PDA

View Full Version : Super Bowl XLVIII

Julie
23 Jan 14,, 03:02
THE MATCHUP - Irresistible force vs. Immovable object

For the first time in NFL history, the number one offense faces off against the number one defense for the championship.

The Seattle Seahawks and the Denver Broncos will battle for the Super Bowl title on Feb. 2, 2014, at the MetLife Stadium in East Rutherford, N.J. and for the first time in NFL history, will be played in an outdoor arena during the brunt of winter.

American Idol season 11 winner Phillip Phillips and The Band Perry will be performing and kicking off the festivities for the Super Bowl pre-game show.

Renee Fleming will perform the National Anthem and Bruno Mars will perform in the halftime show with the Red Hot Chili Peppers.

Google is adding for the first time, a gallery of teaser video clips to the annual YouTube Ad Blitz channel devoted to Super Bowl commercials. The gallery, scheduled to go live early Friday morning, begins with preview videos from five advertisers planning to run commercials during Super Bowl XLVIII on Feb. 2: Butterfinger, Doritos, Intuit, Squarespace and Pepsi.

With all that said, what is your predictions? Will the weather effect the outcome of the game?

bonehead
23 Jan 14,, 05:18
THE MATCHUP - Irresistible force vs. Immovable object

For the first time in NFL history, the number one offense faces off against the number one defense for the championship.

The Seattle Seahawks and the Denver Broncos will battle for the Super Bowl title on Feb. 2, 2014, at the MetLife Stadium in East Rutherford, N.J. and for the first time in NFL history, will be played in an outdoor arena during the brunt of winter.

American Idol season 11 winner Phillip Phillips and The Band Perry will be performing and kicking off the festivities for the Super Bowl pre-game show.

Renee Fleming will perform the National Anthem and Bruno Mars will perform in the halftime show with the Red Hot Chili Peppers.

Google is adding for the first time, a gallery of teaser video clips to the annual YouTube Ad Blitz channel devoted to Super Bowl commercials. The gallery, scheduled to go live early Friday morning, begins with preview videos from five advertisers planning to run commercials during Super Bowl XLVIII on Feb. 2: Butterfinger, Doritos, Intuit, Squarespace and Pepsi.

With all that said, what is your predictions? Will the weather effect the outcome of the game?

SF gave all Seattle all they could handle but Denver, with a better offense and not a shabby defense, overwhelmed N.E. Denver plays well in cold weather too. Lastly, Manning isn't going to make the same mistakes Colin did. Seattle is going home empty again.

Julie
24 Jan 14,, 04:32
That all sounds good BUT there is one occurrence that puts a question mark over my head about that. Broncos and Seahawks played in a pre-season game (I think it was like week 2), and Seahawks beat them 40-10. I remember watching some of it with my son, but stopped watching cuz it was such a sloppy game.

Soooo, I'm going with the underdog, Seattle. Manning is getting old and worn, and I just think he isn't going to cut it in the snow. The younger boys are going to give him a run, just like they did in that pre-season game.

zraver
24 Jan 14,, 05:30
It might come down to weather. Slippery conditions favor the defense, younger players and running backs over throwing arms . So the offense may be more of a ground express than air mail if the snow is heavy. This favors Seattle on both counts. If Denver can't pass they lose. Plus there is a hunger in Seattle that is going to be hard to resist.

Personally the idea of playing the Superbowl in the snow is stupid...

bonehead
24 Jan 14,, 17:40
That all sounds good BUT there is one occurrence that puts a question mark over my head about that. Broncos and Seahawks played in a pre-season game (I think it was like week 2), and Seahawks beat them 40-10. I remember watching some of it with my son, but stopped watching cuz it was such a sloppy game.

Soooo, I'm going with the underdog, Seattle. Manning is getting old and worn, and I just think he isn't going to cut it in the snow. The younger boys are going to give him a run, just like they did in that pre-season game.

Preseasons are throwaway games. Just a tool to fine tune the roster while making some money.

bonehead
24 Jan 14,, 17:48
It might come down to weather. Slippery conditions favor the defense, younger players and running backs over throwing arms . So the offense may be more of a ground express than air mail if the snow is heavy. This favors Seattle on both counts. If Denver can't pass they lose. Plus there is a hunger in Seattle that is going to be hard to resist.

