PDA

View Full Version : NFL Playoffs

Minskaya
03 Jan 14,, 10:46
Wild Card Round - My picks in bold.

Saturday January 4

Kansas City @ Indianapolis (4:35 p.m. EST / NBC)

New Orleans @ Philadelphia (8:10 p.m. EST / NBC)

Sunday January 5

San Diego @ Cincinnati (1:05 p.m. EST / CBS)

San Francisco @ Green Bay (4:40 p.m. EST / Fox)

Stitch
03 Jan 14,, 20:20

Saturday January 4

Sunday January 5

I think the point spread for the SF-Green Bay game is down to one point, it's gonna be close . . . . .

S2
03 Jan 14,, 20:46
It's gonna be stupid cold.

Daytime high in Green Bay for Sunday will be +7F. By the time this game starts it will be well past that. Overnight lows Sunday-Monday will be -20F.

Wild horses couldn't get me to that game. It will be dangerous to play and dangerous to even be sitting there.

tbm3fan
03 Jan 14,, 21:45

Saturday January 4

Sunday January 5

Kansas City vs. Indy I call a toss up. KC has slowed down in the second half and if Luck has a good game then the Colts win at home.

New Orleans vs. Philadelphia I'll go with N.O. and Drew Brees as he is clearly a much better quarterback and that is what you need in the playoffs to stand a chance.

San Diego vs. Cincinnati. Was once a Charger fan in the late 70's due to Don Coryell who was also coach of SDSU and Dan Fouts. Yet I will go with Cincinnati.

49ers vs Packers. Ugh! Have been a 49er fan since the day Bill Walsh started after 2 years at Stanford and 1 year with the Chargers. The game temperature is an issue for both teams. The Packers very rarely play any games in temps this low when you look back over history since you need to get into January playoffs at a minimum. So I call 0 degrees a negative for both. Comes down to what kind of game Rogers has versus what kind of game Greg Roman calls. This game looks too close to call with the temperatures being the wildcard for both teams. Personally if at below 0 temperatures the game should be postponed. Rain isn't dangerous, snow isn't dangerous but below zero temps are.

S2
03 Jan 14,, 22:14
Been a Packer fan since 1965 and love cold-weather football but I concur. This game will be really dangerous for all concerned. NOTHING can prepare you for that kind of cold. We've had a few really bad weather games of late. Think the Giant-Packer playoff in 2007 was not good. Very cold but not quite this bad. This may exceed the 1967 Ice Bowl.

Minskaya
03 Jan 14,, 22:58
NOTHING can prepare you for that kind of cold.
Ukraine can ;)

AccuWeather says Lambeau could be -5° at game time (-51 degrees wind chill).

tbm3fan
04 Jan 14,, 00:22
Ukraine can ;)

AccuWeather says Lambeau could be -5° at game time (-51 degrees wind chill).

Mmmmm,

http://ftp.rta.nato.int/public/PubFullText/RTO/MP/RTO-MP-076/MP-076-28.pdf

NWS Wind Chill Index (http://www.nws.noaa.gov/om/windchill/)

However, if it is that cold then running and stopping the run are going to be even more important. That would put the advantage towards the 49ers run offense and run stopping defense.

Stitch
04 Jan 14,, 01:31
Mmmmm,

http://ftp.rta.nato.int/public/PubFullText/RTO/MP/RTO-MP-076/MP-076-28.pdf

NWS Wind Chill Index (http://www.nws.noaa.gov/om/windchill/)

However, if it is that cold then running and stopping the run are going to be even more important. That would put the advantage towards the 49ers run offense and run stopping defense.

Go, Gore!

S2
04 Jan 14,, 02:06
Al Gore and global warming can't save the Niners.

Oh! You mean FRANK Gore. Gotcha. Yeah, this promises to be a game with a whole lot of umpah lumpahs waddling around.

Minskaya
04 Jan 14,, 10:09
We will get an additional 5" of snow today (on top of the 17" since New Years). Temps will plunge below 0° tonight and are expected to remain the negative until Wednesday. I imagine it will be just as frigid in Green Bay and probably worse. In wind-chills of -40° F, exposed skin can freeze in 5 minutes or less. Frostbite and hypothermia will be very real dangers at Lambeau Field.

tbm3fan
05 Jan 14,, 02:52
Yet in today's papers we have linemen deciding whether or not they are going to wear sleeves for the game. Some say if you do it is a signal that you are soft. I know not wearing them is a signal you are dumber than dumb.

