suppose its a guy who's just walking in the same direction, and your speeds just happen to match, or worse, he's a bit faster and gaining on you?

What do you do?

HOLD YOUR DISTANCE! in the loudest, most unfriendly voice possible.

He may get a second verbal warn off, he might not, but if he keeps closing......well, let's just say that someone is going to the hospital in an ambulance.

sated buddha
25 Mar 14,, 12:26
HOLD YOUR DISTANCE! in the loudest, most unfriendly voice possible.

He may get a second verbal warn off, he might not, but if he keeps closing......well, let's just say that someone is going to the hospital in an ambulance.

Man Tamara, in which part of the US of A does this happen? Seriously. I've been to many of your cities (East as well as West coast), walked in them too, and somehow never seen this .....

Tamara
25 Mar 14,, 12:32
Man Tamara, in which part of the US of A does this happen? Seriously. I've been to many of your cities (East as well as West coast), walked in them too, and somehow never seen this .....

What can I say? I'm trained not to let people get close. To use barriers as possible, to move to their off side to attack if necessary, to be agressive as called for, to use what I can as a weapon.

I don't look for fights and I haven't been in that many and perhaps it is because a lot of people take one look at me and decide they don't want to take me on. Whether it is looks, reputation, or word of mouth, I don't know....but I am grateful for it.

SteveDaPirate
25 Mar 14,, 18:11
What can I say? I'm trained not to let people get close. To use barriers as possible, to move to their off side to attack if necessary, to be agressive as called for, to use what I can as a weapon.

I don't look for fights and I haven't been in that many and perhaps it is because a lot of people take one look at me and decide they don't want to take me on. Whether it is looks, reputation, or word of mouth, I don't know....but I am grateful for it.

I’m rarely concerned about a solitary person walking up to me at night. If they are coming up behind you, just say hello and start talking to them. If they just happen to be headed your way you just made a new friend, if they turn out to have hostile intentions, they are liable to get shot.

The time I would worry more is if I noticed a number of men who were all watching each other and me. This is particularly true if they are spread around an area or along a wall near a sidewalk. In this scenario I think you want to avoid putting yourself in a position to be surrounded. Armed or not, against a coordinated group you are fracked if you let yourself get surrounded.

I feel safe enough walking around my city in the day or at night. There are a few areas in the metro that are best avoided, but I suspect every city has its rougher areas. Strangely enough, I’ve actually talked to several teenage girls who have this idea that you are less likely to be assaulted if you are talking on a cell phone… Not sure I follow that logic. It would be much easier to assault someone who is distracted than someone who is paying close attention to you.

Tamara
25 Mar 14,, 18:44
To SteveDaPirate:

I am glad you feel this way but I have worked midshift for over 20 years, where it is just me. I will do what is necessary to defend myself and believe it absolutely. One might say it is unlikely that I will escape a coordinated attack, but I don't believe that, there is no room for doubt. I believe absolutely that if it comes down to it, I am blasting through their lines and keep on going.

SteveDaPirate
25 Mar 14,, 20:38
To SteveDaPirate:One might say it is unlikely that I will escape a coordinated attack, but I don't believe that, there is no room for doubt. I believe absolutely that if it comes down to it, I am blasting through their lines and keep on going.

I guess I was imagining walking along and spotting a bad situation before you step into it. For example, if you see a group of guys spread out and leaning up against a wall next to a sidewalk. It isn't unheard of for them to surround you as you tried to walk past. In that scenario, if you see it coming it is easy enough to walk to the other side of the street and avoid the trap.

On the other hand, I agree that once an attack has actually begun, shooting your way out is a much better option than surrender. My policy is to pay attention and avoid trouble whenever possible, and use explosive violence if it proves unavoidable.

What drives me nuts is the people who assume that if they actively ignore their surroundings they will avoid "provoking" an attack. In my opinion, people who see something that sets off internal warning bells, and try to make themselves small and ignore it, are practically inviting trouble.

Tamara
26 Mar 14,, 09:46
I guess I was imagining walking along and spotting a bad situation before you step into it. For example, if you see a group of guys spread out and leaning up against a wall next to a sidewalk. It isn't unheard of for them to surround you as you tried to walk past. In that scenario, if you see it coming it is easy enough to walk to the other side of the street and avoid the trap.

On the other hand, I agree that once an attack has actually begun, shooting your way out is a much better option than surrender. My policy is to pay attention and avoid trouble whenever possible, and use explosive violence if it proves unavoidable.

What drives me nuts is the people who assume that if they actively ignore their surroundings they will avoid "provoking" an attack. In my opinion, people who see something that sets off internal warning bells, and try to make themselves small and ignore it, are practically inviting trouble.

My world has potential responses that could be absolutely insane to the attacker. If you are in control, really manipulate the situation.

Someone tries to hijack the aircraft? IMMEDIATELY put it into a stall. Someone tries to kidnap you in the car? Floor it into a collision.

Don't like that someone may be following you? Take the course where they would be fools to follow....or perhaps very uncomfortable like, if in town, ducking into a store.

Be fearless on where you may lead them, have no restraints if it comes down to it.

Tamara
04 Apr 14,, 10:13
This is rather disjointed but bear with it. Another example of our focused world.

Well, two things. First of all, my boss yesterday tried to convince me to go smart phone, using the old dog approach. Ie, if his dad could go smart phone, so could I.

