Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

McDonald's Israel Refuses To Open In Jewish Settlement In Protest Of Israeli Policy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• McDonald's Israel Refuses To Open In Jewish Settlement In Protest Of Israeli Policy

JERUSALEM -- The Israeli branch of McDonald's says it won't open a restaurant in a Jewish settlement to protest Israel settlement policy.

Irina Shalmor, spokeswoman for McDonald's Israel, said the owners of a planned mall in the Ariel settlement asked McDonald's to open a branch there about six months ago. The chain refused because it is the policy of McDonald's Israel's owner to stay out of the occupied territories.

The decision was not coordinated with McDonald's headquarters in the U.S., she said.

Israeli lawmakers have protested the decision, reported in local media Thursday. One says she'll boycott the chain.

Tzahi Nehimias, co-owner of the mall, says Burger King and an Israeli burger chain both offered to open branches at the mall.

McDonald's Israel Refuses To Open In Jewish Settlement In Protest Of Israeli Policy

- - - - - - - -

If I was Israeli, I'd certainly had mixed feelings about this, from biz going into politics, to thank God not another M.
    No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Meh, their business, their decision. Given their rather dubious status as one of the most visible and widespread examples of "everything that's wrong with the West", I can see why they'd want to take this stance.

Comment

The settlement has a population of 18,000 according to Wikipedia. The wider catchment area includes about 80,000 settlers and 120,000 refugees in camps according to Haaretz. Wouldn't warrant a McDonalds here sizewise either. Not enough money to be made. Average population density in Israel is 47,000 per McDonalds.

Nehimias said other international companies who were asked to open a branch at the mall also declined, but none cited the mall's location in a settlement as a reason. He declined to identify the other companies.
      That part sounds quite a bit different here: McDonald's 'Not Lovin' it' in West Bank Settlement of Ariel - IBTimes UK :

"The mediators told us that branches operating abroad and other companies holding rights in Israel for international brand names are worried about the potential negative response toward their businesses [from consumers] abroad if they open shops in the mall," Nahmias told Calcalist newspaper.
      Edit:

On a side note, both these articles and oddly other US press make it sound like this is an already established mall. The mall isn't even built yet, it's planned to open in two years (or, according to Haaretz, in "late 2014"). Whether it will be built at all is an entirely different story. The mall project was first planned around 2008 (when Rami Levy and Mega Or bought the estate), reannounced in 2011 and now reannounced again last month. They're trying to lure in stores with low rental costs (by Israeli or European standards; by US standards they're freaking high).
      Last edited by kato; 27 Jun 13,, 21:15.

Comment

Originally posted by Doktor View Post
        If I was Israeli, I'd certainly had mixed feelings about this, from biz going into politics, to thank God not another M.
        Says something about their customers ?

Comment

McDonalds has suffered serious backlash over the move. There are many a boycott threat, and loads of people have pledged never to eat at McDonalds again. Considering the "food" is shite anyway, that isn't too hard, but still, it'll hurt them in the long run.

The move is not surprising, considering that the owner of the restaurant chain here in Israel is also one of the founders of "Peace" Now
          Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

Burger King & Wendy's FTW

Originally posted by bigross86 View Post
            McDonalds has suffered serious backlash over the move. There are many a boycott threat, and loads of people have pledged never to eat at McDonalds again. Considering the "food" is shite anyway, that isn't too hard, but still, it'll hurt them in the long run.

The move is not surprising, considering that the owner of the restaurant chain here in Israel is also one of the founders of "Peace" Now
            Easy for adults not so easy to explain for parents to their kiddies why they can't go to Mickie D's any more.

Is there a better way to shut up screaming brats than take them Mc'Ds ?

I bet their biggest customers are the little people.
            Last edited by Double Edge; 28 Jun 13,, 16:34.

Comment

Another thing I forgot to mention is that what many people don't remember is that McDonalds boycotted Israel until 1993, under Arab pressure. If they caved to Arab pressure once, it makes sense that they'd do it again. I don't know if the McDonalds home office is aware of this move and the implications, but they've gotten loads of negative press here in Israel, stating things including that McDonalds doesn't draw international borders, and that if McDonalds is gonna boycott Ariel, the rest of Israel will boycott McDonalds.

Easy for adults not so easy to explain for parents to their kiddies why they can't go to Mickie D's any more.

Is there a better way to shut up screaming brats than take them Mc'Ds ?

