PDA

View Full Version : Poorman Aero

Versus
03 Jul 13,, 21:57
Here I go, the aircraft building from start to finish- the poor man style. This will be a lengthy thread, for two reasons. First one is that it is a summer here and it is a vacation season, so materials might be a problem if the shop folks are on holiday. Yesterday I went to buy balsa and glue and I found doors closed, but without notices, so I will check tomorrow again. Second reason would be the actual knowledge, since I am learning aerodynamics and fluid dynamic on my own, as well as other things that tag along in standard aircraft building, like static and dynamic in constructions (the part that deals with physical things, like making wing strong and light, but also elastic so that it can withstand forces and moments during all phases of flight), fabrication, materials etc. The idea is to mix theory and practice in order to get solid knowledge about this matter trough trial and error method. In order to make it interesting, I will try to describe this process with great deal of humor but also in a way like I am some sort of serious company, so all phases will be covered, regardless if they are actually important or not for the project.

So without further due, lets start.

Aircraft are very complex machines and it is very important to set the foundation right when attempting to make one. But before continuing, I have to make a small digression.

During my college days, we had drafting classes which created a sort of trauma for me, due to following reasons. First of all, any technical drawing, absolutely depends on coordinate system, meaning that in order to get translations and projections right, the coordinate system must be at 0, at all times. You can do it with rulers and compass, but the best way to set the coordinate system is to actually buy a drafting board, that has fixed sliding rulers. Like this one : http://southeasttrumpet.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/drafting-board.jpg. However, at those times (the age before CAD) these drafting boards were too expensive for me, so my drafting was very painful, since I had to manually draw the coordinate system and than proceed with actual drafting, constantly checking if the lines are parallel. It is needles to say that I spent a lot more time and paper, doing the draft like that and lost a lots of nerves, getting the drawing right. Actually I lost so many nerves that the drafting board became my life nightmare. However, doing those drawings, I've noticed one thing. In case that the coordinate system is set up wrong, if x,y and z are not under 90 degrees (zeroed in), that small error, that is barley noticeable with naked eye, has the tendency to progress trough the drawing and as it progresses it multiplies, leading to the completely messed up result after hours and hours of drawing. Back than, in 1995 I gave it a name : the systemic error. While sobbing over messed up drawing,at late hours, my favorite masochistic exercise was to trace it trough every translation, rotation and projection and each time I've punished myself like that, the cause was always the same, the badly drawn coordinate system, the 90 degrees nightmare. As a mean of compensation, I used thicker lines, so at the end I've managed to pass exams, using my glasses as an excuse for thicker lines. So my technical drawings were accurate but they were never as elegant as ones drawn by wealthier students with drafting boards. Later on, this zero trauma, played the crucial role in shaping up my views at the world and I've found out that, it exists outside the pens and paper world. It exists in real life and it causes the same problems.

So in order to avoid it in this project, initial foundations must be set right.

Aircraft is a product and that product exists because the need for it exists. So an aircraft comes into the physical existence in order to fulfill the needs that created it. Those needs are its reason for existence and they are its purpose.

So what is the purpose of this particular aircraft? Well, since I am learning new things the purpose of this aircraft is to be a trainer and since this is not a copy, yet it is a original design, it is an experimental aircraft.

According to this, it follows that the type of this aircraft is a trainer and that its class is experimental.

So as a trainer and as experimental aircraft, produced by a man with very limited funds and knowledge, its design needs to stress safety that translates to its structural integrity meaning that it has to be durable and easily maintained. Also, since its primary role is to train aka it is used for practice of knowledge, it has to be easily adjustable and upgradable. This means that its construction will be modular. Since the airfield is far away, this aircraft must be hand launched which means that it will be small. When boiled down to actual requirements this means that, structure wise it has to full fill the following characteristics :

1. Low cost
2. Durability
3. Ease of maintenance
4. Modular design
5. Small dimensions

In terms of flight characteristics, if the design succeeds, it is a sail plane, with no control so pretty much all it has to do is to fly stable in one direction and land (preferably in one piece). So the flight requirements would be :

1. Stability in flight.

I've sketched up the initial idea ( this is a very general and rough sketch, dimensions are irrelevant at this stage but they will become more important later on).

