X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Britain Demands Cash Bonds for Visas From 6 States

Britain Demands Cash Bonds for Visas From 6 States
    July 29, 2013

Britain's Home Office confirmed Monday it will demand a 3,000-pound ($4,630) refundable bond for visas for "high-risk" visitors from six former colonies in Africa and Asia — a pilot scheme that has brought warnings at home and abroad that it will damage trade. Britain said in a statement Monday that it will go ahead with the pilot scheme despite the outrage, charges of discrimination and warnings of retaliation. The statement sent by email did not say when the pilot program would start. But it said it could apply the scheme in the future for all visas and any country. "The pilot will apply to visitor visas, but if the scheme is successful we'd like to be able to apply it on an intelligence-led basis on any visa route and any country," it said.

For now, the targeted countries are Nigeria, Ghana, India, Pakistan, Bangladesh and Sri Lanka. Government data shows citizens of those countries applied for more than half a million visas to Britain last year. There were protests in India last month when British Prime Minister David Cameron visited, causing him to declare that a final decision had not been taken on the policy. The Home Office said it hopes the bond system deters overstaying of visas and recovers costs of foreign nationals using public services like hospitals and schools. Immigration was a key issue in Cameron's election campaign for his Conservative Party. Cameron has pledged to cut net immigration from 252,000 a year in 2010 to 100,000 a year by 2015.

The Home Office statement said the visa bond "is the next step in making sure our immigration system is more selective, bringing down net migration from the hundreds of thousands to the tens of thousands while still welcoming the brightest and the best to Britain."
    Source: ABC News

I'm guessing that these six "high risk" countries comprise the majority of visa overstays in Britain.

Bound to ruffle a lot of feathers, but I can understand the motivation.
    sigpic

Seems reasonable.

Comment

I have no problem with this. India can demand a cash bond of 10000 pounds with compounding interest per person from British people when they want to visit India. After all we don't want them to overstay like they did the last time.

Comment

I don't think the last time India was in a position to put demands.
        No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

I don't think its about overstays, although the article says so. I have personally seen Indians and Indian IT companies abuse the British Visa system.

IT companies get their employees a business visa to work in Britain because it is cheap and less time consuming than a work permit. This is illegal. Britain loses millions of pounds in tax every year.

Also, many people from India visit Britain on a tourist visa, and as soon as they clear immigration, throw away their passport. Immigration have a hard time establishing their identity, if caught. This is undocumented illegal immigration.

I have also seen my ex's friends (2 ladies) from Bangladesh doing the same. They went to Britain in 2002 on a student visa, but were working in Nando's instead of studying, and that was the year 2006. I heard they are still in Britain.
          Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Comment

This is more insanity in my view though I understand why it is done. It is done to stop 'health tourism' and the like I presume since all British hospitals are free to anyone who turns up. The point is if someone has to pay a £3,000 bond to visit that is £3,000 less they have to spend while visiting. It also encourages counter measures from the countries on who's nationals it is charged as Blademaster notes at a time when UK business's should be encouraged to do more business with India and in other 'emerging markets'. If you do want those visiting on a visa to use 'free' services payed for by the taxpayer fine... Let them be told 'no' when they ask to use such services or charged for their use. Making them pay a £3000 bond before they enter discourages them coming at all and quite possibly they have much to offer whether it be in the IT industry or working for Nando's - they're still paying tax.

Comment

I have no problem with this. India can demand a cash bond of 10000 pounds with compounding interest per person from British people when they want to visit India. After all we don't want them to overstay like they did the last time.
              It wasn't a third worlders over staying a Visa issue - more of "gallant martial races" fleeing in terror at the sight of red coats.

And ain't a "we" I would imagine as ironically you don't live in India
              To sit down with these men and deal with them as the representatives of an enlightened and civilized people is to deride ones own dignity and to invite the disaster of their treachery - General Matthew Ridgway

Comment

Originally posted by snapper View Post
                This is more insanity in my view though I understand why it is done. It is done to stop 'health tourism' and the like I presume since all British hospitals are free to anyone who turns up.
                Sir,
                I agree it is insane for these kind of rules to be passed, which in the long term would be criticized and probably revoked. I have been to the UK on both business visa and work permit (which is still valid). I got a NI number too. As expats, the first 24 months we who visit Britain on a work permit don't have to pay any tax. There might be a certain threshold in the pay cheque for tax to come into force, which I know not. So, those times I have been sick while in the UK, I went to a local chemist and bought day nurse/night nurse. Even now I don't know if NHS is free for me. Health tourism -- or rather free healthcare is free for members of the EU only, if I am not wrong.

The point is if someone has to pay a £3,000 bond to visit that is £3,000 less they have to spend while visiting. It also encourages counter measures from the countries on who's nationals it is charged as Blademaster notes at a time when UK business's should be encouraged to do more business with India and in other 'emerging markets'.
                I agree. Even if there are no counter measures this is a flawed system. There should be open borders for the genuine and skilled for a country to march forward in a globalized world. US is good in that.

