PDA

View Full Version : I need KITS!

Tamara
12 Mar 14,, 15:55
Tool KITS! Med KITS! KITS for well repair! KITS for electronics! KITS, KITS, KITS!

I was just in the kitchen looking for some coffee filters that the bugs hadn't taken over when an Ace bandage dropped on my head and, like the apple, I thought I really should put all my excess medical supplies into a storage kit of some kind.

Of course, when it comes to first aid stuff, I'm not sure what's "excess". As things go, I have first aid kits all over the place of various ages. One in my day pack for minor cuts and stuff. One or two in the truck, field type. Another one at my second job (in addition to the supplies there). An older one in the bail out bag. Etc, etc, etc..

Think like a cook, think like a medic. I am forever buying first aid supplies when I see a good deal......partially because I can be a klutz.

But that's not the point here but rather, I need someway to organize all the little things of a very active life.

My usual way is back packs. Old school book bags turned into other functions like camera bags, range bags, etc. There are certainly enough around, in fact, so many, I'm not sure what's in them (some of them were just stuffed with stuff at the convenient moment), some distressed at what happened to them (dog pee'd on it), and bags, bags, bags.

Part of it comes down to the recognized by other life style. "Oh, that looks cute and useful, I'd bet Tamm would love it!". I have a fanny pack rig that looks like it was based on the ALICE system. A belt, maybe suspenders with various pouches that fit on it in various places, all in international orange. Haven't used it to its full capacity or much at all. Older but still zippable fanny packs now get used as internal gear carriers, like for scissors or something.

Of course, I could always go out and buy more back packs, cheap, but you get what you pay for (unless you buy at an REI sale) which usually means zippers that don't work for long at all.

Or I could go for tool kit boxes. Those are interesting and in their own special class. It seems there are always various kinds of tool kits to buy, at various prices. I haven't looked but I don't think they go on sale much, but on the other hand, "hard boxes" show up enough as door prizes. Got one beside me that I won at a foot race probably 15+ years ago. They are wonderful for neat, orderly storage; neat, orderly storage when multiple units are stacked, but they aren't that great for expansion. If a few more items don't fit, they don't fit. As hard boxes, they require their dedicated space in the truck.

But tools are heavy enough that hard boxes are preferred. As things go, I ended up with a lot of them as well. The heavy metal tool box Dad had. The heavy metal tool box my parents had that never was used, was years old but new when I found it. The smaller plastic ones, "her toolkit", another one. The large plastic, box like one from the foot race. Probably a few others.......and then the tackle box for my theaterical makeup.

So what's the problem? Probably not an issue of having enough boxes but rather, that tool kits are like wine racks. Once you have them, you feel compelled to fill them (and then with wine racks, you feel compelled to empty them). Have a big tool box to keep at home. Have a big tool box, fully loaded for any job, to put in the truck when I go diving.

I learned the other month to have at least one tool kit always near you......when the dead bolts failed in my apartment and all my tool boxes were in the other apartment. What's a minimal tool kit? Screwdrivers, flat and Phillips? Hammers, nail and rubber? Both types of Leatherman's? Pliers? Wrench? Vise grip? Basic Swiss Army? Duct tape? Micro Maglite?

It's probably not so much the tool boxes that rack up the price as it is filling them........though it is cheaper around Christmas time. Further, doncha know?, one usually ends up with odds and ends of tools over the years. You don't know where they came from, but once you have them, you hold on to them..........

......................until they disappear into someone else's kit!

Albany Rifles
12 Mar 14,, 16:27
Me thinks you have too much crap.

Figure what you need....not what you want.

Fight the instinct of...."well I might need this so let's hold on to it."

Paint is not that expensive....so why do I have cans from 2 colors ago?

If I have enough first aid supplies to support the Invasion of Normandy or conduct major surgery I have too much.

I finally adopted that policy last fall....made 4 runs to Goodwill and 4 runs to the dump.

Life is a LOT easier....and organized.

Doktor
12 Mar 14,, 16:30
I have my laptop, my tablet, general tools and not much more around.

Who needs more?

OTOH, The books are in the basement and I don't have the heart to donate them.

Tamara
12 Mar 14,, 16:50
Me thinks you have too much crap.

Figure what you need....not what you want.

Fight the instinct of...."well I might need this so let's hold on to it."

Paint is not that expensive....so why do I have cans from 2 colors ago?

If I have enough first aid supplies to support the Invasion of Normandy or conduct major surgery I have too much.

I finally adopted that policy last fall....made 4 runs to Goodwill and 4 runs to the dump.

Life is a LOT easier....and organized.

Well, a couple of things.

