PDA

View Full Version : Young Whiz Kid Stuff!

Tamara
04 Feb 14,, 10:27
Part of the fun of answering the phones here at night at this Mission Control type place
is that people believe, as it appears, since you are at this kind of place, that you know about the newest best gadget.

Such as that hergenscheimer thingy chromecast. When the question came through, I honestly thought it was some new kind of browser.

Well as things go, I was correct about one thing.....it would take me hours and days to learn about it, let alone supply any answers for it. I'm reading here on wiki....and rereading.....and rereading and only getting maybe 25% of the meaning. It's sort of like listening to Lyle Swann.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQj_Lz1p_Jg&list=PL_gLt_JhTk_F6VFICspX0L8okMcQkeMc9

Stream TV? It may be hard to believe but there are some of us who don't do things like that. We want the "data" in our hot little hands. But then again.......my boss can't understand of why I would watch VHS when there is Blu ray (because it's cheaper!)

Anyhow, it reminds me of the 90's in way when people would join my section and be expecting the place to be like CIC on an AEGIS cruiser.........only to find out we were using dumb terminals with command directed interface prompts.

Doktor
04 Feb 14,, 10:48
Are you talking about Google's Chromecast?

I would never buy a hardware from Google.

Tamara
04 Feb 14,, 11:15
Are you talking about Google's Chromecast?

I would never buy a hardware from Google.

That's the gizmo!

Reminds me when my sister in law bought me a blu ray for my birthday once. A few months later, she's asking me how I like it.

"Oh, it's pretty good. I've watched a blu ray or two on it."

"NO-OOOO! That's not what you are suppose to do with it!"........which left me confused.

Turns out what she got me was a unit with a built in wireless receiver and I was suppose to be streaming things to it.......and streaming is just something I don't do.

Once upon a time, I bought the first season of "A Touch of Frost" from Amazon, thinking I could download it and store it on my computer. Not the way it works. If I want to watch it, I have to log into Amazon and watch it "there". Course, I could probably watch it on the TV with the HDMI cable, but it does bug me for something that I bought I don't get to keep it in my library.

Quite frankly, streaming sounds as wise and safe as buying stock in the 1920's.

bigross86
04 Feb 14,, 19:56
And this is yet another area where, unfortunately, you are far out of touch with the rest of the modern world.

Streaming is just another natural step in the evolution of the internet. Ask Pari about push-media and pull-media, and the differences between regularly scheduled TV and streaming whatever you want, whenever you want.

If you want, you can download movies/TV shows, it doesn't really make a difference if you download them or stream them.

That being said, since so many people stream things, and since 100 hours of video are uploaded to YouTube every minute (according to YouTube), then having a gizmo that connects via your own secured WiFi network, allowing you to broadcast things from your computer to your TV only makes perfect sense. This way, even if you have an older laptop that doesn't have an HDMI port (yes, they still exist), you can still broadcast from your TV.

One of the popular things to do today is to have friends over and watch funny YouTube videos. Chromecast makes it much more easier.

Stitch
04 Feb 14,, 21:01
And this is yet another area where, unfortunately, you are far out of touch with the rest of the modern world.

Streaming is just another natural step in the evolution of the internet. Ask Pari about push-media and pull-media, and the differences between regularly scheduled TV and streaming whatever you want, whenever you want.

If you want, you can download movies/TV shows, it doesn't really make a difference if you download them or stream them.

That being said, since so many people stream things, and since 100 hours of video are uploaded to YouTube every minute (according to YouTube), then having a gizmo that connects via your own secured WiFi network, allowing you to broadcast things from your computer to your TV only makes perfect sense. This way, even if you have an older laptop that doesn't have an HDMI port (yes, they still exist), you can still broadcast from your TV.

One of the popular things to do today is to have friends over and watch funny YouTube videos. Chromecast makes it much more easier.

Truth be told, this IS where the media is headed, I'm afraid network TV is all but dead. My co-worker/friend and I often bemoan the fact that CD's are the 21st century version of vinyl records; NOBODY buys CD's anymore except us old guys, everybody's doing MP3 and streaming (even my wife, who's not much younger than me). My kids tell me I should donate my 500-CD collection to the Smithsonian . . . . .

Parihaka
04 Feb 14,, 21:31
TV's in the classical sense no longer exist. What is now sold are display screens of various sizes some of which have legacy television functions.
The major function of these display screens, from ipad/laptop size to the largest 'tv's', is to connect (usually wireless) to a box or series of boxes that stream whatever broadband data you want.
In my case all the various boxes (including an old PC to rule them all) I've wired in under the house in a box, which I visit once a month just in case the weather or a mouse or some such might be trying to gain access to them.
Every form of media required is then streamed via wireless throughout the house and section. All information, whether radio, tv or internet comes into my house via a teensy wee cable.