Personally the idea of playing the Superbowl in the snow is stupid...

More often the slippery conditions favor the offense because they know where they are going and the defense has to react. Manning has proven he can pass under less than ideal conditions. I really don't mind the open field. This is not baseball and I look forward to seeing them play in conditions less than perfect. It adds a level of complexity to the game that both teems have to prepare for. What I would rather not see is something like the GB SF game of a couple of weeks ago. That was just too cold.

guicho80
24 Jan 14,, 19:22
Methinks this one comes down to betting on the weather. If its gusting 30 mph in jersey come next Sunday, I think the Seahawks run away with this one. If the weather gods are tranquil I think the Broncs win a close one.

tbm3fan
25 Jan 14,, 01:52
Most Super Bowls I could care less. However, since I do not care for Seattle at all, I will go with Denver. The intangible is this game is Manning and the fact that this could be his last Super Bowl shot. He is extremely competitive and I am sure wants to go down in history as one of the best. Right or wrong the best win Super Bowls and more than one if possible. Just look at Fouts and Marino. Both fantastic passers yet neither won a Super Bowl and as a result when people are asked who is/was the best all are Super Bowl winners. Fouts and Coryell changed the passing game in the NFL in their days but neither are mentioned in such a capacity. A shame as Walsh is always mentioned and Walsh learned from Coryell. Same with multiple winners as Bradshaw and Montana. Going with Manning.

Julie
25 Jan 14,, 13:01
Preseasons are throwaway games. Just a tool to fine tune the roster while making some money.I just cant fathom such a professional as Manning letting a rookie wax his a$$ like that, no matter what kind of game it is. Just sayin....

guicho80
25 Jan 14,, 19:41
Week 2 of the preseason? I doubt Manning took even a single snap in that game.

guicho80
25 Jan 14,, 19:57
I take it back. Apparently they rolled him out there for the entire 1st quarter and a single drive in the second. Still, unless both teams sit all their starters after the 1st quarter, I would not take the final score of that game as any indication of what to expect next Sunday.

bonehead
25 Jan 14,, 22:26
I just cant fathom such a professional as Manning letting a rookie wax his a$$ like that, no matter what kind of game it is. Just sayin....

You have never been hustled have you? Seriously though. The preseason isn't about winning THAT game. It is about shaking off the rust, trying new things and get a final eyeball on personnel so you are best prepared for when the games really matter. I guarantee you will see a completely different Manning and Denver team in the Super bowl than what you watched "pre season".

Doktor
25 Jan 14,, 23:28
Couldn't resist...

Sorry for interruption...

And now, we return to our regularly scheduled programming.

Julie
26 Jan 14,, 14:21
You have never been hustled have you? Seriously though. The preseason isn't about winning THAT game. It is about shaking off the rust, trying new things and get a final eyeball on personnel so you are best prepared for when the games really matter. I guarantee you will see a completely different Manning and Denver team in the Super bowl than what you watched "pre season".Maybe, I just wonder why they pulled him. I thought it was to spare him anymore shame.

bonehead
26 Jan 14,, 18:25
Maybe, I just wonder why they pulled him. I thought it was to spare him anymore shame.

We should all have the shame of being the starting QB in the Superbowl.

Julie
26 Jan 14,, 23:28
We should all have the shame of being the starting QB in the Superbowl.Of course, but with so many years under Manning's belt, a player develops a pattern. A pattern that only brings attention at Super Bowl time.

Peyton's worst game of the season came in Week 12 against the New England Patriots when he threw for just 150 yards and two touchdowns with one interception. It was cold that day—22 degrees at kickoff to be exact. It was clear Manning was affected by the cold a bit.

Here is a little history of the Peyton Paradox to chew on, compliments of ESPN:

The Colts knocked Denver from the ranks of the undefeated on Sunday in as exciting a contest as football produces. At 6-1 and scoring 43 points a game, the Broncos will be fine. But the night produced a reminder about Peyton Manning: Though one of the best ever at his position, he often comes up short in big games.

Call it the Peyton Paradox.

