Clear All

• The Best Dr. Who Episode for.......

Tom Baker?

Peter Davidson?

Colin Baker?

Sarah Sutton?

Nicole Bryant?

Tamara,

You do realize there is a way for you to make a poll.

Only I am not sure if your post count allows that :matrix:

And I think you missed at least one Doctor. The latest one - David Tennant.
    No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Originally posted by Doktor View Post
      Tamara,

I'm reliving my past. The modern Doctors don't thrill me as much as the older ones do. For one thing, the newer doctors don't make me drink less. That's something the older doctors did, relax me beneath the drinking threshold.

Further, I'm looking for titles to base my next Amazon search on. For instance, I am thinking of getting Colin's Dalek episode because I feel a need to watch Orcini.

Comment

Originally posted by Doktor View Post
        Tamara,

Also missed Bill Hartnell, Pat Troughton, John Pertwee, Sylvester McCoy, Chris Eccelston, Matt Smith and for completeness Peter Cushing & Paul McGann. Also got Nicola Bryant's name wrong. As a dedicated Whovian this horrifies me.

I've watched every episode of Dr Who that was available for broadcast as of several years ago. Recorded them all off TV. Since then I have been busily buying up the DVDs as they are released. Love the extras & commentaries. Especially nice to hear the voice of departed actors like Liz Sladen (Sarah Jane Smith).

Sadly I don't have time now, but I'll put together my suggestions for best episodes. over the weekend.
        sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

As I said, it's a matter of my past.

I never saw Hartnell as the Doctor, think I only saw Troughton in "The Two Doctors", and I'm not ready to work on Pertwee yet. McCoy I never saw. As far as the others, well, let's just say that a lot of them have got the massive disadvantage of having sponsors that I perturbed once too often.

It's a point of reliving my past, of watching again that which I had fun with. It's not a point of who was first, who is good now, etc, etc, etc.

Comment

Well, you can remove the Peter Davison (another spelling error on my part for the dedicated Whovians) from the list; I just ordered practically all of his Who works.......in the same fashion that I did the first 2 seasons of Blake's 7.

Comment

I have not watched Dr. Who episodes but can someone explain to me why there are so many different actors for Dr. Who? They would change the actor almost every year. I am curious about that.

Comment

Originally posted by Blademaster View Post
                I have not watched Dr. Who episodes but can someone explain to me why there are so many different actors for Dr. Who? They would change the actor almost every year. I am curious about that.
                The Doctor is a Time Lord. He regenerates and takes on a different appearance each time, hence giving room in the story line for different actors....or actresses in the case of Romana.

There was a Patrick T. episode, The Mind Robber, in which the actor playing Jamie had the mumps (or something) and was unable to play the part. They came up with an interesting ploy in the story which enabled the show to go till he could get back.
                Last edited by Tamara; 03 Oct 13,, 13:15.

Comment

When the show was launched in 1963 (on the day Kennedy was shot) no one thought it would last very long. it was a 'kids show' so they cast an older actor who was a bit like a 'grandfather figure'. At the start we found out that he & his granddaughter were not human, but the specifics weren't clear. They evolved over a very long time.

The show became a huge hit - initially because of the 'Daleks'. By 1966 the health of the first Doctor (Bill Hartnell) was declining. he was forgetting lines & was generally unwell. The show could have ended, but it was decided to continue it, so a device had to be created to change the Doctor that was in some way credible. It was decided that the Doctor's species of alien would be able to 'regenerate' to allow a new actor to take over. Over time it has been explained that the doctor is a 'Time Lord' who has multiple 'regenerations' and lives for over 1000 years. As the show remained popular for a long time this device was employed whenever the lead actor wanted to leave or the BBC wanted to move him on.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Tamara View Post
                    As I said, it's a matter of my past.

I never saw Hartnell as the Doctor, think I only saw Troughton in "The Two Doctors", and I'm not ready to work on Pertwee yet. McCoy I never saw. As far as the others, well, let's just say that a lot of them have got the massive disadvantage of having sponsors that I perturbed once too often.