First of all, as a future homesteader, I have been encouraged to have a lot of stuff. I have been told that I should go to every auction, every hardware store sell out I can, and get as many tools as possible. Because out in the country, it's just me and what I have.

Secondly, our great information highway has turned into CRAP! For the questions we might ask it, we are given opinions, half answers, and snide remarks. The other day, a tape got stuck in my VHS-DVR unit. I went to the net with the unit number, entered it in, the problem, and got a general response back for any VHS. As it was, I didn't use their answer which really didn't address the problem, but managed to jiggle out the tape.

But knowing I can't depend on the Net for answers, I make it a habit of buying up reference books as I can, such as "Reader's Digest Complete Do-it-yourself Manual" (think I have the PM one around as well).

Third, First Aid gear is the type of thing where when you need it, you can't afford to go to the store to get it.

Fourth, I grew up in regions where typhoons would take out the power for a week. Around here, it is not uncommon to get a notice of "Sorry, but the water will be off all day tomorrow as they repair old pipes". So I've been conditioned to stock pile, to have cans of Sterno, coolers and jerry cans of water, to have a ready drawer of emergency stuff (batteries, flashlights, knives, water purification tablets, etc). Not to live life like that seems foolhardy.

Fifth, mine is not to have a specific answer for something but to figure out a procedural answer based on the stuff that I have.

Sixth: Cook, Medic, Tinker, Builder. For many a project, I may not be able to supply manpower, but I can supply tools, food, transportation.

Seventh: A while back, I was taught to be a valuable team member in life it is not about, really, what you were "designed" to do, it's what you can do, what do you bring to the table to handle the problem? That's the way I've been conditioned to think.

Eighth: Once bitten, twice shy. It really sucks to have the dead bolts fail in your apartment and have to undo them with a knife because all your tools are stored in the other room.

Doktor
12 Mar 14,, 16:58
Excuses :whome:

1. Those who told you that should have also told you that you wont need at least half of those in more then 2 occassions.
2. Something is wrong with your google-fu. You might want to switch the search-engine. Bing is good second choice, IMV. BTW, noone, ever resolved an issue via official channels, community and forums are much, much better.
3. Doesn't mean you should stock a hospital supply. Tell me you also have infusions and blood supplies ;)
4. These are not kits, are they?
5... I don't follow.

This numbering thing is tiresome.

Tamara
12 Mar 14,, 17:10
Excuses :whome:

1. Those who told you that should have also told you that you wont need at least half of those in more then 2 occassions.
2. Something is wrong with your google-fu. You might want to switch the search-engine. Bing is good second choice, IMV. BTW, noone, ever resolved an issue via official channels, community and forums are much, much better.
3. Doesn't mean you should stock a hospital supply. Tell me you also have infusions and blood supplies ;)
4. These are not kits, are they?
5... I don't follow.

This numbering thing is tiresome.

Two occasions are enough.

Had a girlfriend with a farm out in east Texas come home at 5 am on Sunday morning to find her well with a springing leak and was desperate on FB about it (she was tired, drawn out, had to go back to work in a few hours). Who are you going to call at that hour to come out and fix it? How much are you willing to pay for a house call?

Hearing of her problem that day, I bought at a hardware store close out various pipe clamps, hose clamps of various sizes, and other odds and ends of Damage Control items, jury rig stuff. Have it around, just in case. That's what they say of insurance....once you have it, you don't need it.

As far as communications (ie, The Net); to me, one's a fool if they expect it always to be there. One's a fool if they expect the information to always be there, to always be the same.

I don't have infusions and blood supplies but I do have a QuikClot. Besides, this is what I said about the news services and the air crash: one's opinion then taken as fact. I never said I had a hospital supply. I just said I had a lot.

If someone lives someplace where they will always have what they need, where there will always be someone to supply them when they don't or a disaster hits, I'm happy for them......but it is not the way I live.

Doktor
12 Mar 14,, 17:32
We definitely have a different approach.

I like to have necessities, but since I can't have it all, I prefer to have the absolute minimum. With the savings of not buying things that I wont use I will pay whatever I need, when I need it.

On the other hand, I can understand and even support your point of view since you live in totally different circumstances - out in the wild. Would you need all that, probably not, but you must have them, since the closest are 100 miles away. Given that the roads are open. No argument there. Just do you really need to overstock yourself? Could you have the same with less?

About the free information... it's naive to believe something comes for free. Will it be here forever? Who knows? The way it is now is acceptable to me, I give up a bit of my privacy for an information about anything, anytime, virtually anywhere. When it seizes to exist, I have my books, magazines and PDFs.