Here is the key indicator of the Peyton Paradox: Manning is 160-71 in the regular season but 9-11 in the postseason. Any quarterback might take a win or loss here and there, by good or bad fortune beyond his control. But Manning has played so many times over so many years that his numbers seem to represent a pattern. And those numbers show Manning's performance declines in the playoffs, when the pressure is on.

Still, the Peyton Paradox is vexing. Eight of the 12 times Manning has led his charges to the postseason, they've bowed out in the opening round. Four times, Manning-led teams lost their playoff opener at home following the reward of a bye week. Five of Manning's 11 postseason losses were to the team that went on to win the Super Bowl that season -- in other words, to the league's best team. Still, both Manning and his coaches seem to develop certain "yips" in the playoffs.

Manning grew up in Louisiana, attended college in Tennessee, enrolled in a conference in which nearly all dates were warm weather, played his college bowl games at warm sites and in the NFL has played much more often in domes or good weather than outdoors on blustery days. Indoors or in mild weather in the postseason, Manning is 9-7. In the cold in the postseason, he's 0-4. Perhaps there was a reason, other than love of fresh air, that Indianapolis kept its dome open on Sunday night, with outdoor temperatures 52 degrees.

Family genes cannot be the explanation for Peyton's aversion to cold, since brother Eli is 8-3 in the playoffs with a cold-weather team and beat the Packers in the postseason at Green Bay when the kickoff temperature was below zero. But whatever the reason, Peyton's performance falters when it's cold -- and the postseason is when it's cold. Kickoff for the recent Baltimore at Denver playoff game, lost by the Broncos in a shocker, was 13 degrees.

Call it the Peyton Paradox: Why do Peyton Manning's teams struggle in big games? - ESPN (http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9860528/why-do-peyton-manning-teams-struggle-big-games)

bonehead
26 Jan 14,, 23:55
Of course, but with so many years under Manning's belt, a player develops a pattern. A pattern that only brings attention at Super Bowl time.

Peyton's worst game of the season came in Week 12 against the New England Patriots when he threw for just 150 yards and two touchdowns with one interception. It was cold that day—22 degrees at kickoff to be exact. It was clear Manning was affected by the cold a bit.

Here is a little history of the Peyton Paradox to chew on, compliments of ESPN:

The Colts knocked Denver from the ranks of the undefeated on Sunday in as exciting a contest as football produces. At 6-1 and scoring 43 points a game, the Broncos will be fine. But the night produced a reminder about Peyton Manning: Though one of the best ever at his position, he often comes up short in big games.

Call it the Peyton Paradox.

Here is the key indicator of the Peyton Paradox: Manning is 160-71 in the regular season but 9-11 in the postseason. Any quarterback might take a win or loss here and there, by good or bad fortune beyond his control. But Manning has played so many times over so many years that his numbers seem to represent a pattern. And those numbers show Manning's performance declines in the playoffs, when the pressure is on.

Still, the Peyton Paradox is vexing. Eight of the 12 times Manning has led his charges to the postseason, they've bowed out in the opening round. Four times, Manning-led teams lost their playoff opener at home following the reward of a bye week. Five of Manning's 11 postseason losses were to the team that went on to win the Super Bowl that season -- in other words, to the league's best team. Still, both Manning and his coaches seem to develop certain "yips" in the playoffs.

Manning grew up in Louisiana, attended college in Tennessee, enrolled in a conference in which nearly all dates were warm weather, played his college bowl games at warm sites and in the NFL has played much more often in domes or good weather than outdoors on blustery days. Indoors or in mild weather in the postseason, Manning is 9-7. In the cold in the postseason, he's 0-4. Perhaps there was a reason, other than love of fresh air, that Indianapolis kept its dome open on Sunday night, with outdoor temperatures 52 degrees.

Family genes cannot be the explanation for Peyton's aversion to cold, since brother Eli is 8-3 in the playoffs with a cold-weather team and beat the Packers in the postseason at Green Bay when the kickoff temperature was below zero. But whatever the reason, Peyton's performance falters when it's cold -- and the postseason is when it's cold. Kickoff for the recent Baltimore at Denver playoff game, lost by the Broncos in a shocker, was 13 degrees.