See you soon...

Gun Boat
04 Jul 13,, 00:15
Is this going to RC?

Doktor
04 Jul 13,, 07:03
Was wondering the same. Looks too tiny on the frontal drawing.

Versus
04 Jul 13,, 07:48
For the first phase, it will be a pure glider (sailplane) without control. When it passes that phase, control will be added in a gradual fashion, so second phase will be a controlled sailplane and if it passes that, the engine will be added in the third phase. So in a way this project will be an evolution from a free flight to powered flight.

I don't have any experience with building an aircraft or flying one, so adding everything at the start would be an overkill and it will drive the cost up.

Yep Doc, it is small but not tiny. Wingspan is around 30 cm and the length is around 25 cm, but it will grow as the experience and knowledge grows.

Gun Boat
04 Jul 13,, 11:04
My favourite hobby is crashing RC planes and helicopters. I have about 10 wrecks in my spare room and 2 planes and 1 helicopter awaiting crashing.

For scratch building you can't go past hobbyking for all the bits and pieces - so cheap. If you get yourself a good transmitter it can do all your models - you just need to
buy a new receiver for each new model. I have a futaba 6ch and 6ch recievers cost about 5 bucks. Plus you can transplant good parts from wrecks to bring the price
down on your next model.

My dad vomits every time I tell him the price of my latest crash. When he was flying it cost thousands. Now you can do it for under 100. Crashing back in his day brought
about tears - not it's laughter.

Good Luck!

Doktor
04 Jul 13,, 11:20
Long live the Chinese...

for $20 i can airborne and land crash about anything :biggrin:

chanjyj
04 Jul 13,, 11:38
What? $20? Send me the link!

Doktor
04 Jul 13,, 13:59
Next time me and the kid go on a rampage, I will look for a producer's webpage (If I don't forget ;))

Versus
04 Jul 13,, 18:54
We have here hobby king, turnigy, robbe, futaba and couple of others too, most of the stuff is between 30 and 40 euros, that would be 50 to 70 US dollars while servos vary from 5 to 45 US Dollars. But again, prices are ok but my paycheck sucks, but also I am learning with this thing, so that is why I have to be so picky with this project.

chanjyj
04 Jul 13,, 21:40
Next time me and the kid go on a rampage, I will look for a producer's webpage (If I don't forget ;))

Yeah. $20 for anything that can fly without being blown apart by a gust of wind would be amazing.

Versus
05 Jul 13,, 18:57
Further analysis of the design and its application, brings about the question of aspect ratio for the wings. Low aspect ratio in this case would be better choice than the high aspect ratio, because the low aspect ratio wings are more structurally safe although they produce significant induced drag when compared with the high aspect ratio wings. On the other hand high aspect ratio wings give lower induced drag but have more of parasitic drag. In order to reduce the induced drag, winglets will be placed at the tips of the wings and with little luck and skill they will be blended with the wing.
For the fuselage, the initial idea was to drill a hole in which counter weight could be placed, in order to balance the airplane. However, since parameters that determine the weight and overall performance are still unknown, the question of CG needs to be tackled differently. Since the "fuselage" is simply one straight piece of wood, the new idea for the solution of the CG problem is to shape that piece of wood so that it can have sliding guides, on to which the ballast could be suspended and moved. Once the balance is achieved the ballast will be fixed. This will make the building of the fuselage a bit more complex and it also might add the weight but with this system, balancing should be easier and faster.

Also I have a couple of good news, I've managed to find balsa and also an affordable laser cutter.