If you do want those visiting on a visa to use 'free' services payed for by the taxpayer fine... Let them be told 'no' when they ask to use such services or charged for their use.
                Exactly my point. I opt for a service, I pay for it.

Making them pay a £3000 bond before they enter discourages them coming at all and quite possibly they have much to offer whether it be in the IT industry or working for Nando's - they're still paying tax.
                Sir, I was talking about illegal immigration and visa fraud from what I have seen. And yeah they are paying tax.
                Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Comment

Sir since I see you are a 'new member' firstly welcome, secondly you are forgiven for misidentifying my gender. In English I am a 'Miss' (used to be Mademoiselle in France when I was small and before they banned the word).

Regarding your remarks firstly on the Health Service; once a person is in the country they are legally obliged to treat you - 'free' at the point of demand. The Doctor or Nurse or any staff can ask if a patient may be a foreign national. Illegal immigrants even waiting to be deported subject to a decision by an Immigration Tribunal, should they be ill, are entitled to medical care. With the EU there is quid pro quo system - they treat UK nationals 'free at the point of demand' and send the Bill to the British Government, there is some form you can get from a Post Office I believe which gives this EU cover. Most British people traveling abroad, even on a two week holiday, take out a private travel insurance which gives added health guarantees in most cases. I actually claimed such an insurance policy once to pay for an overnight treatment in a French hospital having fractured my shoulder in a skiing fall - ambulance to the airport in the morning and free plane ticket back to London; well worth my £30-£40 insurance cost. My point is clear I hope - those wishing to visit the UK short term should perhaps be obliged to have insurance rather than put up a bond... let the free market sort it and not the damn Governments!

Regarding illegal immigration it is by definition deport - able. Just not enough people keeping tabs on where the expired visa people are and sadly for such people who are illegals they are probably payed a pittance and live in bad circumstances to work 'off the books'. They are exploited by those criminals because they are illegals and thus normal people don't get employed. When the system of visas and immigration etc is messed up - and this £3000 bond will mess it up more - expect to see a black market that caters and exploits those who cannot meet the criteria.

Comment

Snapper,

You think UK Embassies didn't/don't ask for travel insurance when people apply for visas?

I can assure you it is was the case when I applied for one. All EU countries did the same. Not sure what's the procedure for student/working visas, tho.
                    No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Originally posted by Doktor View Post
                      You think UK Embassies didn't/don't ask for travel insurance when people apply for visas?
                      Exactly, assuming they even get the visa in the first place. If they got the visa and you don't get it easily unless you can show you have a reason to return and show adequate funds for the duration of the stay.

I'm a bit perplexed as to the motive behind this. Somebody who intends to overstay isn't going to be worried about this bond. They'll make it back some way or another. I think its for people that are not interested in going illegal but legal people that delay to go back for some reason or another. An 'overstay' is a broad term. Or think of it this way, if you increase the cost to go to the UK, then its discourages people that would have gone from coming. So its not about overstay but trying to reduce the flow at the origin. Raises the barrier of entry.

Affecting business is right.

Health tourism is a bit of a laugh when Brits themselves have to wait in a queue to get an operation. Some of them hop on a plane and come over to my country to get around it and still get reimbursed.
                      Last edited by Double Edge; 31 Jul 13,, 08:29.

Comment

I see no reason for an extra £3000 bond if a visitor has sufficient insurance while visiting the UK or any nation. Anything above that requirement is contrary to the nations interests in my view. Another example of Government wanting to be seen to 'do something' and making a hash of it. If people exceed their travel visas then it's the job of the authorities to expel them without questions being asked when they are found. If they fail in this regard then they can't blame the visitor who's flight home is delayed by 12 hrs for example and so swipe his/her bond. We should welcome visitors not impose over priced financial restrictions. Those who wish to stay illegally will as DE says either avoid the bond or ignore it's loss. This will only hurt on the genuine visitor who comes on business or for pleasure.

Comment

Time to make Briton pay for it, by making them jump over hoops for Indian Visa's, There way too many Brits visiting India now a days.

Comment

Originally posted by Blademaster View Post
                            Our own domestic companies will scream and howl. Companies with manufacturing or service bases in India lobby clients in the US, EU and elsewhere to do site visits. This is going to cut into that.
                            "Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" ~ Epicurus

Comment

Originally posted by troung View Post
                              It wasn't a third worlders over staying a Visa issue - more of "gallant martial races" fleeing in terror at the sight of red coats.

And ain't a "we" I would imagine as ironically you don't live in India
                              You re really a dumbass, aren't ya? Read the history of India and you will see that it wasn't redcoats but British hiring indian mercenaries to do the fighting and taking the credit for you.

You keep sniping about me not living in India. What is it to you? Why does the fact that I don't live in India have a bug up your ass?

Comment

Working...
                              X