PDA

View Full Version : Olympics

bonehead
09 Jan 14,, 04:53
I'd love to be able to put this into the sporting thread but so far this years olympics has been far more political than sporting and we have yet to see the opening ceremonies. Right now it looks like athletes from India can't carry their nations flag. That is a travesty. Its a messed up world we live in.

Y! SPORTS (http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/olympics-fourth-place-medal/athletes-from-india-will-not-carry-their-nation-s-flag-161133091.html)
The Olympics are never free from political influence and associations, but in India, political infighting has literally cost the nation's athletes the chance to compete under their own flag.

India's membership in the International Olympic Committee has been frozen since December 2012, when the IOC learned that India elected officials accused of corruption to its national Olympic committee. The Indian Olympic Association will hold new elections, but those elections will not be held until after the start of the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi.

[Photos: Team USA podium fashion]

As a result, India's athletes must compete as independents, and will enter the Opening Ceremony under a generic Olympic flag, not the nation's flag as shown above in 2012.

Naturally, and justifiably, Indian athletes are outraged. "It is a sad and embarrassing situation that Indian sport has been put in," Shiva Keshavan, a luger who will compete in his fifth Olympics, told a local newspaper. "People around the world know about the failure of our systems and about corruption and bad governance in sports. The essence of the Olympic Games is to 'represent' and I feel it is shameful and pathetic for all of us Indians that athletes may not walk under the Indian flag."

India had been warned in December that its athletes faced the possibility of being classified as independent if the nation did not hold elections before February 7, the date of the Opening Ceremony. The IOA decided at a December meeting to hold the elections two days later, on February 9.

Why not simply change the date and move it a few days earlier? That's thinking about solving the problem, not preserving the process. "The decision to have elections on February 9 was taken at a special general body meeting last month," an IOA source told the AFP. "We would have had to call another general body meeting to change the dates."

"We have had discussions and it was mutually agreed that we must not take decisions in haste," a source told India Today. "So it was decided not to alter the dates for the elections. [Changing the election date] may allow people to exploit legal loopholes in the decision and jeopardize the polls again."

So rather than alter its bureaucratic procedures, India's Olympic committee has opted to embarrass its athletes, its nation and itself in front of the entire world. Olympic spirit apparently means very different things to different people.

Minskaya
09 Jan 14,, 10:26
India's membership in the International Olympic Committee has been frozen since December 2012, when the IOC learned that India elected officials accused of corruption to its national Olympic committee. The Indian Olympic Association will hold new elections, but those elections will not be held until after the start of the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi.
From what I read above, India had over a year to set things right. Am I surprised at this? Not in the least. I've come to the realization that India is dysfunctional. That said, I wish Indian athletes good fortune at Sochi.

Minskaya
09 Jan 14,, 10:46
Yet another indicator of India dysfunction...

India ranks near bottom of nuclear material security index (http://www.thehindubusinessline.com/news/india-ranks-near-bottom-of-nuclear-material-security-index/article5557095.ece)

Bigfella
09 Jan 14,, 10:57
From what I read above, India had over a year to set things right. Am I surprised at this? Not in the least. I've come to the realization that India is dysfunctional. That said, I wish Indian athletes good fortune at Sochi.

I'll skip the generalizations about India (you are less likely to get accused of racism & a 'colonial mentality' than me), but I do know from my beloved sport of Cricket that India's record on sports administration is poor. Corruption, petty thuggery, political game playing & empire building have been par for the course. Not restricted to India, but certainly present there. Not surprised by this.

troung
09 Jan 14,, 21:44
Mehh they ain't missing out on much.

Banned Substances Claim an Outsize Role in Athletics in India

By REBECCA BYERLYJAN. 2, 2014

View slide show|11 Photos
Enrico Fabian for The New York Times

email
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/03/sports/banned-substances-claim-an-outsize-role-in-athletics-in-india.html?hpw&rref=sports&_r=0

PATIALA, India — The crumbling Old Moti Bagh Palace houses the National Institute of Sports, the training ground for India’s best athletes. One sweltering spring afternoon, the sprinter Ashwini Akkunji ran laps around its sprawling grounds, past broken fountains, a murky pool and monkeys that occasionally charged people with bared teeth. She and the palace, once home to Patiala’s royal family, had seen better days.

A gold medalist in the 4x400-meter relay and the 400 hurdles at the 2010 Commonwealth Games, Akkunji was a national hero and inspired awe in other athletes here. But eight months after those victories, Akkunji and five of her relay teammates tested positive for steroids and were suspended from competition for two years.

Athletes around the world have had their careers marred by doping, but Indian athletes, with easy access to legal steroids and limited knowledge about their consequences, lead the world in suspensions for performance-enhancing drug use.

Nearly 500 have tested positive for banned substances since 2009, when India’s National Anti-Doping Agency, known as NADA, became fully functional. In 2012 alone, 178 Indians were barred from competition. Russia has had the second-highest number of suspensions, with more than 260 athletes barred since 2009.

At the same time, Russia, with a population of 143 million, has had great international athletic success, and India, a nation of 1.2 billion, has underperformed. India has won only 26 medals in the 113 years it has competed in the Olympic Games. Russia has earned 482 Olympic medals since it began competing as the Russian Federation in the 1994 Winter Games.

“India cannot provide proper nutrition, training or medical care for its national athletes,” said Dr. Mohan Chandran, president of the Indian Federation of Sports Medicine. “So, of course, we are decades behind in our knowledge on doping.”

But John Fahey, the president of the World Anti-Doping Agency, said India had come a long way in its efforts to catch up with international standards. The increase in testing and the enforcement of WADA rules could be one reason so many athletes are caught.

They learn to cut corners early, said Rehan Khan, a steroid supplier in New Delhi for more than 20 years.

“Some of my biggest clients are the coaches of junior athletes,” Khan said. “Most of my clients understand what they are buying. They know they will get fast results, so it is worth the risks. If they don’t buy from me, they can just as easily order the steroids online.”

The salaries of coaches who train junior and national athletes are often dependent on the performance of their charges. Some of these coaches are not familiar with increasingly stringent doping tests; others believe that the drugs’ effect is worth the gamble.

“Whether it is a junior meet or university meet, you see syringes all over the track,” said Ashwini Nachappa, a former track star who is the president of Clean Sports India, an organization that fights corruption in athletics. “Nobody has given it a thought. The onus lies in the training center to start education programs and start randomly testing the kids so that there is fear.”

She said the Indian government should also stop hiring coaches from former Soviet bloc countries that have a long history of using performance-enhancing drugs.

A Way Out of Poverty

Most Indian athletes do not expect million dollar contracts or lucrative sponsorships. Careers in medicine or engineering are more respected. Yet for the tens of thousands who come from impoverished backgrounds and vie for positions on national teams, successful performances can ensure government jobs that will provide financial security for them and their families.

Akhil Kumar, a boxer who competed in the 2004 and 2008 Olympics, said he felt like a test animal at the National Institute of Sports. His coaches and doctors, he said, did not have the resources and experience to help him with injuries and often made his situation worse.

“I know about doping because I have been in this sport for a long time and have educated myself,” said Kumar, 32, who is aiming for a comeback in the 2016 Olympics and works as a police officer, a common government job for athletes. “The only way the next generation of athletes is going to have that knowledge is if they take it upon themselves to get educated, and people like me reach back and teach them.”

Chandran, who is also a member of NADA’s disciplinary board, said the agency needed to do more to inform athletes about the risks of taking steroids because they are responsible for what they put in their bodies. But many Indians do not have the resources to research the contents of their supplements or to have them tested.

“In India we are taught to never question the authority of our coaches, who are the center of our lives,” the track star Akkunji said.

Akkunji, whose suspension ended in July, is competing internationally and aiming for the 2016 Olympics. She and her teammates contended that they never knowingly took steroids. Akkunji said their Ukrainian coach had given them tainted nutritional supplements.

Dr. Laxman Singh Ranawat, the executive director of the National Institute of Sports until he retired in October, defended its training methods while acknowledging, “There may be a few cases of doping in India, but those athletes were given the drugs by their foreign coaches.”

Less than a mile from Ranawat’s office, the streets are lined with billboards showing bodybuilders flexing their muscles. They advertise steroids, available at pharmacies across India, where there is virtually no regulation of over-the-counter drugs.

The most common drug Indians test positive for is norandrosterone, a steroid that has been prohibited in sports for more than 30 years, according to The British Journal of Sports Medicine.

