PDA

View Full Version : Washington DC Navy Yard shooting Sept 16 2013

Oracle
16 Sep 13,, 15:59

A D.C. police officer is among the people shot at the Washington Navy Yard on Monday morning.

A police spokesman confirmed at 9:20 a.m. that the officer was shot near the room where a lone gunman has barricaded himself after allegedly shooting at least three people on the Navy Yard grounds in Southeast Washington.

The U.S. Navy said that three shots were fired around 8:20 a.m. at the Naval Sea Systems Command Headquarters building, where about 3,000 people work.

Police said that at least three, possibly four, people were shot. All are in critical condition, authorities said.

A “shelter in place” order has been issued for Navy Yard personnel, authorities said.

Police closed the 11th St Bridge as well as M St SE between 2nd and 4th streets SE due to the shooting. Entrances to the Navy Yard Metro station remain open.

U.S. Capitol Police confirmed enhanced security at the Capitol, but no immediate threat.

Tyler Elementary School at 10th and G streets in Southeast is on lockdown.

As helicopters circled overhead and emergency vehicles continued to rush to the scene, crowds of onlookers gathered on sidewalks and at a construction site near the Navy Yard, but police pushed them back, yelling at them to keep a distance from the grounds.

One employee who declined to give his name said he heard “blam, blam” inside one of the buildings, then someone pulled the fire alarm.

“We aren’t going back on base today,” he said. “[But] there are still people inside.”

Reports began circulating around 9:30 a.m. that the suspect was “down,” but D.C. police said the suspect is still on the loose and “hiding between floors.”

Washington Post (http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/police-search-for-active-shooter-on-grounds-of-washington-navy-yard-in-southeast-dc/2013/09/16/b1d72b9a-1ecb-11e3-b7d1-7153ad47b549_story.html)

DonBelt
16 Sep 13,, 16:08
The last report was that the perp was at navsea systems. Prayers for the people there and bullets for the peep.

Red Team
16 Sep 13,, 16:38
Update: 4 killed, 8 wounded; 1 shooter down.

Shooting at Washington Navy Yard (http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/liveblog/wp/2013/09/16/shooting-at-washington-navy-yard/#liveblog-entry-17633)

bigross86
16 Sep 13,, 17:02
News here said 4 dead, 10 injured

Defcon5
16 Sep 13,, 18:34
Death toll increased to 6. Seems like there are 3 shooters, One white male and One Black male has identified according to reports. Third one still hiding.

citanon
16 Sep 13,, 18:54
If it's 3 shooters that sounds like a terrorist attack.

Oracle
16 Sep 13,, 20:15
1 shooter dead, two suspects remain.

Reuters have tweeted that 12 persons have died.

Washington Post have tweeted:

Police: 2 possible shooters
White man, 40-50, wearing tan, beret hat
Black man 40-50, wearing olive, gray sideburns

Latest tweet from CBS News:

D.C. police chief Cathy Lanier says search still on for two other potential suspects in #NavyYardShooting

May their souls R.I.P.

antimony
16 Sep 13,, 20:23
Breaking news:

At least 12 dead in Navy Yard shooting. Two possible suspects at large - The Washington Post (http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/police-search-for-active-shooter-on-grounds-of-washington-navy-yard-in-southeast-dc/2013/09/16/b1d72b9a-1ecb-11e3-b7d1-7153ad47b549_story.html)

Excerpt

At least nine people are dead after as many as three shooters dressed in military style uniforms opened fire in a rampage at the Washington Navy Yard on Monday, police said, spreading fear and chaos across the region as authorities tried to contain the incident.

D.C. Police Chief Cathy Lanier said in a mid-day news conference that one of the suspected shooters is dead, while authorities are looking for two other suspects wearing green and tan military style clothing.

Some lowlives keep coming back :mad::frown:

Anyone has a handle on what is going on?

