PDA

View Full Version : 'Surplus' giraffe put down at Copenhagen Zoo

Doktor
10 Feb 14,, 00:23
I am really pissed and saddened. I was holding Danes as somewhat more caring, maybe that is why the disappointment is so bad.

---

A bid to save a young giraffe from destruction at Copenhagen Zoo has failed, and the giraffe was put down on Sunday morning.

Thousands of people had signed an online petition appealing for a change of heart over the two-year-old called Marius.

The zoo said it had no choice because of its duty to avoid in-breeding.

Marius was killed by a bolt gun, not a lethal injection, which would contaminate the meat.

A post-mortem examination was broadcast live on the internet.

A crowd of visitors, including children, watched as the carcass was skinned, cut up and fed to the lions.

A spokesman for the zoo told the Associated Press the event allowed parents to decide whether their children should watch.

"I'm actually proud because I think we have given children a huge understanding of the anatomy of a giraffe that they wouldn't have had from watching a giraffe in a photo," Stenbaek Bro told AP.

The zoo's scientific director, Bengt Holst, told the BBC he had received death threats but would not alter his style of animal management.

More: BBC News - 'Surplus' giraffe put down at Copenhagen Zoo (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-26098935)

dave lukins
10 Feb 14,, 00:31
Post Mortem results: ''died due to a bloody big bolt through the head''. What else did it die from, they pulled the trigger? I'm amazed that they couldn't re-home this creature then to have an audience while they butcher it to feed the lions is rather macabre.

Doktor
10 Feb 14,, 00:47
Not just any audience, but also kids.

And the director is proud of it.

:puck:

bonehead
10 Feb 14,, 01:03

:puck:

He gave parents the choice..nothing wrong with that.

bonehead
10 Feb 14,, 01:07
Post Mortem results: ''died due to a bloody big bolt through the head''. What else did it die from, they pulled the trigger? I'm amazed that they couldn't re-home this creature then to have an audience while they butcher it to feed the lions is rather macabre.

I find it difficult to believe that no other zoo in the world would have taken the animal. However, feeding it to the lions is what happens in the wild. Life isn't always butterflies and cuddly cats.

Doktor
10 Feb 14,, 01:10
I find it difficult to believe that no other zoo in the world would have taken the animal. However, feeding it to the lions is what happens in the wild. Life isn't always butterflies and cuddly cats.

Actually they refused the offers from others to take the animal.

bonehead
10 Feb 14,, 02:24

If that is the case…he might be OK legally but morally he is a shit bag unless all the captive giraffes are "related" and I don't think that is the case.

lemontree
10 Feb 14,, 06:33
There are surplus humans not surplus giraffe. Bad choice by the Danes, I consider them to be a more liberal and educated lot.

citanon
10 Feb 14,, 06:37
Some times the northern-ish Europeans really scare me.

Poor Marius:

LiveLeak.com - Denmark: Marius the giraffe butchered in front of live audience *GRAPHIC* (http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=53b_1391963475)

kato
10 Feb 14,, 08:17
There was actually only one offer (from Sweden), and that was from a zoo that is not part of the EAZA European Zoo Convention.

unless all the captive giraffes are "related" and I don't think that is the case.
Depends on the specific subtype of giraffes. For example all Massai giraffes currently in European zoos are interrelated females coming from a single group population dissolved in 2011.

Doktor
10 Feb 14,, 08:57
There was actually only one offer (from Sweden), and that was from a zoo that is not part of the EAZA European Zoo Convention.
From OpEd:

The UK's Yorkshire Wildlife Park - which has a state-of-the-art giraffe house and the capacity for an extra male - was among several zoos which put in last-ditch offers to take Marius.

tankie
10 Feb 14,, 15:23
Any Danes care to comment on this as to WTF your country is doing , and why.The animal was offered re'zooing . :mad:

Giraffe dead, now Danish children ‘forced to maim otters with hammers’ | The Evening Harold (http://eveningharold.com/2014/02/10/giraffe-dead-now-danish-children-forced-to-maim-otters-with-hammers/#more-162746)

Big K
10 Feb 14,, 15:38
so thats one of most advanced countries/communities of the world?

well i prefer to be a little more primitive...

and heres my thoughts about those so-children

Doktor
10 Feb 14,, 15:39
There is ongoing thread: http://www.worldaffairsboard.com/world-affairs-board-pub/65022-surplus-giraffe-put-down-copenhagen-zoo.html

Our Dane haven't come up yet.

tankie
10 Feb 14,, 15:56
Soz didnt realise this had been posted , could mods merge , ta

tankie
10 Feb 14,, 15:58
Cheers dok , can mods please merge ?

tankie
10 Feb 14,, 16:28
Seems its not just the Danish .

Longleat lioness and cubs put down leaving staff in tears | Mail Online (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2554916/Outrage-lioness-cubs-pride-Longleat-leaving-staff-tears.html)

Bigfella
10 Feb 14,, 20:47
Any Danes care to comment on this as to WTF your country is doing , and why. :mad:

Giraffe dead, now Danish children ‘forced to maim otters with hammers’ | The Evening Harold (http://eveningharold.com/2014/02/10/giraffe-dead-now-danish-children-forced-to-maim-otters-with-hammers/#more-162746)

Tankie,

Tell me that you knew this article was a joke....please!