A month’s supply of banned substances can cost as little as $5 to $10, and some pills are only 25 cents, said Raj Makhija, the chief executive of Smart Brands in New Delhi, one of India’s few suppliers of authentic health food supplements.
Recent Comments
Robin
6 days ago

I am no fan of Serena Williams, but that is a baseless accusation. In the UK you would be used for slander.

See All Comments

Nutritional supplements from abroad are subject to high import taxes. Makhija said that imported whey protein and recovery drinks could cost $60 to $150 a month, depending on the brand and serving sizes, and that a lack of regulation had led to the rampant sale of counterfeit products.

One of the athletes Makhija sponsors is Yogeshwar Dutt, an Olympic bronze medalist in men’s 60-kilogram freestyle wrestling at the 2012 London Games.

“You know if you take steroids, you can put on muscle and get a good performance fast,” Dutt said as other wrestlers crowded into his room to talk with Makhija at a training camp in Haryana. “A lot of young athletes take the easy route. Unless they are sponsored like we are, it would be difficult for them to even afford quality supplements.”

Pushing for Change

Cheema Palwinder, a former Asian Games champion weight lifter, knows the challenges of being an athlete in India. Now obese with painful joints, he looks a decade older than his 33 years.

“In my day there was not so much testing,” said Palwinder, the superintendent of police in Punjab, where he presides over a dusty agricultural town with fields full of tractors and bullock carts. “When I was competing on the international level, I learned about steroids from athletes who came from countries with more sophisticated doping programs. They showed me what drugs would stay in my system and which ones would quickly flush out.”

Palwinder said he was trying to educate coaches, athletes and their parents about the effects of performance-enhancing drugs. But given the magnitude of the problem, he said, it is probably a losing battle.

Rajkumar Merathia, a boxing coach at the National Institute of Sports, is more hopeful.
House hunting near ... the Jura Mountains

A green oasis at the heart of a concrete jungle
A table-to-farm pioneer

Advertising

“Sports in India is much better than it was 20 years ago,” Merathia said as he shouted commands to a teenage girl who traded bloody noses with her male opponent on a grass field. “We are starting athletes out younger, and we are winning more medals than we used to.”

The Sports Authority of India, part of a government ministry, supports tens of thousands of athletes with a minimal full-time permanent staff: three sports medicine doctors, six physiotherapists, three physiologists, two psychologists and one nutritionist, Chandran said by email. Even the best athletes feel shortchanged.

Om Prakash Singh was dejected and depressed after placing 19th in the shot-put at the London Olympics. He returned to the National Institute of Sports, which offered limited medical care.

“It’s so difficult to adjust to training in India after training in Europe and the United States,” Singh, 26, said after a workout as he folded his 6-foot-7-inch, 304-pound body into a blue plastic barrel filled with ice water. “Look at our facilities. If someone offered you steroids and said you would not get caught, wouldn’t you take them too?”

Blademaster
09 Jan 14,, 23:08

India ranks near bottom of nuclear material security index (http://www.thehindubusinessline.com/news/india-ranks-near-bottom-of-nuclear-material-security-index/article5557095.ece)

And does this have anything to do with the Olympics or are you going to continue to go out of your way and find news article that shows how dysfunctional India is? Why don't you save us the trouble and start a thread on how dysfunctional India is to engage your predilections and save us the trouble from having to read your thread once we know what it is? :rolleyes:

rj1
10 Jan 14,, 01:58
If we're going to have a discussion about the Olympics, let's have one on Bobby Ryan being left out of the U.S. Hockey Team, and we're going to beat the Russians on their home ice! :D

(in all seriousness, expect a come down for the Americans from their 2010 silver)

bonehead
10 Jan 14,, 04:16
If we're going to have a discussion about the Olympics, let's have one on Bobby Ryan being left out of the U.S. Hockey Team, and we're going to beat the Russians on their home ice! :D

(in all seriousness, expect a come down for the Americans from their 2010 silver)

Hockey? Thats nothing. Figure skating is where nations hang their pride and the judging is not biassed at all………….

Even on the computer I can't say that with a straight face.:biggrin:

troung
10 Jan 14,, 18:53
Winter Olympics suck anyways.

Doktor
10 Jan 14,, 19:01
Curling is where nations hang their pride

Fixed

YellowFever
10 Jan 14,, 19:08

Bite your tongue.

In the Winter Olympics, the women actually look like women.

In the Summer Olympics, they look like men with wigs on.

bonehead
10 Jan 14,, 19:32
Fixed

As much as curling is a…for lack of a better term... "sport", at least the judges can't be biased about the scoring like they are in figure skating. I am convinced that events like figure skating should be regulated to "entrainment purposes only" and no scoring/medals should be involved.

Doktor
10 Jan 14,, 19:37
As much as curling is a…for lack of a better term... "sport", at least the judges can't be biased about the scoring like they are in figure skating. I am convinced that events like figure skating should be regulated to "entrainment purposes only" and no scoring/medals should be involved.

They are a counterpart to rhythmic gymnastics on summer Olympics. Waiting the day for Zumba on ice to become Olympics sport.

Albany Rifles
10 Jan 14,, 19:56
Nearly 500 have tested positive for banned substances since 2009, when India’s National Anti-Doping Agency, known as NADA, became fully functional. In 2012 alone, 178 Indians were barred from competition. Russia has had the second-highest number of suspensions, with more than 260 athletes barred since 2009.

Pffffft!

According to this study over 1.3 million Americans have used PEDs!!!!

Performance Enhancing Drugs (http://www.ideafit.com/fitness-library/performance-enhancing-drugs)

USA!!! USA!!!!

troung
10 Jan 14,, 20:07
According to this study over 1.3 million Americans have used PEDs!!!!

It's an IQ test anyways.

Bite your tongue.

Figure skating, skiing and such are not sports. And no real American watches hockey.

YellowFever
10 Jan 14,, 20:45
Figure skating, skiing and such are not sports. And no real American watches hockey.

Never said it was but you can't beat the entertainment value.

It's the only thing I can watch where if the missus accuse me of being a dirty old man for watching young things in skimpy dresse prancing around, I can respond, "But honey, I'm watching sports!"

As far as hockey being not watched by Americans....can't argue with you there.

Officer of Engineers
10 Jan 14,, 21:06
In the Summer Olympics, they look like men with wigs on.You call this a man?

http://static2.demotix.com/sites/default/files/imagecache/a_scale_large/1300-5/photos/1343769076-uks-women-lose-to-italians-during-olympic-beach-volleyball_1364995.jpg

Albany Rifles
10 Jan 14,, 21:35
Colonel,

Consider the source....

Gun Grape
10 Jan 14,, 21:54
In the Summer Olympics, they look like men with wigs on.

Once again your wrong. Or your watching the wrong sport.

Three words.
Woman's beach volleyball

(Edit: Damn the Col beat me to it)

tbm3fan
10 Jan 14,, 22:51
It's an IQ test anyways.

In 1980 I watched hockey!

YellowFever
10 Jan 14,, 22:52
Blah, blah, blah...

Blah, blah, blah....

Blah, blah, blah...

Gentlemen, I know where you're coming from, I really do.

You gents feel that anybody in skimpy clothing qualifies as sexy and I would too if I was older than dirt but let's look at the facts please.

Firstly, female beach volleyball in the Olympics is a recent phenomenon. It was started less than a few Summer Olympics ago because the organizers knew most of their female Olympians looked like this and had to counter that image at all cost.

Second, "hot" is relative.

Yes, those beach volleyballers are somewhat hot......compared to most of their weightlifters

It's not that different from when a man who's starved for 10 days thinking a big mac is gourmet cuisine.

But would you select any of them over these hot chicks?

And I haven't even gotten to the figure skaters or the snow bunnies that occupy most curling teams.....

In short, gentlemen, when I ask a woman for a six pack, I want them to bring it to me with sparkles in their eyes, not lift up their shirts and show me one that's engraved on their tummy....or spike me in the face with a volleyball.

Officer of Engineers
10 Jan 14,, 23:37
What a numbskull

http://s3-live.tapcdn.com/images/tap/5/d/4/f/6/81f/6ce/500-animate/michelle-jenneke-dancing-gif.gif
http://www.totalprosports.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/ivet-lalova-gif-hot-female-athlete-gifs.gif
http://www.totalprosports.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/caroline-wozniacki-wiggle-hot-female-athlete-gifs.gif

Bigfella
11 Jan 14,, 00:34

Always remind me of some 50s American TV show - wall to wall white people with the occasional darker face briefly appearing in shot.