RIP to the dead, I am seeing reports of 9-12 dead till now

Red Team
16 Sep 13,, 20:26
EDIT: Thread merged, thanks mods :)

DonBelt
So far it sounds like 12 dead, 3 shooters, 1 dead 2 unaccounted for. If the number of shooters is accurate, that would seem to rule out disgruntled employee, jilted lover or run of the mill nut case. Still, hard to say what is accurate at this point. We'll have to wait and see what comes out.

tbm3fan
Current CNN story

12 killed in Navy Yard shooting rampage; suspects may be on loose - CNN.com (http://www.cnn.com/2013/09/16/us/dc-navy-yard-gunshots/index.html?hpt=hp_t1)

Minskaya
16 Sep 13,, 20:35
DC Police Department
@DCPoliceDept

Navy Yd Suspects: B/M 50 yrs, w/rifle, drab olive military uniform;
S2 W/M pistol, Navy-style khaki uniform, short slv, beret

TopHatter
16 Sep 13,, 20:57
RIP to the victims.

How long before the idiotic "false flag" theories start up? :mad:

Doktor
16 Sep 13,, 21:05
RIP to the victims.

DonBelt
16 Sep 13,, 21:16
i wonder if the other 2 suspects were just leo's that the witnesses saw but maybe were unfamiliar with the uniforms? Seems like there is an alphabet soup of law enforcement agencies there.

Oracle
16 Sep 13,, 21:28
Reuters tweet: Reuters Live (http://live.reuters.com/Event/US_Live_Blog)

Two federal law enforcement sources tentatively identify Navy Yard shooter as 34 year old Aaron Alexis, one-time Fort Worth, Texas resident.

Also, DC Police tweet "white male in tan outfit" mentioned at earlier press conf has been identified & is not a suspect.

dave lukins
16 Sep 13,, 23:37
''A gunman who died after killing 12 people at a naval installation in Washington DC has been identified as a former Navy serviceman. Alexis was formerly a petty officer 3rd class who served full-time in the naval reserve from 2007-11, said the US Navy''.

dave lukins
17 Sep 13,, 00:13
Further reports suggest ''Aaron Alexis the heavily armed gunman was revealed to have a prior arrest for letting off a gun when he lived in Fort Worth, Texas, in 2010. The 34-year-old, who worked as a civilian contractor at the military base in the nation's capital, entered the complex's cafeteria just before 8.30am brandishing an AR-15 semi-automatic rifle, shotgun and handgun and began shooting'' The FBI said that Alexis was shot dead by officers.

RIP and my deepest condolences to the families of the victims and a speedy recovery to the injured.

Wooglin
17 Sep 13,, 15:31
Did anyone check with Bigfella and AR if it's ok to talk about this shooting? Is this one ok, or is there the potential for someone's feelings to get hurt?

Just wondering.

Gunman treated for mental health issues, US officials say - Boston.com (http://www.boston.com/news/nation/2013/09/17/gunman-treated-for-mental-health-issues-officials-say/OmVoZDuPwQ36iC89d8c0wK/story.html)

US law enforcement officials told The Associated Press that Alexis had been suffering a host of serious mental issues, including paranoia and a sleep disorder. He also had been hearing voices in his head, the officials said. Alexis had been treated since August by the Veterans Administration for his mental problems, the officials said. They spoke on condition of anonymity because the criminal investigation in the case was continuing.

The Navy had not declared him mentally unfit, which would have rescinded a security clearance Alexis had from his earlier time in the Navy Reserves.

Family members told investigators Alexis was being treated for his mental issues.

At the time of the shootings, he worked for The Experts, a subcontractor on an HP Enterprise Services contract to refresh equipment used on the Navy Marine Corps Intranet network.

His life over the past decade has been checkered.

Doktor
17 Sep 13,, 15:52
Did anyone check with Bigross and AR if it's ok to talk about this shooting? Is this one ok, or is there the potential for someone's feelings to get hurt?

Just wondering.

:confused:

bigross86
17 Sep 13,, 23:04
Did anyone check with Bigross and AR if it's ok to talk about this shooting? Is this one ok, or is there the potential for someone's feelings to get hurt?