It's a point of reliving my past, of watching again that which I had fun with. It's not a point of who was first, who is good now, etc, etc, etc.
                    Pertwee is arguably the best doctor. the quality of stories when he was Doctor are equal to the best Tom Baker & are well superior to most of the Peter Davison stories. Pertwee & Tom Baker are generally considered the peak of the show - and with good reason. The Bill Hartnell & Pat Trougton stuff is less well made & patchy, but has an innocent sort of fun. Sadly most of the Colin Baker episodes are average to poor. Sylvester McCoy was also patchy, but generally better. However, not everyone liked his Doctor. Divides opinion.

I would certainly encourage you to seek out the Pertwee episodes. The 1967-80 period is the best of the show.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Bigfella View Post
                      When the show was launched in 1963 (on the day Kennedy was shot) no one thought it would last very long. it was a 'kids show' so they cast an older actor who was a bit like a 'grandfather figure'. At the start we found out that he & his granddaughter were not human, but the specifics weren't clear. They evolved over a very long time.

The show became a huge hit - initially because of the 'Daleks'. By 1966 the health of the first Doctor (Bill Hartnell) was declining. he was forgetting lines & was generally unwell. The show could have ended, but it was decided to continue it, so a device had to be created to change the Doctor that was in some way credible. It was decided that the Doctor's species of alien would be able to 'regenerate' to allow a new actor to take over. Over time it has been explained that the doctor is a 'Time Lord' who has multiple 'regenerations' and lives for over 1000 years. As the show remained popular for a long time this device was employed whenever the lead actor wanted to leave or the BBC wanted to move him on.
                      A very good and convenient and plausible plot device. I approve of it! Not like the other plot devices that so often derailed other sci fi shows like Battlestar Galactica finale when it used the Ex Deux Machina plot device. It was so contrived and stupid.

Comment

A very good and convenient and plausible plot device. I approve of it! Not like the other plot devices that so often derailed other sci fi shows like Battlestar Galactica finale when it used the Ex Deux Machina plot device. It was so contrived and stupid.
                        Wrecked the entire show for me. Felt like they simply didn't have any idea how to finish it & just said 'hey, we'll make some dumb shit up'. I preferred Babylon 5, where the plot lines were quite complex & clever. Flawed but better then BG.

The original Dr Who was an inconsistent proposition. Every 'story' had a different writer & director from the last, so they could vary wildly. As a 'kids show' it was not always taken seriously. people who love it most tend to have been brought up on it. The newer ones are an adult show made by people who grew up as fans of the show. Obviously it appeals most to adults who were also fans as kids, but it could probably work for someone going in 'cold'. There are some contrivances, but they try to keep internal consistency.

If you get the chance check out 'Blakes 7'. Written by Terry Nation, a long time Dr Who writer who invented the Daleks. he saw it as 'grown up' Sci Fi. Well written & fairly well made for the time. Mostly good casting & some ridiculous clothes. Also has a great female villan and Avon, one of the great anti-heroes of TV. He got all the best lines.

sigpic

Comment

To be fair, when one is saying to watch this Doctor or that Blake, they ought to point out one, two, three, more things......especially when one has the influence of the modern world over them.

Ie, Jon Pertwee's Doctor spent most of his time on Earth. His UNIT is NOTHING like the UNIT now. Finally, with Blake's 7 (The villianess, btw, is Jacqueline Pearce who was also in "The Two Doctors".), it went through some substantial changes in its run. Some may be ultimately hooked for "Part 1, Part 2, and Part 3", but personally, to me, all the fun is in Part 1 (1st 2 seasons).

In a way, it's sort of like watching Sliders, of the evolution the cast went through.......though I don't think Blake's 7 had to deal with the terrible stories that the Sliders went through.

As far as "grown up" TV, such can be a problem. Look at the Andersons' Joe 90, Stingray, Thunderbirds, The Secret Service, Fireball. Shows for Kids, right? Then came along UFO and one of the problems was that stations didn't know exactly where to put it.
                          Last edited by Tamara; 04 Oct 13,, 08:49.