Call it the Peyton Paradox: Why do Peyton Manning's teams struggle in big games? - ESPN (http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9860528/why-do-peyton-manning-teams-struggle-big-games)

I love it when "experts" like ESPN throw out the whole team when making such stories because we all know that a single man can play all by themselves. Didn't Manning have 21 other players on the field? How did they play that day? What about coaches? Even so, what happened years ago with another team has little to do with how dominating Denver have been in THIS years playoffs.

Julie
27 Jan 14,, 01:04
I love it when "experts" like ESPN throw out the whole team when making such stories because we all know that a single man can play all by themselves. Didn't Manning have 21 other players on the field? How did they play that day? What about coaches? Even so, what happened years ago with another team has little to do with how dominating Denver have been in THIS years playoffs.Okay, okay, the trophy already has the Broncos name on it and Peyton as the MVP. Happy now?

Geesh, I was only pointing out that even though the Broncos are favored, your man Manning is going to have some struggles. Not only against the weather, but all of the "other players" he will be up against...their stats are just outstanding.

I wish you all the luck, and I will post my anticipated score before the game is played. :)

bonehead
27 Jan 14,, 01:12
Okay, okay, the trophy already has the Broncos name on it and Peyton as the MVP. Happy now?

Geesh, I was only pointing out that even though the Broncos are favored, your man Manning is going to have some struggles. Not only against the weather, but all of the "other players" he will be up against...their stats are just outstanding.

I wish you all the luck, and I will post my anticipated score before the game is played. :)

LMAO. I don't have a dog in this fight. I am only hoping it will be a good game worth watching. Honestly I would normally rooted for Seattle but too much of their fan base is obnoxious and as long as Pete the cheat Carroll is coach, I wouldn't give the Seahawks the time of day.

Julie
30 Jan 14,, 04:01
It's going to be a great game ! My prediction is Seahawks- 27-24. ;)

DOR
30 Jan 14,, 04:20
First time in donkey's years that the game has coincided with a Chinese New Year holiday, so I'll be able to watch it without leaving at half-time to go to work !

tbm3fan
30 Jan 14,, 05:08
It's going to be a great game ! My prediction is Seahawks- 27-24. ;)

I'd be stunned if they were able to even score 27 points. Away from their home base and against a top notch team they are not so invincible. Luck scored 34 points against them and didn't have the defense that Denver has.

Julie
01 Feb 14,, 13:53
I'd be stunned if they were able to even score 27 points. Away from their home base and against a top notch team they are not so invincible. Luck scored 34 points against them and didn't have the defense that Denver has.Well then, what is your score prediction?

tbm3fan
01 Feb 14,, 17:54
Well then, what is your score prediction?

I'm not a gambler so I have never made score predictions. I only say who I would like to see win even if it is my own team. Neither team here is mine so I would like to see Denver win no matter what the final score. No who has the potential of scoring points in a shoot out then that would be Manning.

Doktor
01 Feb 14,, 20:52
They said there will be a live footage. Hope I wont fall a sleep during commercials (I have already seen them).

bonehead
01 Feb 14,, 22:28
I'm not a gambler so I have never made score predictions. I only say who I would like to see win even if it is my own team. Neither team here is mine so I would like to see Denver win no matter what the final score. No who has the potential of scoring points in a shoot out then that would be Manning.

Looking back it seams that goal of many teams was simply to play in the super bowl. Once there all the hoopla bright lights and distractions ruined the actual game. I would take a division rivalry game any day over a super bowl. Not worth betting on IMO as you are just not seeing two teams willing to bring their "A" game for most Super bowls.

bigross86
02 Feb 14,, 22:45
Woke up at 6:45 AM today, worked until 6:30. Went to Jerusalem for my grandma's birthday, just got back now. Kickoff is at 1:30 AM, in just under 2 hours. Game will probably be over at 5:30 AM or so. Gonna be tough staying up this year to watch the whole game.

So, being that the Giants aren't in the game, and there are no Giants rivals to root against, who should I be rooting for this year? Any suggestions?

Doktor
02 Feb 14,, 22:50
I know Yeller will be all for Seahawks. Hoping for a sammich.

bigross86
03 Feb 14,, 00:36
Wow, what a way to start off the game!

sated buddha
03 Feb 14,, 00:42
double post

sated buddha
03 Feb 14,, 00:43
I'm in Seattle right now and don't know the head or tail of super bowl. Lots of cars and bikes with small triangular black flags. Why don't Americans play cricket?

