PDA

View Full Version : What should a person be watching these days?

Tamara
24 Feb 14,, 07:55
I was doing a little sorting tonight of tapes and DVD's. So many different titles there.

"Cold Mountain", "Soldiers of Fortune" (Bronson/Tony Curtis), "Stagecoach", Touch of Frost mysteries, old TV series like Xena, Hercules, Mission: Impossible, Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea, The Outer Limits, etc..

SIGH so much there to watch, to see, I'm certain I have too much of it, between that and books.

Well, if the power grid ever goes out, at least won't have a problem with entertainment (the books). Maybe survival, but not entertainment.

And then, I think of all those TV shows that I don't see, that people indicate I should, to turn around my out of touchness.

So what should people be watching these days?

Doktor
24 Feb 14,, 10:30
When I have the time, which is rare, my thing for series is Big Bang Theory.

sated buddha
24 Feb 14,, 10:38
I like watching Discovery Turbo or Discovery Science or National Geographic.

Also Friends. Yes, Big Bang Theory too.

Otherwise the News.

Latin Angels too, but I'm guessing you'd find fault with the scenery or props or lighting or some such.

Tamara
24 Feb 14,, 10:51
Well, just got done watching S1, E1 of a "A Touch of Frost". Bought the first season online about 1.5 years ago but then was upset that I couldn't download it, had to watch "there". I think I did watch episode one a while back, just didn't recall it.

What is "Latin Angels"? I am coming up with the name of an actor (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2659296/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1) and a Venezuelan bikini series (not available in the US).

I'll put a tape for BBT......but I'm sorry, I could never do "Friends". Think I only ever saw one episode, where the brunette got a chef promotion, was treating all her friends, and then the rug got yanked out from under her.

As far as Discovery and Nat'l Geo goes, it was great before it went biker. I have tapes of Forensic Detectives, the FBI Files, Interpol Investigates, Air Crashes around. But......when it did go biker, they became unwatchable.

WHICH News?

Seriously.

sated buddha
24 Feb 14,, 10:55
What is "Latin Angels"? I am coming up with the name of an actor and a Venezuelan bikini series (not available in the US).

I did not know it was Venezuelan.

I'll put a tape for BBT......but I'm sorry, I could never do "Friends". Think I only ever saw one episode, where the brunette got a chef promotion, was treating all her friends, and then the rug got yanked out from under her.

A lot of the British BBC stiff upper lip comedies are great too. Fawlty Towers always cracks me up.

As far as Discovery and Nat'l Geo goes, it was great before it went biker. I have tapes of Forensic Detectives, the FBI Files, Interpol Investigates, Air Crashes around. But......when it did go biker, they became unwatchable.

What's wrong with bikers? Our trails start where those of your 4x4s end.

WHICH News?

Seriously.

I like watching Times Now with dinner.

Bigfella
24 Feb 14,, 11:00
I mostly get to watch TV shows after the event on DVD.

Game of Thrones is brilliant. Enjoyed the first 2 seasons of Walking Dead (haven't seen the rest) and Boardwalk Empire is a fun mix of history & trashy fiction. Hard to beat prohibition-era gangsters in Noo Joisy with Steve Buschemi. I am loving Mad Men, though it is increasingly dark - not for everyone.

I am a big fan of the original Australian version of Rake, about an oversexed & narcissistic lawyer. Not everyone will find the humour funny or the central character endearing, but I am slightly biased by the fact that one of the co-creators is a lawyer who grew up in the country town I grew up in. Elements of the central character are autobiographical.

This is current stuff. Will get to older stuff later.

Doktor
24 Feb 14,, 11:10
Biker? I gave up when they went all sharks.

Tamara
24 Feb 14,, 11:14
Well, with "Latin Angels", are you talking about this (http://www.viki.com/tv/20423c-latin-angels)?

As far as what's wrong with all the channels going biker? Basically, they dumb down what they were showing. What use to be interesting, educational, became ridiculous. Monster Garage? Mythbusters? Nothing personal but it strikes me as the shows were meant for beer guzzling couch potatoes.

I do like "Fawlty Towers" but isn't it years old? I mean, they haven't made anything new, have they?

"Alas" but anything that isn't on standard cable isn't going to work. I don't have showtime, don't have HBO.

