John McCain responds in Pravda

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• John McCain responds in Pravda

On 11 September 2013, an opinion piece by Russian Federation President Vladimir V. Putin was published in the New York Times. He defended Russia's stance on Syria. He also derided the United States for a propensity to use military force to solve international problems and complained that America is not the 'exceptional' nation it imagines itself to be.

New York Tiimes: A Plea for Caution From Russia: What Putin Has to Say to Americans About Syria

In a first of its kind arrangement, on 13 September the editors of the Russian news site Pravda agreed to publish a response to Mr. Putin by United States Senator John McCain. This response was published today.

Pravda Russian: Сенатор Джон Маккейн: "Россияне заслуживают лучшего чем Путин"

Pravda English: Senator John McCain: "Russians deserve better than Putin"
    sigpic

Mr. McCain,

You eschewed political doublespeak and spoke the simple truth here. I thank you.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Minskaya View Post
      Mr. McCain,

You eschewed political doublespeak and spoke the simple truth here. I thank you.
      Nice change of pace, though I can't imagine Pravda would have published it if they thought anyone would pay attention. probably plays better to a US audience.
      sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

How exactly is this article answer to Putin?

McCain only talks about himself and shows his total misunderstanding of events in Russia.

The choice of Pravda for his article tells us all we need to know about his competence.

And his opinion about Pussy Riot and gay rights is the best pro-Putin propaganda possible.
        Winter is coming.

Comment

Front page on Pravda.ru. This will hopefully be picked up by Russian outlets such as ITAR-TASS, RIA Novosti, Interfax, Izvestia, Vedomosti, RT, and virtually every print and online news source around the globe.

Originally posted by NUS View Post
          The choice of Pravda for his article tells us all we need to know about his competence.
          Pravda.ru offered. McCain accepted. Pravda print (which no one reads) would not publish unless McCain altered his views on Syria.
          Last edited by Minskaya; 19 Sep 13,, 12:30.
          sigpic

Comment

*Thinking that this man could have been US President*
            No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

You can find this virtually anywhere in the world except in Russia.

No Russian media (not even RT) has so far covered this except RIA Novosti (the English edition but not the Russian edition).

Lol. Color me surprised.
              sigpic

Comment

No Russian media (not even RT) has so far covered this except RIA Novosti (the English edition but not the Russian edition).

Lol. Color me surprised.
                Why would they? If they wanted, they'd give McCain a guest column ;)

Frankly, I don't get his piece.

It is so egocentric and impulsive.
                No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

McCain took this rare opportunity to jettison a life-long personal animus towards the Kremlin. Along the way however, he also articulated some ugly truths about Putin's Russia.

There were some inaccuracies and misunderstandings, but quite a bit of his government criticism was spot-on. One of those criticisms was a controlled press.

I was wondering if the Russian media would dare publish McCain's indictments verbatim. Seems McCain was correct.
                  sigpic

Comment

Try harder. There are at least 6 news both in ITAR-TASS and russian version of RIA about it. And in any major mediia, including russian RT.
                    Winter is coming.

Comment

Try harder. There are at least 6 news both in ITAR-TASS and russian version of RIA about it. And in any major mediia, including russian RT.
                      Not when I looked at Post #7. Did they publish verbatim? Or just give a synopsis/criticism?
                      sigpic

Comment

Not when I looked at Post #7. Did they publish verbatim? Or just give a synopsis/criticism?
                        Π˜Π’ΠΠ*-ВАББ : Π”ΠΆΠΎΠ½ ΠœΠ°ΠΊΠΊΠ΅ΠΉΠ½ ΠΎΠΏΡƒΠ±Π»ΠΈΠΊΠΎΠ²Π°Π» ΠΊΠΎΠΌΠΌΠ΅Π½Ρ‚Π°Ρ€ΠΈΠΉ ΠΏΠΎ событиям Π² Π*оссии

There is no need to publish it verbatim. There is a magical thing in internet. They call it link.
                        Winter is coming.

Comment

There is no need to publish it verbatim. There is a magical thing in internet. They call it link.
                          Bout time. I still can't find it on RT.
                          sigpic

Comment

Thanks NUS. Although I doubt the average Russian gives a damn about McCain's OpEd, it's good to see they have the option to either read it or not bother.

It's not anywhere on the front page though. You have to rummage around for it.
                            Last edited by Minskaya; 19 Sep 13,, 18:00.
                            sigpic

Comment

Working...
                            X