X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snowden departs HK

Hong Kong says Snowden has left the country
    June 23, 2013

HONG KONG — The Hong Kong government said that a former National Security Agency contractor wanted by the U.S. for revealing two highly classified surveillance programs has left for a "on his own accord for a third country". The U.S. government had contacted authorities in Hong Kong to seek the extradition of Edward Snowden, the former government contractor accused of espionage for leaking classified information about two secret surveillance programs run by the National Security Agency.

Hong Kong said in a statement that it allowed Snowden to leave despite an extradition request from the U.S. because documents provided by the U.S. government did not "fully comply with the legal requirements under Hong Kong law," and the U.S. had not yet provided the additional information requested to consider the U.S. request for a provisional arrest warrant. It said there was no legal basis to stop Snowden from leaving, and the U.S. had been informed of his departure. Russia Today is reporting Snowden is aboard on Aeroflot flight due to land in Moscow today. Ecuador or Iceland may be potential final destinations.
    Source: USA Today

Seems to me that Hong Kong (or China) has decided to spring Snowden rather than cooperate with the US DoJ.
    sigpic

I wonder what Iceland has to gain by harbouring him.

Comment

Landed in Moscow. Destination believed to be Venezuela or Ecuador.

Comment

Originally posted by snapper View Post
        Landed in Moscow. Destination believed to be Venezuela or Ecuador.
        Another rumored destination is Cuba. From what I understand, Wikileaks is financing his evasions.
        sigpic

Comment

I don't get it, if he really believes what he's doing is for the good of the US, then why does he continue to run? Exposing possible disregard for the Constitution to the American people is one thing (IIRC we have whistleblower laws protecting him in such cases), but running to places like China and Russia just seems too suspicious to merit simple coincidence.

For the sake of him and all of the classified intel in his head, I truly hope this man is the patriot he says he is.
          "Draft beer, not people."

Comment

Originally posted by Red Team View Post
            I don't get it, if he really believes what he's doing is for the good of the US, then why does he continue to run? Exposing possible disregard for the Constitution to the American people is one thing (IIRC we have whistleblower laws protecting him in such cases), but running to places like China and Russia just seems too suspicious to merit simple coincidence.

For the sake of him and all of the classified intel in his head, I truly hope this man is the patriot he says he is.
            I am confused about this guy.

1. Am pretty sure he didn't have to go to Guardian (UK) in the first place. Bet there are US media companies who'd publish the story.
            2. I don't see why he has to run to countries with no respect to privacy, which he tries to protect.
            3. Is he really that (well or ill n/m) informed how US courts would rule his case?
            No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

What ever one believes about the NSA program, I have to say that this guy is looking more and more like a f***ing traitor.

If he had stayed to face prosecution, gone to jail for his believes, then we'd all respect his integrity and patriotism. But he didn't stay. Instead he's going from Hong Kong to Moscow, grand standing and giving out tantalizing hints of our other secrets like some bespectacled Geisha hiking up her Kimono.

That's not patriotism. That's just treason.

Comment

Originally posted by citanon View Post
                What ever one believes about the NSA program, I have to say that this guy is looking more and more like a f***ing traitor.

If he had stayed to face prosecution, gone to jail for his believes, then we'd all respect his integrity and patriotism. But he didn't stay. Instead he's going from Hong Kong to Moscow, grand standing and giving out tantalizing hints of our other secrets like some bespectacled Geisha hiking up her Kimono.

That's not patriotism. That's just treason.
                You hit the nail on the head

Money
                Ideology
                Compromise/Coercion
                Ego/Extortion
                “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

I think he's going to these countries because he knows that they have a vested interest in keeping him safe. Traitorous scum or heroic whistleblower, at the moment his main and prime goal is to stay free and not get tossed behind bars.
                  Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

Ben,

One thing is certain, he is not an ideologist.

We have learned about that type in history books and they never ran away or hided from the problems. Even more, they never cared for their own safety.

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Cut all trade with Ecuador, immigration from there, all tourism to that place and move on.
                      To sit down with these men and deal with them as the representatives of an enlightened and civilized people is to deride ones own dignity and to invite the disaster of their treachery - General Matthew Ridgway

Comment

Considering their export is over 1/3 US oriented, I wonder their actions.

Comment

I'd bet Venzuela.
                          In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

I'd also bet he hasn't finished. The rest of the world views his revelations as to both the US and Britain's spying differently.
                            In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

Originally posted by Parihaka View Post
                              I'd bet Venzuela.
                              Not quite as safe anymore without Sr. Hugo there but still a safer bet than Hong Kong.
                              “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Working...
                              X