The giraffe thing is real, but the rest is satire.

tankie
10 Feb 14,, 20:59
Tankie,

Tell me that you knew this article was a joke....please!

The giraffe thing is real, but the rest is satire.

Yup saw them butcher the giraffe , soz but the link was all as you see it , as for the inter breeds with hammers , yup they aint gerrin my tourist dollars either :biggrin:

Doktor
10 Feb 14,, 21:02
In case you are fresh out of Krones, they accept Pounds, too :whome:

tankie
10 Feb 14,, 21:15
In case you are fresh out of Krones, they accept Pounds, too :whome:

Did an ex in Denmark early 70's , visited Copenhagen , tivoli , little mermaid etc a lovely city , the booze then was ultra expensive , I knew then this was my 1st n last visit :tankie:

Doktor
10 Feb 14,, 21:23
Why killing Marius the giraffe was justified - even though it's a PR disaster | World news | The Guardian (http://www.theguardian.com/travel/shortcuts/2014/feb/10/why-killing-marius-giraffe-justified?CMP=fb_gu)

Parihaka
10 Feb 14,, 21:40
Threads merged, my only question is, are they tasty critters. I guess only the lions can answer that.

FJV
11 Feb 14,, 00:27

It used to be quite common for kids to watch when the local butcher slaughtered a cow or a pig.

While it may not be regarded as appropriate nowadays, in my opinion kids should at least know where their hamburger comes from.

bonehead
11 Feb 14,, 04:42
so thats one of most advanced countries/communities of the world?

well i prefer to be a little more primitive...

and heres my thoughts about those so-children

I really need to have a t shirt with that on it.

Big K
11 Feb 14,, 05:51
He gave parents the choice..nothing wrong with that.

theres something hugely wrong with those parents!

tbm3fan
11 Feb 14,, 09:07
Did an ex in Denmark early 70's , visited Copenhagen , tivoli , little mermaid etc a lovely city , the booze then was ultra expensive , I knew then this was my 1st n last visit :tankie:

Well then you just didn't know where to go. During the summer of 1976 I traveled up to Copenhagen from Amsterdam and met two other Americans on the train. After a little issue with German border guards on the train asking me why I didn't have my passport, it was 2 cars back, as I was up front visiting I arrived safely. The three of us check in to a hotel and then head right off to the Carlsberg Brewery. FREE!

What a trip. Most of the crowd were Germans and after the tour we were brought to a big hall. Here the tables were full of soft drinks and various Tuborg and Carlsberg beers. The kids got the soda and the adults the beers. No limits either as you could finish what was on the tables. After many German beer songs the three of us walked out blitzed and headed back to the hotel to crash.

When we woke up at 8:30 that evening we went out to find something to eat. I must say you Europeans are a strange lot as most everything was closed by that time on a Saturday evening. Oh well, we wake up Sunday and everyone is saying Happy Birthday to us??? Oh, 4th of July. Hit Tivoli that night were there are fireworks and more free drinks from the Danes to us Americans.

That plus no ice and warm sodas in the UK... you barbarians! While I have the chance, finally.

tbm3fan
11 Feb 14,, 09:08

I don't know about that. Watched the video and didn't see one kid turning away, closing their eyes or going eeck.

Doktor
11 Feb 14,, 09:19
It used to be quite common for kids to watch when the local butcher slaughtered a cow or a pig.
It was also common 13 year old to have kids and to work hard labor jobs. Is it common now?

While it may not be regarded as appropriate nowadays, in my opinion kids should at least know where their hamburger comes from.
Unless you breed lion, giraffe ain't the source ;)

Oracle
11 Feb 14,, 09:37
If inbreeding was a problem, why didn't they release it in the wild, say somewhere in Africa. Tragic, what happened to such a beautiful animal. OTOH, if given a chance, I'd like to taste the meat.

Big K
11 Feb 14,, 13:25
I don't know about that. Watched the video and didn't see one kid turning away, closing their eyes or going eeck.

kids as you know are tabula rasa... you get what you give... experience of death is an important one to be taught very cautiously.

bonehead
11 Feb 14,, 14:01

How so? Butchering an animal is nothing any farm kid, or children of hunters haven't seen. Most kids think hamburger come from some magical machine that just spits it out. The concept that for you to live things must die needs to be learned. There is a cost associated with life and people who know this have a greater appreciation of their lives. Who more than the parents would know when their kids are ready for that lesson.