As far as "Walking Dead", I think not. It's just that with so much of the real world going to hell in a hand basket, I don't think I'll find my entertainment in a show that shows we are already there. "Mad Men", though, I could give a chance.

Think I found an episode of BBT on youtube now; I'll give it a glance.......or maybe not. It looks like it was just a summation of scenes............unless the show really does bounce around like that.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUYYdH3-o2w

sated buddha
24 Feb 14,, 11:27
Well, with "Latin Angels", are you talking about this (http://www.viki.com/tv/20423c-latin-angels)?

Yup. Most of them look a lot like Indian girls. We have an Indian version too (annual show) called the Making of the Kingfisher Calendar.

As far as what's wrong with all the channels going biker? Basically, they dumb down what they were showing. What use to be interesting, educational, became ridiculous. Monster Garage? Mythbusters? Nothing personal but it strikes me as the shows were meant for beer guzzling couch potatoes.

We don't get all that here. Here most of these shows are concentrated in Discovery Turbo, and even there just a few I like to watch. The ones in Nat Geo etc. some of them are auto related, but the ones I like are those that deal with arms and warfare technology and those like ultimate warrior or the one that pits a Samurai against a Navy Seal or a Grizzly against a Polar Bear (surprisingly the smaller Grizzly wins).

I do like "Fawlty Towers" but isn't it years old? I mean, they haven't made anything new, have they?

Yup old. I have them on CD. My wife and I love watching them from time to time. Kids like mainly Hindi stuff.

Tamara
24 Feb 14,, 11:41
SIGH......having gone through that BBT video, maybe I won't be putting a tape in after all. I think the funniest thing I found in that video was the sign in the laundry room that said, "Please keep your clothes on while washing clothes".

Isn't there anything out there these days with the quality of Fraiser? Fawlty Towers? WKRP?

Or is it all like what Tom Smothers said: "I'm watching television and I'm not seeing anything. I watch all the cable shows where you should see some looseness and you're not hearing anything. ...There's a general dumbing down of everybody in this country. ...It just kept going and going until it's gotten to the point where it's all mean-spirited and vulgar......"

sated buddha
24 Feb 14,, 11:44
I think the comic timing on Big Bang Theory is pretty good.

I haven't seen this one though ..... :tongue:

Bigfella
24 Feb 14,, 12:09
SIGH......having gone through that BBT video, maybe I won't be putting a tape in after all. I think the funniest thing I found in that video was the sign in the laundry room that said, "Please keep your clothes on while washing clothes".

Isn't there anything out there these days with the quality of Fraiser? Fawlty Towers? WKRP?

Or is it all like what Tom Smothers said: "I'm watching television and I'm not seeing anything. I watch all the cable shows where you should see some looseness and you're not hearing anything. ...There's a general dumbing down of everybody in this country. ...It just kept going and going until it's gotten to the point where it's all mean-spirited and vulgar......"

Have you watched 'The Office'?

The original UK series only ran for about 2 series. It is similar to Fawlty Towers in some ways, though fewer belly laughs. It is sheer genius, but very hard to watch - the central character is so lacking in self-awareness that it can be excruciating. Ricky Gervaise, who wrote & starred in that series, helped to write an American version that ran for a few series more than the UK one. It starred Steve Carrell in the central role. It kept the spirit of the original but played a bit more for laughs & was a bit less excruciating to watch. Most of the central characters are treated sympathetically.

Both are worth checking out.

Tamara
24 Feb 14,, 12:11
I think the comic timing on Big Bang Theory is pretty good.

I haven't seen this one though ..... :tongue:

Left to Right:

Rasputin, Karl Marx, Frederich Engels, and Trotsky

And this is funny because?

I know, I know, I asked for advice.....but I am beginning to think that perhaps I shouldn't have. Maybe I am just destined to be out of touch.

sated buddha
24 Feb 14,, 12:28
There's nothing wrong with being out of touch.

Why do you want to be in touch? To make small conversation the next time you meet someone? More clued-in posts on forums?

Or is it something with a deeper purpose?

Tamara
24 Feb 14,, 12:50
There's nothing wrong with being out of touch.

Why do you want to be in touch? To make small conversation the next time you meet someone? More clued-in posts on forums?

Or is it something with a deeper purpose?