Gun Boat
05 Jul 13,, 23:17
Further analysis of the design and its application, brings about the question of aspect ratio for the wings. Low aspect ratio in this case would be better choice than the high aspect ratio, because the low aspect ratio wings are more structurally safe although they produce significant induced drag when compared with the high aspect ratio wings. On the other hand high aspect ratio wings give lower induced drag but have more of parasitic drag. In order to reduce the induced drag, winglets will be placed at the tips of the wings and with little luck and skill they will be blended with the wing.
For the fuselage, the initial idea was to drill a hole in which counter weight could be placed, in order to balance the airplane. However, since parameters that determine the weight and overall performance are still unknown, the question of CG needs to be tackled differently. Since the "fuselage" is simply one straight piece of wood, the new idea for the solution of the CG problem is to shape that piece of wood so that it can have sliding guides, on to which the ballast could be suspended and moved. Once the balance is achieved the ballast will be fixed. This will make the building of the fuselage a bit more complex and it also might add the weight but with this system, balancing should be easier and faster.

Also I have a couple of good news, I've managed to find balsa and also an affordable laser cutter.

Laser cutter?!?!? I thought you were doing it on the cheap!

With my crash victims I try and make the CG 1/3 the length of the wing from the leading edge. Seems to work alright.

I assume your doing balsa frame with heat shrink covering?

Versus
06 Jul 13,, 08:12
Laser cutter?!?!? I thought you were doing it on the cheap!

With my crash victims I try and make the CG 1/3 the length of the wing from the leading edge. Seems to work alright.

I assume your doing balsa frame with heat shrink covering?

The one I've found, that shop charges 30 euros per hour for cutting so this will be the greatest cost in the project at this stage. I would do it manually but due to the size of the aircraft, I don't have the tools that can do it at that scale (they are too bulky and more suitable for the bigger things). As for CG, it usually sits there but since I don't know exactly how heavy and how big this design will be, this option should provide good results. For the fuselage and the cg adjustment, that is a problem, the airplane is small so weight is the biggest problem. The only solution I can think of at this stage, is to use tube for the fuselage and than go trough it with the ballast.

Anyhow at the end, this is the scale I am looking for for the final rc model. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0uPXqpvymg

Versus
26 Jul 13,, 22:47
Materials have been bought, balsa and some sort of compressed foam that can be sanded and hot glued, so pretty much the stuff for the airframe is there. New problem accrued however and that is the machine for foam cutting. CNC set up would be ideal, but my thin paycheck can't allow that so I have to deal with this. Preliminary design of the machine has been conjured in my mind and the materials for its construction are there, so during the next week the construction will began.

Doktor
26 Jul 13,, 23:08
:pop:

Let the games begin, says I.

Versus
02 Aug 13,, 23:09
:pop:

Let the games begin, says I.

Tomorrow, my good Doctor. It will start with the revision of the design and than the mockup build up. Have to follow the steps.

Versus
14 Aug 13,, 19:14
Unfortunately, the combination of heat wave and my crew's wish to transfer the game to full 3D drained all my time and energy for this project. However, this is just the temporary drawback, this project is not dead in the water (nor it will be, the thing will fly, that is for sure, one way or another).

Versus
26 Aug 13,, 18:12
This is more refined drawing of the airplane. I will let it "sit" for a day or two and if I am still satisfied with it, I will start calculations of the basic parameters. The anhedral or dihedral, which looks more appropriate since it is a high wing, angle will be added in the final drawing, before drafting.

Doktor
26 Aug 13,, 18:16
We do it for less... :biggrin:

Aryajet
31 Aug 13,, 15:37
What? $20? Send me the link!

Here it is, every thing you need to start flying in a box for under $95. You only need few AA batteries.

Tex RC 182 Sky Trainer 3 Channel Ready to Fly RTF 2.4ghz Wingspan 700mm (http://www.nitroplanes.com/95a381-21801-cess-182-rtf-24g.html)

Also check ou their other products

NitroPlanes.com

Aryajet
31 Aug 13,, 15:54
This is more refined drawing of the airplane. I will let it "sit" for a day or two and if I am still satisfied with it, I will start calculations of the basic parameters. The anhedral or dihedral, which looks more appropriate since it is a high wing, angle will be added in the final drawing, before drafting.