It's not a thing, though, of being afraid of the hi tech world. It's having a computer in your hand when I spend 8 hours a day in a mission control type room.

Well, it's not just a computer, there are other things, too, like GPS he says.

Me: I have a GPS, a Garmin, but I usually only use that when I'm taking fixes for the information I am gathering on site. And I already know how to navigate with using GPS. Then he makes some comment about being able to find the clear traffic routes which (though I didn't mention it at the time) is something I wouldn't be doing when I was driving, anyhow. I'd be driving, not trying to access some electronic device.

Then he comments how I'm rather anti all in one device.................and you know, YES, I AM! My life is about components and being able to do any job based on the the gear I have and being able to work out a procedure for it. There's no push the one button here. Besides, for the various times I've had to go to my laptop to call my phone to find out where it is, I just dread the prospect of having my life so tied up in one device that if something happened to it, I could be lost.

Secondly, I have a friend who is a school teacher and she worries me. She'll post stuff to the Net without checking it out, or apparently even thinking. For instance, Two suns in the sky in the middle of this month, be sure to see it. How can one be a teacher and not appreciate that IF a sun were to approach Earth at about the same distance as Mars, a beautiful sky is something we wouldn't have our attention on. Ie, it's approach would a similar distance Mercury is from our sun. The story is a hoax.

Or stories that are posted and people go viral about them.......and if one checks the date, they can see that the event is months old. Did I mention the FB "friend" that would do that? Post stories of horrible child abuse cases and if one checked, they would see that the story was years old? About a month or so ago, they posted an Amber alert as active when it was already a said and done deal and I publicly criticized them about that being inexcusable......they defriended me in about 2 minutes. Oh, well!

bonehead
07 Apr 14,, 05:38
Just another addiction and an expensive one at that. I have been tempted to upgrade but I would go broke paying for 4, and soon 5 smart phones, and associated data plans. I am paying 100.00/month as it is and see no reason to give the phone companies even more of my hard earned money.The fine print also states that once I leave my current plan there is no going back, but I would need a new plan to be able to use a smart phone. In the mean time I get by really well talking to people and if needed texting. Anything else can wait until I get home and on the computer. I know this irks some people but I don't feel the need to answer every time the phone rings, beeps or whatever. I am not a slave to that box and never will be. Leave a message and I will get back to you. If you are not compelled to leave a message then it was not that important to begin with so don't bother me as I have more important things to do. One last thing. I am not a fan of leaving all kinds of cyber crumbs out there that can and will come back to bite me in the ass.

Apparently the wife didn't see this. She went out shopping for a new phone…could have gotten one for free, but came back with 2 I-Phones and a new 2 year plan. :slap::slap::slap::bang::bang::bang::slap::slap::s lap:

For all those single men out there…….Ignore women and acquire wealth.

Tamara
07 Apr 14,, 08:10
Apparently the wife didn't see this. She went out shopping for a new phone…could have gotten one for free, but came back with 2 I-Phones and a new 2 year plan. :slap::slap::slap::bang::bang::bang::slap::slap::s lap:

I could say the same thing about a lot of men, ignore them.

Like the one the other month who was hitting on me on the Net, knew I could get into exotics, and we weren't 5 minutes into the conversation before he's asking for some like pictures of me.

So I told him to charm me at least a little, seduce me, before he takes my clothes off..................and promptly logged off on him.

But with all the horror stories I hear of ex lovers throwing car batteries through windows, domestics, ex girlfriend revenge, etc.......it may suck to be alone, but it seems like the safe route.

Bringing this closer to home, I can just picture one brother (he's twice divorced) visiting one of my places and "DAD! There's no Playstation! No streaming! She doesn't even have a flat TV! There's nothing to eat here!" Different sort of lifestyle, this one here......and there's plenty to eat at my place, it just doesn't come as boxed meals. Ie, make it out of cans, frozen basics, flour.

About the component life. I find it extends through out and I rather like it that way. I'm prepping for a major dive op and I was loading my truck some tonight. Where's the first aid kit? I thought I had it in this car, oh well, there's another one, mission covered (and the one I was looking for showed up a few seconds later). But with me, it's not a life about it has to be this one device or the mission is a no go. It's I can't find this..........okay, what else will work in its place?

I was low on phone power today before leaving for dance rehearsal, couldn't find the charger. Well, if so, then shut down, conserve power, go off line......................after all, I lived many years before without even having a cell phone, I didn't get one till 2005. As it was, I found the charger, got about 13 minutes of charge to it........and then my dance leader drained it talking to the owner of the studio to get in because her smart phone was dead. Good to have and oh, well!

As far as the reason perhaps 18 months ago I was thinking of getting a smart phone, to be able to track the free stuff on Craigs List while on the move, that reason is still there, I still don't have a smart phone, and there are so many things to work out even if I was buzzing around town, picking up cast off building supplies.

Sure, it would be nice but you know.................................it's not the answer to it all.

Doktor
07 Apr 14,, 08:17

She is with the program. She didn't drag 5 iPhones ;) See it as another pair of shoes and carry on.

bonehead
07 Apr 14,, 08:56
She is with the program. She didn't drag 5 iPhones ;) See it as another pair of shoes and carry on.

With another pair of shoes you only have the initial cost. I am on the hook for a monthly fee for the next 2 years. There was nothing wrong with my old phone BTW