PDA

View Full Version : Wow.......maybe I ought to get out more

Tamara
02 Feb 14,, 22:01
On my FB page, many friends are full remorse with the passing of actor Philip Seymour Hoffman.

I am not going to tread on their regret by asking who is he...................................

......................but really, I don't think I've ever heard of him. Going to IMDB, I went through his list of movies and most of them, I have never heard of. None of them I have ever seen..........although I do think I have "My Boyfriend's Back" (I'm a Traci Lind fan) in the library.

Long story short, maybe I ought to build a draw bridge in that wall I have put around myself to deny contamination of what passes for movies today........and come out every once in a while.

Maybe.

Doktor
02 Feb 14,, 23:05
You never watched the Dude?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmA-WSNhmRQ

Oh, and he also won an Oscar.

Yes, you might want to get out more often.

Tamara
02 Feb 14,, 23:58
You never watched the Dude?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmA-WSNhmRQ

Oh, and he also won an Oscar.

Yes, you might want to get out more often.

NOPE!

Never seen it.

Hard to say about getting out more. It seems every time I turn on the TV to see what the rest of the country is watching, I essentially end up running screaming from the room in about 15 minutes.

Combine that with the horror stories of what movie audiences are like now and the high movie prices, well, it makes it a very high wall to get over.

It's interesting in that ever so often, I wonder, "What ever happened to.......?" and go looking. Like Geraint Wyn Davies. It seems to me that after American Psycho II, he disappeared off the face of the planet. Checking, of course he didn't, but it just seems that he, like so many others, are acting in stories I don't find interesting.

SIGH. It makes it a very tough issue as that I am an actress of a sort, amateur, I do it for fun, but I spend so very little time studying the industry. The first time I ever saw a Seinfeld episode was in movie making class.

It makes it interesting. I can play Joan of Arc's lawyer to the hilt on a whim, know all the details, but as someone pointed out in that same class, "The catch is, I don't think 'Tamm' knows who Dr. Oz is.".

Doktor
03 Feb 14,, 00:28
I had a long reply that I deleted on purpose.

Short story, keep some faith in the people and get rid of that negative attitude.

So what if you don't like the movie? Or if the food is baked a bit too much, or if it's raining, or whateve... You can't have it your own way 100% of the time all the times.

Tamara
03 Feb 14,, 00:59
Well, it is not like I'm a couch potato.

I do get out. I get out to dance, to teach, to watch plays, to do ren fests, to workshops, to camp, and so forth.

It's just that when it comes to celeberties and other aspects of pop culture, I'm clueless. I don't I knew who Justin B. was till about two months ago.

Further, those movies I do see and love are often those people rake over the coals.

I suppose it just for the things that a great many go for, I am busy doing something else.

bonehead
03 Feb 14,, 07:38
He has been in quite a few colorful roles. Sadly though he will be remembered for dying with a needle in his arm. He made some stupid choices in his past regarding drugs and it came back to bite him.

bonehead
03 Feb 14,, 07:40
NOPE!

Never seen it.

I think I hear S2 crying in a dark room somewhere.

Tamara
03 Feb 14,, 08:13

O-kay......................................but like the 007 villain said, "You must forgive me but not being British, I often find your humor hard to follow."

So I'm afraid I don't get the intent.

Doktor
03 Feb 14,, 09:12

Nothing few White Russians can't solve.

Bigfella
03 Feb 14,, 09:15
I'm sure S2 will abide. :biggrin:

Bigfella
03 Feb 14,, 09:18
Tamara,

Hoffman was one of the great actors of his generation. Perhaps because he was physically nondescript he managed to become characters in a way many actors never quite do. he was the sort of guy you could see in a half dozen film roles without realizing it was him, and then finally get hit with that 'oh...THAT guy' moment. One of the reasons he is getting attention today is that he was in 'Hunger Games' and thus caught the attention of a lot of 20 somethings who would not otherwise have paid him much attention. Worth catching some of his work.

BTW, watch 'The Big Lebowski'. People either love it or hate it. Favourite of mine. Hoffman has a minor role, but carries it off well.

Doktor
03 Feb 14,, 09:26
What do you mean people hate it? :confused:

Bigfella
03 Feb 14,, 09:30
What do you mean people hate it? :confused:

I know. shocking! :eek: Some folks don't get the eclectic & somewhat scattergun humour. I was sold by the krautrock band featuring Flea & Amiee Mann & wielding a cricket bat & a marmot. I was always going to love any film with that combination.

bonehead
03 Feb 14,, 09:31
O-kay......................................but like the 007 villain said, "You must forgive me but not being British, I often find your humor hard to follow."

So I'm afraid I don't get the intent.

His avatar is "the dude"

Tamara
03 Feb 14,, 09:35
Pity he had to die for me to find out about him. Normally when it comes down to "watch someone", I do a sweep of their movies, ordering them. But with his death, there's bound to be a rush on them, either people buying them or sellers upping the price, so that's out of the question for the next few months at least.

