Only in ozz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Only in ozz

dear o dear , book yer holidays in sunny islam , warra bloodyyyy sheelaa hahaha and these peeps wanna be in charge ,,:slap:

oops come to the uk , theres a job waitin for you , camorons or cleggs so its not just in Ozz :whome:

Yahoo! News UK & Ireland - Latest World News & UK News Headlines
    Last edited by tankie; 10 Aug 13,, 17:59.

For those unfamiliar with Oz politics One Nation is the burned out remnant of a right wing nationalist party that briefly earned notoriety in 1996 when its founder, Pauline Hanson, was ditched as a Liberal Party (actually Tories) candidate for racist comments. She won as an independent, formed One nation & then became a sort of redneck soap opera for the next 15 years.

One Nation voters have always embraced with enthusiasm the sort of virulent anti-intellectualism that inhabits the fringes of right wing politics & all too often leaks in a diluted form into the mainstream. As a result every stupid/nasty/racist statement Hanson made (and there were many) cemented her support among her base. In that respect she was a more stupid Australian version of a Palin or Bachmann, and like them she succeeded in shrinking her party's national vote as a result, though there were short term local successes. This party hasn't won any sort of seat in any legislature in Australia for 7 years & they won't do so in the foreseeable future. This is partly because they are a freakshow & partly because the mainstream has moved to the right & sucked up their voters.

This is the interview in question....or an edited version of it at least. The girl in question claims it had been edited to make her look more stupid. I have no trouble believing that, but she is still as dumb as a rock.

sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

Ms Banister has thought better of here foray into politics & has quit the race. It is worth pointing out that as a fringe party candidate in an electorate held by the Labor Party by 10%c means that she had about as much chance of winning the seat as I do of winning miss World....and I'm probably better qualified for that than she is for Federal Parliament.

One Nation candidate Stephanie Banister, who made international headlines after describing Islam as a country, has pulled out of the federal election race.

The party has confirmed that Ms Banister is no longer seeking election in the Queensland seat of Rankin.

One Nation leader Jim Savage says she was not disendorsed, but made the decision to withdraw following ridicule and threats.

"Stephanie Banister has withdrawn her nomination to stand following the disgraceful way she has been portrayed by recent media [and] ridicule over a minor gaffe in a statement she made to Channel Seven," he said in a statement to the ABC.

"She is taking this action following threats received by her and in the interests of her family and of the party.

"She had one phone call where somebody said under sharia law, 'we'd take care of people like you'.

"She's had a lot of criticism on Facebook and on Twitter. People saying very nasty things about her and it's just been so overwhelming."

The 27-year-old was widely mocked after making multiple errors during an interview with Seven News on Wednesday night.

"I don't oppose Islam as a country, but I do feel that their laws should not be welcome here in Australia," Ms Banister said.

She claimed 2 per cent of Australians "follow haram" - an apparent reference to the Koran, the Muslim holy text.

She advocated a ban on halal food, but said kosher food was permissible for followers of Judaism.

"Jews aren't under haram, they have their own religion which follows Jesus Christ," she said.

She also described the national disability insurance scheme, which does not begin until after 2016, as a policy that was "working at the moment".

On Thursday, Ms Banister told Fairfax Media she felt her comments had been taken out of context to make her look like a "stupid moron".

She said she had meant to say "Islamic countries" and had corrected herself many times, but that was cut from the interview that went to air.

The controversy surrounding Ms Banister came after Liberal candidate Jaymes Diaz made global news for being unable to detail the party's asylum seeker policy during an interview with Channel Ten.

Rankin is held by outgoing former Labor minister Craig Emerson by a margin of 10 per cent.
      One Nation candidate Stephanie Banister quits election race after Islam gaffe - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)
      sigpic

Comment

Can we blame One Nation for spawning the Tea Party?
        Pauline Hanson . . . Sarah Palin . . . ?
        Trust me?
        I'm an economist!

