'Surplus' giraffe put down at Copenhagen Zoo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'Surplus' giraffe put down at Copenhagen Zoo

I am really pissed and saddened. I was holding Danes as somewhat more caring, maybe that is why the disappointment is so bad.

---

A bid to save a young giraffe from destruction at Copenhagen Zoo has failed, and the giraffe was put down on Sunday morning.

Thousands of people had signed an online petition appealing for a change of heart over the two-year-old called Marius.

The zoo said it had no choice because of its duty to avoid in-breeding.

Marius was killed by a bolt gun, not a lethal injection, which would contaminate the meat.

A post-mortem examination was broadcast live on the internet.

A crowd of visitors, including children, watched as the carcass was skinned, cut up and fed to the lions.

A spokesman for the zoo told the Associated Press the event allowed parents to decide whether their children should watch.

"I'm actually proud because I think we have given children a huge understanding of the anatomy of a giraffe that they wouldn't have had from watching a giraffe in a photo," Stenbaek Bro told AP.

The zoo's scientific director, Bengt Holst, told the BBC he had received death threats but would not alter his style of animal management.

More: BBC News - 'Surplus' giraffe put down at Copenhagen Zoo
    No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Post Mortem results: ''died due to a bloody big bolt through the head''. What else did it die from, they pulled the trigger? I'm amazed that they couldn't re-home this creature then to have an audience while they butcher it to feed the lions is rather macabre.

Comment

Not just any audience, but also kids.

And the director is proud of it.

:puck:

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Originally posted by Doktor View Post
        Not just any audience, but also kids.

And the director is proud of it.

:puck:
        He gave parents the choice..nothing wrong with that.
        Removing a single turd from the cesspool doesn't make any difference.

Comment

Originally posted by dave lukins View Post
          Post Mortem results: ''died due to a bloody big bolt through the head''. What else did it die from, they pulled the trigger? I'm amazed that they couldn't re-home this creature then to have an audience while they butcher it to feed the lions is rather macabre.
          I find it difficult to believe that no other zoo in the world would have taken the animal. However, feeding it to the lions is what happens in the wild. Life isn't always butterflies and cuddly cats.

Comment

Originally posted by bonehead View Post
            I find it difficult to believe that no other zoo in the world would have taken the animal. However, feeding it to the lions is what happens in the wild. Life isn't always butterflies and cuddly cats.
            Actually they refused the offers from others to take the animal.

Comment

If that is the case…he might be OK legally but morally he is a shit bag unless all the captive giraffes are "related" and I don't think that is the case.

Comment

There are surplus humans not surplus giraffe. Bad choice by the Danes, I consider them to be a more liberal and educated lot.
                Last edited by lemontree; 10 Feb 14,, 09:42.

Cheers!...on the rocks!!

Comment

Some times the northern-ish Europeans really scare me.

Poor Marius:

LiveLeak.com - Denmark: Marius the giraffe butchered in front of live audience *GRAPHIC*

Comment

There was actually only one offer (from Sweden), and that was from a zoo that is not part of the EAZA European Zoo Convention.

Originally posted by bonehead View Post
                    unless all the captive giraffes are "related" and I don't think that is the case.
                    Depends on the specific subtype of giraffes. For example all Massai giraffes currently in European zoos are interrelated females coming from a single group population dissolved in 2011.

Comment

Originally posted by kato View Post
                      There was actually only one offer (from Sweden), and that was from a zoo that is not part of the EAZA European Zoo Convention.
                      From OpEd:

The UK's Yorkshire Wildlife Park - which has a state-of-the-art giraffe house and the capacity for an extra male - was among several zoos which put in last-ditch offers to take Marius.

Comment

Danish barbarism

Any Danes care to comment on this as to WTF your country is doing , and why.The animal was offered re'zooing .

Giraffe dead, now Danish children ‘forced to maim otters with hammers’ | The Evening Harold

Comment

so thats one of most advanced countries/communities of the world?

well i prefer to be a little more primitive...

and heres my thoughts about those so-children
                          Attached Files
                          Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none; be able for thine enemy rather in power than use; and keep thy friend under thine own life's key; be checked for silence, but never taxed for speech.

Comment

There is ongoing thread: http://www.worldaffairsboard.com/wor...hagen-zoo.html

Our Dane haven't come up yet.

Comment

Soz didnt realise this had been posted , could mods merge , ta

Comment

Working...
                              X