"Of his generation", huh? That probably explains why no one seems to be taking a note of Maximilian Schell, a name I did know, who died on Saturday. Sorry about that Max, but that's the way it goes, you know? You work hard for years and then some young punk comes in and steals it all away.

SIGH, at least with Max's flicks, I could still probably do a reasonable buying sweep though I have a number of his flicks already.

However, let me go through the list of his flicks, see what I might be interested in watching. The thing is, movies about people making miserable wrecks of themselves just isn't my cup of tea.

Tamara
03 Feb 14,, 10:15
Well, as it turns out, I did see one of his flicks once, "Montana". Going through the lists, I recalled, barely, seeing that once....don't recall him in it.

Got 11 of his flicks lined up for order, cost: $4.86..........plus the $40-44 total processing fees. "Montana" isn't one of them.

Patch Adams
Next Stop, Wonderland
State and Main
Along Came Polly
Charlie Wilson's War
The Invention of Lying
Pirate Radio
The Big Lebowski
Synecdoche New York
Jack Goes Boating
Cold Mountain

Doktor
03 Feb 14,, 10:25
While at it, if you haven't already, I'd recommend you to make a similar list of Guy Ritchie's (director) movies. When he was not married to Madonna :biggrin:

While he is still alive and all that.

Tamara
03 Feb 14,, 10:49
While at it, if you haven't already, I'd recommend you to make a similar list of Guy Ritchie's (director) movies. When he was not married to Madonna :biggrin:

Sure you aren't fronting for the house?

Okay,

Rock....
Revo.....
Lock....
Snatch

Bigfella
03 Feb 14,, 10:50
Can also recommend 'Boogie nights'. Another supporting role, but a knockout one.

Tamara
03 Feb 14,, 10:53
Can also recommend 'Boogie nights'. Another supporting role, but a knockout one.

You can.......but I might already have that in the library, so that's why it wasn't included.

Doktor
03 Feb 14,, 11:05
Sure you aren't fronting for the house?
I am out already.

Tamara
03 Feb 14,, 11:23
Rather interesting, 16 movies (including Fatman & Littleboy), $7.52 movie cost, between $56-$64 in processing fees. I know it's the processing fees in which people make money.....but still.

Tamara
20 Jun 14,, 18:29

Well, I'm watching one of his flicks right now, "Snatch", and I rather think one of my cats constantly yowling to let her sister out to play is a blessing, not an interruption.

Seriously, I can't see what the interest in the movie is, can't see the point. The lines are garbled, the constant shifting of locations with their emphasis distracting, the repeated close ups irritating, the side imagery when something is said is an insult to the audience's intelligence, and the need for narration essentially tells me that a movie maker can't make a movie, tell a story. That impression is only in the first twenty minutes or so.

I'll give it a full run; afterall, I do own the copy. It does, however, seem like what Mr. Shatner said on SNL long ago. Something about a colossal waste of time.

Tamara
22 Jun 14,, 20:39
Okay, I take it back. It's not that bad of a movie..................................

...............................ONCE YOU TURN ON THE ENGLISH SUBTITLES TO SEE WHAT EVERYONE IS SAYING!

I was 90% through the flick when I decided to go back and do that and it made a world of difference. Things suddenly became more understandable, enjoyable.

Now, about every boy in the flick (and it's about 98% boys) using the F word in practically every other sentence................................

Goatboy
22 Jun 14,, 20:44
Okay, I take it back. It's not that bad of a movie..................................

...............................ONCE YOU TURN ON THE ENGLISH SUBTITLES TO SEE WHAT EVERYONE IS SAYING!

I was 90% through the flick when I decided to go back and do that and it made a world of difference. Things suddenly became more understandable, enjoyable.

Now, about every boy in the flick (and it's about 98% boys) using the F word in practically every other sentence................................

See "Doubt". If you want to see Phillip Seymour Hoffman upstage Meryl Streep (if that's even possible), then that would be the one to see.

Tamara
23 Jun 14,, 05:16
See "Doubt". If you want to see Phillip Seymour Hoffman upstage Meryl Streep (if that's even possible), then that would be the one to see.

Actually, I'd rather not see Phillip at all.

So far in the the two movies of his I've seen, Polly and Pirate, I've seen him been a jerk and I have to wonder does he play anything else? Is he playing himself?

But people have said what a great actor he was and I have this handful of his flicks, so I'll eventually get around to more of him.

But so far, he doesn't impress me much.

Oracle
23 Jun 14,, 06:25

You really had to recommend 'Boogie Nights'. Julianne Moore and Heather Graham were too, well, glamorous. :)

Superb actor. Cold Mountain, Moneyball, Charlie Wilson's War, Hunger Games.

Goatboy
23 Jun 14,, 06:36
Actually, I'd rather not see Phillip at all.

So far in the the two movies of his I've seen, Polly and Pirate, I've seen him been a jerk and I have to wonder does he play anything else? Is he playing himself?