Switzerland & Austria are Winter Olympics powerhouses. Nuff said.

YellowFever
11 Jan 14,, 01:11
What a numbskull

http://s3-live.tapcdn.com/images/tap/5/d/4/f/6/81f/6ce/500-animate/michelle-jenneke-dancing-gif.gif

I knew someone would bring up Michelle Jenneke. :mad:

It's so sad that BF lives closer to her than I do.

Bigfella
11 Jan 14,, 01:15
I knew someone would bring up Michelle Jenneke. :mad:

It's so sad that BF lives closer to her than I do.

Yeah, I see her 2-3 times a week. Must live nearby. :biggrin:

Gun Grape
11 Jan 14,, 03:32
And I haven't even gotten to the figure skaters or the snow bunnies that occupy most curling teams.....

In short, gentlemen, when I ask a woman for a six pack, I want them to bring it to me with sparkles in their eyes, not lift up their shirts and show me one that's engraved on their tummy....or spike me in the face with a volleyball.

So you are intimidated by these women.

bonehead
11 Jan 14,, 07:14
If any mods complain about this thread being hijacked there will be hell to pay.

Doktor
11 Jan 14,, 08:18
If any mods complain about this thread being hijacked there will be hell to pay.

But Hell literally frozen :biggrin:

YellowFever
11 Jan 14,, 09:17

They won't.

They're chicken.

Hell, the female summer Olympians more more manly than they are.

Minskaya
11 Jan 14,, 10:02
They won't.

They're chicken.

Hell, the female summer Olympians more more manly than they are.

I'm 6' plus and play floor/beach volleyball all the time. Lol. No one has ever accused me of being manly.

Doktor
11 Jan 14,, 12:23
I'm 6' plus and play floor/beach volleyball all the time. Lol. No one has ever accused me of being manly.

You learn something new here.

Gun Grape
11 Jan 14,, 22:09
Second, "hot" is relative.

Yes, those beach volleyballers are somewhat hot......compared to most of their weightlifters

It's not that different from when a man who's starved for 10 days thinking a big mac is gourmet cuisine.

Wow just googled womens curling.

You prefer this to the summer olympic athletes that the Col and I posted?

I guess to each their own.

Gun Grape
11 Jan 14,, 22:27

:whome: :biggrin:

Doktor
11 Jan 14,, 23:17
Gunny,

Under no circumstances do not, and I repeat, DO NOT google female ice hockey players.

10, 9, 8... I know he will do it

Albany Rifles
12 Jan 14,, 00:48
I just realized I "liked" a post that dissed hockey!!!

For that I cross checked myself 3 times and sat out for a 5 minute major.

I feel shame. (Gratuitous "Slap Shot" reference)

Doktor
12 Jan 14,, 00:50
Now imagine my confusion when i saw the like.

Albany Rifles
12 Jan 14,, 02:16
It was figure skating and my brain froze.....

Gun Grape
12 Jan 14,, 02:54
Gunny,

Under no circumstances do not, and I repeat, DO NOT google female ice hockey players.

10, 9, 8... I know he will do it

Don't worry. I could not imagine the horror.

Doktor
19 Jan 14,, 18:00
Why Sochi Is By Far The Most Expensive Olympics Ever - Business Insider (http://www.businessinsider.com/why-sochi-is-by-far-the-most-expensive-olympics-ever-2014-1)

Minskaya
19 Jan 14,, 18:49
Why Sochi Is By Far The Most Expensive Olympics Ever - Business Insider (http://www.businessinsider.com/why-sochi-is-by-far-the-most-expensive-olympics-ever-2014-1)
No surprise. Cronyism, corruption, and bad decisions. The selection of Sochi is in itself astonishing.

Parihaka
19 Jan 14,, 19:12
There is NOTHING hotter than a chick on sticks.

Parihaka
19 Jan 14,, 19:19
Except this
If Elena Myers skied as well I'd die from pleasure

Doktor
21 Jan 14,, 11:02
BBC Sport - Violinist Vanessa Mae set to compete at Winter Olympics (http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/winter-olympics/25802907)

Woot.

Tamara
21 Jan 14,, 11:15
Arguing aside, for me what will determine whether or not I watch is the amount of junk they put on the screen, whether they are showing the sport or someone talk about it.

Once upon a time, I was watching figure skating on NBC I think and was fascinated by the clear picture, of being about to see it on a big screen (then a CRT).

But over the years, I have become increasingly distressed because watching sports has become not seeing the sport but having to watch it like a Terminator in that they fill the screen with extra stuff, be it advertising for other shows, scores from other games, or whatever.

I now have a 40 and 42 inch flat screen. Show me the sport in all its graphic display and show me nothing else.............................................. .

..................................otherwise, the heck with it and I'll watch a classic movie instead.

sated buddha
21 Jan 14,, 11:23
Show me the sport in all its graphic display and show me nothing else

I agree completely. I used to love watching boxing (especially old classics) on TV. Till the day about a year ago I saw live my first MMA fight. I was standing in the third row from the ropes. And I could see and almost sense the fear in one of the fighters when the other went for him after both had ben sizing each other up for some time. You can almost see the pupils dilate. And HEAR the natural thud of contact, which you just do not get on TV. That day spolied it for me for boxing on TV after that.

bonehead
21 Jan 14,, 17:33
Arguing aside, for me what will determine whether or not I watch is the amount of junk they put on the screen, whether they are showing the sport or someone talk about it.

Once upon a time, I was watching figure skating on NBC I think and was fascinated by the clear picture, of being about to see it on a big screen (then a CRT).

But over the years, I have become increasingly distressed because watching sports has become not seeing the sport but having to watch it like a Terminator in that they fill the screen with extra stuff, be it advertising for other shows, scores from other games, or whatever.

I now have a 40 and 42 inch flat screen. Show me the sport in all its graphic display and show me nothing else.............................................. .

..................................otherwise, the heck with it and I'll watch a classic movie instead.

LOL. If you want the sport and nothing but the sport you absolutely have to ditch network TV and get a different feed.

Tamara
22 Jan 14,, 00:47
LOL. If you want the sport and nothing but the sport you absolutely have to ditch network TV and get a different feed.

Tell me about it!

When I got on that kick a few years back, I tried to go into ESPN world, thinking 2 channels, the entire world out there, lots of beautiful imagery.

ESPN today is one of the things that makes me scream so loud, quietly, about TV today. It is so much about people talking about sports, behind a counter, interviewing a Head, and so little about actually showing sports.

You're the Sports Network and you are telling me that in this world, there isn't some sport going on somewhere 24 hours a day? I don't care if it's the bungie jumping finals in Tahiti, show sports, don't talk about it!

But......when they do, it is in Terminator fashion
with so much extra information provided. Some of it that applies to the game like what they have done to football, some of it the sport like showing the scores for other games, bottom screen advertising, and so forth.

But I don't want it like that, I want to enjoy the view........so for the most part, I have give up on watching sports on TV........as I have given up watching most of TV.

Doktor
22 Jan 14,, 00:50
That's why I watch snooker on EuroSport ;)

Tamara
23 Jan 14,, 08:25
That's why I watch snooker on EuroSport ;)

If it works for you, I'm glad.

We don't get that around here but even if we did, I don't think I would bother. Organized TV has burned me, perturbed me enough that I don't think I'll ever go back, don't think I'll ever again give any aspect of it a chance.

Doktor
23 Jan 14,, 09:11
If it works for you, I'm glad.

We don't get that around here but even if we did, I don't think I would bother. Organized TV has burned me, perturbed me enough that I don't think I'll ever go back, don't think I'll ever again give any aspect of it a chance.

Actually, we don't get Terminator-like screens over here. They come with a price. Macedonian national TV being the broadcaster of the Olympics means two things. No stats, but the time/result and poor commentary.

Doktor
28 Jan 14,, 18:44
No surprise. Cronyism, corruption, and bad decisions. The selection of Sochi is in itself astonishing.

Nicely done infogrphic.

http://sochi.fbk.info/en/award/

Minskaya
28 Jan 14,, 22:33
Nicely done infogrphic.

