PDA

View Full Version : Bigfella Breaks a World Record at the Cricket

Bigfella
29 Dec 13,, 08:53
On Boxing Day this year I am proud to say that I broke a world record. it isn't every day a bloke can make such a claim, but it is in the record books now. I did have a little help, but I feel that I did my part.:biggrin:

The crowd of 91,092 that turned out to see the first day of the England-Australia test match at the MCG was a world record for a single day of Test Cricket. The previous largest crowd was 90,400ish, also on the MCG at day 2 of the 1961 Australia-West Indies test. Crowds for MCG tests usually halve every day of the match, but this year was remarkable. Almost 80,000 turned up for day 2. Another 60,000 made it for day 3 and 40,000 made it to day 4 to see Australia win the match. All the more remarkable because the Test Series has already been decided - Australia was 3-0 up going into the game.

I am pleased to say I made it to 3 of the 4 days. Had a ball!

We were treated to a test match that ebbed & flowed. Unlike the other matches in the series this was a real contest. A fine bowling performance from England on day 2 gave them a lead. At tea on day 3 they seemed set to make a score that Australia would struggle to get, but the loss of 5 wickets for 6 runs gave Australia a total of 231 for victory. On a pitch where 255 was the highest innings tally that looked tough. It should have been, but England's bowling and fielding was insipid & Australia's batting forceful. We won in a canter, 2 wickets down.

On to Sydney for a series clean sweep!

p.s. you can see the previous world record on the big screen if you look carefully.

Doktor
29 Dec 13,, 10:54
You've only made 3 out of 4 days because you woke up :biggrin:

Bigfella
29 Dec 13,, 11:18
Savage!

It was riveting stuff start to finish. Got to watch about 17 hours at the ground, another 4 on TV & listened to the remaining 3 on the radio (not counting lunch & tea breaks - another hour per day). LOVE cricket season!:)

Monash
29 Dec 13,, 11:40
What a joy it is to watch the world return to normality i.e. with the English Cricket Team rent asunder and the Aussie Cricket Team once again magnanimous in victory! :)

Doktor
29 Dec 13,, 11:57
Savage!
C'est moi, oui.

It was riveting stuff start to finish. Got to watch about 17 hours at the ground, another 4 on TV & listened to the remaining 3 on the radio (not counting lunch & tea breaks - another hour per day). LOVE cricket season!:)
All I am saying I would have been there 4 out of 4 :biggrin:

Bigfella
29 Dec 13,, 12:09
All I am saying I would have been there 4 out of 4 :biggrin:

Hmmmmm. Why do I doubt you?

Well, you have a standing invitation to kip on my sofa-bed any time you want to attend a Boxing day test. You might even get lucky & hit one that lasts the full 5 days.:biggrin:

bigross86
29 Dec 13,, 15:09
I'm sorry, any single sporting game that lasts for over a day is just too much effort for me..... I won't even watch a baseball doubleheader, and I like baseball!

ambidex
29 Dec 13,, 15:41
All the more remarkable because the Test Series has already been decided - Australia was 3-0 up going into the game.

Australians are sadistic :biggrin:

bolo121
29 Dec 13,, 15:53
I usually just catch the day's replays when i get home from work.
Watching Johnson steaming in and making england hop was delightful.

Gun Grape
29 Dec 13,, 19:25
I bought 50 crickets the other day and went Bream fishing. Don't think thats a record though.

Then we did this

YellowFever
29 Dec 13,, 20:09
Looks like your day, at least, wasn't a total waste, Gunny.

Can't say the same for 91,092 other people. :biggrin:

Doktor
29 Dec 13,, 21:08
Hmmmmm. Why do I doubt you?
Hey, we all make mistakes.

Well, you have a standing invitation to kip on my sofa-bed any time you want to attend a Boxing day test. You might even get lucky & hit one that lasts the full 5 days.:biggrin:
I am delighted and thankful for the invitation (I feel that somehow I am being trapped here, just saying) But, note, that if you are noisy... I will snore in protest. Very loud. :biggrin:

troung
29 Dec 13,, 21:25
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bh3JyrSznd0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Gm8wIEhoRw

Bigfella
29 Dec 13,, 23:17
Australians are sadistic :biggrin:

I don't recall you blokes easing off when it was 3-0 earlier this year. Revenge is a great motivator.:)

gf0012-aust
30 Dec 13,, 00:27
What a joy it is to watch the world return to normality i.e. with the English Cricket Team rent asunder and the Aussie Cricket Team once again magnanimous in victory! :)

when the poms win they get to meet the queen and get gongs to hang around their necks.
when we win they get kneecapped by the press (same as when they lose)

Bigfella
30 Dec 13,, 00:30
when the poms win they get to meet the queen and get gongs to hang around their necks.

I did love how easily they all got handed royal honours - one bloody series win! If our team of the 90s/2000s were Poms they'd all be in line for the throne by now. :biggrin:

Officer of Engineers
30 Dec 13,, 00:39
Well, you have a standing invitation to kip on my sofa-bed any time you want to attend a Boxing day test. You might even get lucky & hit one that lasts the full 5 days.:biggrin:Hmmmm, now "Bigfella" takes on a whole new meaning ... not that there's anything wrong with it.

Bigfella
30 Dec 13,, 00:55
Hmmmm, now "Bigfella" takes on a whole new meaning ... not that there's anything wrong with it.

The only company he'll have on the sofa bed is my cats....and I doubt even that. :biggrin:

Officer of Engineers
30 Dec 13,, 01:05
Oh man, the Bigfella and pussy ... I mean cats ... jokes we could have.

Doktor
30 Dec 13,, 01:40
Considering the frequency of their wins, I believe the Queen has no issues to manage her schedule.

A habbit maybe?

Doktor
30 Dec 13,, 01:46
The only company he'll have on the sofa bed is my cats....and I doubt even that. :biggrin:

Comfy sofa, cats, beer, baseball... and you doubt I can out-sleep it? And you say you know quite a few Balkanites?

Tronic
30 Dec 13,, 04:45
I must confess, it's really great to see that a new breed of Aussies are still up to the task of playing the big villains of world cricket. :biggrin:

InExile
05 Jan 14,, 14:45
5-0 ; this I wasn't expecting. England were probably even slight favorites at the start of the series.

Totally ruthless Aussie performance.