Just wondering.

Gunman treated for mental health issues, US officials say - Boston.com (http://www.boston.com/news/nation/2013/09/17/gunman-treated-for-mental-health-issues-officials-say/OmVoZDuPwQ36iC89d8c0wK/story.html)

Huh? What did I do?

Wooglin
17 Sep 13,, 23:22
Huh? What did I do?

My Apologies. I meant Bigfella.

gf0012-aust
18 Sep 13,, 00:04
This is a tragedy evolving...

can we not travel down the path of eating other members

its entirely inappropriate and serves no purpose in informing others to whats occurred to date

desertswo
18 Sep 13,, 00:42
''A gunman who died after killing 12 people at a naval installation in Washington DC has been identified as a former Navy serviceman. Alexis was formerly a petty officer 3rd class who served full-time in the naval reserve from 2007-11, said the US Navy''.

Uh, OK, I'm just a regular Navy kind of guy, but what does "served full-time in the naval reserve from 2007-2011" mean? Either someone is in the Naval Reserve, and has been called to active duty for some period, usually not more than some number of months, or someone is in the regular Navy full-time. It's a very confusing report that leads to misunderstandings about the shooter's actual military status if any.

bonehead
18 Sep 13,, 04:43
We need a lot less of these tragedies and that is all there is to it.

Officer of Engineers
18 Sep 13,, 05:06
Uh, OK, I'm just a regular Navy kind of guy, but what does "served full-time in the naval reserve from 2007-2011" mean? Either someone is in the Naval Reserve, and has been called to active duty for some period, usually not more than some number of months, or someone is in the regular Navy full-time. It's a very confusing report that leads to misunderstandings about the shooter's actual military status if any.Sir,
Really?

I took it as standard that this person was working for the DOD full time, ie 37.5 hours a week, while wearing a reservist uniform.

My 2 section leader was a reservist while I was at NDHQ.

desertswo
18 Sep 13,, 08:03
Sir,
Really?

I took it as standard that this person was working for the DOD full time, ie 37.5 hours a week, while wearing a reservist uniform.

My 2 section leader was a reservist while I was at NDHQ.

I had a lot of reservists report to me for active duty between 9/11/01 and 7/01/03 when I walked out the door, and I didn't read it that way at all.

Minskaya
18 Sep 13,, 14:37
My deep condolences to the families, friends, and colleague's of this senseless act.

Rest in Blessed Peace

tuna
18 Sep 13,, 20:58
Uh, OK, I'm just a regular Navy kind of guy, but what does "served full-time in the naval reserve from 2007-2011" mean? Either someone is in the Naval Reserve, and has been called to active duty for some period, usually not more than some number of months, or someone is in the regular Navy full-time. It's a very confusing report that leads to misunderstandings about the shooter's actual military status if any.

Sir,
I'm in the Air National Guard but it's my understanding that the Reserves work in pretty much the same way, without being subject to state recall.
There are 3 classes of Guardsmen: Drill Status, AGR and Technicians.
The Drill Status Guardsmen, DSGs, are what you think of when you think of the Guard and Reserve. They have a regular job outside the military and (with the exception of deployments) do their "one weekend a month, two weeks during the summer".
The AGR, Active Guard and Reserve (the name makes me think the reserves have this too), is pretty much a full time member of the service (Army, Navy, Air Force or Marines) who doesn't PCS. They are paid the same as their active duty counterpart, are held to the same standards of the UCMJ, and are subject to being called in when needed (ie - units with a 24 hour alert mission will have AGRs who can be ordered in to work)
Technicians are federal employees who are paid on a civilian pay scale (GS or WG, depending on the job) and who's job depends on being a member in good standing of the Guard or Reserve. They usually still wear the uniform and use military customs and courtesies, to make things easier, during the week, but are civilians and follow a different (though similar) set of rules.