Sochi 2014 : Encyclopedia of Spending (http://sochi.fbk.info/en/award/)

Doktor... you can continue westward with that map and enter Ukraine. Do you like boats and fishing? Find Prip'yat/Chernobyl up by the border with Belarus. You can get on a boat way up there and go all the way to the very southern tip of the Crimea. You will go through Kyiv and about six other major cities on the journey south.

Doktor
28 Jan 14,, 22:36
Doktor... you can continue westward with that map and enter Ukraine. Do you like boats and fishing? Find Prip'yat/Chernobyl up by the border with Belarus. You can get on a boat way up there and go all the way to the very southern tip of the Crimea. You will go through Kyiv and about six other major cities on the journey south.

I am sure you have best intentions for me to see the nice side of Ukraine, but mentioning Chernobyl somehow makes the idea to stay on the map.

Minskaya
28 Jan 14,, 22:52
I am sure you have best intentions for me to see the nice side of Ukraine, but mentioning Chernobyl somehow makes the idea to stay on the map.
Board south of the Exclusion Zone. It is safe :) The water-voyage through Ukraine is quite remarkable.

Oh yeah, make sure you have a guide that speaks both Ukrainian and Russian.

MrSecond
04 Feb 14,, 21:19
In Krasnodar combine harvester was used as a carrier for Olymic Flame. (http://www.livekuban.ru/node/539771)

...and video here (http://mir24.net/news-russia/316-russian-socium/11680-v-krasnodare-olimpijskij-ogon-prokatili-na-kombajne)

Albany Rifles
04 Feb 14,, 21:49
I believe I'll just stay home and watch on TV.

Sochi Olympic hotels report construction delays - CNN.com (http://www.cnn.com/2014/02/03/travel/sochi-olympic-hotels/)

BBC News - Twitter storm in Russia over Sochi Olympics twin toilet (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-25830617)

MrSecond
04 Feb 14,, 22:24
It's an innovative toilet for pair figure scating, also for pair bobsled and so on.
It's kinda teambuilding. :Dancing-Banana:

And we have ones for hockey teams:

Albany Rifles
05 Feb 14,, 14:19
A bathroom is different than a WW 2 latrine.

Those open toilet bays are long gone in MOST US military facilities...and you won't find the open bays in most of the Western world's civilian sector other than urinals.

Doktor
05 Feb 14,, 14:25
Great first impressions.

Journalists at Sochi are live-tweeting their hilarious and gross hotel experiences (http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/worldviews/wp/2014/02/04/journalists-at-sochi-are-live-tweeting-their-hilarious-and-gross-hotel-experiences/)

MrSecond
05 Feb 14,, 21:35
Documentary from Olympic construction:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iClryppl1c

Minskaya
05 Feb 14,, 23:19
Great first impressions.

Journalists at Sochi are live-tweeting their hilarious and gross hotel experiences (http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/worldviews/wp/2014/02/04/journalists-at-sochi-are-live-tweeting-their-hilarious-and-gross-hotel-experiences/)
Lol. Compared to the primitive conditions in some of the local villages, Olympic Village is a paradise. Places like Akhshtyr are probably off-limits to foreign visitors though.

If I could give one piece of advice to athletes, media, and visitors it would be this... check, double-check, and triple-check the beds and bedding's for critters.

Be advised also that some pesticides banned in the West are used for critter control.

MrSecond
06 Feb 14,, 00:05
Welcome to Russia.
Russian police will keep you safe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUbC6xAOgHM&feature=player_embedded

YellowFever
06 Feb 14,, 04:17
:biggrin:

http://msn.foxsports.com/olympics/medal-detector/now-there-s-a-sochi-pillow-shortage-020514

Minskaya
06 Feb 14,, 10:26
A couple more tidbits of advice for Sochi visitors.

Comms - Leave your cellphone at home and use a 'clean' cellphone. Set up a temporary e-mail account. The FSB can listen-in on any communications within Russia. In addition, Russian hackers often have access to cellphone towers.

Flirting - 50,000 Russian women marry Americans every year. The internet is full of eastern European women looking to hook up with a male Western neophyte. They want to get out of there. When they clean up, young Russian women are sexy and gorgeous. Think of models with boobs. Be aware that there is a high incidence of alcoholism/drug abuse/STD's in this demographic. Always use a condom and never leave your wallet/valuables/phone unattended.

MrSecond
06 Feb 14,, 13:16
After Snowden's case warnings about FSB reading somebody's email look a bit ridiculous...

Doktor
06 Feb 14,, 13:25
After Snowden's case warnings about FSB reading somebody's email look a bit ridiculous...

Why?

sated buddha
06 Feb 14,, 13:36
Flirting - 50,000 Russian women marry Americans every year. The internet is full of eastern European women looking to hook up with a male Western neophyte. They want to get out of there. When they clean up, young Russian women are sexy and gorgeous. Think of models with boobs. Be aware that there is a high incidence of alcoholism/drug abuse/STD's in this demographic. Always use a condom and never leave your wallet/valuables/phone unattended.

I hope you are suggesting premarital sex culminating in marriage("hooking up/getting out"). Because otherwise, the statements highlighted technically constitute rape per the word of law (sex by deceit/wrongful promises).

bonehead
06 Feb 14,, 16:39
I hope you are suggesting premarital sex culminating in marriage("hooking up/getting out"). Because otherwise, the statements highlighted technically constitute rape per the word of law (sex by deceit/wrongful promises).

Using sex is how 50% of the women get married in the west. You'd be amazed at how their sexual appetite changes once they get a taste of wedding cake and feel the pressure on their finger from the ring. Rape is all about consent or lack thereof for western laws.

YellowFever
06 Feb 14,, 21:20
Rumor: Putin's girlfriend will light the Olympic flame.

Wow, it must be true love between them. She's actually carrying a torch for him. :eek:

FJV
06 Feb 14,, 22:33
Using sex is how 50% of the women get married in the west.

I wonder how often you need to get married to make that statement with any mathematical confidence.

Doktor
07 Feb 14,, 06:58
I wonder how often you need to get married to make that statement with any mathematical confidence.

Minimum 2 times :biggrin:

Minskaya
07 Feb 14,, 11:08
http://ww4.hdnux.com/photos/26/21/50/5839423/4/628x471.jpg
"The practice of sport is a human right. Every individual must have the possibility of practicing sport,
without discrimination of any kind and in the Olympic spirit, which requires mutual understanding
with a spirit of friendship, solidarity and fair play." –Olympic Charter

The new Google Doodle is a rainbow image which coincides with the opening of the Winter Games in Sochi, Russia. Google has long been a supporter of gay rights. Although Google declined to comment on the Doodle that appeared on its home pages worldwide saying it wanted the illustration to speak for itself, it is clearly a rebuke to Russian anti-LGBT legislation.

omon
07 Feb 14,, 16:52
8 Viral Sochi Olympics Photos That Are Total Lies | (http://www.mnenra.com/archives/109)

bonehead
07 Feb 14,, 17:56
http://ww4.hdnux.com/photos/26/21/50/5839423/4/628x471.jpg
"The practice of sport is a human right. Every individual must have the possibility of practicing sport,
without discrimination of any kind and in the Olympic spirit, which requires mutual understanding
with a spirit of friendship, solidarity and fair play." –Olympic Charter

The new Google Doodle is a rainbow image which coincides with the opening of the Winter Games in Sochi, Russia. Google has long been a supporter of gay rights. Although Google declined to comment on the Doodle that appeared on its home pages worldwide saying it wanted the illustration to speak for itself, it is clearly a rebuke to Russian anti-LGBT legislation.

