X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Goss has good idea where bin Laden is

Goss Claims He Has Idea Where Bin Laden Is

NEW YORK - The director of the CIA says he has an "excellent idea" where
    Osama bin Laden is hiding, but that the United States' respect for sovereign nations makes it more difficult to capture the al-Qaida chief.

In an interview with Time for the magazine's June 27 issue, Porter Goss was asked about the progress of the hunt for bin Laden.

"When you go to the question of dealing with sanctuaries in sovereign states, you're dealing with a problem of our sense of international obligation, fair play," Goss said. "We have to find a way to work in a conventional world in unconventional ways."

Asked whether that meant he knew where bin Laden is, Goss responded: "I have an excellent idea where he is. What's the next question?"

Goss did not say where he thinks bin Laden is, nor did he specify what country or countries he was referring to when he spoke of foreign sanctuaries. But American officials have long said they believed bin Laden was hiding in rugged mountains along the Afghan-Pakistani border.

http://news.yahoo.com/fc/world/osama...n_and_al_qaida

Well go get him then.

Comment

but that the United States' respect for sovereign nations makes it more difficult to capture the al-Qaida chief.
      Dammit... I just knew he was hiding in Madagascar...
      To sit down with these men and deal with them as the representatives of an enlightened and civilized people is to deride ones own dignity and to invite the disaster of their treachery - General Matthew Ridgway

Comment

Originally posted by Leader
        Well go get him then.
        yeh, if he's too busy I'll go...
        In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

WTF is Porter Goss doing talking to Time? If he knows where OBL is, why is he announcing it? If he (OBL) is being given sanctuary by a foreign government, that country is our mortal enemy, f*ck them. Don't talk about it, send the B-2's. If he's in Pakistan, tell Musharraf where he is and give him 48 hours to collect him, or we will go get him ourselves.

I don't want to hear this "I have an excellent idea" and "sense of International obligation" bullsh*t. That is not what George W. Bush said on 9/12.
          "We will go through our federal budget – page by page, line by line – eliminating those programs we don’t need, and insisting that those we do operate in a sensible cost-effective way." -President Barack Obama 11/25/2008

Comment

This has got to be the oddest statement I have heard from an American official. Ever.

Leibniz

Comment

What if he's in Iran?

Or Syria?

Or what if Goss has no idea and just wants to spook OBL?

-dale

Comment

Originally posted by dalem
                What if he's in Iran?
                Go get him

Or Syria?
                Go get him

-dale
                Well I guess if making himself and the administration look like idiots will scare OBL then all power to him. Somehow I think OBL is already in a state of fear however and this won't change it much.

Leibniz

Comment

I think dalem has the best guess, here. It smells like some kind of information operation. We either want him to move, stay still, or communicate in some way.

One thing you just wouldn't do if you knew where he was would be to SAY that you knew where he was.

And you'd have to figure that he'd figure that, too. "Goss is trying to flush me out. Or maybe make me hunker down. Or call my buddies. Or something. So, what I'm REALLY gonna do is..."

And hopefully, the Big Brains on our side have it figured out what reaction will come from all of it.

One thing I've learned from 20 years of intel work is that usually, there's much, much more involved than what makes the papers. That's why I think this is deliberate and for a purpose that we haven't got a clue about.

Comment

-dale
                    I agree. He is trying to spook OBL. Or else he wouldnt be wasting his energy in interviews boasting that he knows where OBL is.
                    Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie!'...till you can find a rock. ;)

Comment

Oh, great, sounds like an act of desperation to me. OBL isn't that stupid. I'm not so sure about Porter Goss. Maybe you can shake up the animals hiding him, but it seems like a longshot to me, and we just end up with egg on our face.

Every reporter for the next two months is going to be asking, "well, have you got him yet?" Imo, the only reason to say "I have an excellent idea" is if the POS is sitting in a 6x8 cell in Afghanistan, or in the brig on the nearest CVN.
                      "We will go through our federal budget – page by page, line by line – eliminating those programs we don’t need, and insisting that those we do operate in a sensible cost-effective way." -President Barack Obama 11/25/2008

Comment

I think the whole interview was an Iran sh!tting up exercise.

Comment

Go get him.

Even in Iran, if Plat is correct.

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

I suspect this statement has less to do with knowing where bin Laden is and more to do with covering Porter Goss's ****. He doesn't know where bin Laden is and he knows he'll look a numpty if he admits it.

For what it's worth, if I were bin Laden I'd be in Chechnya now.

Comment

Originally posted by platinum786
                              I think the whole interview was an Iran sh!tting up exercise.

No it is not Iran, you damn well know which country he is talking about.

Hint: It is the same country which was running AlQaeda camp in 2003 just outside its capital (info from FBI recent arrests in Lodi, California). It is also a frontline ally in war on terror!

Comment

Working...
                              X