It's just that in a country, if not a world, that exists around TV, I am becoming increasingly isolated.

It may not be a vicious circle as much as it is a self fulfilling prophecy. I look at what people say I should be watching, what everyone is talking about......I look at it and most of it, not only do I find it incredibly stupid, but actually, it makes me want to run from the room screaming.

I can tell myself that I'm just too sophisticated for that but it still comes down to not knowing who is being talked about ever. Not having a clue about who Hoffman was or which one was Miley on the screen or having never heard of Carrie Ann Inaba before last Saturday.

How does someone go from a TV fanatic to essentially zero in a few short years?

In some ways, I'm glad not to be a TV addict anymore because I have a lot more time to do other things, I'm not trying to catch up with this or that show at all because I just don't care.............................

.........................................I just don't care...........................and to me, that's a potential warning sign. Not caring, isolation, perhaps feelings of superiority but then again, who to share it with?

So perhaps I should watch a little more.........but what is there to watch when most it looks so unfun?

sated buddha
24 Feb 14,, 13:38
It's just that in a country, if not a world, that exists around TV, I am becoming increasingly isolated.

It may not be a vicious circle as much as it is a self fulfilling prophecy. I look at what people say I should be watching, what everyone is talking about......I look at it and most of it, not only do I find it incredibly stupid, but actually, it makes me want to run from the room screaming.

I can tell myself that I'm just too sophisticated for that but it still comes down to not knowing who is being talked about ever. Not having a clue about who Hoffman was or which one was Miley on the screen or having never heard of Carrie Ann Inaba before last Saturday.

How does someone go from a TV fanatic to essentially zero in a few short years?

In some ways, I'm glad not to be a TV addict anymore because I have a lot more time to do other things, I'm not trying to catch up with this or that show at all because I just don't care.............................

.........................................I just don't care...........................and to me, that's a potential warning sign. Not caring, isolation, perhaps feelings of superiority but then again, who to share it with?

So perhaps I should watch a little more.........but what is there to watch when most it looks so unfun?

Honestly speaking, I think this would be a good thread for me to follow. Because my wife wants us to cut off cable so that the kids not watch so much TV and study more. A bit drastic but similar experiments in the past have worked, though we have always gone back to TV - mainly when vacations come around, and then it sticks. Till the next time she is on the war path. The TV card is taken out and sent to office with me. The remote is hidden. One day the cables were missing. One day the whole set top box itself.

I can go back to books, and start frequenting the club library again (that reminds me, there is a book I have had for over a year and probably left on one of the flights I have taken in the interim ....). Start riding my bike and am out of the house more. Spend more time at the gym when I know there's no TV back home (but there's only so much time you can be there .....). My problem is not like yours. I actually like TV. And I really miss the news. News time in India is not plain boring dry news and features. Its full on shouting, arguing, fighting, histrionics, soap box pontificating, threats of violence, ripping off of mikes and storming off. Its good TV. :)

If it helps, like you with TV (unfun), I don't get the tripof Twitter and Facebook. I am a card carrying confirmed for life Twitter and Facebook hermit, virgin, call it what you will.

I changed to a smartphone (with a screen instead of buttons) because my kids made me. Because the old one did not have too many games (and their mom's did). And I went along because the new SUV I bought had built in Bluetooth, but my then existing phone did not. I recently discovered Whatsapp. Till then for me it was wassup! And yes, this one also has a camera (gee whiz!)

So yes, like you, other dinosaurs still do roam the earth. Just look out for them. :)

Doktor
24 Feb 14,, 13:53
When I do watch TV with the kid, if it's not science or animals, we watch this cartoon:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e63-QBdyUiY

Tamara, the TV is out, even they know it. You miss nothing. Really.

tankie
24 Feb 14,, 17:07
Best laff ever

Only Fools and Horses Appreciation Society (http://uk.search.yahoo.com/r/_ylt=A7x9QaWcbQtTYyMAXeJLBQx.;_ylu=X3oDMTE1N3FhczJ iBHNlYwNzcgRwb3MDMwRjb2xvA2lyZAR2dGlkA01TWVVLMDNfN zY-/SIG=11d319p8b/EXP=1393286684/**http%3a//www.ofah.net/blog/)

If im watching yank comedy its frazier or everyone loves raymond ,,good satire , used to love rowan n martins laff in as well , and f troop .