I will be that guy:

Google is run by a bunch of narrow minded hypocrites. The Olympic charter is talking about THE RIGHT TO COMPETE. There is nothing in the Russian law that says homosexuals can't compete in the games unless throwing homosexual propaganda at children now an Olympic event. Secondly, those in the homosexual community are calling for a boycott/ban of the games. If successful that would be the only way to bar homosexuals from competing would it not? The bottom line is that if you want to compete then do so. There is absolutely nothing keeping qualified athletes from competing so quit lying and bitching about a law that has absolutely nothing to do with the Olympics.

omon
07 Feb 14,, 19:42
10 Things You Didn’t Know About
Russia’s Anti-Gay Law & LGBT Rights
1. The law never mentions or uses the word gay, lesbian, homosexual or any other
LGBT identifier. [Chapter 2 & Appendix]
2. The law focuses on children, it’s title is “On Protections of Minors from Propaganda
of Non-Traditional Sexual Relations”. The messaging and strategy to bring the ban
on propaganda from the law of several regions to national laws is part of a larger
family values push and is based on the successful anti-same sex marriage push in
the United States. [Chapter 2]
3. Russia is actually expanding protections of members of the LGBT community: On
September 20, 2013 the official delegation of the Russia Federation announced
their willingness to take all required measures to prevent homophobic hate crimes
and discrimination on grounds of sexual orientation at the 24th UN Human Rights
Council. [Chapter 2]
4. There have been regional (much harsher) versions of the propaganda ban in effect
for 7 years and there were only 2 convictions for violations of the regional laws and
both were overturned. [Chapter 3]
5. In 6 months of the Federal Law there have been 3 convictions: 2 were acts of civil
disobedience to challenge the legality of the law, the other is a story which you must
read. [Chapter 3]
6. Statistically you are far more likely to be the victim of an anti-LGBT Hate Crime in
the United States than in Russia. [Chapter 4]
7. In Russia you cannot be fired from your job for being an LGBT individual, in the
United States you can. [Chapter 4]
8. Since 1993 gay sex was made legal in Russia, in 12 US States gay sex is a crime.
[Chapter 4]
9. While President Obama says “I have no patience for countries that try to treat gays
or lesbians or transgender persons in ways that intimidate them or are harmful to
them.” his policies demonstrate he has nothing but patience. [Chapter 5]
10. The group impacted most if found to be in violation of the law: Multinational
corporations. [Chapter 6]

http://static.prisonplanet.com/p/images/february2014/white_paper.pdf

MrSecond
07 Feb 14,, 20:14
Has just finished watching the ceremony.
Cool, amazing, beautiful! Fantastic! I enjoyed it very much.

MrSecond
07 Feb 14,, 20:19
The most luxury ceremony ever. :danc:

Doktor
07 Feb 14,, 20:26
I liked the ceremony. It was so Russian (in positive way), I only missed snow :red:

MrSecond
07 Feb 14,, 21:25
...and yes, that's true :slap:
Translation:
It wasn't stolen, just haven't finished yet.

sated buddha
08 Feb 14,, 00:13
I liked the ceremony. It was so Russian (in positive way), I only missed snow :red:

Was traveling with the mother of an American skier who was flying to Sochi in an emergency because one of his skis had broken and she was getting him a new pair. She was discussing his training with his mates. Seems they are using some different kind of artificial snow for the slopes that is making things very difficult for western skiers. Lots of falls and accidents in practice apparently. What struck me was how matter of factly she was also in the same breath discussing the very real possibility (and of course her hopes and prayers) that he would get Gold (I'm forgetting his name). And here she was traveling like any other normal person. We really need to figure out a way to get golds. I admire China a lot for how they have come up so quickly in sports. I know of their system and their special schools etc. but I also know being an ex sportsman myself that there is no winning without a huge amount of sacrifice and pain. Lots of pain.

bonehead
08 Feb 14,, 01:14
Was traveling with the mother of an American skier who was flying to Sochi in an emergency because one of his skis had broken and she was getting him a new pair. She was discussing his training with his mates. Seems they are using some different kind of artificial snow for the slopes that is making things very difficult for western skiers. Lots of falls and accidents in practice apparently. What struck me was how matter of factly she was also in the same breath discussing the very real possibility (and of course her hopes and prayers) that he would get Gold (I'm forgetting his name). And here she was traveling like any other normal person. We really need to figure out a way to get golds. I admire China a lot for how they have come up so quickly in sports. I know of their system and their special schools etc. but I also know being an ex sportsman myself that there is no winning without a huge amount of sacrifice and pain. Lots of pain.

The guy went to the olympics with one pair of skis? Unbelievable.

sated buddha
08 Feb 14,, 05:52
The guy went to the olympics with one pair of skis? Unbelievable.

He went with 3 pairs. One broke in training. Apparently these are not the kind you can go to a store and pick off the shelf. Or maybe he was getting the pre-competition jitters and just wanted mom by his side. :)

Minskaya
08 Feb 14,, 09:49
Moved to the Sports forum now that competition has commenced

Doktor
08 Feb 14,, 13:15
First gold goes to USA.

Superb run by Kotsenburg.

Minskaya
08 Feb 14,, 14:13
Three of the five Israeli athletes competing at Sochi were born in Ukraine :biggrin:

Minskaya
08 Feb 14,, 16:04
Trapped in a bathroom without any way of escaping, U.S. Olympic bobsledder Johnny Quinn was left with just one alternative. Break it down.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bf8PHIcIMAEhTRp.jpg

Source (http://ftw.usatoday.com/2014/02/johnny-quinn-usa-bobsled-locked-out-sochi/)

The judges rated this a 9.5 :biggrin:

bonehead
08 Feb 14,, 20:07
OK before I get all hot and bothered….Might even watch the Russians curling….but I have to ask. Is Alexander a man's name or a woman's name in Russia? Being the Olympics you can't be too careful.
Scantily Clad Russian Olympians Are Making Us Uncomfortable (http://shine.yahoo.com/fashion/scantily-clad-russian-olympians-are-making-us-uncomfortable-230750259.html)

Minskaya
08 Feb 14,, 20:26
Is Alexander a man's name or a woman's name in Russia? Being the Olympics you can't be too careful.
Alexander (Aleksandr/Александр) is male.

Alexandra (Aleksandra/Александра) is the female counterpart.

PS. Her true name is Alexandra Saitova and her friends would call her Alexa

bonehead
08 Feb 14,, 21:08
Alexander (Aleksandr/Александр) is male.

Alexandra (Aleksandra/Александра) is the female counterpart.

PS. Her true name is Alexandra Saitova and her friends would call her Alexa

So her name under the picture is a typo. I feel better already. Thanks.

MrSecond
08 Feb 14,, 21:19
According to the German newspaper Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung, Russian Olympic skiers have helped out the German skiers and biathletes by lending them the equipment to prepare the skiing gear, since the Germans had problems with their own gear.

The President of the German Olympic Sports Union, DOSB, Alphonse Hermann, said that it’s the first time that he’s come across this kind of display of solidarity since he was elected to his current office. He called attention to the fact that the Russian team has helped their immediate rival. If the Russians had refused to help, the German skiers would have had 40 pairs of brand new non-ground skis to compete on, he added.

According to Hermann, the teams of Austria and Switzerland had previously turned down the Germans’ request. There are two sides to every question, the German sports functionary said philosophically.

Russian Olympic skiers help out Germans (http://voiceofrussia.com/news/2014_02_08/Spirit-of-brotherhood-in-Sochi-Russian-Olympic-skiers-help-out-Germans-9260/)

MrSecond
08 Feb 14,, 22:37

Yes, I agree it was very Russian.
And there were some funny moments - funny for Russians mostly, I suppose. Like Nikolai Valuyev being a traffic policeman, or famous Russian actors in the short movie about Greeks, although I didn't catch what was the point of this movie - but anyway that was funny.

Doktor
09 Feb 14,, 02:13
OK before I get all hot and bothered….Might even watch the Russians curling….but I have to ask. Is Alexander a man's name or a woman's name in Russia? Being the Olympics you can't be too careful.
Scantily Clad Russian Olympians Are Making Us Uncomfortable (http://shine.yahoo.com/fashion/scantily-clad-russian-olympians-are-making-us-uncomfortable-230750259.html)

Wonder how cheerful you'd have been if you have seen the other (http://www.avataram.ru/celebs/img2/ekaterina-galkina-2.jpg) members of the team (http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/01/24/article-0-1AEE76D500000578-996_634x379.jpg). To add some disapointment, Lyudmila Privivkova (http://st2-fashiony.ru/pic/style/pic/8447/5.jpg) was cut off from the national team for not going well with the others ;)

bonehead
09 Feb 14,, 04:05
According to the German newspaper Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung, Russian Olympic skiers have helped out the German skiers and biathletes by lending them the equipment to prepare the skiing gear, since the Germans had problems with their own gear.

The President of the German Olympic Sports Union, DOSB, Alphonse Hermann, said that it’s the first time that he’s come across this kind of display of solidarity since he was elected to his current office. He called attention to the fact that the Russian team has helped their immediate rival. If the Russians had refused to help, the German skiers would have had 40 pairs of brand new non-ground skis to compete on, he added.

