Scopes and Such

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scopes and Such

I was looking recently in the local gun store to find out if it would be right to convert my .222 into .223, and the salesman (a Vietnam sniper) suggested that I get an H&R rifle, MOA accurate, with scope mount, for $169.

So I looked into that, and after figuring sales figures for my farmstand (If you happen to drive past Lancaster, be sure to stop here mid july to mid-august), I found that I could buy that rife with a good scope.

So I checked-out scopes, and found this one that I liked: http://www.riflescopes.com/products/...riflescope.htm
    specs:
    Specifications
    Weight (oz): 17.5
    Length (in): 13.5
    Eye Relief (in): 3
    Field of View @ 100yds (ft): 29 - 10.5
    Exit Pupil (mm): 13 - 4
    MOA: 1/4
    Lens Coating: Fully Coated
    Warranty: Limited Lifetime

Is this a good scope? If not, please suggest a better one; I have $300 to spend on a scope and rings, and I don't know squat to what makes a good scope.

sniperdude411,

BSA is good bang for your buck. I use a BSA 6-24x40 Mil-Dot with Illuminated reticule on one of my ARs. The Panther is a good chose. Bottom line is that it is not a $1100 scope and it is not a Tasco either. With optics you pretty much get what you pay for. :)
    Attached Files
    AK-Dave

Those who trade liberty for security have none.

Comment

A 50mm objective lens is better for lowlight shooting, but 40mm isn't bad by any means.

Comment

After shooting 'Expert' with one with NO MAGNIFICATION AT ALL, I swear by red dots. It is simply a matter of breathing and squeezing. You dam' near can't miss, and we had first-time s******* getting some GREAT scores after zeroing their sights.

Simply excellent.

Comment

They let you qualify with red dots?

LOL...what is the world coming too?

Comment

Fight like you train, right? We'll take 'em into the situation where we need 'em, and we'll have the know-how and confidence to use 'em to best advantage.

But, I know what you mean: it DOES feel like cheating. ;)

Comment

Probably because it is cheating. ;)

I hope they're still training you how to zero with and hit with iron sites.

Good forbid your batteries should die in the middle of a firefight. ;)

Comment

Wow...

AK Dave is more of a help than M21...
                Thank's for the help AK Dave; M21 I still need to hear from you on optics.

Comment

Originally posted by M21Sniper
                  Probably because it is cheating. ;)

I hope they're still training you how to zero with and hit with iron sites.

Good forbid your batteries should die in the middle of a firefight. ;)
                  Zeroing with your iron sights is always the first order of business. However, I wouldn't recommend a M68 for anything other than reflex shooting or for shooting 200m or shorter. After 200m, the MOA of the dot begins to obscure the target. I'd want a scope that allows you to adjust for windage and elevation and do range-E so that you can do the appropriate windage/elevation adjustments (unless your super high speed and buy a spotting scope).
                  "So little pains do the vulgar take in the investigation of truth, accepting readily the first story that comes to hand." Thucydides 1.20.3

Comment

Originally posted by shek
                    Zeroing with your iron sights is always the first order of business. However, I wouldn't recommend a M68 for anything other than reflex shooting or for shooting 200m or shorter. After 200m, the MOA of the dot begins to obscure the target. I'd want a scope that allows you to adjust for windage and elevation and do range-E so that you can do the appropriate windage/elevation adjustments (unless your super high speed and buy a spotting scope).
                    Or you could get a fire control system.

Comment

Working...
                    X