Tamara
12 Mar 14,, 18:07
We definitely have a different approach.

I like to have necessities, but since I can't have it all, I prefer to have the absolute minimum. With the savings of not buying things that I wont use I will pay whatever I need, when I need it.

On the other hand, I can understand and even support your point of view since you live in totally different circumstances - out in the wild. Would you need all that, probably not, but you must have them, since the closest are 100 miles away. Given that the roads are open. No argument there. Just do you really need to overstock yourself? Could you have the same with less?

About the free information... it's naive to believe something comes for free. Will it be here forever? Who knows? The way it is now is acceptable to me, I give up a bit of my privacy for an information about anything, anytime, virtually anywhere. When it seizes to exist, I have my books, magazines and PDFs.

Well, not 100 miles, only about 25 minutes...but only one road with lots of low water crossings. The major one was closed off last November, at least, for a while.

As far as the Net goes, I learned long ago about the availability of information. Learned to store government documents because it took so long, back then, to download them each and every time I needed to look at them. My best example is the Entebbe Raid. For so long, every place I looked, I could only find a minor mention, a foot note of it. Even the Israeli sites no longer had data on it. I finally found a paratrooper site with that information.

These days, though, I depend more on the books I have, those directly on the raid, and "HERK: Hero of the Skies" (C-130).

Granted, occassionally the Net is good for things, like the other week when I was debunking another's argument that the Munich Massacre was a Muslim attack (the leader was of a different religion).

However, for what I find, I've learned to download it all, for who knows how long it will be out there or that a server will allow it through?

Books, of course, aren't Kits stuff, but I have them. Dad's Time-Life series on WW II and Viet Nam. Mom's classical art series. I have Jane's from various years, atlas's over time, etc..

And soon, I will have more than enough room to store them all.

Gun Grape
13 Mar 14,, 05:38
I would say that you got bad advice.

You don't need to buy a lot of tools. You need to buy one set of good tools. Or one complete set for the house and one small set for the truck. Otherwise you are just wasting money

I've been doing this stuff for about 10 years and it sounds like you have more tools than I do.

I cringe when I read someone mention Leatherman/Gerber and tool kit. You are as likely to do more damage (stripped screw head) than actually fix the problem.

Gun Grape
13 Mar 14,, 05:57
Two occasions are enough.

Had a girlfriend with a farm out in east Texas come home at 5 am on Sunday morning to find her well with a springing leak and was desperate on FB about it (she was tired, drawn out, had to go back to work in a few hours). Who are you going to call at that hour to come out and fix it? How much are you willing to pay for a house call?

Not sure what a "Springing leak" is. But here is the quick answer. Unless the water is shooting 2 feet out of the ground. Go inside, fill a few containers with water for cooking/drinking /flushing. Take your shower (she had to go back to work soon). Then cut the pump off at the breaker box. Get a parts list, then go to work a little early and get the needed parts. Come home and fix it.

Hearing of her problem that day, I bought at a hardware store close out various pipe clamps, hose clamps of various sizes, and other odds and ends of Damage Control items, jury rig stuff. Have it around, just in case. That's what they say of insurance....once you have it, you don't need it.

So you got a bunch of stuff that is probably useless. Do you know what size pipes you have?

For emergency (quick Fix) water repairs I have 1 go to product. I keep 2 of each size at the house. Its a compression coupling. To do an emergency repair on a pipe you need 3 things at most.
A hacksaw, A compression coupling in either 1/2 or 3/4in and maybe a shovel if the line is buried. This thing will work on Galv pipe. PVC and copper.

Much easier than a fernco coupling

JAD_333
13 Mar 14,, 07:44
Tool KITS! Med KITS! KITS for well repair! KITS for electronics! KITS, KITS, KITS!

Tamara, very much enjoyed your little write up, not the least because I am in construction, and as everyone in construction knows--Grape already weighed on this--organizing tools and fasteners and such can be a never-ending headache. I have shelves and racks where I can see everything, having learned a long time ago that putting tools in boxes mean time wasted looking for things. However, a toolbox in the truck and one in the house with the basic stuff works good for me. As for screws, nails and stuff like that, if they're not in marked boxes, I put them in clear plastic containers, and bigger stuff like plumbing supplies go in large plastic containers labelled accordingly.

But face it, you are one of those types who will die leaving behind things you never used or used once or twice in 50 years. :)

I learned the other month to have at least one tool kit always near you......when the dead bolts failed in my apartment and all my tool boxes were in the other apartment. What's a minimal tool kit? Screwdrivers, flat and Phillips? Hammers, nail and rubber? Both types of Leatherman's? Pliers? Wrench? Vise grip? Basic Swiss Army? Duct tape? Micro Maglite?

