PDA

View Full Version : You know those dreams where you are back in class and can't remember......

Tamara
22 Feb 14,, 07:43
Supposedly the meaning is one of anxiety or being unprepared in real life.

Well, I may have another reason now for having those dreams.

I am having students showing up for the first or second time when we are weeks into the course.

"WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN?"

As it is not the kind of class where one gets their notes from their classmate, I am in a certain boat to try to figure out a way to bring them up to speed, if possible, if reasonable.

Maybe. There are limits and I think course wise, I am right at the tipping point.

But GEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE, I have to wonder just how much of the current population of this age are like that, believing that they can show up when they want.

sated buddha
22 Feb 14,, 08:36

I am having students showing up for the first or second time when we are weeks into the course.

"WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN?"

As it is not the kind of class where one gets their notes from their classmate, I am in a certain boat to try to figure out a way to bring them up to speed, if possible, if reasonable.

Maybe. There are limits and I think course wise, I am right at the tipping point.

But GEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE, I have to wonder just how much of the current population of this age are like that, believing that they can show up when they want.

If it helps Tamara, kids were pretty much the same around 20 years ago too (when I was in college). I know there was a non-univ term where my group actually attended the first lectures a couple of months (at least) after the term had begun.

In our defense, we were just having too much fun in and outside the hostel till then to let college get in the way.

P.S.Were you the front bench, multiple pen, hands up in air eager to answer type in school and college? I always wanted to understand the trip of those kids ......

Tamara
22 Feb 14,, 08:51
If it helps Tamara, kids were pretty much the same around 20 years ago too (when I was in college). I know there was a non-univ term where my group actually attended the first lectures a couple of months (at least) after the term had begun.

In our defense, we were just having too much fun in and outside the hostel till then to let college get in the way.

P.S.Were you the front bench, multiple pen, hands up in air eager to answer type in school and college? I always wanted to understand the trip of those kids ......

As a matter of fact, I was! Sat in the front, eager to answer.

As it was, it has saved my turkey quite a few times. In one situation, when I was 19 or 20, where I was on the fringe of getting a D or even flunking a few classes, the prof common to those classes noted those attributes and gave me a C in those classes. In another class, another university, years later, I had slept through the final. The prof said, no problem, gave me an incomplete, see me at the opening of the next semester. In another situation, where I had (but didn't know it) food poisoning, the prof on the morning of the scheduled final, "I was wondering what had happened to you. You never miss class.......GOOD GRIEF! You've got food poisoning! Don't try to take the final now, see me on Friday.".

So it does pay off.

I think it's because I crave attention but also, I tend to bond with a lot of my profs. In fact, one prof in recent years had to "wave me off" because I was monopolizing his time, excluding other students from getting to him.

And the again............................I've been known to flirt with my profs as well.......................

sated buddha
22 Feb 14,, 09:16
As a matter of fact, I was! Sat in the front, eager to answer.

As it was, it has saved my turkey quite a few times. In one situation, when I was 19 or 20, where I was on the fringe of getting a D or even flunking a few classes, the prof common to those classes noted those attributes and gave me a C in those classes. In another class, another university, years later, I had slept through the final. The prof said, no problem, gave me an incomplete, see me at the opening of the next semester. In another situation, where I had (but didn't know it) food poisoning, the prof on the morning of the scheduled final, "I was wondering what had happened to you. You never miss class.......GOOD GRIEF! You've got food poisoning! Don't try to take the final now, see me on Friday.".

So it does pay off.

I think it's because I crave attention but also, I tend to bond with a lot of my profs. In fact, one prof in recent years had to "wave me off" because I was monopolizing his time, excluding other students from getting to him.

And the again............................I've been known to flirt with my profs as well.......................

I'm begining to form a picture in my mind's eye. :)

But to be fair, at least here in India, most girls are like that (not so much the flirting with profs part though .... but that's probably more to do with how old profs here usually are).

Its a comfortable symbiotic relationship for the boys to be honest. Keeps unwanted attention of the profs from us and allows us to fly under the radar most times.

Tamara
22 Feb 14,, 09:30
I'm begining to form a picture in my mind's eye. :)

But to be fair, at least here in India, most girls are like that (not so much the flirting with profs part though .... but that's probably more to do with how old profs here usually are).

Its a comfortable symbiotic relationship for the boys to be honest. Keeps unwanted attention of the profs from us and allows us to fly under the radar most times.

