X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Outrageous

Gang rape, killing of teen in India sparks outrage
    January 4, 2014

KOLKATA, India (AP) — The father of a teenage girl who was allegedly gang raped and later died after being set on fire in eastern India is demanding a federal inquiry into the case, which has renewed public outrage over sexual violence in the country. Hundreds of people protested Friday in the West Bengal city of Kolkata, accusing state authorities of failing to protect the family after the 16-year-old girl went to police in October to report she had been raped twice by the same gang. The state's urban development minister defended the police response, noting that six suspects had been arrested in the rapes and another two for allegedly setting the girl on fire. "The state government has taken appropriate action in this case," said the minister, Firhad Hakim. The girl reported being gang raped and left in a field near her home in late October in the Madhyamgram suburb of Kolkata, formerly Calcutta. The next day she was allegedly abducted by the same gang and raped again before being left unconscious by railway tracks, police said. The girl's father, a taxi driver, said last week that his daughter was set on fire on Dec. 23 after being threatened with violence if she did not withdraw her police complaint. She died from her injuries on Wednesday.
    Source: USA Today

Additional low-lights collocated from Indian and foreign media...

- Local police strenuously attempted to dissuade her from filing rape charges and employed delaying tactics
    - Police stood by as the rapist-thugs threatened the family at home demanding they drop charges and leave the area
    - Police also told the family to pack up and go back to Bihar
    - The landlady (related to one of the thugs) heard her screams for help after being set on fire but did nothing
    - The local hospital refused to transfer her to another hospital with a burn unit
    - Police originally said her death was a suicide when they knew (for six days) that it was a murder
    - The police squabbled with the family about cremation arrangements and tried to illegally seize the body
    - The Calcutta government (Mamata Bannerjee) defends police actions and slams the negative coverage as a political conspiracy

Unfortunately, this is not fiction. It is reported across the globe in print and the internet.
    sigpic

I don't "like" this.

Not one bit. I am, though, appreciative of you for bringing this again to our attention. Your summary made for absolutely horrific reading but pales compared to the horror experienced by this poor, unfortunate child.

May shame forever cloud the lives of all who abetted this senseless tragedy.
    "This aggression will not stand, man!" Jeff Lebowski
    "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Lester Bangs

Comment

Wonder why Indians on this board didn't post this. False nationalism? Maybe.

These scums need to be thrown away to month old hungry dogs. India shining, again, my arse.

May you R.I.P sister.
      Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Comment

Facebook friend rapes woman promising marriage in Surat

And if that is not enough, here is another one:

Polish woman raped by cab driver

Why don't we have an Indian Hall of Shame in here?
        Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Comment

Originally posted by Minskaya View Post

- Local police strenuously attempted to dissuade her from filing rape charges and employed delaying tactics
          - Police stood by as the rapist-thugs threatened the family at home demanding they drop charges and leave the area
          - Police also told the family to pack up and go back to Bihar
          - The landlady (related to one of the thugs) heard her screams for help after being set on fire but did nothing
          - The local hospital refused to transfer her to another hospital with a burn unit
          - Police originally said her death was a suicide when they knew (for six days) that it was a murder
          - The police squabbled with the family about cremation arrangements and tried to illegally seize the body
          - The Calcutta government (Mamata Bannerjee) defends police actions and slams the negative coverage as a political conspiracy

Unfortunately, this is not fiction. It is reported across the globe in print and the internet.
          After she was raped once, she went to the local police station to file an FIR. Police refused, on her way back she was raped again. And this happened in West Bengal, the CM 'Mamata Banerjee' a lady, who promised 'poriborton=reforms' if the Left were kicked out. This lady has no shame, she is utterly corrupt, autocratic and despicable. I hope she lies dead on a sewage canal. Even worms won't eat her.

Comment

1) Local police strenuously attempted to dissuade her from filing rape charges and employed delaying tactics.

