This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The hungry super power?

BBC News - Is India's food security bill the magic pill?

"It ranks 65 out of 79 countries on the Global Hunger Index from the International Food Policy Research Institute..... From 2005-2010, India ranked second to last among 129 countries on underweight children, below Ethiopia, Niger, Nepal and Bangladesh."

Holy moly, I know it's bad, I didnt know it is that bad. It's ironic to see Indians on the internet gang up on the Pakistanis on every post (not just WAB, i mean everywhere) as if their people live in better situations.

And GWB was hooked to believe somehow India would be a counter-weight to China?

Holy crap, George was a dumbass.

And I may add, nobody else should be blamed on this. I have heard all kinds of bizarre excuses. "we cannot do one-child policy. we are a democracy. we have bad neighbors". But those are true for lots of African/Asian/Latin Am countries that faired bettter

Indians had 60+ years to get it right. I suspect the ruling class have their priorities wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by cdude View Post
      I suspect the ruling class have their priorities wrong.
      Fair cop guv.
      India's ruling class like the great mass of the people to stay exactly as they are.
      Dirt poor, caste divided, superstition ridden, hungry and desperate. Perfect vote bank material to keep their 'betters' in power.
      For Gallifrey! For Victory! For the end of time itself!!

Comment

It's must be really frustrating, since some time ago someone (I believe DE) posted those photos with all those hills of grain rotting.
        No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Originally posted by Doktor View Post
          It's must be really frustrating, since some time ago someone (I believe DE) posted those photos with all those hills of grain rotting.
          I doubt bad storage method is the only reason that people are starving. Anyways, these kind of news put a dent on the credibility of superpower ambitions.

Comment

What's the rate of people dying from malnutrition/starvation in India?

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Originally posted by cdude View Post
              BBC News - Is India's food security bill the magic pill?

"It ranks 65 out of 79 countries on the Global Hunger Index from the International Food Policy Research Institute..... From 2005-2010, India ranked second to last among 129 countries on underweight children, below Ethiopia, Niger, Nepal and Bangladesh."

Holy moly, I know it's bad, I didnt know it is that bad. It's ironic to see Indians on the internet gang up on the Pakistanis on every post (not just WAB, i mean everywhere) as if their people live in better situations.

And GWB was hooked to believe somehow India would be a counter-weight to China?

Holy crap, George was a dumbass.
              Thread title changed ?

From where you have got this superpower title for India ?

If you want to flame here like 50 cent army does on many forums then sure you will get flames in this very thread.

Comment

Originally posted by bolo121 View Post
                Fair cop guv.
                India's ruling class like the great mass of the people to stay exactly as they are.
                Dirt poor, caste divided, superstition ridden, hungry and desperate. Perfect vote bank material to keep their 'betters' in power.
                So you are saying poverty is stagnant or increasing in India not reducing ?

Comment

Let's keep the discussion elevated and avoid nationalistic chest-thumping and pissing contests.
                  Last edited by Minskaya; 06 Jul 13,, 15:24. Reason: reformatted advisory note
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Minskaya View Post
                    Let's keep the discussion elevated and avoid nationalistic chest-thumping and pissing contests.
                    What OP wants to discuss ?

India a superpower but hungry,

Food security bill passed by GoI,

Or If India is a counter weight to China ?

The poster from China is clearly trolling and you want the thread to go without nationalistic chest-thumping and pissing contest ?

Comment

Originally posted by ambidex View Post
                      The poster from China is clearly trolling and you want the thread to go without nationalistic chest-thumping and pissing contest ?
                      Item 1: Despite an auspicious beginning, there is ample latitude here for quality discussion. But if it degenerates, rest assured it will enjoy limited longevity.

Item 2: Do not play moderator in-thread. If you have concerns, orient them through the proper channels.
                      sigpic

Comment

Item 2: Do not play moderator in-thread. If you have concerns, orient them through the proper channels.
                        Where I have played moderator ?

I have reported the thread, still the original heading of the thread is not changed with the heading of BBC news link.

Comment

Where I have played moderator ?
                          To wit...

The poster from China is clearly trolling...
                          I have reported the thread, still the original heading of the thread is not changed with the heading of BBC news link.
                          To my knowledge, the WAB guidelines do not require a thread title to match a source title.
                          sigpic

Comment

So you are saying poverty is stagnant or increasing in India not reducing ?
                            No silly, read my post again.
                            I was speaking about the rulers attitude towards the ruled.
                            For Gallifrey! For Victory! For the end of time itself!!

Comment

Who said AF people can't wear green?

Comment

Working...
                              X