Albany Rifles
24 Feb 14,, 17:54
How about watching a book?

Gun Grape
25 Feb 14,, 00:04
I watch 4 shows on TV.

The Walking Dead, Dr Who, 2 1/2 Men and Anger Management.

Other good shows in rerun are the BBC version of Being Human (The SyFi channel version sucks) and Torchwood.

Tamara
25 Feb 14,, 00:51
How about watching a book?

I do that sometimes, well, I do that a lot! Half Price Books is my addiction, my curse. Not a Kindle person here and never will be till it I am forced down, staked out, and it is forced down my throat. I go for the spine!

But equally, I do a lot of diary writing. I'm just as likely to grab the current one and write a few pages as I am to read or watch. Being somewhat sick in bed this day, I have.

I watch 4 shows on TV.

The Walking Dead, Dr Who, 2 1/2 Men and Anger Management.

Other good shows in rerun are the BBC version of Being Human (The SyFi channel version sucks) and Torchwood.

I am forever a Dr. Who fan......of the old world. Bought something like 100 bucks of Tom Baker DVDs last week and I am toying with expanding my collection down to Pertwee and Wendy Padbury.

Brit "Being Human (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1349938/?ref_=nv_sr_2)", huh? (is the link correct?) I'll see if I can look it up. Sci Fi Channel, ALAS!, burned its bridge with me a few years ago and I have long since turned it off.

I'll see if I can give 2 1/2 Men a look tonight.

Stitch
25 Feb 14,, 02:12

I'm kinda in the same boat you are; all the guys here at work look at me like I'm crazy (maybe I am?) when I say I don't watch TV (just movies). But then, I've got better things to do with my time than simply be "entertained". My kids keep me up to speed (or try to) on the latest "trends" (Miley, One Direction, etc.).

Tamara
25 Feb 14,, 03:41
I'm kinda in the same boat you are; all the guys here at work look at me like I'm crazy (maybe I am?) when I say I don't watch TV (just movies). But then, I've got better things to do with my time than simply be "entertained". My kids keep me up to speed (or try to) on the latest "trends" (Miley, One Direction, etc.).

Reminds me of the sales lady when I walked into Best Buy, into the TV section, and she tries to sell me a service. "I don't watch TV".................and I don't. All 4 TV's are hooked to DVD/VCR units, multiples in many cases, and that's what I watch.

Every once in a while, I HAVE to watch TV, such as for an acting class.......and that's when the screaming starts. The Tina Fey show, what's it's name, was okay, but SNL was absolutely terrible.

As far as knowing about popular culture when I have to, well there is usually a web site for that or...... GOD FORBID.......picking up a "People" magazine.

DonBelt
25 Feb 14,, 04:03
TV? My wife and kids control that. I spend my time on WAB.

Tamara
25 Feb 14,, 07:52
Well, as it was, finished off another "A Touch of Frost" tonight, "Private Lives", recorded in 1999......but just getting around now to seeing it.

sated buddha
25 Feb 14,, 08:01
I don't get the Kindle trip either. You cannot curl up on the couch 10 hours straight with a Kindle.

Tamara
25 Feb 14,, 10:49
Well, catching up with one of all those movies I have.

Just watched "Night Train to Munich" (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0032842/?ref_=fn_al_tt_4).

F A N T A S T I C!

Tamara
25 Feb 14,, 18:36
OUCH!

That hurt!

"Academic Risk" of letting a movie affect you emotionally.....and not knowing what may happen next.

For me, "Night Train to Munich" was an excellent movie. Now it might be because I was still, oh you have to forgive the pun, "reeling" from Morituri several weeks ago, but nevertheless, I loved Rex Harrison in that flick!

But with my emotions involved, it tied into the reality of a classmate having her first child this day. And my tensions JUMPED (because I will never know what it is to be with someone and start a family). And then I had to calm them around my pet family. And then, I'm watching a dismal flick, an apocolypsitic one that turns out to be something, well, a little, of a love story.

OH, DAMN! I want to catch up with my movies....................but who would have ever thought that they would tie in so personally?

I got to admit, that's one thing about TV..................odds are, it has no potential for such a tie-in!