I bet their biggest customers are the little people.
              McDonalds isn't as rooted in the public consciousness here as it is in the US. Here we also have Burger King and the homegrown variety, Burger Ranch.

It's interesting to note that the same human rights loving McDonalds also recently took steps against their own employees unionizing, something that Burger Ranch, their main competition, openly welcomed. In the short term I see McDonalds taking a hit by many of the right-wing and center Israelis that stop taking their kids and/or eat themselves at McDonalds, and I see Burger Ranch/King (Pretty sure Ranch bought the King franchise a couple years back) seeing a proportional rise in market share. In the long run I also see McDonalds taking a hit from this.

Attached Files
              Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

Another thing I forgot to mention is that what many people don't remember is that McDonalds boycotted Israel until 1993, under Arab pressure. If they caved to Arab pressure once, it makes sense that they'd do it again. I don't know if the McDonalds home office is aware of this move and the implications, but they've gotten loads of negative press here in Israel, stating things including that McDonalds doesn't draw international borders, and that if McDonalds is gonna boycott Ariel, the rest of Israel will boycott McDonalds.
                I think McD's works on a franchisee model, in that case the home office does not get a say

McDonalds isn't as rooted in the public consciousness here as it is in the US. Here we also have Burger King and the homegrown variety, Burger Ranch.
                Are you kidding ? McD's appeals to all kids not just Americans.

It's interesting to note that the same human rights loving McDonalds also recently took steps against their own employees unionizing, something that Burger Ranch, their main competition, openly welcomed. In the short term I see McDonalds taking a hit by many of the right-wing and center Israelis that stop taking their kids and/or eat themselves at McDonalds, and I see Burger Ranch/King (Pretty sure Ranch bought the King franchise a couple years back) seeing a proportional rise in market share. In the long run I also see McDonalds taking a hit from this.
                Pfft, believe it when i see it.

Mcd's will open in those settlements and all this hoopla will be over soon.

It was a great publicity stunt wasn't it, Mr. communications

Got the right wing to unwittingly play along FOR FREE.
                Last edited by Double Edge; 28 Jun 13,, 18:13.

Comment

And people are upset why? I'm pretty sure McDonalds isn't kosher to begin with and to end with their food is down right disgusting anyway. I'd say people in Israel will probably outlive us because they don't have a McDonalds...

Comment

Originally posted by Ahnuy View Post
                    And people are upset why? I'm pretty sure McDonalds isn't kosher to begin with and to end with their food is down right disgusting anyway. I'd say people in Israel will probably outlive us because they don't have a McDonalds...
                    I'm pretty sure McDonalds in Israel would have kosher options, if not an entirely kosher menu.

Comment

Originally posted by cataphract View Post
                      I'm pretty sure McDonalds in Israel would have kosher options, if not an entirely kosher menu.
                      McDonalds in Israel has 40 (out of 170) restaurants that are kosher.

There's no such thing as kosher options / a kosher menu, it also depends on how the kitchen is organized among other things - can't use a kitchen in which you also make Cheeseburgers for example.

(Pretty sure Ranch bought the King franchise a couple years back)
                      After the government prevented McDonalds Israel from taking over Burger King Israel when they went bankrupt... there's still almost twice as many McDs as Burger Ranch restaurants in Israel btw.

if McDonalds is gonna boycott Ariel, the rest of Israel will boycott McDonalds.
                      Do rightwing Israelis realize that the settlement initiative is viewed negatively in other countries? And i'm not talking about Arab countries there.

Comment

And people wonder why obesity is so endemic in the West. I never eat fast-food. That garbage plumps you up and eventually kills you.
                        sigpic

Comment

I started boycotting McDonalds the first time I tasted one of their burgers over 30 years ago. I actually can't eat a meal if someone next to me has Maccas - it smells so vile it puts me off my food. In fact, it just doesn't smell like food.

It's interesting to note that the same human rights loving McDonalds also recently took steps against their own employees unionizing, something that Burger Ranch, their main competition, openly welcomed.
                          Nice to see someone else here agree that the ability to unionize is a human right. Now, if only we could convince America.
                          sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

I'm not necessarily agreeing that it's a human right, it merely points to the company's hypocrisy. They care so much about the Palestinians, but trample on and couldn't give a rat fuck about their own workers.

Comment

but trample on and couldn't give a rat fuck about their own workers.
                              With few exceptions that describes corporate America pretty well.
                              Removing a single turd from the cesspool doesn't make any difference.

Comment

Working...
                              X