I do not know this show.

When you asked, this was the mental image I got:

As far as flirting, well, for me, it's not sexual, at least not the way most people think sexual, but it is a playfulness that probably risks or assumes a slight bit more of intimacy with a prof or boss (but not with a student or subordinate) than "what is wise".

As far as "not the way most people think sexual", I tend to DUMP all my sexual energy into how I relate to people. So for me, I guess it is sexual, but not in the way most people think sexual.

I think my most infamous flirt was once with a boss. The discussion was about office loyalty to which I told him,

"I'm loyal! I know whose bed I sleep in!"

sated buddha
22 Feb 14,, 09:56
Hermione from the Harry Potter series (the photo you put up) is actually not the typical front bench girl one would think of. The over eager nerdy sexually passive-aggressive type (who usually start waxing/threading/creming later than normal - though that's not the part I meant in your case of course) are more in the mould of Amy, Sheldon's "friend who is a girl", from the Big Bang Theory (the photo I put up).

Doktor
22 Feb 14,, 11:50
"I'm loyal! I know whose bed I sleep in!"

This should be a flirt?

bolo121
22 Feb 14,, 13:24
Almost never caught for any such work in school.
I had a knack where I could become invisible to the teacher even if I was sitting near the first row.
It was so darn useful, no questions on homework, no getting caught when the teacher is asking stuff of the class.

I lost it somewhere along the way though. Would be really useful when the boss is assigning pointless excel files.

Tamara
22 Feb 14,, 17:43
Well, things vary.

In grade school, I'm not sure if I was like that. But not a bad kid, far from that, just not sure if I was so "over eager". I was under my father's control and "plans", so there was no way I was a bad kid. Now in high school, I did sit in the front row but that was a different reason. I needed glasses at that point and didn't like wearing them, so I sat where I could read the board without them.......or right next to the overhead...........which is where I learned to read upside down.

In college, the first time around, I was in this or that regimented ROTC system, so I was often beaten down by other things. Matter of fact, somewhere in that time, I developed a superior to the teacher attitude. Don't want to go back down memory lane to see way though a guess might be that in trying to find my own style, I was mimicking the arrogant ones around me in my own way. Maybe. About junior year, some friends told me what effect that was having on my profs and, LIGHTBULB, and I suddenly became timid again.......though probably too late to repair the damage with those profs.

Curiously enough, I wonder if this post prompted the dream I had after I started it. I was in a Charmed-Navy type world where I was a spirit that could assume form. At first, I was assuming form in a manner and characteristics to tease the Charmed sisters (a lot of Paige, some Phoebe, don't think I saw much of Piper), me who had just enough of the right stuff to get their attention, drive them crazy. Then the dream shifted some to where the day cruise on a ship looked like it was turning into a deployment....and I had only one uniform. But again, I could assume any shape.

Anyhow.....more on that in a moment, back to school!

No, it's only when I was out of the Navy, out from under my father's thumb, that the real me started coming out though that took a while. My early post Navy academic career took about 7 years to kick into high gear. Thinking it was going to be like the first degree, finding out I did not know how to study, learning to study, took a long time to learn that you can't do projects in the last 12 hours, making C's, not knowing what we were suppose to be doing, and so forth. To say nothing about the DISASTERS of being in a 2nd undergrad program where high school was a decade and a half in the past.

Ie, the stuff I had heard biology wise in high school, the popular science type stuff at the time, in 15 years had become accepted theory. But at first, I was in an engineering program, then the Navy, then a computer science program before I started my marine biology program. Then one day in a freshman biology class, I proposed this popular science theory to the prof, in front of my classmates, and boy, was the prof not happy!.............of course, I didn't know then why he wasn't.

No, it took about 7 years for me to learn how to learn, not just to make C's, and then, my academic success took off. One of the things was that I was then taking all my required elective courses, history, psychology, and found that I really liked them. Not only that, but I was in a system where college, for me, was really affordable and I could take side courses. I would find a discipline that thrilled me and take all the courses I could there. Started making the Dean's Lists, an honor society asked me to join it, I was the bright one who sat in front.

So it hasn't always been like that.

Now, getting back to that dream for a moment. Well, in reality, I have a dance rehearsal this afternoon, the first one for this (task) troupe, and I don't know the routine that well yet. So that is weighing on the mind......a little bit. But on the other hand, oh well, if not today, then in time. We don't perform till May. The fearful me competing with the footloose me. So there at least is some of those anxieties to produce a dream like that, not being prepared, back in school, back on the ship.