I suggest for the start you make it High wing with dihedral which will make it self-correcting if either of the wings tilt low or high. Also for the start I would disregard winglets. It will make it difficult to handle cross-wind.

Also drop the one piece fuselage Idea. Build it with balsa sticks using CA glue then cover it with tissue or heat shrink covering. It will be much lighter.
BTW: Your GC always need to be on or very close to wing main spar.

Aryajet
31 Aug 13,, 20:08
Versus,
You can convert your pistol grip soldering gun to a low cost and practical foam cutter.

It will look like this:

Also you can find the how to and needed material Here (http://www.instructables.com/id/Foam-cutter-from-soldering-iron//)

Versus
03 Sep 13,, 12:12
Here is the 3D sketch of the airframe.

Versus
03 Sep 13,, 12:18
Versus,
You can convert your pistol grip soldering gun to a low cost and practical foam cutter.

It will look like this:

Also you can find the how to and needed material Here (http://www.instructables.com/id/Foam-cutter-from-soldering-iron//)

I had the similar idea for the hand held foam cutter, mine looks more like potato skin "piler" for the smaller curves. For the bigger ones, I am planning to make something like router but with manual control. Good thing is that the heat is finally over and my workload is lighter these days so I am working on this project with the increased paste. Thanks for the advices, I will post the pictures of the machines once they are completed (within a week or so).

Versus
03 Sep 13,, 12:20
I suggest for the start you make it High wing with dihedral which will make it self-correcting if either of the wings tilt low or high. Also for the start I would disregard winglets. It will make it difficult to handle cross-wind.

Also drop the one piece fuselage Idea. Build it with balsa sticks using CA glue then cover it with tissue or heat shrink covering. It will be much lighter.
BTW: Your GC always need to be on or very close to wing main spar.

Yes most certainly it will be a section construction based rather than a straight piece of wood. It will be a lot easier to make modules that way although the construction of sections might prove to be a bit tricky.

Versus
03 Sep 13,, 12:38
Here it is, every thing you need to start flying in a box for under $95. You only need few AA batteries.

Tex RC 182 Sky Trainer 3 Channel Ready to Fly RTF 2.4ghz Wingspan 700mm (http://www.nitroplanes.com/95a381-21801-cess-182-rtf-24g.html)

Also check ou their other products

NitroPlanes.com

We have them here, the nitroplanes products, but with custom added and the taxes their price is way above of what I can afford with the current paycheck. Also the radio stations are way to expensive for me right now. That is why I decided to go with building from scratch. Other reason is that I am learning the fluid mechanics, finite elements and other things needed for aircraft construction so this project is not only a fun or a hobby yet it is a bit more serious project. Here we have a need for small UAV (although that need is not realized by the govt) in order to watch on wild fires, flooding, illegal woodcutting, illegal disposal of toxic chemicals and garbage and especially poachers since all these things present a huge danger for the domestic wildlife and eco system. Hopefully this project will evolve into a more serious thing in order to draw investors for the full scale UAV and its production.

Versus
03 Sep 13,, 15:57
As far as winglets, well they are optional, since I've figured out that I can't blend them with the rest of the wings, so they will be modular.

Versus
03 Sep 13,, 21:19
I think that this one is the one that will go. No fancy curves, no fancy complex polyhedral's just plain and simple. Now, lets go to the abysmal world of partial and differential equations...Shrug!

