Review: R.I.P.D.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Review: R.I.P.D.

I went to see this movie on Saturday afternoon. Even Matinee was frickin' $11!!!

Anyhow, the short and sweet review is: Skip It!

The movie had potential. It's like Men In Black, except instead of sharply dressed government agents containing aliens, we have undead police from the afterlife looking for fugitive undead.

What this movie lacked was the dry humor of Tommy Lee Jones and the comedic acting of Will Smith in a completely off the wall setup of the original MIB movie. A deadpan Jones trying to make total absurdity a fact of life was funny. Smith reacting to such nonsense was funny. The 2 had chemistry.

RIPD was not that.

Jeff Bridges portrayed a lawman from the 19th century American west. That folksy talk or the supposed western jargon was kinda funny, but not quite.

Ryan Reynolds was no Will Smith. He was trying to be funny, but either the script went kaput or his delivery did. Or maybe it was not meant to be funny to begin with. I wasn't sure.

The 2 characters didn't have much chemistry together. They didn't sound like they were conversing with each other but rather they were delivering their lines separately and edited together.

Bridges' character was supposed to be perceived by normal humans as a hot blonde chick. Reynolds' character was supposed to look like an old Chinese guy. The movie could have been funnier if more scenes were done by these 2 characters rather than Bridges and Reynolds. Some hot blonde chick spouting old western jargons in a completely chauvinistic way would be funny. An old Chinese guy chasing monsters with a banana would be funny. But I suppose the production team wanted to use Bridges and Reynolds as the face of the movie rather than Marisa Miller (I don't personally find her to be that hot) and James Hong (he was funny in Balls of Fury).

I'd give this movie a 3 out of 10.

What is wrong with Ryan Reynolds? His last big budget movie "Green Lantern" was also horrible. At least that movie had a promising beginning. It just had a terrible middle and ending. This movie had a weak start, dull middle, and meh ending. And it could have been so much more...
    "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

I thought about seeing it and watched WWZ instead, thank god. BTW, WWZ is an excellent movie. They managed to make an exciting adventure/quest movie out of a Zombie scenario.

As for Ryan Reynolds, yes Green Lantern was terrible too. I don't know what is it about his acting that just seems flat and unexciting. He was hilarious on Top Gear:

Comment

WWZ was good. I watched it 2 weeks ago. It had some good action sequence and decently intense. The only part that was totally illogical, other than zombies, was that the UN gave Brad Pitt a satellite phone so he could call his wife, but otherwise had no communication to his chain of command.

Comment

Originally posted by gunnut View Post
        WWZ was good. I watched it 2 weeks ago. It had some good action sequence and decently intense. The only part that was totally illogical, other than zombies, was that the UN gave Brad Pitt a satellite phone so he could call his wife, but otherwise had no communication to his chain of command.
        His wife was his chain of command. Every man knows that.

Comment

Originally posted by citanon View Post
          His wife was his chain of command. Every man knows that.
          I'm not married...you can tell...:whome:

Comment

Originally posted by gunnut View Post
            I'm not married...you can tell...:whome:
            Well, one just don't thread jack their wives. You either call at appointed time and listen, or you live elsewhere.

Sure we could tell.
            No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Agreed. We went to see this Saturday and it was a bit of a let down. I was expecting Bridges to be a comedic relief but found the cowboy stuff to be old after the first 10 minutes of his appearance. I'd have to agree with the chemistry too, it just wasn't there and I'd have liked to see more of the disguises in action. It did have promise...too bad they couldn't deliver it. Also, Kevin Bacon is a no go for me....

Comment

Working...
              X