Just saying .....

bigross86
03 Feb 14,, 00:57
Dude, if you are in Seattle now, you need to be getting as drunk as you can as fast as you can, all the while yelling incohrenetly at the closest TV

sated buddha
03 Feb 14,, 01:42
That was crappy defense man!

bonehead
03 Feb 14,, 02:13
I'm in Seattle right now and don't know the head or tail of super bowl. Lots of cars and bikes with small triangular black flags. Why don't Americans play cricket?

Just saying .....

Americans like some excitement in our games. Baseball being the exception.

Word to the wise. You picked a horrible time to be in Seattle. If they win there will be riots and if they lose its going to get ugly.

bonehead
03 Feb 14,, 02:15
From the very first play it looks like Seattle came to play. Denver was just happy to be there. We will see if Denver has some pride when they come out in the second half.

bigross86
03 Feb 14,, 02:37
No, they don't.....

S2
03 Feb 14,, 02:53
"...You picked a horrible time to be in Seattle. If they win there will be riots and if they lose its going to get ugly."

They are a dark, morose bunch.

No doubt the miserable, wet weather...

bigross86
03 Feb 14,, 03:03
Laid down a friendly wager against my dad. He had the Broncos, so I put $20 on the Seahawks. I feel safe saying those $20 will be mine by the end of the game.

antimony
03 Feb 14,, 03:16
"...You picked a horrible time to be in Seattle. If they win there will be riots and if they lose its going to get ugly."

Nonsense,

If they win, there will be a bit more screaming followed by polite road manners, lots of passing and waiting at stop signs.

If they lose, there will be dejection, followed by slightly more irritated honking than usual, and less friendly waving.

In short, the passive aggressive meter will go up or down a bit based on the results

sated buddha
03 Feb 14,, 03:23
Seattle running guys (what are they called?) are too good man. Like they have been picked from the Jamaican track team.

bigross86
03 Feb 14,, 03:42
I think Wilson deserves MVP. I know there's a trend of the QB being the MVP, but this year I think he deserves it

Parihaka
03 Feb 14,, 03:49
Just tuned in. Is the idea to get the most points, or the least points :biggrin:

sated buddha
03 Feb 14,, 04:01
No firecrackers man? By now it would be deafening in India. And no space to move on the roads. Its dead outside!

Congrats Seattle. It was a massacre.

bigross86
03 Feb 14,, 04:05
Been up for 22 hours, it's now time to bid one and all a good night

Julie
03 Feb 14,, 04:47
I guarantee you will see a completely different Manning and Denver team in the Super bowl than what you watched "pre season".Hmmm...think you miscalculated that just a little. The score was just about the same as in the pre-season. :tongue:

I'd be stunned if they were able to even score 27 points. Away from their home base and against a top notch team they are not so invincible. Luck scored 34 points against them and didn't have the defense that Denver has.A very good thing you aint a betting man. :tongue:

GO SEAHAWKS !! :Dancing-Banana:

And please, I do not want to hear anything about how they cheated their way to the Super Bowl win. They dominated Denver. End of story.

bonehead
03 Feb 14,, 05:30
Hmmm...think you miscalculated that just a little. The score was just about the same as in the pre-season. :tongue:

A very good thing you aint a betting man. :tongue:

And please, I do not want to hear anything about how they cheated their way to the Super Bowl win. They dominated Denver. End of story.

Seattle came to play. Denver was just happy to be there. Crow is in the oven.:rolleyes:

bonehead
03 Feb 14,, 05:40

I blame the traffic. Way to many people living too close together.

Doktor
03 Feb 14,, 08:59
OK, now can someone tell me how Denver managed to score in the 2nd half?

bigross86
03 Feb 14,, 11:07
I already heard some people talk (at least in the first half) how the game had to have been fixed

Doktor
03 Feb 14,, 11:38
I already heard some people talk (at least in the first half) how the game had to have been fixed

Ask Julie. She got the winner and the total score right.:whome:

Albany Rifles
03 Feb 14,, 14:24
53's THE MIKE!!!

astralis
03 Feb 14,, 15:00
what a disappointment!

i mean the commercials...but now that you mention it, the game as well.

