Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'Davos to Detention: Why I Hate Coming Home to America'

Davos to Detention: Why I Hate Coming Home to America | Ahmed Shihab-Eldin

If all the bastards around the world that are blowing stuff up were named Lee, Chung, Kim, Tanaka, Zhang and looked Asian, I would not be offended if I received extra scrutiny in airports, nay, I would be pissed if I didn't receive them.

This guy should be more worried why most of the people that blow stuff up around the world are named Ahmeds, Khalids Abu and the Muhammads.

And, no, please don't give me the "Not all Muslims are terrorists" argument.

That's not what I meant.

Comment

Originally posted by YellowFever View Post
      If all the bastards around the world that are blowing stuff up were named Lee, Chung, Kim, Tanaka, Zhang and looked Asian, I would not be offended if I received extra scrutiny in airports, nay, I would be pissed if I didn't receive them.

This guy should be more worried why most of the people that blow stuff up around the world are named Ahmeds, Khalids Abu and the Muhammads.

And, no, please don't give me the "Not all Muslims are terrorists" argument.

That's not what I meant.
      No wonder you'd prefer to be strip-searched for several hours then to be presumed innocent.
      No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Originally posted by Doktor View Post
        No wonder you'd prefer to be strip-searched for several hours then to be presumed innocent.
        I'm sure Yeller would ENJOY it . . . .
        "There is never enough time to do or say all the things that we would wish. The thing is to try to do as much as you can in the time that you have. Remember Scrooge, time is short, and suddenly, you're not there any more." -Ghost of Christmas Present, Scrooge

Comment

YF,

other than the degree, how is this reasoning any different than the reasoning for putting japanese-americans in internment camps?

we are a country of laws. and one of the primary principles of rule of law is innocence until proven guilty. this presumes at minimum suspicion until otherwise proven innocent.

i don't mind blanket security checks as long as it's blanket, nor do i mind the establishment of a no-fly list based on evidence. pulling people aside based on names-- well, there's the example of David Headley for you.
          There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

I'd like to know if he ever tried to excercise his right to leave and forced the government to "officially" detain him. If he didn't then its all voluntary as bullshitty as it is.

Comment

Guess this covers it, Z:

After a 14-hour trip, I wanted to stretch my legs. So I stood up, anxious to find myself back in the room, especially after having written to the DHS. "Take a seat," the officer at the door sternly said to me. I told him I wanted to stretch my legs after the long flight. He told me I wasn't allowed to stand up. You are also not allowed to use your phone or electronic equipment. I was also slightly surprised to find as many children in the room as there were cameras.
              No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

even without that, i can't imagine too many people wanting to test out the extent of their rights at the airport. the environment is rather more controlled than, say, a police officer stopping you and asking to search your car.
                There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

Originally posted by astralis View Post
                  YF,

other than the degree, how is this reasoning any different than the reasoning for putting japanese-americans in internment camps?

we are a country of laws. and one of the primary principles of rule of law is innocence until proven guilty. this presumes at minimum suspicion until otherwise proven innocent.
                  Really?

You brought the Japanese - American internment into this?

Is that the new Godwin's Law when we deal with this subject?

It seems to pop up every single time when we talk about this.

i don't mind blanket security checks as long as it's blanket, nor do i mind the establishment of a no-fly list based on evidence. pulling people aside based on names-- well, there's the example of David Headley for you.
                  Let me quote the same thing DoK did with a different part bolded.

After a 14-hour trip, I wanted to stretch my legs. So I stood up, anxious to find myself back in the room, especially after having written to the DHS. "Take a seat," the officer at the door sternly said to me. I told him I wanted to stretch my legs after the long flight. He told me I wasn't allowed to stand up. You are also not allowed to use your phone or electronic equipment. I was also slightly surprised to find as many children in the room as there were cameras.
                  Seems pretty blanket to me.

Or are all the children named Ahmed or Muhammad or Khalid?

Seems this idiot is just pissed he's on some list and he happens to be of Arab descent.

More "I'm a victim" mentality.

I'm on this exact same list and my wife has to wait 30 to 45 minutes every time we come back into the country.

It's become something of a joke on the plane whenever we come back from a vacation.

I have no idea what this guy is talking about since using electronic is a no-no but I can stand up and stretch my legs.

I tried everything I could for the past five years to get off of it but I just can't.

I chalk it up to idiotic bureaucracy.

Maybe I should write a column about it to tug at the heart strings of politically correct liberals....

Comment

Originally posted by Doktor View Post
                    Guess this covers it, Z:
                    Being allowed to use a phone is not a right. hate to parse hairs, but that is what it takes, Unless you know specifically that you are in fact being detained, your compliance is voluntary. ya it sucks, but that show the courts have constructed it.

Atsy, very true, awe is a normal human emotion and government is exceedingly prone to use it to trick compliance out of the citizen who has no legal obligation to comply.

Comment

Originally posted by Stitch View Post
                      I'm sure Yeller would ENJOY it . . . .
                      Only if the Colonel was doing the searching……..
                      Removing a single turd from the cesspool doesn't make any difference.

Comment

Shoving a hockey stick up his butt? When I start?

Comment

Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
                          Shoving a hockey stick up his butt? When I start?
                          Speaking of ass monkey Canadians... keeping SWSNBN is one thing. But Beiber has got to go home to that frigid north you call Canada.

Comment

I had to google that name and even then, "who?"

Comment

Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
                              I had to google that name and even then, "who?"
                              I, and many Americans, envy you.
                              Removing a single turd from the cesspool doesn't make any difference.

Comment

Working...
                              X