2) Police stood by as the rapist-thugs threatened the family at home demanding they drop charges and leave the area

3) Police also told the family to pack up and go back to Bihar

4) The landlady (related to one of the thugs) heard her screams for help after being set on fire but did nothing

5) The local hospital refused to transfer her to another hospital with a burn unit
            6) Police originally said her death was a suicide when they knew (for six days) that it was a murder
            7) The police squabbled with the family about cremation arrangements and tried to illegally seize the body
            8) The Calcutta government (Mamata Bannerjee) defends police actions and slams the negative coverage as a political conspiracy
            1) i've wondered about why they refuse to take the case, reasons offered are the police want to keep crime rate stats down. This is bunk. The reason is simpler. It's safer for the victim not to register the case if the victim is of limited means. Why ? because the cops don't have the resources to protect her 24/7. Multiply as applicable by number of rape complaints for the year, scale it up to the state level and then take it to the national level.

2) if they did not register the complaint there should be no reason for any threats.

3) Good advice, she'd still be alive today had this been done.

4) Why was she set on fire if a complaint was not taken. She must have got the case registered and the predictable followed.

5) Too late to save her.

6) Damage limitation.

7) ?

8) Anything that makes Mamata look bad is a political conspiracy.

I believe it

What's missing in the article is whether the perps have been apprehended. This is a murder case now.
            Last edited by Double Edge; 05 Jan 14,, 19:22.

Comment

Welcome to the world of coalition politics

The bastards are probably politically connected. There are some things which will not change. These same people will vote her(mamata banerjee) back in power next election. We just have to make peace with the current order of things.

Originally posted by Oracle View Post
              Why don't we have an Indian Hall of Shame in here?
              I hear sansani is looking for a new anchor
              Last edited by anil; 05 Jan 14,, 18:42.

Comment

Originally posted by anil View Post
                The bastards are probably politically connected. There are some things which will not change.
                We will know if they are named.

Though all that's required is a sufficient mismatch of means between perp & victim.

Originally posted by anil View Post
                These same people will vote her(mamata banerjee) back in power next election.
                Mamata has had a mixed record. What makes you so certain ?

Comment

Does one question why I say give the girls a gun and let them do a service apparently no one else will do? I bet rapes drop instantly.
                  Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

Originally posted by Dreadnought View Post
                    Does one question why I say give the girls a gun and let them do a service apparently no one else will do? I bet rapes drop instantly.
                    Oh no, we are all peace loving people and guns are bad, blah blah blah.

I am sick of it. :slap:
                    "Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" ~ Epicurus

Comment

Originally posted by antimony View Post
                      Oh no, we are all peace loving people and guns are bad, blah blah blah.

I am sick of it. :slap:
                      As a parent of school going kids, even of daughters, I firmly believe that we are the better for it.

Comment

Originally posted by sated buddha View Post
                        As a parent of school going kids, even of daughters, I firmly believe that we are the better for it.
                        erm why exactly?
                        Pols, goondas, and everyone with money are all tooled up.
                        Its only us targets who are unarmed.
                        For Gallifrey! For Victory! For the end of time itself!!

Comment

Originally posted by bolo121 View Post
                          erm why exactly?
                          Pols, goondas, and everyone with money are all tooled up.
                          Its only us targets who are unarmed.
                          How many school shootings do you hear of in India? Are you a parent? Just asking.

Comment

Originally posted by sated buddha View Post
                            How many school shootings do you hear of in India? Are you a parent? Just asking.
                            Am about to be a parent soon.
                            In india the shootings are usually of innocents by well connected people/goondas/police with guns.
                            We should at least have option to shoot back.

As I am not American cant comment on sandy hook style stuff.
                            For Gallifrey! For Victory! For the end of time itself!!

Comment

Originally posted by bolo121 View Post
                              Am about to be a parent soon.
                              Then we cannot have this discussion on the same level playing field perception wise.

Yes we are not perfect, far from it. But the worst I have to worry about when my kids go to school is hair yanking and nail gouging when things get realy rough. And my girls can give at least as good as they get, so even that has been a rarity.

I dread the day, if ever, when Indians get what you are wishing for.

Comment

Working...
                              X