Big K
11 Feb 14,, 15:21
How so? Butchering an animal is nothing any farm kid, or children of hunters haven't seen. Most kids think hamburger come from some magical machine that just spits it out. The concept that for you to live things must die needs to be learned. There is a cost associated with life and people who know this have a greater appreciation of their lives. Who more than the parents would know when their kids are ready for that lesson.

and that giraffe should die for???... being "surplus"? or there was absolutely NO way to teach them things you stated?

i already sad that concept of death should be taught but not this way.

this means to a child that dumping/killing things/animals-people maybe?- that we dont need anymore is OK because they can be costly.

about magical machines that spit burgers; two wrongs dont do one right.

tankie
11 Feb 14,, 15:57
Having been a hunter/fisher , everything I killed was eaten , the point about the Giraffe is its not normally hunted or farmed , it was offered re,zooing in other countries which would have ensured no possibility of incest breeding , it was refused for this charade to take place , if education is needed of this type , go to a slaughter house and learn there , then maybe , hamburgers will be off the menu n macdonalds profits go down , not that im against burgers or profits , let "education" commence , but NEVER in zoos in public of perfectly healthy animals which in the 1st place are in zoos for peoples , enjoyment and "education" and should also preserve the existence of species ,,, heres a thought , lets butcher the people who's husbandry allowed the inter breeding in the 1st place .

Big K
11 Feb 14,, 18:52
btw i have an idea.

the children also needs sexual education.

so why dont we put those f.... b...s in to that zoo's cages,

in an appropriate position,

during the mating periodes of the animals?

lets start with giraffes...

Doktor
11 Feb 14,, 19:04
You can dress em like zebras :biggrin:

bigross86
11 Feb 14,, 20:35
Threads merged, my only question is, are they tasty critters. I guess only the lions can answer that.

Did you know that giraffes are actually Kosher animals? They aren't eaten today because Kosher slaughtering demands that the trachea, esophagus, carotid arteries, jugular veins and vagus nerve are all cut in one motion, one slice. Because of the giraffe's long neck, a slaughterer would have a hard time determining where is the appropriate place to make that one slice, and so it was just decided not to slaughter giraffes.

Of course, with modern technology, we can now determine where to make that one slice, but it was decided that due to tradition, giraffes are no longer slaughtered.

MrSecond
11 Feb 14,, 20:52

I'm not a kid but I didn't know our hamburgers come from zoo.
I actually always thought a zoo is a place to watch alive animals, not to cut them into pieces. :rolleyes:

omon
11 Feb 14,, 20:54
the problem i see here, (besides killing perfectly healthy young animal), is that not all kids will take that demonstration the right way, some might just want to find out what is inside neighbors dog, or a cat.

Doktor
11 Feb 14,, 21:10
the problem i see here, (besides killing perfectly healthy young animal), is that not all kids will take that demonstration the right way, some might just want to find out what is inside neighbors dog, or a cat.

Yep, that right is reserved for the adults.

Mihais
11 Feb 14,, 22:06
Yep, that right is reserved for the adults.

You mean the adults need to be sliced open,instead of pet animals? :tongue:

I could give you an adress or two.:rolleyes:

Regarding the poor animal,I'm quite sure the environmentalist would have paid it's transport to the wilderness of Africa.Heck, I'd give money to such a cause.I'd also be aware that some idiots with AK's would have killed it anyway.

FJV
11 Feb 14,, 22:55
btw i have an idea.

the children also needs sexual education.

so why dont we put those f.... b...s in to that zoo's cages,

in an appropriate position,

during the mating periodes of the animals?

lets start with giraffes...

Actually it used to be quite common for kids to watch when the local farmer was breeding horses or cattle.

tankie
13 Feb 14,, 10:25

Regarding the poor animal,I'm quite sure the environmentalist would have paid it's transport to the wilderness of Africa.Heck, I'd give money to such a cause.I'd also be aware that some idiots with AK's would have killed it anyway.

Not much point , no tusks ;)

Doktor
13 Feb 14,, 11:00

Dear Honorable Madam/Sir,

We are delighted to invite on a wild safari in our exclusive all in resort,

blah, blah, blah... ALL INCLUSIVE, blah, blah...

RSVP not later then XX.XX.XXXX.

By registering for this offer you relieve us from any responsibility of any accident that might result in injury or death.

YellowFever
13 Feb 14,, 18:57
BBC News - Second Danish zoo may kill a giraffe called Marius (http://bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-26167925)

Uh oh....

Let the firestorm begin anew...

tankie
14 Feb 14,, 21:30
Benny ?????

Denmark outlaws Jewish and Muslim ritual slaughter as of next week | JPost | Israel News (http://www.jpost.com/Jewish-World/Jewish-News/Denmark-outlaws-Jewish-and-Muslim-ritual-slaughter-as-of-next-week-341433)

Doktor
14 Feb 14,, 21:39
Benny ?????

Denmark outlaws Jewish and Muslim ritual slaughter as of next week | JPost | Israel News (http://www.jpost.com/Jewish-World/Jewish-News/Denmark-outlaws-Jewish-and-Muslim-ritual-slaughter-as-of-next-week-341433)
They lose huge customer base in one move.

Big K
15 Feb 14,, 09:00
Benny ?????

animal rights before everything

and killing giraffes,

yes sir it fits well....

in a psychcotic horror movie :)

btw as a Muslim, i am also not a fan of that religious custom.