Comment

Originally posted by Tamara View Post
                            To be fair, when one is saying to watch this Doctor or that Blake, they ought to point out one, two, three, more things......especially when one has the influence of the modern world over them.

Ie, Jon Pertwee's Doctor spent most of his time on Earth. His UNIT is NOTHING like the UNIT now. Finally, with Blake's 7 (The villianess, btw, is Jacqueline Pearce who was also in "The Two Doctors".), it went through some substantial changes in its run. Some may be ultimately hooked for "Part 1, Part 2, and Part 3", but personally, to me, all the fun is in Part 1 (1st 2 seasons).

In a way, it's sort of like watching Sliders, of the evolution the cast went through.......though I don't think Blake's 7 had to deal with the terrible stories that the Sliders went through.

As far as "grown up" TV, such can be a problem. Look at the Andersons' Joe 90, Stingray, Thunderbirds, The Secret Service, Fireball. Shows for Kids, right? Then came along UFO and one of the problems was that stations didn't know exactly where to put it.
                            Blake's 7 only ran for 4 seasons. Sure there were changes, but I'm not really sure I get your point. Every show changes series to series. Obviously with a show that short you start from the beginning & bail out if you aren't enjoying it. I don't think any of the changes are too much to cope with if you enjoy the first series, though the last definitely isn't of the same standard. As with Dr Who, you take the rough with the smooth because overall it is great.

Also not sure what your point is with Jon Pertwee. Yes, he spent most of his time on earth. The stories are still great. The Master & UNIT are highlights. The interplay between the Doctor, the Master & the Brigadier involve some of the best writing in the history of the show. The various alien invaders are great too. UNIT serves roughly the same purpose then as it has ever since - to provide lots of guys in uniforms whose guns won't kill the bad guys & who therefore die like it is the first day of the Somme.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Bigfella View Post
                              Pertwee is arguably the best doctor. the quality of stories when he was Doctor are equal to the best Tom Baker & are well superior to most of the Peter Davison stories. Pertwee & Tom Baker are generally considered the peak of the show - and with good reason. The Bill Hartnell & Pat Trougton stuff is less well made & patchy, but has an innocent sort of fun. Sadly most of the Colin Baker episodes are average to poor. Sylvester McCoy was also patchy, but generally better. However, not everyone liked his Doctor. Divides opinion.

I would certainly encourage you to seek out the Pertwee episodes. The 1967-80 period is the best of the show.
                              It does depend on what one sees in things. Of course, one of the benefits I have is that I have read most of the books through Colin Baker. Did that back in the 80's. So the concepts, the backgrounds that I know of the Doctor is more than just the TV screen.

But there are other things as well. Like watching Sarah Sutton grow up. Davison's Doctor was, IMHO, much better at interacting with the civilized world, such as in Time-Flight, Black Orchid, The Caves of ...., 4 to Doomsday, Madrywn Undead, Visitation. Further, there was a Lewis Carrol touch to him with his trio entourage.

Tom Baker is best with Romana II. The magic is just there. Next best is with Leela but then, it is not necessarily the cast interaction but the concept of the Doctor traveling with his own fighting UNIT, all rolled into one person.....and he's in charge.

Colin Baker may be weak, but the cast around him can be incredible. Like I said last night, I felt a need to watch "Orcini" in action. Or the hero and villains in Vengeance on Varos. Or the meal of forever in The Two Doctors. Or The Rani. Or the night by the fountain in The Twin Dilemma.

With Pertwee, with me, it's iffy. I have seen Inferno, Ambassadors of Death, Planet of Spiders, The Time Warrior, Claws of Axos, perhaps others.....and have not really been that impressed. Now, it might be that I saw Baker/Ward first and I held it to that standard so maybe a review is in order.......but that will have to wait for another month, maybe, before I make that order.

Comment

Working...
                              X