According to Hermann, the teams of Austria and Switzerland had previously turned down the Germans’ request. There are two sides to every question, the German sports functionary said philosophically.

Russian Olympic skiers help out Germans (http://voiceofrussia.com/news/2014_02_08/Spirit-of-brotherhood-in-Sochi-Russian-Olympic-skiers-help-out-Germans-9260/)

Good for them, that is what the Olympic spirit is all about. Kind of a shame Austria and Switzerland forgot that.

bonehead
09 Feb 14,, 04:09
Wonder how cheerful you'd have been if you have seen the other (http://www.avataram.ru/celebs/img2/ekaterina-galkina-2.jpg) members of the team (http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/01/24/article-0-1AEE76D500000578-996_634x379.jpg). To add some disapointment, Lyudmila Privivkova (http://st2-fashiony.ru/pic/style/pic/8447/5.jpg) was cut off from the national team for not going well with the others ;)

Well thats a shame but the saying goes, " No matter how beautiful she is there is always someone who is sick of her crap". BTW don't show those pictures to the Colonel. We don't want him horning in on the action.;)

bonehead
09 Feb 14,, 04:17
Source (http://ftw.usatoday.com/2014/02/johnny-quinn-usa-bobsled-locked-out-sochi/)

The judges rated this a 9.5 :biggrin:

Thats what you get when you lock tankie in the bathroom and someone yells, "OPEN BAR!!"

Julie
09 Feb 14,, 04:48
Thats what you get when you lock tankie in the bathroom and someone yells, "OPEN BAR!!"Pretty much. :biggrin:

Minskaya
09 Feb 14,, 10:15
I learned to ice skate at an early age (there is no shortage of ice and snow in Ukraine) and I keep abreast of national/international championship competitions.

I have to say, I am again greatly impressed with Yulia Lipnitskaya of the Russian Federation who is the current European Ladies Champion. Although only 15 years old (she made the Olympic age cutoff by 23 days), Ms Lipnitskaya dazzled everyone with her short program (You Don't Give Up on Love by Mark Minkov) and rocketed into first place. Compact, lithe, and graceful, she nails her jumps with ease and precision. I have never seen anyone with better spins... simply extraordinary. She has the advantage of skating on home ice before a home crowd. If her free skate program (Schindler's List (soundtrack) by John Williams) matches her short program, she could very well win the Olympic Ladies Gold.

ambidex
09 Feb 14,, 10:45

What it has to do with Olympics ?

Bigfella
09 Feb 14,, 12:44
What it has to do with Olympics ?

We've moved on in the past month Captain India. Got anything to say about the games? Bore me to tears personally. My favourite moment is Australia's 'accidental medallist':

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Z6GnUTVAF0

MrSecond
09 Feb 14,, 12:57
Lipnitskaya is ok, she's like little nice butterfly. :)
What grabs attention of Russians - maybe most of all about fugure skating - Evgeny Plyuschenko's come back. :wors:
Though that would be kinda miracle if he won gold, but he shows great shape and exellent skating.
And just yesterday we saw the alive legend Bjorndalen became the oldest Olympic Champion ever. That means there is nothing impossible. So... Plyuschenko, go!!! :biggrin:

tankie
09 Feb 14,, 13:05
Yes, I agree it was very Russian.
And there were some funny moments - funny for Russians mostly, I suppose. Like Nikolai Valuyev being a traffic policeman, or famous Russian actors in the short movie about Greeks, although I didn't catch what was the point of this movie - but anyway that was funny.

Maybe to emulate the beginning of Olympiad , where it all started . :)

http://uk.search.yahoo.com/r/_ylt=A7x9Qb8fb_dSqjUAheNLBQx.;_ylu=X3oDMTE1aHE1NDJ wBHNlYwNzcgRwb3MDNARjb2xvA2lyZAR2dGlkA01TWVVLMDNfN zY-/SIG=120fh3s0t/EXP=1391976351/**http%3a//www.olympic.org/ancient-olympic-games

Minskaya
09 Feb 14,, 17:27
Lipnitskaya is ok, she's like little nice butterfly. :)
This 15-year-old may be the best story of these Winter Olympics. The skating world exploded in Tweets after her short-program performance.

Network commentary by skating greats Tara Lipinski and Johnny Weir...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_03tQrnLls

No doubt her long-program will draw a full house and a huge network audience worldwide.

JAD_333
09 Feb 14,, 17:47
Lipnitskaya, a ballerina on ice. Wonderful to watch.

Doktor
09 Feb 14,, 18:02
Lipnitskaya, a ballerina on ice. Wonderful to watch.

Indeed. I had little vertigo moment from just watching all that spinning.

bonehead
09 Feb 14,, 20:24
I just hate that the judges decide the winners and losers. The olympics just began and already there have been claims of collusion by the judges. Nothing new I suppose. Figure skaters are athletes and damned good at what they do but figure skating is the original "reality show". Drama, drama, drama.

MrSecond
09 Feb 14,, 21:25
Maybe to emulate the beginning of Olympiad , where it all started . :)

Yes, probably. But what they did in the movie - they were raising some wooden installations - I didn't understand what was that. It resembled a fort or something. Just now watched the movie with comments from another channel. That was movie about "many centuries of building" in Russia. In general. Nice movie, anyway.

Doktor
09 Feb 14,, 22:00
I just hate that the judges decide the winners and losers. The olympics just began and already there have been claims of collusion by the judges. Nothing new I suppose. Figure skaters are athletes and damned good at what they do but figure skating is the original "reality show". Drama, drama, drama.
Snowboarding is in that camp, as well. Seen how much time it took the judges to rate the Canadian as 4th?

MrSecond
09 Feb 14,, 22:07
Figure skaters are athletes and damned good at what they do but figure skating is the original "reality show".

As for me, the Ice Dancing is not my favorite kind of figure skating because it's very predictable. Right now we can call the prize three places, the winners, USA gets gold, Canada - silver, Russia - bronze. Sportsmen of this sport do not compete in real time. Instead their reputations and results of past season work for them and win the medals. No place for tension and surprise.

Doktor
09 Feb 14,, 23:55
As for me, the Ice Dancing is not my favorite kind of figure skating because it's very predictable. Right now we can call the prize three places, the winners, USA gets gold, Canada - silver, Russia - bronze. Sportsmen of this sport do not compete in real time. Instead their reputations and results of past season work for them and win the medals. No place for tension and surprise.

I hate Figure Skating since I was a kid. I hated it because it was always on the air in the same time as the cartoons - 7 pm. I swear it was a conspiracy against me, because it really didn't matter if the event is in USA, Germany, USSR or Japan, it was 7pm sharp. Back then we had 1 TV set per household with only two programs.
Needless to say we had this fantastic TV commentary from some Croatian woman who very pedantically explained who wore what and from what material. Yes the TVs were still predominantly B/W in late 70's/ early 80's.

No place for tension you say? You clearly missed Surya Bonali back in the days. I see she is back in the focus these days with her back slop landing on one foot.

BTW, from what I can understand, the wife and friends in the other room were all wet and in tears from the performance of the Russian couple.

bonehead
10 Feb 14,, 01:15
Snowboarding is in that camp, as well. Seen how much time it took the judges to rate the Canadian as 4th?

Too many current sports are that way. Thats why I prefer the summer Olympics..track and field. As long as you don't jump the gun, stay in your lane and break the tape there is nothing the judges can do to take the win away from you….unless you fail the UA afterwards. Either way the athlete controls the outcome and not some judge.

MrSecond
10 Feb 14,, 17:00
No place for tension you say? You clearly missed Surya Bonali back in the days.

Surya Bonali comes back? I haven't heard about that. But sorry, but that doesn't make a lot of tension. :rolleyes:
Though she was a pearl in figure skating, she was an actress, fans loved her. She made sport as a show. People always like this, including me.

MrSecond
10 Feb 14,, 20:49

3Russian luger Albert Demchenko, who on Sunday won a silver medal at the Winter Olympic Games in Sochi, has set a personal record of participation in Olympic Games.

The Sochi OIympics are number seven in Demchenko's career. :eek:

In the past, he took part in the 1992, 1994, 1998, 2002, 2006 and 2010 Olympic Games. In 2006 Demchenko also won a silver medal in the single-seat sledge competition.