Well, maybe you have them already, but I would add a 25ft measuring tape, Allen wrench sets (SAE and metric), adjustable wrenches, a small pry bar, a chisel or two, a Stanley retractable knife (with extra blades), a cold chisel, a pin punch, a small nail puller, wire cutter/stripper, a volt meter, and a bottle of aspirin. A Leatherman and Swiss Army knife...maybe okay in a pinch, but usually not up to the job.

Doktor
13 Mar 14,, 07:48
Now that JAD mentioned Aspirin, I realized that all of you forget painkillers :biggrin:

bonehead
13 Mar 14,, 08:32
Now that JAD mentioned Aspirin, I realized that all of you forget painkillers :biggrin:

Aspirin? Bahh. My Grandfather always had whiskey in his tool box. No wonder he was always tinkering with something. If he ever came a crossed something he couldn't fix….by the end of the afternoon he wouldn't really care.

Tamara
13 Mar 14,, 16:48
..........Well, maybe you have them already, but I would add a 25ft measuring tape, Allen wrench sets (SAE and metric), adjustable wrenches, a small pry bar, a chisel or two, a Stanley retractable knife (with extra blades), a cold chisel, a pin punch, a small nail puller, wire cutter/stripper, a volt meter, and a bottle of aspirin. A Leatherman and Swiss Army knife...maybe okay in a pinch, but usually not up to the job.

Measuring tape, got it! All the way from indoor stuff to 50-100 foot land measuring real. Socket wrenches, check. Adjustables, right. Full size crow bar. Chisels, probably. Knives, galore (in my family, guns and knives we never seem to stop buying). Cold chisel, pin punch, not sure what those are. Nail pullers on the back of claw hammers. Wire strippers, here and there. Volt meter, around (have an electronics degree)

The thing with the Leatherman and Swiss Army knife is that those things usually have the tools for the small things like twizzers, tooth pick, file, wire strippers, etc.. I'd want a proper wrench to take the hose off a first stage but there is probably something between the two that will enable me to get an O ring off an air cylinder.

Now aspirin is one of those items which I keep around but unless someone else uses it, I usually end up pouring whole bottles down the toilet at expiration date. Then, I go out and buy a new supply to re outfit the kits.

I don't use the stuff or usually any pain killers hardly ever. Over the years, I've developed various mind over matter techniques, from Gate Theory to something like the start of this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmtoKKJm6Tg&list=PLPlvkHCJC9Ua_8Nan9Rey70MfMZ3jzL2m
................or even the tagline for "The Image".

As far as the quick fix plumbing repairs, the pump was forgotten. I remember the submarine DC training video where the Chief was commenting over it as the crew worked to fix the leaks in the filling compartment.............."They still haven't requested a pump.".

JAD_333
13 Mar 14,, 20:03
. Cold chisel, pin punch, not sure what those are. Nail pullers on the back of claw hammers.

I'd like to see you pull and embedded nail with a claw hammer. :) Framers use this baby.

Cold chisel for masonry cuts...

punches, push out a pin, center a screw hole for mounting a hinge, etc. Here's a center punch.

This is nice to have to measure inside measurement of pipe and thicknesses of wood, etc.

Otherwise you seem to have everything. How about an air compressor and a nail gun...:)

Tamara
13 Mar 14,, 23:18
I'd like to see you pull and embedded nail with a claw hammer. :) Framers use this baby.

Cold chisel for masonry cuts...

punches, push out a pin, center a screw hole for mounting a hinge, etc. Here's a center punch.

This is nice to have to measure inside measurement of pipe and thicknesses of wood, etc.

Otherwise you seem to have everything. How about an air compressor and a nail gun...:)

And there we go! More, More, More!

More tools!

As far as the air compressor and nail gun goes, not yet....but I have been eying them on Craigs List.

As far as what farmers' use, point to keep in mind.......more, more, more.

As things go, had to go out today and buy something that I might only use in ten years, hopefully not at all, certainly not for the reason why I bought it. A small animal catch & release trap.

As it is, I had to shop around to find one. It is not the kind of thing you can borrow. People don't let you rent them. So now I own one.

SIGH!...............such is the life!

JAD_333
14 Mar 14,, 06:40
Not farmers, framers, the guys who build the frame of a stickbuilt house.

Good luck with your trap.

bonehead
14 Mar 14,, 09:08
Not farmers, framers, the guys who build the frame of a stickbuilt house.

Good luck with your trap.

LOL. Farmers have live traps. The two of you are looking at this from very different perspectives.