Rehearsals, so much like acting. The Charmed part of the dream strikes an interesting note to my approach to playing the Felix in an "The Odd Couple" scene. My way of acting is to play the person I want to be who is playing the part in the play. I call those persons subcharacters. And in The Odd Couple, my subcharacter was Aja (AH-Jah), a mischievous immortal spirit who could assume form and there, became a "Felix" to drive "Oscar" nuts by being right next to him, inside his own ranks.

So the dream, if it is analyzed, pulled on the anxieties at hand. It pulled on my acting. And it pulled on my way of flirting where, for a few seconds, I'm playing a part with a prof or a boss....and I may be trying to get their goat.

Like one of my professional acting (me, I'm an amateur!) classmates once told me.......he never knew when I was being real or acting.............I think that's rather a compliment!

Tamara
22 Feb 14,, 17:48
This should be a flirt?

Well......it really caught him short when I said it, anyhow!

bonehead
22 Feb 14,, 19:48
Hermione from the Harry Potter series (the photo you put up) is actually not the typical front bench girl one would think of. The over eager nerdy sexually passive-aggressive type (who usually start waxing/threading/creming later than normal - though that's not the part I meant in your case of course) are more in the mould of Amy, Sheldon's "friend who is a girl", from the Big Bang Theory (the photo I put up).

My mental image was of Arnold Horseshack from the "Welcome back Kotter" show.

bonehead
22 Feb 14,, 19:53
My college professors had a sure fire way to get the students to show up or drop out entirely. Pop quizzes in the first ten minutes of class.

The lesson lost on the younger generation is that you have to treat college like work i.e. the real world. That means forming relationships with and impressing the boss, in this case, the professor.

Doktor
23 Feb 14,, 00:02
My college professors had a sure fire way to get the students to show up or drop out entirely. Pop quizzes in the first ten minutes of class.

The lesson lost on the younger generation is that you have to treat college like work i.e. the real world. That means forming relationships with and impressing the boss, in this case, the professor.

The only con is you have so many bosses with their own attitudes. So hard to please them all.

Tamara
23 Feb 14,, 01:54
Just a side note. At dance rehearsal, everyone else knew..............just about as much as I did, so no worries today.

bonehead
23 Feb 14,, 03:55
The only con is you have so many bosses with their own attitudes. So hard to please them all.

Yeap……just like work.

Doktor
23 Feb 14,, 10:36
Yeap……just like work.

You don't have unions in school to negotiate your grades :matrix:

Tamara
23 Feb 14,, 18:17
A problem with the modern generation is that when you refer to older movies, even the classics, they don't know what you are talking about.

Such as, "Think you used enough dynamite there, Butch?".

Which, I suppose, in some cases, could be an advantage.

Such as when I tell a fantastic story that I'm making up as I go along and my students ask me, "Is that true?"

Give it a few seconds before I answer....."No-o.....," and when I do that, I'm mimicking, at least in my mind's eye, Paul Newman's "Nei-ther......"

Ie......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPqhm36sjVE

bonehead
23 Feb 14,, 18:45
A problem with the modern generation is that when you refer to older movies, even the classics, they don't know what you are talking about.

Such as, "Think you used enough dynamite there, Butch?".

Which, I suppose, in some cases, could be an advantage.

Such as when I tell a fantastic story that I'm making up as I go along and my students ask me, "Is that true?"

Give it a few seconds before I answer....."No-o.....," and when I do that, I'm mimicking, at least in my mind's eye, Paul Newman's "Nei-ther......"

Ie......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPqhm36sjVE

Don't sweat it. That is only the wisdom of age that gives you an advantage over the younger generation.

bonehead
23 Feb 14,, 18:49
You don't have unions in school to negotiate your grades :matrix:

Daddy has a lawyer and in most cases that is good enough. If daddy has enough money to donate for a new library you would be amazed at how many professors will be encouraged to "give the benefit of the doubt" when making the final grades.

Stitch
24 Feb 14,, 17:53

"WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN?"

I did that back in college with one class my first or second year in (ENGL 140A. Introduction to Old English, believe it or not); went to the first couple of classes, and then didn't go back again for a few weeks. Big mistake! I managed to pass the class, but just barely; I still have nightmares about it . . . . . .