Albany Rifles
05 Jan 14,, 03:11
Go patriots!!!!!!

Zad Fnark
05 Jan 14,, 03:41
It's gonna be stupid cold.

Daytime high in Green Bay for Sunday will be +7F. By the time this game starts it will be well past that. Overnight lows Sunday-Monday will be -20F.

Wild horses couldn't get me to that game. It will be dangerous to play and dangerous to even be sitting there.

I was at a December game about 10 years ago. It was -5 for that game.

I was dressed warmly with heating pads stuffed in my boots. As tight as everyone is shoehorned in that stadium it really wasn't that bad. A continuous supply of hot chocolate also helped.

I heard they're giving away free hot chocolate and heating pads for this one. I was tempted, but don't even want to get dressed tomorrow.

Ed-

bonehead
05 Jan 14,, 08:18
So people are paying how much for the frostbite and hypothermic experience? I know its sacrilege for the fans but Green Bay needs to have a dome.

Minskaya
05 Jan 14,, 08:34
The Colts defeat the Chiefs 45-44 in one of the greatest playoff comeback wins ever.

The Saints beat the Eagles 26-24 on last-play field goal.

Minskaya
05 Jan 14,, 16:42
Another 10-12 inches of snow here today and wind chills tonight will be at least -40° F

Which reminds me of winters in Ukraine and riding in a sled pulled by horses with their bells tinkling

http://static.panoramio.com/photos/large/3260670.jpg

bonehead
06 Jan 14,, 00:20
You know it must be cold at the game when someone like Erin Andrews is surrounded by thousands of fans but needs battery operated devices to keep warm. Those that play and are on the sidelines today sure earned their pay today. 13-10 SanFrancisco…halftime.
Y! SPORTS (http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/colin-kaepernick-perhaps-fit-insanity-playing-arms-exposed-215809609--nfl.html)

Minskaya
06 Jan 14,, 07:46
Chargers defeat the Bengals 27-19

49ers stun the Packers 23-20

tbm3fan
06 Jan 14,, 08:27
Chargers defeat the Bengals 27-19

49ers stun the Packers 23-20

I think I'd swap the words defeat and stun

Minskaya
06 Jan 14,, 09:38
I think I'd swap the words defeat and stun
I don't think so, although Dalton defeats the Bengals would probably be more apt. A fumble and two picks.

Doktor
06 Jan 14,, 12:10
49ers Feel Joy, if Not Their Toes

-NYT title

tbm3fan
07 Jan 14,, 06:53
I don't think so, although Dalton defeats the Bengals would probably be more apt. A fumble and two picks.

Well... the 49ers stunned the Packers? I would say hardly.

Stun would be the Chargers beating the Broncos again, and/or the Saints beating the Seahawks in Seattle.

Besides you picked San Francisco so how could that be stunned? :confu:

S2
07 Jan 14,, 07:11
Kaepernick took that thing over and that. was. that.

Minskaya
07 Jan 14,, 09:25
Well... the 49ers stunned the Packers? I would say hardly.
I would say that any last second winning field goal is stunning loss for someone.

Stitch
07 Jan 14,, 18:51
Kaepernick took that thing over and that. was. that.

Hopefully, he does that in Carolina this weekend.

Minskaya
11 Jan 14,, 15:35
2nd round games

Saturday January 11

New Orleans +8 @ Seattle (4:35pm ET / Fox)

Indianapolis +7 @ New England (8:15pm ET / CBS)

Sunday January 12

San Francisco -1 @ Carolina (1:15pm / Fox)

San Diego +9½ @ Denver (4:40pm ET / CBS)

Minskaya
12 Jan 14,, 08:02
2nd round games

Saturday January 11

New Orleans-15 @ Seattle-25

Indianapolis-22 @ New England-44

Sunday January 12

San Francisco -1 @ Carolina (1:15pm / Fox)

San Diego +8½ @ Denver (4:40pm ET / CBS)

zraver
12 Jan 14,, 18:51
The Seahawk's 12th man strikes again. In what may well have decided the game the sheer noise of the 12th man's BOOM forced the Saints to waste two precious timeouts to avoid delay of game penalties. They then used their third on a challenge. This left them with no way to stop the clock. In related news, Seismologist at the UW said the record setting crowd's earth shaking antics likely beat their previous record known as the Beastquake. In Seattle it really is a home field advantage.

Albany Rifles
12 Jan 14,, 20:31
I think LaGarrette Blount just rushed for 6 more yards.

