Student from Arunachal 'beaten to death' in south Delhi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Student from Arunachal 'beaten to death' in south Delhi

NEW DELHI: A college student from Arunachal Pradesh was allegedly beaten to death at Lajpat Nagar in south Delhi, Times Now reported.

According to reports, Nido Taniam, a student from Arunachal Pradesh, along with his friends, had gone to Lajpat Nagar market on Wednesday (January 29). Taniam, a first year student, had reportedly gone to Lajpat Nagar with three friends on Wednesday afternoon, and was looking for an address when someone at a sweet shop started mocking him.

Police sources say a fight erupted in which Taniam broke a glass at the shop.

A group of seven or eight local men then allegedly beat him with sticks and rods. Someone called the police, which reportedly arrived at the spot and took the four students away but inexplicably dropped them back at the same place after a while.

There were allegedly beaten again, sources added.

Meanwhile, the victim's cousins have claimed that Taniam was targeted because of his hairstyle.

The Aam Aadmi Party has put the onus on Delhi police over the death of Arunachal student.

"Whoever is responsible for the attack on Arunachal student must be given stringent punishment," Dilip Pandey, AAP leader, said.

The shopkeeper behind the attack has been detained by the Delhi police.

Source
    Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Arunachal student Nido Taniam murder raises serious questions about Delhi Police: Kejriwal
    Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Comment

Arunachal MLA's son 'beaten to death' in Delhi, anger spills over

NEW DELHI: An Arunachal Pradesh MLA's son died here after he was allegedly beaten up by some shopkeepers following an altercation sparked by their taunts on his hairstyle, in yet another incident of targeting of people from the north-east.

Police registered a case of murder in connection with the death of Nido Tania, son of Congress MLA and parliamentary secretary in health and family welfare department, Nido Pavitra, on Thursday as the incident sparked a furore with allegations of discrimination against people from the region.

Two shopkeepers were arrested this evening in the case as police faced flak for alleged inaction. Delhi government also recommended a magisterial inquiry into the incident.

The relatives of the youth, who was a BA first year student at a private university, alleged that he had an altercation with some shopkeepers in Lajpat Nagar in south Delhi on Wednesday after they made fun of his hairstyle, following which they allegedly thrashed him.

Police had reached the spot and brokered compromise after which Tania returned to his Safdarjung home with his friends. However, he did not wake up in the morning. When his friends took him to AIIMS, he was declared brought dead.

Police said they were waiting for the viscera report while two shopkeepers identified as Farhan and Akram have been arrested.

The initial post-mortem has not revealed "much injury or aberration". His viscera samples have been preserved to zero in on the cause of death, police said.

"On Wednesday, they had a fight. However they reached a compromise soon after that. There was not much injury. Then on Thursday he was brought dead to AIIMS following which we were informed. Postmortem was conducted today.

"It didn't show much injury or aberrations. Internally, there were some changes in viscera, and for this the viscera has been preserved and its chemical report is being expedited. Meanwhile, we have registered a case under Section 302. Further investigations are on," deputy commissioner of police (South-East) P Karunakaran told reporters here today.

Asked whether cause of death could be due to injuries from the assault, the official said, "There is no final conclusive report as if now".

A youth claiming to be his cousin told a TV channel, "This is surely about racism. Everybody in Delhi discriminates against us based on our looks. We are living in India, but we don't know whether we are actually living in India or not. every time we are discriminated against.

"His family has been informed," he said. Arunachal Pradesh MP Takam Sanjoy demanded immediate arrest of culprits.

"The humiliating discrimination meted out to northeastern students and other people either in Delhi or elsewhere is going to be protested on a large scale.

"North east students' forum in Delhi will be protesting tomorrow and MPs of north east will also be reaching from various camps to Delhi soon," he said.

Sanjoy said the protesters will meet the Prime Minister, Delhi chief minister and the home minister to ensure that "this type of discrimination does not occur in the future".

There have been incidents of targeting people from the north east, including rape of a BPO employee, in the national capital, leading to protests from outfits representing their cause.

"Even after 48-hours of the incident the police failed to arrest the culprits involved in the crime, which exposed the discriminatory attitude of the people from mainland India towards the people of North East," Sanjoy said.

"This is not a new incident ... several such incidents have been reported earlier where students of NE are victimised and we have taken adequate steps to sensitise the people ... Even I raised the issue several times in parliament," Sanjoy said while condemning the incident.

Meanwhile, All Arunachal Pradesh Students' Union (AAPSU) and All Nyishi Students Union (ANSU) along with several other organisations of the state condemned the incident and demanded that the Delhi government arrest the culprits immediately and ensure that they get strict punishment.

Comment

And then people ask ''The tribals have gone up the hills and won't come down". And when they do, they face situations such as these. Racism/insult/groping/bullying is an everyday event for people from the North-East in mainland India, mainly in Delhi, the fcuking Capital City of fcuking India. The entire N-E should have gone to China, atleast we look similar. MF SoBs.

R.I.P mate!
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Oracle; 31 Jan 14,, 17:36.

Comment

China ain't all that much better. The only reason why you don't hear about it is because you don't read Chinese.