Albert Demchenko (http://voiceofrussia.com/news/2014_02_09/Russian-luger-Albert-Demchenko-wins-silver-fourth-medal-at-Sochi-Olympics-3923/?slide-1)

YellowFever
11 Feb 14,, 17:56
This just made me curl....

tankie
11 Feb 14,, 19:14

And so it should , no way is it played in a dark room ffs .:slap:

YellowFever
11 Feb 14,, 19:34
Oh...the room is dark.

Didn't notice that before for some reason.

Doktor
11 Feb 14,, 19:52
Oh...the room is dark.

This is scary. Yeller with night vision.

omon
11 Feb 14,, 23:26
what room?????

YellowFever
11 Feb 14,, 23:53
You notice she was on her hands and knees and touching something yellow and rock hard..

(Sorry....had to say that before Minnie comes in to kick my ass...or the colonel does on just general principles)

Gun Grape
12 Feb 14,, 02:03
Oh...the room is dark.

We warned you that doing that thing would make you go blind.:eek:

Doktor
13 Feb 14,, 19:43
When was the last time Norway scored against Canada in hockey? Anyone?

YellowFever
13 Feb 14,, 20:13
We warned you that doing that thing would make you go blind.:eek:

Yeah....

Sorry, Gunny, should have listened to the voices of experience. :red:

Albany Rifles
14 Feb 14,, 18:09
Apparently the US, Canada & The Netherlands all got cool, new flags for Sochi 2014....

Julie
15 Feb 14,, 02:16
Omg :eek:

sated buddha
15 Feb 14,, 05:47
Apparently the US, Canada & The Netherlands all got cool, new flags for Sochi 2014....

I didn't even know till now that there was a country called Team USA.

Minskaya
15 Feb 14,, 08:02

A few more hotties ;)

http://newknd.com/photos_rate/DaryaDomracheva3514088573.jpg
Darya Domracheva - Belarus
Gold - Biathlon/Women 15 km Individual
Gold - Women 10 km Pursuit

http://www.biathlonews.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/JhVpprqVrvw.jpg
Nadezhda Skardino - Belarus
Bronze - Biathlon/Women's 15km Individual

bonehead
15 Feb 14,, 18:34
A few more hotties ;)

http://newknd.com/photos_rate/DaryaDomracheva3514088573.jpg
Darya Domracheva - Belarus
Gold - Biathlon/Women 15 km Individual
Gold - Women 10 km Pursuit

http://www.biathlonews.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/JhVpprqVrvw.jpg
Nadezhda Skardino - Belarus
Bronze - Biathlon/Women's 15km Individual

They can shoot and know how to accessorize. Very nice.

Doktor
15 Feb 14,, 20:49
Hot.Cool...

Minskaya
18 Feb 14,, 09:15
http://cdn.img.rsport.ru/images/72635/05/726350553.jpg

Anton Kushnir (Belarus) won the gold medal in Olympic Men's Aerials, joining Alla Tsuper (Belarus) who won the gold in the Olympic Ladies Aerials on Friday.

http://www1.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Darya%2BDomracheva%2BMedal%2BCeremony%2BWinter%2BO lympics%2B5bu6QadNJx5l.jpg

Darya Domracheva of Minsk, Belarus won gold in the Biathlon Women's Mass Start race becoming the first woman to win three gold Biathlon medals at the same Olympic Games.

bonehead
18 Feb 14,, 17:53
http://cdn.img.rsport.ru/images/72635/05/726350553.jpg

Anton Kushnir (Belarus) won the gold medal in Olympic Men's Aerials, joining Alla Tsuper (Belarus) who won the gold in the Olympic Ladies Aerials on Friday.

http://www1.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Darya%2BDomracheva%2BMedal%2BCeremony%2BWinter%2BO lympics%2B5bu6QadNJx5l.jpg

Darya Domracheva of Minsk, Belarus won gold in the Biathlon Women's Mass Start race becoming the first woman to win three gold Biathlon medals at the same Olympic Games.

She can ski and shoot. A woman after my own heart.

MrSecond
18 Feb 14,, 22:41
Belarus has won 5 gold medals and 1 broze. Population about 10 million people.

Doktor
18 Feb 14,, 22:48
Belarus has won 5 gold medals and 1 broze. Population about 10 million people.

Norway won 7 gold, 4 silver and 7 bronze, for a total of 18 medals. Population slightly over 5 million,

I am in a party-breaking mood.

Albany Rifles
18 Feb 14,, 23:00
And the Netherlands has a population of 16 million and has won 20 medals.

MrSecond
19 Feb 14,, 16:03

I'm not. :)
That wasn't a party. Just... sentence may be. ;)

But that's interesting expression, I'll try to remember.

Russian hockey team has just left the olympic tournament. I believe we need a proper coach, american or canadian one. Ours are just a scrap.

Albany Rifles
19 Feb 14,, 16:50
Originally from the Stanley Cup semis a few years ago but still applies.

He and Malkin better get their butts back to the US before Putin has them playing in the KHL expansion team in Irkutsk!

Doktor
19 Feb 14,, 17:11
Russian hockey team has just left the olympic tournament. I believe we need a proper coach, american or canadian one. Ours are just a scrap.

No coach will score for you. You need to change generations. This one doesn't seem too dedicated, or maybe they broke from the pressure to make something worthy on home turf.

AR, NHL is great league, but it also spoils the players. Besides, Russians were winning before going there.:slap:

JAD_333
19 Feb 14,, 19:45
Norway won 7 gold, 4 silver and 7 bronze, for a total of 18 medals. Population slightly over 5 million,

This time of the year, just getting to the grocery store in Norway is an Olympic event.

andrew
19 Feb 14,, 21:40
US-Born Wild Wins Gold for Russia in Snowboard Giant Slalom

ROSA KHUTOR, Russia, February 19 (R-Sport) – US-born snowboarder Vic Wild won a surprise Olympic gold medal for Russia in the parallel giant slalom Wednesday, minutes after his wife won bronze in the women's event.
Washington state native Wild was half a second down to Switzerland’s Nevin Galmarini before the second run of the final at Rosa Khutor Extreme Park, but blazed back to win by two seconds as his opponent ran wide on the turns.
Wild’s wife Alena Zavarzina, who won bronze for Russia, played a key role in his decision to switch allegiances to Russia in time for the 2011-12 season, citing the low funding for Alpine snowboard events in the US. Since then, Wild has become a snowboard heavyweight, winning world championship bronze last year and taking his first World Cup win in parallel slalom this season.

US-Born Wild Wins Gold for Russia in Snowboard Giant Slalom | Sochi 2014 | RIA Novosti (http://en.ria.ru/sochi2014/20140219/187684359/US-Born-Wild-Wins-Gold-for-Russia-in-Snowboard-Giant-Slalom.html)

Today local TV commentaries are saturated with jokes about the Great Russian snowboarding traditions which allow the former American to became an Olympic champion after a year of training in Russia.
And he's not alone. Russia in an apparent attempt to win more medals in home Olympics had been trying to lure foreign athletes lately.
Another gold and bronze medals were won by a former Olympic champion from South Korea who became a Russian citizen a year ago.

Viktor Ahn's Gold Medal Performance Leaves Koreans with Mixed Feelings

Russian short track skater Viktor Ahn, born Ahn Hyun-soo in Korea, won a gold medal at the 1,000-m race at the Sochi Olympics on Saturday, bringing Russia its first-ever gold in that event.

Many Korean sports fans applauded Ahn as he was seen on TV waving the Russian flag following his victory. But at the same time they also felt a sense of loss since Ahn was a former member of Team Korea who won three gold medals and one bronze medal at the 2006 Torino Olympics before he became a naturalized Russian citizen.

The Chosun Ilbo (English Edition): Daily News from Korea - Viktor Ahn's Gold Medal Performance Leaves Koreans with Mixed Feelings (http://english.chosun.com/site/data/html_dir/2014/02/17/2014021701404.html)

Albany Rifles
19 Feb 14,, 22:55
Doktor, what has happened is the NHLers have learned to adapt to the larger ice surface of international hockey...and then introduced the world to the hard nose version of hockey played in the NHL. It's an in your face hard hitting style the Europeans do not play as well.

Some make the transition and excel (see Chara, Krecji, Seidenberg and Ericson of my beloved Bruins). Others find a niche but do not become a force like they would in KHL.

YellowFever
20 Feb 14,, 05:41
This is why the ice planet Hoth wasn't considered for the Winter Olympics...

http://youtu.be/_mKVJeA-wTw

bonehead
20 Feb 14,, 08:28
So. How is the Colonel going to take it when the USA hockey team thrashes Canada on friday then goes on to play for the gold.