But people have said what a great actor he was and I have this handful of his flicks, so I'll eventually get around to more of him.

But so far, he doesn't impress me much.

Wow, you really haven't seen him act. I never saw Polly, but if I had seen it, I wouldn't expect much from a 2004 chick flick staring Jennifer Aniston (not dissing on her at all, my wife and I love the sitcom Friends). And Pirates of the Caribbean? Never saw any of those, but similar argument. I'd throw those movies away if you're going to judge his acting on those.

Doubt, Capote < -- lead roles where he cements his Oscar worthy status.
Boogie Nights, Almost Famous,The Big Lebowski, 25th Hour, The Talented Mr. Ripley. < ------Great character actor showcasing his huge repertoire of acting personalities

All these movies are absolute classics.

Tamara
23 Jun 14,, 08:37
Wow, you really haven't seen him act. I never saw Polly, but if I had seen it, I wouldn't expect much from a 2004 chick flick staring Jennifer Aniston (not dissing on her at all, my wife and I love the sitcom Friends). And Pirates of the Caribbean? Never saw any of those, but similar argument. I'd throw those movies away if you're going to judge his acting on those.

Doubt, Capote < -- lead roles where he cements his Oscar worthy status.
Boogie Nights, Almost Famous,The Big Lebowski, 25th Hour, The Talented Mr. Ripley. < ------Great character actor showcasing his huge repertoire of acting personalities

All these movies are absolute classics.

Well, the topic subject is about a man I didn't know about till he was dead.

As far as "Friends" goes, have never seen a complete episode except for one. Found the show boring.

Hoffman wasn't in PoTC......he was in "Pirate Radio".

Part of the big picture is whether or not the movie in question would interest me at all. I have no interest in seeing Capote, MI: 3, Red Dragon, or maybe a few other flicks. Doesn't matter who is in it; read the book on Hannibal, don't want to see any of the flicks.

Equally, have my doubts about seeing Doubt for the 3rd or 4th time. Seen it at least once on stage, probably twice, and perhaps again in a video of another stage performance. It's fine as a play.................but I don't think I would trust anyone who made a movie out of it.

I'll continue going slowly through the movies of his I do have, maybe Cold Mountain next. I can get a kick out of Nicole.

Doktor
23 Jun 14,, 09:32

Which movie you talk about?

Goatboy
23 Jun 14,, 09:47
Equally, have my doubts about seeing Doubt for the 3rd or 4th time. Seen it at least once on stage, probably twice, and perhaps again in a video of another stage performance. It's fine as a play.................but I don't think I would trust anyone who made a movie out of it.

I guess I just don't understand your reasoning. How is a stage performance of Doubt relevant to whether the movie will work? But ignore that for the moment. Are you telling me that you wouldn't "trust anyone" who made this movie when (count em) FOUR actors were EACH nominated for Academy awards?

Best Performance by an Actress in a Leading Role = Meryl Streep
Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role = Philip Seymour Hoffman
Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role = Amy Adams
Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role = Viola Davis

There's simply too much cinematic respect bestowed upon this film from countless sources to warrant a casual dismissal of the film -- without actually having seen it in my opinion. But, we all have our likes and dislikes I guess :)

Tamara
23 Jun 14,, 10:13
Which movie you talk about?

Snatch

Doktor
23 Jun 14,, 10:22
Snatch

That's one hell of a movie, but for entertaining purposes only. Nothing deep or spectacular. Time killer if you will.

Tamara
23 Jun 14,, 10:28
I guess I just don't understand your reasoning. How is a stage performance of Doubt relevant to whether the movie will work? But ignore that for the moment. Are you telling me that you wouldn't "trust anyone" who made this movie when (count em) FOUR actors were EACH nominated for Academy awards?

Best Performance by an Actress in a Leading Role = Meryl Streep
Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role = Philip Seymour Hoffman
Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role = Amy Adams
Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role = Viola Davis

There's simply too much cinematic respect bestowed upon this film from countless sources to warrant a casual dismissal of the film -- without actually having seen it in my opinion. But, we all have our likes and dislikes I guess :)

What is this "Academy Awards"?

Okay, I'm joshing with you but the point is I don't care about the Academy Awards. Whether a movie got the award, whether a player got the prize, I don't care.

For one thing, for those who give awards and for my opinion, there's often a vast difference in what is liked.

But there you go.

But then again.....I liked "First Family", "The Man with One Red Shoe", and "Deal of the Century".

Tamara
23 Jun 14,, 10:30
That's one hell of a movie, but for entertaining purposes only. Nothing deep or spectacular. Time killer if you will.

Well, you did recommend it, after all.

Further, I agree that it's nothing deep......rather a boy's flick.

Goatboy
23 Jun 14,, 15:13
But then again.....I liked "First Family", "The Man with One Red Shoe", and "Deal of the Century".

I concur with the last two, great flicks. Plus anything with 80s Chevy rocks ;)