Versus
08 Sep 13,, 13:47
And some real life photos, but they are not that interesting. I've made a test yesterday with the hot glue, since I wasn't sure will it stick to the kind of insulation foam we have here. But it did and the bond is very strong (but not on a load bearing scale). Than I did a couple of "static and dynamic tests" (mainly meaning trying to separate two pieces of the foam by hand, twisting the pencil between two palms, with the foam attached to it (centrifugal or g force test)...). After these caveman tests, I came to conclusion that this foam and this hot glue will do the trick for the future and also our cat approved the tests as it watched every move of the foam during the testing. So now the materials are solved and, to large extent,the manufacturing process. Since this model will evolve into fully controllable RC later in the game, a couple of issues arise. First of all, as I said before, the construction will be modular. However, the batteries and the electronics are fairly standard and since they are necessary for the RC as well as the engine mount, these two sections will be defined first. So in the next post I will deal with the fuselage (actually making it). Also I've manage to find relatively simplified formulas for this so hopefully this project will move at a faster pace from now on.

Slowly but surely, its coming to life.:Dancing-Banana:

Versus
10 Sep 13,, 08:40
The 1st skirmish with the math behind the design.

Doktor
10 Sep 13,, 11:53
The 1st skirmish with the math behind the design.

Explains the cats' numb expression in the previous post :biggrin:

P.S. I know you Serbs have this abilities to travel trough time and space, but november 2013?

Versus
13 Sep 13,, 22:49
Explains the cats' numb expression in the previous post :biggrin:

P.S. I know you Serbs have this abilities to travel trough time and space, but november 2013?

That is the demo release date, for our game.

Versus
16 Sep 13,, 19:18
Super good news, a new shop with RC parts has been opened in the city, so I don't have to travel 150 miles in order to buy a servo that costs 5 bucks....It appears that I will be able to catch the last days of good weather for the test flight. :)

Doktor
16 Sep 13,, 20:55
150 miles?

Last good days? Like, mmm, the end of October?

Versus
20 Sep 13,, 12:47
This is the test for the foil building technique. Layered pieces of paper are cut in the shape of the airfoil and printed on to the polymer mold. The mold is made out of modeling polymer (bioline) that hardens when exposed to the temperatures greater than 100 degrees Celsius. At the end this should produce unified shapes that can be replicated and used either as a mold for casting wing cross sections or as a guide for cutting them out of balsa. This foil is for the fan blade for the fanwing design that will come later on (these two are not the same designs). Once the shape is solid it can be sanded until it is smooth enough for further usage.

Versus
26 Sep 13,, 20:01
It appears that the practice with the layered paper paid off and it paid off by "returning" the motor skills to my hands (from typing and clicking right mouse button to actually doing something physical). These are the foils and my attempt to even the curvature with sand paper. By taping the foils together and cutting off the part for the trailing edge (that will be added later) I was able to even the length of the airfoils. However the errors on the leading edge emerged right away. So I've started to sand them and during that process I've found out that the tape, can be used as a "mask" for the areas that you want to keep intact. So once the leading edge is finished (I know that it is not done by the book) I will continue to sand the rest of the airfoil until it becomes reasonably useful. Than I will drill and cut holes for the spars and glue the foils onto them. Hopefully by the end of the week, the wings will be finished.

Versus
29 Sep 13,, 09:32
This is a sort of more precise sketch of the wing. Unfortunately the method I thought that it will work, doesn't so I will build the wing in the traditional fashion. This one goes into the CAD program for real drafting where it will be adjusted and printed as a plan for building.

Versus
02 Oct 13,, 19:32
After ruining couple pieces of balsa, I've decided to practice more with the layered paper and build the paper mock up of the airframe. This is the tail with the rudder and the frames for the horizontal stabilizers. The mockup should provide me with the clearer picture of the whole thing and highlight areas for improvement.

Doktor
02 Oct 13,, 19:36
Are you making a B-52?

Versus
02 Oct 13,, 21:05
Are you making a B-52?

No no that is too advanced for me right now. This is the glider that will evolve into powered plane. This will be something like Bleriot XI at the end.

