Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If I'm elected, I promise a turkey in every pot!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If I'm elected, I promise a turkey in every pot!

Well, not quite. I mean, I first have to figure out how to cook my own goose, errrrrr, turkey first.

But now that I think I have control on how to cook brisket and have enough beef in the freezer to last me a month if I ate it every day, the next large cooking goal is how to cook a turkey.

I mean, it is the season, right?

Besides that, if I buy the right size turkey, I get a free boiler fan suitable for turkey or brisket.

So any masters and mistresses of the oven out there, impress on this young, well inexperienced at least, apprentice on how it is done.

Figure one to 1-1/2 pounds of bird per person.

Measure your oven, and don’t buy a turkey that won’t fit. If necessary, buy two and cook one the day before. Leftovers are part of the tradition, and hot gravy will fool your guests into thinking they’ve got a plateful straight from the oven.

Rule of thumb on timing is 2-1/2 to 3 hours for 10-12 lbs, 3 to 3-3/4 hours for 14-16 lbs and 3-3/4 to 4-1/2 hours for 20+ lbs. But, see Rule No. 1.

Rule No. 1 -- use a meat thermometer. The breast should be 170°F (77°C) and the thigh 180°F (82°C). Don’t mess around with this if you want your guests to be able to return the invitation.

Rule No. 2 – If you are buying a frozen turkey, make sure it is completely thawed. Put it in the refrigerator and figure 24 hours for every 4 pounds. Err on the long side, since it won’t hurt and there are few things worse than trying to stuff and cook a frozen turkey.

Rule No. 3 – If the liver, gizzard and neck are in a bag inside the bird, remove them and use them for gravy or mix into stove-top stuffing.

The rest is optional.

Everyone has their own favorite stuffing, from seasoned breadcrumbs (my choice) to meat and fruit. Without stuffing, there’s a chance your bird may dry out, so add a cup of chicken or vegetable stock if you’re not the kind that instinctively says, “Stuff it!”

Another option is to stuff the cavity with onions (quartered), celery, parsley, thyme, salt and pepper. If the folks around here are on their toes, you’ll get several suggestions.

If you decide to Do The Right Thing and stuff that bird, chop everything you need ahead of time and keep wet and dry ingredients separate and make sure that any meat is fully cooked. That helps lower the causality rate.

Immediately before cooking your bird, mix the ingredients and gently fill the cavity. Remember, bread (or rice, ugh!) will expand as it absorbs moisture so don’t over do it.

Stuffing needs to be 165°F (80°C), and it will take longer than the bird. Once the bird is done, rip it’s insides out, put the stuffing in a pan and pop it back in the oven.

When the turkey is done, set it aside for at least 20 minutes. That should be enough time to let the stuffing catch up (keep an eye on it), and will let the juices be reabsorbed.

Someone will probably mention brining, but I’ve not done that.

What time is dinner?
    Last edited by DOR; 12 Nov 13,, 09:07.
    Trust me?
    I'm an economist!

Comment

Well, you see, that's part of the catch....odds are, I'm the only one at the dinner table.

I got into the brisket cooking because it was the answer to feeding an army of divers on site cheap. As it is, army or not, I will probably continue cooking it because it seems like an excellent economical way to do beef....when I start having the need to cook more, say in January.

Getting a little bit off the subject, in October, I cooked 4 briskets. Two test briskets, the remains of the second one still in my freezer, and two on site briskets, one which came home with me and is now also in the freezer. It's not necessarily that I am tired of eating it but I have to convert my diet back to a more fish/vegetarian mix.

So then we come to the turkey. I'm not quite sure why I want to cook one, aside from it's another item to put on my cooking resume, something I can do.

But other than a lack of guests for dinner, sounds like some good suggestions! Thank you!

Comment

Im my experience, baste often. I think it keeps the meat jucier and more tender. My grandmother's turkeys were always like eating sandpaper.

Ed-

Comment

I always brine. You will end up with a turkey that is moist and flavorful and well seasoned all the way through. Its a bit of extra work but well worth it in my opinion. It also eliminates the need for basting or other such fussing about. You will need a container big enough to hold the bird and brine but still small enough to fit in your fridge. I use about 3/4 cup of coarse kosher salt and a 1/2 cup of brown sugar for every gallon of brine along with whatever flavorings you want to toss in (whole peppercorns, celery, onion, garlic, etc.). You will need to prepare the brine a day or two before you plan to cook. I typically brine the bird an hour for every pound it weighs. So a big bird can take the better part of 24 hours. I dont stuff the bird either ( I know, heresy). I just throw a bundle of herbs and other aromatics along with a quartered apple in the cavity. ( Makes for nice smells ) Also, learn how to truss a bird properly. Makes for a nice presentation and even cooking.

Comment

Working...
          X