Albany Rifles
04 Feb 14,, 21:39
I am waiting for someone to channel their inner Egon Krenz and say "Print is dead."

bigross86
04 Feb 14,, 22:42
Not gonna say that TV is dead, but TV as we once knew it is dead.

Once upon a time, you had 5-7 channels (if you were lucky). I remember when I was a kid in the US, it was CBS, NBC, ABC, Fox and PBS. That's it. And you watched what they broadcast, when they broadcast it. If you were lucky, maybe you had a VCR hooked and knew how to use it to record.

That just doesn't work today. Even the simplest cable/satellite package comes with recording capabilities (mine has 500 hours worth), and most providers offer a VOD service as well.

The problem is that most networks still haven't realized that. I remember Pari lamenting this about a year and a half ago, that his senior management just didn't get it.

Doktor
04 Feb 14,, 23:09
You know why you have 500 channels today? Because they had a fix before streaming. You want to know the temperature in Oslo next week, turn onto weather channel, it's there in the next 3 minutes. Wanna check if a nuke exploded somewhere and WW3 started? In which language?

Actually, this was a talk some 10-15 years ago about who will eat whom, telecoms the TV stations or the other way around. Seems the ISPs won this one.

Tamara
05 Feb 14,, 03:46
Well, Network TV and for that matter, most of the other TV is dead to me anyhow. Network TV because I got tired, after all those years of being jerked around. Take FOX for instance with their killing good shows right and left because they think they have something better coming up. Or NBC with their anti gun stance. So I stopped watching them. Add to it that most of the stuff on the other channels is GARBAGE and I just stopped watching completely.

Well, that's not quite true. I may have become a follower of Los Heroes del Norte
but perhaps it is because I don't know what they are staying that I haven't been turned off yet.

You know why you have 500 channels today? Because they had a fix before streaming. You want to know the temperature in Oslo next week, turn onto weather channel, it's there in the next 3 minutes. Wanna check if a nuke exploded somewhere and WW3 started? In which language?............

Really? Where? What system?

I asked my cable company if they could supply me with channels other than English or Spanish and they told me they didn't have the capability.

As it is, if I want something in a foreign language, I order the DVD.

To find more interesting news than what passes for news today in America, I have to go to the Spanish channels, but even then, it is usually more "local".

The point is that it seems for this great world wide system that was suppose to enlighten our world, it isn't. It doesn't. I thought ESPN was going to bring me sports around the world; at night I may see a US ball game, but during the day, it is just talking heads. Years ago, when Mom was alive and had satellite, she got the Nat'l Geo channel and I was thinking of trying to get that. Well, now, in a little bit more than a decade, while my cable provider does have it, the channel is trash.

So what's the point of getting any system provider since what is out there is not worth watching?

Truth be told, this IS where the media is headed, I'm afraid network TV is all but dead. My co-worker/friend and I often bemoan the fact that CD's are the 21st century version of vinyl records; NOBODY buys CD's anymore except us old guys, everybody's doing MP3 and streaming (even my wife, who's not much younger than me). My kids tell me I should donate my 500-CD collection to the Smithsonian . . . . .

Or us CHEAP SKATES! Demonstrated that the other day with the death of Hoffman. For about 6 bucks, before S&H, I could get 14 of his movies (one got axed from the order). Granted, I am buying up on the surplus stocks and like the WW III ammo surplus, someday it will be gone, but for the time being, it is out there.

BUT.........once again, there is that problem again. What's the point of going with the new medium when what they put on it these days is trash?

Maybe not. I talked with our technical guy, he builds our data centers, this morning; he had never heard of it either.

Well, there are at least two differences to the old world. First of all, if your supplier loses their license to what you like, such as Netflix did a year or two ago, then you lose access to what you through them. Secondly, how do you know it hasn't been censored, altered, if the provider is the one who does the storage? Looking at it from that angle seems to make just about as much sense as having gun rights but having them stored someplace in town.

Call me paranoid, but in today's PC witchhunt world, I'd rather make it just a little bit more difficult for people to be able to know what I am watching. Rather have it come in through wires that through radio signals.

"Secured WIFI"?

Internet Firms Release Data on NSA Requests - ABC News (http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/wireStory/internet-firms-release-data-nsa-spy-requests-22351154)

Sorry it has come to that. If I am out with friends, it usually has something to do with dancing.