That is it in a nutshell, let me know if you want to be really confused and I'll start in on all the different types of days and status that we can be working.

surfgun
23 Sep 13,, 03:05
The President used the memorial service to make political points today. I guess he wants to ban Remington 870 pump-action shotguns now (as no semi-automatic rifles were used in this crime)? "Aaron Alexis, 34, bought a Remington 870 Express shotgun and about two dozen shells" Obama memorializes Navy Yard victims, issues call for tighter gun laws | Navy Times | navytimes.com (http://www.navytimes.com/article/20130922/NEWS/309220023/Obama-memorializes-Navy-Yard-victims-issues-call-tighter-gun-laws)

Status Quo
26 Sep 13,, 02:10
Link to the FBI footage to the shooting:
Video Footage of Shooter at Washington Navy Yard - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dsLQLVk7nY)
And since I cannot edit my posts yet(don't know if link(s) will work), for safe keeping, here's another link
FBI Releases Footage of Navy Yard Shooter | FP Passport (http://blog.foreignpolicy.com/posts/2013/09/25/fbi_releases_footage_of_navy_yard_shooter)

surfgun
26 Sep 13,, 03:21
He had to be crazy, he drove a Prius!
Investigators: Navy Yard shooter (http://www.stripes.com/investigators-navy-yard-shooter-s-weapon-shows-troubled-mind-1.243371)

DonBelt
26 Sep 13,, 04:57
So he had 2 prior shooting incidents and a record of mental illness. What additional gun laws would've stopped this? Maybe his 3rd shooting incident and they would've done something about it then? Well his 3rd one resulted in 12 deaths plus his own so too late for that! I'm against the majority of so-called gun control laws, but I don't have any major objections to a back ground check. Doctors should report people with mental illnesses that would prevent them from making rational decisions, violent felons and people with restraining orders should be on the list. Have an appeals or review process as necessary. And if you commit a crime with a firearm you should lose the right. But instead we will have to face yet more restrictions and accusations of "nutty gun owners".

Status Quo
26 Sep 13,, 05:16
Don,

I highly doubt that additional gun laws would actually have an impact in society at large. It's simply an issue in which people want to control in order to make themselves feel good when falling asleep at night, similar to the TSA's job. And to achieve that erroneous goal, people commit ad hominems left and right against "nutty gun owners." (which is an extremely effective method approach given that many people don't know the difference between a fallacious argument and a cogent one. Plus, it strikes an emotional cord, which is always a good technique.) There are so many guns out there (300 million or something like that right?) that any further gun laws (besides background checks - I support these) is pretty much useless. And don't even get me started on gun buy-back programs, one learns about how these are fundamentally useless in achieving there interests (which relates to my original point) in a basic micro econ class.

Tamara
26 Sep 13,, 13:37
Well, who do we trust to make the right decisions, to decide whether someone is mentally stable to have a gun or not? This is a very slippery slope especially now when it seems we have a government in the medical decision business.

Albany Rifles
26 Sep 13,, 15:44
Don,

To make the very sane changes you recommend would require new laws and modifications to some existing laws (HIPA for example).

Doktor
26 Sep 13,, 15:48
How would doctors file a report that one is insane?

What happens with the privileged relationship and secrecy?

Edit: AR already covered it :red:

desertswo
26 Sep 13,, 15:58
How would doctors file a report that one is insane?

What happens with the privileged relationship and secrecy?

That's exactly the point. You lived under Big Brother. I for one have no desire to. For me, I have lately taken to the phrase that is becoming very current among like-minded Americans: "μολὼν λαβέ" ("come and take")

Doktor
26 Sep 13,, 22:46
That's exactly the point. You lived under Big Brother. I for one have no desire to. For me, I have lately taken to the phrase that is becoming very current among like-minded Americans: "μολὼν λαβέ" ("come and take")

We have lived under Big Brother? Unfortunately, what is being installed over here, is nothing compared to the Commie days.
And that's some 40 years of filing various personal info, including "Unique Master Number of the Citizen", height, eye color, marital status...
To be worse, the Big Bro is gathering the data for God knows what, which would be everything, but what they say they do - our security.

From what's around on the net, The land of the free is not much better, if any.