Julie
03 Feb 14,, 15:20
what a disappointment!

i mean the commercials...but now that you mention it, the game as well.I was disappointed with the commercials as well. I really look forward to them. I was also very surprised with the MVP award.

This Super Bowl was definitely different all the way around.

astralis
03 Feb 14,, 15:50
I was disappointed with the commercials as well.

i liked the Turbotax, the Budweiser with Ah-nold, Kia's Laurence Fishburne/Matrix,...and that was about it. they really phoned it in this year.

too many artsy-fartsy commercials trying (and failing) to recreate the "Half Time in America" ad. disliked the kinda-exploitative Budweiser welcome-home Vet ad.

plus, nothing with Kate Upton. -500 points right there.

Doktor
03 Feb 14,, 15:55
plus, nothing with Kate Upton. -500 points right there.
Another -500 from me :biggrin:

I liked the Bud dog/horse best Buds ad. Kia was a bit too much, but OK. Nothing else.

bigross86
03 Feb 14,, 16:19
They brought Scarlett Johansson instead :biggrin:

bonehead
03 Feb 14,, 18:03
They brought Scarlett Johansson instead :biggrin:

Wouldn't those two be great to have together…….. Don't we have a bachelor party coming up?

bigross86
03 Feb 14,, 19:24
Yeah, in May.....

gunnut
03 Feb 14,, 19:57
I called it 2 weeks ago. Not here, but elsewhere on the internet, that Seahawks would win.

1. Peyton has been a dome QB all his life. He can't play in the cold. He beat a depleted Patriots team in Denver under fair weather conditions.

2. Offense gets the glory. Defense wins championships.

I still don't understand why Denver got rid of Tebow. It didn't matter how bad the guy was. He found a way to win, with a patchwork line up. I know winning is not everything. Winning is the ONLY thing. Winning ugly beats losing pretty any day of the week.

bigross86
03 Feb 14,, 20:02
And winning ugly beats losing ugly even more

gunnut
03 Feb 14,, 20:07
And winning ugly beats losing ugly even more

That goes without saying.

"If you ain't first, you're last."

astralis
03 Feb 14,, 20:26
"That doesn't make any sense at all, you can be second, third, fourth... hell you can even be fifth."

bigross86
03 Feb 14,, 20:54
And Jesus said to Peter, "Come forth and I will give you eternal glory;" but Peter came fifth and won a toaster

Parihaka
03 Feb 14,, 21:27
Hmmm...think you miscalculated that just a little. The score was just about the same as in the pre-season. :tongue:

A very good thing you aint a betting man. :tongue:

Way to rub it in gently Julie :)

Parihaka
03 Feb 14,, 21:29
I called it 2 weeks ago. Not here, but elsewhere on the internet, that Seahawks would win.

This comment is useless without proof

cdude
03 Feb 14,, 23:25

1. Peyton has been a dome QB all his life. He can't play in the cold. He beat a depleted Patriots team in Denver under fair weather conditions.

2. Offense gets the glory. Defense wins championships.

I still don't understand why Denver got rid of Tebow. It didn't matter how bad the guy was. He found a way to win, with a patchwork line up. I know winning is not everything. Winning is the ONLY thing. Winning ugly beats losing pretty any day of the week.

I'm with you until the TEBOW part. Are you sure you are not Skip Bayless? All he does is WIN!

But Tebow's superbowl commercials are pretty darn good, I give you that.

gunnut
03 Feb 14,, 23:29
This comment is useless without proof

It's on Calguns.net, offtopic section, can only see by logging in. :biggrin:

I could post a screenshot of my prediction dated Jan. 20th, 1242pm....

gunnut
03 Feb 14,, 23:37
I'm with you until the TEBOW part. Are you sure you are not Skip Bayless? All he does is WIN!

But Tebow's superbowl commercials are pretty darn good, I give you that.

I have no idea how good Tebow was as a QB. All I know is he took a decimated Broncos team to AFC championship game 2 years ago. Somehow, some way, he took the Broncos from out of nowhere to the playoffs. Not just into the playoffs, but deep into playoffs. Can't argue with results.