Comment

Now, if you want something truly disturbing this is it. This guy is running as a Liberal candidate in the most marginal Labor seat in NSW. Unlike Ms Banister, this guy is an extremely good chance to get into Parliament. He can't even get past rote learned slogans.

The word is that his father is a local councillor who is hooked up with a hardline Catholic faction in the far right of the NSW Liberal Party (known by some as the 'Opus Dei' faction for its connections to that particular organization). Apparently the Federal Party didn't want Diaz as a candidate, but had already taken on the far right of the party in a number of other pre-selection battles in NSW and didn't have the political capital for another battle here. I would like to think he will lose, but given the national situation I'm not hopeful.
          Last edited by Bigfella; 11 Aug 13,, 02:14.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by DOR View Post
            Can we blame One Nation for spawning the Tea Party?
            Pauline Hanson . . . Sarah Palin . . . ?
            Nah, strictly a local phenomenon. I'm afraid these sort of trends pop up all over the place.
            sigpic

Comment

Just to clarify for all non Australians

Liberal Party in Aust = Republicans in the US or Tories in the UK
              Labor Party in Aust = Dems in the US or Lab in the UK
              Last edited by gf0012-aust; 11 Aug 13,, 06:41.
              Linkeden:
              http://au.linkedin.com/pub/gary-fairlie/1/28a/2a2
              http://cofda.wordpress.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Bigfella View Post
                The girl in question claims it had been edited to make her look more stupid. I have no trouble believing that, but she is still as dumb as a rock.
                It didn't need to be edited out to show that she's as sharp as a bowling ball
                Linkeden:
                http://au.linkedin.com/pub/gary-fairlie/1/28a/2a2
                http://cofda.wordpress.com/

Comment

... she had about as much chance of winning the seat as I do of winning miss World....and I'm probably better qualified for that than she is for Federal Parliament.
                  A bold statement, after all how do we know what you look like in a bikini? ... And no I don't want you to send me proof!
                  Last edited by Monash; 11 Aug 13,, 09:54.
                  If you are emotionally invested in 'believing' something is true you have lost the ability to tell if it is true.

Comment

Shit , she has 2 children , surely thats a criminal offence allowing her to breed :slap:

Comment

It seems 'stupiditis' is creeping up the chain of command. For those of us who have long maintained that our would be PM is an @sshole....

“No one,” Tony Abbott told a Melbourne gathering of Liberal Party faithful, “however smart, however well-educated, however experienced … is the suppository of all wisdom”.
                      Read more: Liberals squirm as Abbott refers to 'the suppository of wisdom'
                      sigpic

Comment

Personally I think most Australians would be quite happy if all our politicians availed themselves of a "suppository of wisdom". The larger the better.
                        If you are emotionally invested in 'believing' something is true you have lost the ability to tell if it is true.

Comment

Originally posted by Monash View Post
                          Personally I think most Australians would be quite happy if all our politicians availed themselves of a "suppository of wisdom". The larger the better.
                          Yep. Can't think of a party leader right now I would actually want as PM....and I don't just mean the big two. Wasn't always that way & may not always be that way, but for mine we've mostly been stuck with varieties of awful for a decade now.

That said, I imagine people always feel that way depending on their political perspective. Even at his peak Hawke had his haters. Guess we are just in a bit of a trough at the moment.
                          sigpic

Comment

Suppository

Guess he thinks that's the way to get wise. Would explain a lot about politicians. Worldwide.
                            No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Yep. Can't think of a party leader right now I would actually want as PM....and I don't just mean the big two. Wasn't always that way & may not always be that way, but for mine we've mostly been stuck with varieties of awful for a decade now.

That said, I imagine people always feel that way depending on their political perspective. Even at his peak Hawke had his haters. Guess we are just in a bit of a trough at the moment.
                              There's always the truism that while there may not be anyone you want to vote for there's always someone you want to vote against!

Comment

Working...
                              X