Comment

Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
            China ain't all that much better. The only reason why you don't hear about it is because you don't read Chinese.
            I'm pissed off, that's all. However, I don't think the Chinese would make fun of my hairstyle, and then beat me to death for pleasure.

If I'm being discriminated against, then I'd love to be judged by my own. Not by stupid arseholes sitting in Delhi, idiots who don't even know how much sq. kms the NE is composed of.

Comment

Originally posted by Oracle View Post
              And then people ask ''The tribals have gone up the hills and won't come down". And when they do, they face situations such as these. Racism/insult/groping/bullying is an everyday event for people from the North-East in mainland India, mainly in Delhi, the fcuking Capital City of fcuking India. The entire N-E should have gone to China, atleast we look similar. MF SoBs.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]35336[/ATTACH]

R.I.P mate!
              Don't generalize. I accept there is problem and its a serious one. This is such a sad incident and fuck don't insult the country. You don't like the country you are free to decide what you want to do for yourself and not for everybody in north-east. We have to work towards setting it right.
              It is so. It cant be otherwise

Comment

Originally posted by Mohan View Post
                Don't generalize.
                Oh! I can. It's the taxes I bloody pay.

I accept there is problem and its a serious one.
                Thank heavens for accepting.

This is such a sad incident and fuck don't insult the country.
                You probably forgot, I too live in a democracy. Here people value the tri-color more than human lives. In USA, people use their flag as their underwear and are still patriotic. I will piss on the flag and just walk along the border to China/Burma.

You don't like the country you are free to decide what you want to do for yourself and not for everybody in north-east.
                Most people right now, would want to burn North-Indians for Chavang-Kut. And tribals are not known for making hollow promises.

We have to work towards setting it right.
                Should have started this post with this agenda and the solutions that could have been brought about.

Comment

I don't think this had anything to do with racism but it's going to be played out like this nonetheless. Men dying their hair blonde will attract comments from others. Though this kid should not have vandalised the shop.

That said, what has happened is pure barbarism. The delhi police is almost of no use. The kids father is a politician so hopefully this'll force the delhi administration to conduct itself honestly.

Comment

Originally posted by anil View Post
                    I don't think this had anything to do with racism but it's going to be played out like this nonetheless. Men dying their hair blonde will attract comments from others. Though this kid should not have vandalised the shop.
                    You would not have had this sweeping statement had this happened with your son.

Comment

You would not have had this sweeping statement had this happened with your son.
                      I think you are very angry

The locals working on road side stalls and shops in urban areas have an extreme outlook in life. They aren't hesitant to get into trouble when intimidated or challenged. In mumbai, they actually hold this philosophy (police se kya darta hai? mumbai ka hai na pehle se? bheed ja ne ka bindaas - what about the police? you grew up in these streets you stand on, didn't you? so fight like theres no tomorrow). They end up committing crimes but nothing happens since the courts are already busy with decades worth of backlogs.

This actually happens too often and popularly reported in local crime dailies in gory gossip
                      Last edited by anil; 31 Jan 14,, 19:09.

Comment

I think you are very angry
                        Heavens, yes. Was it too hard to infer?

The locals working on road side stalls and shops in urban areas have an extreme outlook in life. They aren't hesitant to get into trouble when intimidated or challenged. In mumbai, they actually hold this philosophy (police se kya darta hai? mumbai ka hai na pehle se? bheed ja ne ka bindaas - what about the police? you grew up in these streets you stand on, didn't you? so fight like theres no tomorrow). They end up committing crimes but nothing happens since the courts are already busy with decades worth of backlogs.

This actually happens too often and popularly reported in local crime dailies in gory gossip
                        So, what has it got to do with what is at hand? You really like arguing with yourself, don't you? And what's with the Hindi thingy? You, educated? Since you been told enough times to maintain the language of this forum.
                        Last edited by Oracle; 31 Jan 14,, 19:19.

Comment

[ATTACH=CONFIG]35336[/ATTACH]

R.I.P mate!
                          Come on now, no one likes those Delihite hooligans. But that is no reason to generalize about the entire country. Also, I am no one to blame the victim, but this really does not give us the full picture of what happened.

I can see the taunts (in themselves unfortunate) but I don't see how that leads to a beating to death unless there is something in between.

Having said that, I think the way some of the North Indians treat other ethnic groups in India (including us) as despicable. I don't get angry. I just remind them of their own abysmal nature and conditions (of those who do this).
                          "Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" ~ Epicurus

Comment

A sad incident. RIP kid.

Comment

Originally posted by antimony View Post
                              Come on now, no one likes those Delihite hooligans. But that is no reason to generalize about the entire country. Also, I am no one to blame the victim, but this really does not give us the full picture of what happened.

I can see the taunts (in themselves unfortunate) but I don't see how that leads to a beating to death unless there is something in between.

Having said that, I think the way some of the North Indians treat other ethnic groups in India (including us) as despicable. I don't get angry. I just remind them of their own abysmal nature and conditions (of those who do this).
                              In the course of my life, I have lived 3 working years in NCR. And I have faced racism.

So, if I generalize, I think it's the NCR guys who owes me.

It's they who have to come clean, not me. So I think I will fcuking generalize.
                              Last edited by Oracle; 31 Jan 14,, 19:27.

Comment

Working...
                              X