YellowFever
20 Feb 14,, 08:38
Who knows?

Maybe console himself with a night on the town in Montreal? :confused:

Doktor
20 Feb 14,, 09:43
What if Canadians find their play?

bonehead
20 Feb 14,, 17:07
What if Canadians find their play?

You are ruining my smack talk. Hockey is king in Canada and it would be devastating if they don't win in Friday. Although I'd love the USA to win if we lose we are not going to fly our flags at half mast or anything. Hockey is just not as big on our side of the border.

Doktor
20 Feb 14,, 17:11
You are ruining my smack talk. Hockey is king in Canada and it would be devastating if they don't win in Friday. Although I'd love the USA to win if we lose we are not going to fly our flags at half mast or anything. Hockey is just not as big on our side of the border.
Well Canadian play so far was disappointing. Maybe they were in just as much to win the games and save the players for the big game(s), but it was pain to watch them, knowing they can do a lot more.

Hope they will sort out and be on par so we will have a fantastic game.

YellowFever
20 Feb 14,, 20:04
Our wimmin are kicking their wimmin's butt..

USA! USA!! USA!!

First we kick their butts, then we make 'em our 51st state! :biggrin:

bonehead
20 Feb 14,, 20:18
Our wimmin are kicking their wimmin's butt..

USA! USA!! USA!!

First we kick their butts, then we make 'em our 51st state! :biggrin:

I'd be happy just taking British Columbia and the Yukon so I can drive to Alaska with my guns and not have "issues".

Hell I was only just poking the bear but you are not content until you lift his tail and swat him a few times.

YellowFever
20 Feb 14,, 20:58
Ummm...

YellowFever
20 Feb 14,, 21:02
OK....nevermind.

Albany Rifles
20 Feb 14,, 22:28
Congratulations to the Canadian Women's Team on the gold and to the US Women for silver.

Well done.

Doktor
20 Feb 14,, 23:10
Geez... What were you saying Yeller?

Doktor
20 Feb 14,, 23:23

YellowFever
20 Feb 14,, 23:30

Nothing, DoK.

I can't believe I got so excited over something as barbaric as hockey.

We're Canada's bitches when it comes to Olympic hockey. :frown:

Albany Rifles
20 Feb 14,, 23:48

The dumb ass jinxed them.

Doktor
20 Feb 14,, 23:55
The dumb ass jinxed them.

You think he realized that and that's why he wrote this:

We're Canada's bitches when it comes to Olympic hockey.
:confused:

antimony
20 Feb 14,, 23:57
I'd be happy just taking British Columbia and the Yukon so I can drive to Alaska with my guns and not have "issues".

Hell I was only just poking the bear but you are not content until you lift his tail and swat him a few times.

I agree, border crossing at the WA/ BC is a pain the wrong places, as is the back and forth mile/ km conversion.Seriously North America, pick one damn standard and stick to it.

Albany Rifles
21 Feb 14,, 01:15
Dok, who the hell knows what goes through the mind of Yeller!!!

gunnut
21 Feb 14,, 01:18
I agree, border crossing at the WA/ BC is a pain the wrong places, as is the back and forth mile/ km conversion.Seriously North America, pick one damn standard and stick to it.

Be thankful Queen's former subjects don't make you drive on the wrong side of the road.

Doktor
21 Feb 14,, 01:21
Dok, who the hell knows what goes through the mind of Yeller!!!

His wife. Or she wouldn't have that many shoes.

Also, I think that a certain retired high-ranked officer given a chance would place a hockey stick there. Among other places.

Doktor
21 Feb 14,, 01:22
Be thankful Queen's former subjects don't make you drive on the wrong side of the road.

Which ones? Those on the south or on the north side of the border?

gunnut
21 Feb 14,, 01:58
Doktor, what has happened is the NHLers have learned to adapt to the larger ice surface of international hockey...and then introduced the world to the hard nose version of hockey played in the NHL. It's an in your face hard hitting style the Europeans do not play as well.

Some make the transition and excel (see Chara, Krecji, Seidenberg and Ericson of my beloved Bruins). Others find a niche but do not become a force like they would in KHL.

Peter Forsberg adapted and thrived in the NHL. At his prime, he was the most dominant player in the league.

Niklas Lidstrom was for years the best defenseman in NHL. Not sure if it's Red Wings' system or he was really that good. He controled the tempo of the game on both ends.

Anze Kopitar, the greatest Slovenian hockey player of all time, has the skills to play European style finesse game but can play the grinding game along the boards just as well.

It's always interesting to watch how European NHL players play the international game in the Olympics. At 43 years old, Teemu Selanne had a great game against the Russians. I think the larger ice rewards Teemu since he's probably not that keen on getting hit at 43.

I wonder how Patrick Kane likes the international ice. He's probably the smallest player on the team at 5' 11" and 180 lb. Many considered him to be too small to play in the NHL. But don't tell that to Martin St. Louis.

Pedicabby
21 Feb 14,, 12:43

Doktor
21 Feb 14,, 20:11
:pop:

Albany Rifles
21 Feb 14,, 21:00
Congrats to the Canadian men...can we restart the NHL season now?

Tronic
21 Feb 14,, 21:12
Now that's what you call a great game! Bring on the Swedes!

Doktor
21 Feb 14,, 21:36

Wont your goalie play for bronze?

Albany Rifles
21 Feb 14,, 21:43
Wont your goalie play for bronze?

Yup....Rask is playing for Bronze....and I'd rather he was resting.

And this tough bastid is playing for the Canadians

Pedicabby
22 Feb 14,, 12:33

Must have been a good game.

http://toronto.ctvnews.ca/profane-twitter-hashtag-back-again-after-men-s-hockey-win-1.1697435

Doktor
22 Feb 14,, 13:11
Yup....Rask is playing for Bronze....and I'd rather he was resting.

And this tough bastid is playing for the Canadians

He mixed the flag it seems.

Pedicabby
22 Feb 14,, 13:11

sated buddha
22 Feb 14,, 13:26
I enjoyed watching the 5000 meter men's ice skating relay last night. Amazing lean angles on ice man. What balance and speed. Literally like Moto GP.

MrSecond
22 Feb 14,, 22:17
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hze_6-f5KNA

Doktor
23 Feb 14,, 15:34
Whatever happened to the Americans yesterday.

Way to go Canada. Great game.

Gun Grape
23 Feb 14,, 16:04
They never showed up.

With the attitude they had and the performance they gave , they should have just forfeited the game.

What a disgrace

MrSecond
23 Feb 14,, 16:34

MrSecond
23 Feb 14,, 16:49
Russia has triumphed in the 50 km freestyle mass start race. Alexander Legkov, Maxim Vylegzhanin and Ilia Chernousov swept the entire set of medals of the Olympic mass start. :Dancing-Banana:

MrSecond
23 Feb 14,, 16:56
Fail Moments - Olympic Winter Games, Sochi 2014

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvnM15B8Ei4

Russian speed scater Olga Graf forgot she has nothing under her suit

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1JkszlBMj0

MrSecond
23 Feb 14,, 18:47
The closing ceremony is extremely boring, that's a bit surprising after great opening. :rolleyes: If you don't watch, you will lose nothing.

Mihais
23 Feb 14,, 19:08
Come on bro,the fireworks are across the border.:tongue:

MrSecond
23 Feb 14,, 19:50
That was great anyway. :) The whole Olympics in Sochi, I mean. :)

Doktor
23 Feb 14,, 22:10
The closing ceremony is extremely boring, that's a bit surprising after great opening. :rolleyes: If you don't watch, you will lose nothing.

Boring?

MrSecond
23 Feb 14,, 22:21
That was one of a few funny moments. :)

Doktor
23 Feb 14,, 22:30
That was one of a few funny moments. :)

"What the heck, they can't send me to Siberia twice." thought the director of the ceremony :biggrin:

Gun Grape
24 Feb 14,, 05:56

This says it all.

andrew
24 Feb 14,, 20:27
Originally from the Stanley Cup semis a few years ago but still applies.

He and Malkin better get their butts back to the US before Putin has them playing in the KHL expansion team in Irkutsk!

It's sad that Russia lost to Finland.
Congratulations, Canada.

I hope the next generation of Russian players will be stronger.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iW-s3aFXH9Y&feature=youtu.be