Minskaya
18 Jan 14,, 15:32
I'll go with the Patriots and Niners on Sunday.

Dreadnought
18 Jan 14,, 17:32
All I know is that playing in the open weather is going to be great.

Any half time performers and glam queens better have their big girl panties on because its going to be cold and hopefully lots of weather fronts moving across.

Their going to have to earn the big bucks that day playing in the open weather with no dome to protect their sissy asses from the cold of North Jersey.:biggrin:

I hope they all freeze their asses off. Welcome back into the weather!

Im hoping for the Broncos!:Dancing-Banana:

Albany Rifles
18 Jan 14,, 17:35
I am calling Patriots 31 - Broncos 27 and Niners 27 - Seahawks 24

zraver
19 Jan 14,, 16:05
The Department of Homeland Security has issued a warning. Local media reports, NSA intercepts and remote sensing devices (seismometer) indicate that a group known as the 12th man aka the Legion of Boom is assembling in Seattle. Experts believe they intend to disrupt SF49er operations using sonic weapons.

All residents of San Francisco are urged to stay in doors, close their blinds and turn off their TV's until next season. If they must go out, walk small faces down and avoid large crowds decked out in blues, greys and brilliant greens.

BOOM!

Albany Rifles
20 Jan 14,, 00:04
Tip of the hat to Denver.

We just ran out of players.

Oh, that it would have been snowing!!!

bonehead
20 Jan 14,, 00:15
Denver came to play today, thats for sure.

bonehead
20 Jan 14,, 00:18
Normally I would side with the hawks but I just can't stand their head coach. Pulling for the Niners for this game and I hope Colin stays on beast mode.

Stitch
20 Jan 14,, 04:03
SF just blew a 10 point lead over the Seahawks, thanks to a Kaepernik interception; there will be no joy in SF tonight . . . . . .

zraver
20 Jan 14,, 04:09
Dirty win, but a win. Seahawks are headed to the Superbowl.

DonBelt
20 Jan 14,, 05:13
I am calling Patriots 31 - Broncos 27 and Niners 27 - Seahawks 24
Oh, if only....
Can't expect to win forever when half your squad is in the hospital or jail. A nice muddy wet field might've helped though.

DonBelt
20 Jan 14,, 06:38

Albany Rifles
20 Jan 14,, 16:27
Don, spot on.

It must really suck to live in a one team town......

Go Bruins!!!

Oh, has anyone else noticed the Superbowl is between teams from the 2 states where pot is legal?

Just saying....

Dreadnought
20 Jan 14,, 17:29
I see an excellent Super Bowl. Denver and Seattle (battle of the underdogs).

I cant express how pleased I am to see all the rest of the regs sent home for the year.

I do like Denver (since the days of John Elway) BUT I still like the underdog so, Im going with Seattle, They got screwed last year on a penalty and then shanked the field goal on the second attempt.

*That is minus the loud mouth tool during the interview at the end of the game.

Julie
20 Jan 14,, 18:57
Don, spot on.

It must really suck to live in a one team town......

Go Bruins!!!

Oh, has anyone else noticed the Superbowl is between teams from the 2 states where pot is legal?

Just saying....Yep, it's being called the "Stoner Bowl" and this is the pix going around:

bonehead
20 Jan 14,, 19:02
Yep, it's being called the "Stoner Bowl" and this is the pix going around:

When you look at all the other drugs the players have been taking you have to laugh that the ones smoking dope are the ones playing in the Super Bowl.

Doktor
20 Jan 14,, 19:54
When you look at all the other drugs the players have been taking you have to laugh that the ones smoking dope are the ones playing in the Super Bowl.
Are they? I mean are the players former or present Stoners?

Julie
20 Jan 14,, 20:44
Are they? I mean are the players former or present Stoners?Dunno, but they probably are not doing steroids. ;)

bonehead
21 Jan 14,, 03:03
Are they? I mean are the players former or present Stoners?

A lot of them are taking something. Just like the abuse scandal in major league baseball. Many of those boys are really big, but then oddly not so much a year or two after they retire. Then there are the injuries of the game. Lets be honest it would take a lot of drugs, mostly RX, just to get out of bed on Monday after being in a 3 hour train wreck the day before. Imagine doing that for 12 weeks straight because the day you don't some one else is going to take your position and you have to fight to get it back or you are no longer "needed" by the team. Oddly they do UA for pot and a few years ago some running back, Ricky Williams, decided it was better to walk away from a huge contract, NFL fame and fortune, etc than to stop smoking pot.