Versus
01 Jan 14,, 21:02
I see weeds growing on my project, darn work. However, I did a little experiment with the materials and it seems that I am on the right track, this time with the sludge made out of melted Styrofoam in acetone. I will try to glue it once it is solid and if that works, this project will end pretty soon. And it will be more interesting.Much much more interesting.

Versus
02 Jan 14,, 23:09
Foam is melted and the sludge is in the mold. In couple of days we will see what will come out of it. So far it looks like a monster from "the Blob" movie. Literary it looks like that.

Versus
03 Jan 14,, 08:48
Aaaand an epic fail, the sludge dissolved the polymer mold. Back to the drawing board.

Versus
27 Feb 14,, 20:17
Well in the past few months, work has been very hectic so I didn't had the time to tackle this project (in a presentable form anyway). However I did a lots of experiments with materials and that was very interesting, cause at the end, I was able to conjure some sort of primitive composite, made out of wood glue, paper, acrylic shine and wood dust that is both light and strong. Big plus is that it can be painted. The last tool that I need is a hot knife for the foam and that will be completed next month.

I will keep updating when something significant happens.

Aryajet
02 May 14,, 04:18
Well in the past few months, work has been very hectic so I didn't had the time to tackle this project (in a presentable form anyway). However I did a lots of experiments with materials and that was very interesting, cause at the end, I was able to conjure some sort of primitive composite, made out of wood glue, paper, acrylic shine and wood dust that is both light and strong. Big plus is that it can be painted. The last tool that I need is a hot knife for the foam and that will be completed next month.

I will keep updating when something significant happens.

Why not use blue Styrofoam (compressed foam) instead? You can even use white Styrofoam ( disposable Ice Chest) if the supplies are scares.

How is the project going btw?

Versus
05 Jul 14,, 14:51
Why not use blue Styrofoam (compressed foam) instead? You can even use white Styrofoam ( disposable Ice Chest) if the supplies are scares.

How is the project going btw?

The project is finished in terms of calculations and design, which is a good thing. The bad thing is that now we are busy constructing the machines that should help with the manufactureing and testing. But today I finally bought the 60 W transformers so that I can make hot wire knives.

It has been going very slow, because of the work, I mean my real job, and the freelance jobs I had to take in order to finance all this, but soon I will post updates, especially after hot wire knives are constructed. There will be three of them, one is small, freehand tool that will be used for small surface curvatures and cuts, other one is linear for large sheet cutting and the third one is the most complex (and most costly) as it is actually an CNC router. To make matters worse, my CFD license expired, so now I need to make a wind tunnel as well and all that costs a lots of money and time, hence...delays and slow ups. But the major win is that I was able to make a deal with the woodcutter so I will get discount for the laser cutting in exchange for designing the mirror frames for him. Yay.

Versus
06 Jul 14,, 23:23
IT WORKS!!! YAY!!!! Things will get very interesting quite soon.

Versus
25 Jul 14,, 09:06
So in order to stay away from inclusive exclusive concepts and logic, lets make a small break into applied physics and math. Weekend is scheduled for the building the wingzzzzz.

Aryajet
22 Aug 14,, 21:03
So in order to stay away from inclusive exclusive concepts and logic, lets make a small break into applied physics and math. Weekend is scheduled for the building the wingzzzzz.

If I don't see any picture, it didn't happen. :biggrin:

Versus
01 Mar 15,, 18:31
Saga continues....

Versus
01 Mar 15,, 19:33
Well, things were going fine, the specs have been calculated and everything was fine as far as theoretical and analytical part of this project goes. Problems accrued with the parts and components as some key components were not available or were out of the price range. So a lot of adjustments and changes were made in the design, one of them being the EDF propulsion (due to problems with the parts for the outrunner prop configuration). But at the end, I've decided to bite the bullet and go with the low KV outrunner motor, instead of EDF, although it is fairly expensive. The ESC has the SBEC and it is 45 Amps one from Turingy. Programming card is expected to arrive next month. For the Rx/Tx I've chosen Turingy also, 6 ch FHSS at standard 2.4 Ghz which is due to arrive next month also. In addition, cheaper Riccs station will be used as a flight simulator. Servos are I guess standard, analog micro from hobby king with fairly reasonable torque so I think they will be fine since this will be fairly slow bird and not very maneuverable (acrobatic). Also experiments with the materials yielded good results as I've learned how to make foam boards plastic so that they can bend without breaking. Also several hot knives were made, two static and two hand held. As a special treat an CNC foam cutter is in the works for later projects.

