Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A pivotal moment for the Indian Navy -Induction of the newest aircraft carrier

It is indeed a proud day for the IN, the induction of the newest aircraft carrier and the biggest ship to date and most capable.

After 5-year delay, Navy gets INS Vikramaditya - The Times of India

Russia delivers super aircraft carrier INS Vikramaditya to India | NDTV.com
    The INS Vikramaditya is 284 metres long and 60 metres high - that's about as high as a 20-storeyed building. It can carry 24 MiG-29 fighter jets and 10 helicopters at a time, and can sail nearly 1300 kilometres a day.

Russia

A sidenote, the IN plans to have 200 ships in the next 10 years:

Indian Navy to have 200 warships in next 10 years - The Times of India

This thing is going to be a maintenance hog! Plus their intention is to run it for 40 years!

Comment

Originally posted by surfgun View Post
      This thing is going to be a maintenance hog! Plus their intention is to run it for 40 years!
      So?

Viraat was (finally) commissioned in 1959...15 years after she'd been laid down in 1944.
      She spent 25 years with the RN before being sold to the Indian Navy where she's served another 27 years and is scheduled to serve another 7.

The first Vikrant served 40 years in the Indian Navy after spending 11 years sitting in reserve with the RN.
      “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Based on the history of her Russian sisters she is going to spend most of her time in port broken down...

Comment

Would one seriously compare a former Soviet ship to a former Royal Navy ship in terms of maintainability?

Comment

Originally posted by zraver View Post
            Based on the history of her Russian sisters she is going to spend most of her time in port broken down...
            Originally posted by surfgun View Post
            Would one seriously compare a former Soviet ship to a former Royal Navy ship in terms of maintainability?
            If it was being operated and maintained by Russians, I'd have my doubts as well. Who knows, she could blow sky-high from a defective engineering plant. But I'm optimistic that the Indian Navy will turn her into first-class fighting ship.
            “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Originally posted by TopHatter View Post
              If it was being operated and maintained by Russians, I'd have my doubts as well. Who knows, she could blow sky-high from a defective engineering plant. But I'm optimistic that the Indian Navy will turn her into first-class fighting ship.
              Looking at the history of the KILO subs, that's too optimistic.

Comment

Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
                Quite harsh, especially with one accident. Its not as if USN or RN is devoid of accidents.

Comment

Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
                  Sir, as per wikipedia - Project 877 -
                  There are 24 Kilo's in service with the Russian Navy, and 33 have been exported.
                  The only reported accident of consequence is the IN S63 Sindhurakshak.

Project - 636
                  There are 12 in active service with various countries - no major accidents reported.

Sir, are we missing something that you are trying to convey?

Cheers!...on the rocks!!

Comment

Originally posted by lemontree View Post
                    Sir, are we missing something that you are trying to convey?
                    Per Russian, Indian and Chinese service, the KILOs saw more dock time than patrol time. I know the Chinese were so frustrated that they tried to get German batteries to replace the Russian batteries. I think the deal fell through because the Chinese would have to pay more for German batteries than what the sub was worth.
                    Last edited by Officer of Engineers; 18 Nov 13,, 13:50.

Comment

She is one fine looking beauty, regardless!

Comment

Originally posted by zraver View Post
                        Vikramaditya is essentially a new ship so I doubt that she will be spending most of her time in port broken down.

Comment

Originally posted by DarthSiddius View Post
                          She is one fine looking beauty, regardless!
                          If only this was a beauty contest... :red:
                          No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

I would rather go with the word refurbished. Also, only time will tell whether the quality of the job performed was up to specs or not.

Comment

Originally posted by Doktor View Post
                              If only this was a beauty contest... :red:
                              For an internet civi like me, beauty trumps the beast :whome:

Comment

Working...
                              X