Maybe he got lucky. I don't know. But I think he was brought in to lose, not to win. Broncos wanted to rebuild. They needed to lose games to get good picks. He foiled the plan by winning. That's why he was let go after half a season.

Then New York brought him in to distract the fans from Mark Sanchez. Sanchez is a serviceable QB, but not someone who can win big games. Jets won with defense.

If I were the owner of a team desperate for QB, I would give Tebow a shot. Give him the team for one season to see what he can do. Where else would the team go? QBs who can win don't grow on trees. Need to think outside the box.

cdude
03 Feb 14,, 23:57
I have no idea how good Tebow was as a QB. All I know is he took a decimated Broncos team to AFC championship game 2 years ago. Somehow, some way, he took the Broncos from out of nowhere to the playoffs. Not just into the playoffs, but deep into playoffs. Can't argue with results.

Maybe he got lucky. I don't know. But I think he was brought in to lose, not to win. Broncos wanted to rebuild. They needed to lose games to get good picks. He foiled the plan by winning. That's why he was let go after half a season.

Then New York brought him in to distract the fans from Mark Sanchez. Sanchez is a serviceable QB, but not someone who can win big games. Jets won with defense.

If I were the owner of a team desperate for QB, I would give Tebow a shot. Give him the team for one season to see what he can do. Where else would the team go? QBs who can win don't grow on trees. Need to think outside the box.

Who's the Superbowl MVP? LB Smith.

QB doesn't win games by himself. Tebow was a horrible NFLQB. He was good in Florida because he could run against college defense. He never learnt to throw properly.

Julie
04 Feb 14,, 00:37
Way to rub it in gently Julie :)Thank you ever so kindly sweetheart. :)

gunnut
04 Feb 14,, 03:12
Who's the Superbowl MVP? LB Smith.

QB doesn't win games by himself. Tebow was a horrible NFLQB. He was good in Florida because he could run against college defense. He never learnt to throw properly.

JaMarcus Russell has a cannon of an arm. Sugar Bowl MVP. Number 1 pick overall by the Raiders. Couldn't play football worth a damn in the NFL.

Alexandre Daigle, number 1 pick overall by the Ottawa Senators, couldn't play in the NHL.

Billy Beane, widely regarded as a 5-tool baseball player, couldn't play baseball.

And what is this "throw properly" thing? I don't care how, put the ball in the receivers' hands in a timely manner without getting picked off. That to me, is "throwing properly."

Maybe I'm results oriented. I don't care if it looks ugly. I don't care how. In the immortal words of Al Davis, "Just Win Baby."

cdude
06 Feb 14,, 00:37
JaMarcus Russell has a cannon of an arm. Sugar Bowl MVP. Number 1 pick overall by the Raiders. Couldn't play football worth a damn in the NFL.

Alexandre Daigle, number 1 pick overall by the Ottawa Senators, couldn't play in the NHL.

Billy Beane, widely regarded as a 5-tool baseball player, couldn't play baseball.

And what is this "throw properly" thing? I don't care how, put the ball in the receivers' hands in a timely manner without getting picked off. That to me, is "throwing properly."

Maybe I'm results oriented. I don't care if it looks ugly. I don't care how. In the immortal words of Al Davis, "Just Win Baby."

You need to check Tebow's completion rate. Dude cannot put the ball in WRs' hands. He lucked out during several games with a stellar defense and that's that.

Rex Grossman made it to the Superbowl once, didn't mean shit.

zraver
06 Feb 14,, 13:45
I'd be stunned if they were able to even score 27 points. Away from their home base and against a top notch team they are not so invincible. Luck scored 34 points against them and didn't have the defense that Denver has.

So much fail in this prediction. The Seahawks were 2.5 pt underdogs and pulled the 3rd biggest gap in Superbowl history.

sated buddha
06 Feb 14,, 13:51
Seattle downtown was crammed with people today (and very very cold man .... eye and nose wateringly cold). The company pf my partners, the CEO declared a holiday midday so everyone could join the parade. It was good fun. TV crews everywhere and the universal human affliction of wanting to (a) get on TV; and (b) act like a buffoon when on it LOL. The light link rail to SeaTac for the first time actually made me feel like I was back home in a Mumbai local though.