Versus
03 Mar 15,, 10:37
Ferite cores are ordered, to neutralize noise and assure smooth running of the servos, silicone battery casing for the li-po pack and some stuff for the workbench.

Doktor
03 Mar 15,, 20:20
Mate, with this tempo you'll reach Boeing or LM engineer's pace. :biggrin:

Versus
14 Mar 15,, 19:05
Have no fear, simulator is here.

Aaand with 40 euros less in my pocket, Tx+software+cables, this thing is super fun to use and it saves so much money for training. Of course,nothing can beat the real thing, but for basic coordination its second to none. I will knock myself out from virtual flying and training...Need to get ready for the spring time.

Versus
14 Mar 15,, 19:07
Mate, with this tempo you'll reach Boeing or LM engineer's pace. :biggrin:

Well yea, but I would like to see them making something with 500$ budget. We are talking hundreds, not millions or billions. This sum is not for aircraft only, its for maintenance and machining, materials,training etc...But still, it is not enough to wash out the sadness from the last night's tragedy :(

Versus
15 Mar 15,, 12:14
Well, this is odd, from all the airplanes supported by the simulator, I've bonded flawlessly with this one. Flying it, it feels like a part of me...Second is A-10 jet powered and some glow engine low wing trainer. Hardest ones to fly are canard configurations.

Versus
16 Mar 15,, 15:33
Here is the first training video of the fourth day of virtual flight school. Its a bit crummy because of the recorder, but I will figure out better solution for the next videos.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dENk6R4NmdY&feature=youtu.be

Versus
16 Mar 15,, 16:37
Gee Bee, insane take off and landing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klQ7UH32kvo&feature=youtu.be

Versus
16 Mar 15,, 17:56
And for the end, A-10, turbine powered. It was super intense, especially while landing, almost stalled out once, but at the end I was able to land it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7eJUQDraet0&feature=youtu.be

Versus
18 Mar 15,, 20:38
Question for the RC branch here. Since this model will carry telemetry and I have two options, Spektrum and Futaba, which one to chose?. There is also one brand, Eagle Tree which offers telemetry within a reasonable price range, but I don't know its compatibility with the Rx systems. Any help? Turingy solution was abandoned as their stations that have telemetry are not available here.

Versus
20 Mar 15,, 13:17
Ok, electronics and engine are here, what is missing is battery with the charger, new prop to accommodate new engine, wiring and wheel struts. I've realized that this approach, sort of reverse engineering, sets limits for the "abstract" design process of the air frame construction, might be right way to go since now I have one very important factor fixed and that is weight. Anyhow, this is drawing to a close, so I think that next month, when the battery and the charger arrive I will start actual airframe construction.

Versus
16 Jul 15,, 21:25
Wab is back right on time, the assembly begins next week.

Versus
25 Jul 15,, 14:24
No luck, the laser cutter guys are on vacation so I will use the time to re check the design. Unfortunately the weight problem, that I thought to be solved, turned out to be quite a danger for the structural part of the airframe so I had to go with the new motor. It fits the prop I bought and a big plus is that this motor can be turned into a pusher which will save the money on other projects.

Versus
25 Jul 15,, 14:41
Big bummer was that, due to materials, the initial idea to slowly move from a powered glider to a "normal" plane didn't worked so I had to go straight to the powered flight. The aircraft will be 500 class one. Engine itself produces little over 4 pounds of thrust with 10/6, 3 pale prop.

Versus
25 Jul 15,, 14:47
The air foil that I was able to cook up for this project. It has a decent lift between 2-4 AOA degrees

Versus
25 Jul 15,, 14:53
And for the next madness...he he he he Things will get seriously mad.

Versus
01 Oct 15,, 14:36
I am in the middle of actual CAD modeling of the bird and everything is fine, the maiden flight is scheduled for the 24-27th, this month. I will post pictures of actual making once I finish the drafting.
Until than, here is some serious work from other guys.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZeL3LhrmeME

Versus
22 Dec 15,, 16:53
By the same time when the FAA dropped legislative measure http://hackaday.com/2015/12/21/heres-the-reason-the-faas-drone-registration-system-doesnt-make-sense/ our lawmakers brought the same one which will be adopted next year, limiting the weight to one pound. Americans got luckier, as they got 2 pounds limitation. Mo money,mo money,mo money...the bureaucracy God wants mo money.

Versus
03 Jan 16,, 11:19
For next project I bought a cheap 55 mm EDF engine and while eating pudding I found out that it fits perfectly as an exhaust nozzle for the jet, thus making it a pudding jet. Simple life hacks, hehe. But we will see if it decrease or increase the trust once the engine is rigged but for now it looks kind of cool.

Versus
03 Jan 16,, 12:09
I am sorry for this project, it drags for far too long, but I am unable to find any free time because of work. But now I do have some free days, due to holidays so I will post the prop updates.

FJV
03 Jan 16,, 14:46
I am sorry for this project, it drags for far too long, but I am unable to find any free time because of work. But now I do have some free days, due to holidays so I will post the prop updates.

I'm not judging.

Everytime I start a large hobby projects, things at work become hectic so that time and energy become a scarce commodity, Which is kindof a good thing careerwise, though.

There are plenty of modellers with the same problem that have a storage room full of unbuilt kits.

Versus
03 Jan 16,, 17:16
I'm not judging.

Everytime I start a large hobby projects, things at work become hectic so that time and energy become a scarce commodity, Which is kindof a good thing careerwise, though.

There are plenty of modellers with the same problem that have a storage room full of unbuilt kits.

Yea, at first I had low paid job (well actually it wasn't low paid, were working for less hours) so I had the time but not the money for the parts. Now, I am cranking more hours and have more money for the parts but almost no time to dedicate to this project. Sucks, big time...

Versus
02 Feb 16,, 21:23
I went to a Bank to pay my internet bill today and decided to have fun with them, by asking for a credit for airplane development. Poor woman was so happy to see me and thrilled when I said magic words ( I would like ask you for some money) but when she heard the reason, oh my God, that look on her face...Priceless. She was like a humanoid droid that had a short circuit. Customer wants money? yes/no? yes, proceed to next level, ask for credit purpose?Research/Development. Error 404, category development-unknown, category research-unknown,call security yes/no.

I laughed all the way as I went home.

Ahhh, bankers, they are never boring.

Versus
13 Feb 16,, 22:52
Our aviation authorities adopted an draconian set of rules, severely limiting the RC hobby. It all started after that idiotic drone incident with the Albanian soccer team, when their fans brought the drone to the game and launched it, carrying the flag of Great Albania. That created huge commotion among our aviation authority and prompting them to make new rules for flying RC airplanes and "drones". Usual thing was the registration followed with the exam to get a license. Of course this all costs money, but to make matters worse, every flying object has to be inspected by the military authorities in their flight research center in order to determine if the flying object represents the threat or not.
But who cares I am going with my projects, regardless of the regulations. I got all the parts and logistic equipment, mainly for the batteries. The only thing that I am missing now is stupid time.

Problems problems always problems.

Versus
24 Jun 16,, 22:57
Bogus wind tunnel test but it works, airfoil that I designed was actually able to create lift and maintain it in the turbulent airflow. Horray, I have another block in my puzzle.
Here it is, in flight.