X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6k gallons of scotch dumped in truck accident

Cannot believe no one posted this yet.

6,000 Gallons Of Scotch Dumped When Truck Overturns, Catches Fire

A total of 6,000 gallons of Scotch were dumped Tuesday when a tanker truck overturned in an accident in Woodbridge, New Jersey. Fire Chief Dan Gregan of the Fords Fire Company told local media that a B-Line Trucking tanker truck clipped a telephone pole, bounced off a parked Cadillac, and then overturned.

As a result of the accident, either the spill of the diesel fuel or the 6,000 gallons of Scotch itself caught fire. In addition to the fire company, police, Hazmat workers, and the Woodbridge Office of Emergency Management coordinator responded to the scene.

Fortunately, for all concerned, the fire was put out quickly, with no harm done to the mixed residential and commercial neighborhood other than a rather powerful scent of scotch, fuel, and fire. Although the Fords firefighters responded almost instantly from their nearby station and had the fire out within moments before it could spread, township workers needed about six hours to clear the resulting mess.

The truck driver reportedly only had minor injuries. However, he was brought to Raritan Bay Medical Center, Perth Amboy Division to make sure that he’d be OK.

The local police authorities haven’t actually confirmed the identity or brand of the booze in the tanker truck in question, but it’s widely being reported to have been about 6,000 gallons of Scotch.

If true, 6,000 must be an unlucky number for Scotch drinkers. In early March, The Inquisitr reported on a sad story where 6,000 gallons of Chivas Brothers Scotch was accidentally dumped by employees at a bottling plant in Scotland. Ouch.

Read more at 6,000 Gallons Of Scotch Dumped When Truck Overturns, Catches Fire
    Not a good year for you Scotch drinkers

6K gallons of scotch accidentally flushed down drain

Cleaning crew at Chivas bottling plant should have discharged waste water, not whisky.

(Photo: Chivas Brothers)
    The night shift at a Chivas Brothers distillery screwed up this week and accidentally flushed about 6,000 gallons of Scotch whisky down the drain, according to reports from Scotland.

The 80-proof goof happened early Tuesday at a bottling plant in Dumbarton, where workers were cleaning equipment. Instead of purging the wastewater, they instead expelled 18,000 liters of bulk whisky into the local sewage system.

"It was like someone turned on a tap, and it just ran straight down the plughole," an "insider" told The Scottish Sun.

No one at Chivas noticed until 11 a.m., but local sewage crews had gotten a good whiff of the scotch-and-water problem and were attempting to identify the source long before the distiller reported what had happened.

"Discharging large volumes of alcohol into the sewer network can have an adverse impact on wastewater treatment processes, particularly during dry, cold weather," Scottish Water said in a statement, the BBC reported. "We are continuing to closely monitor our Dumbarton wastewater treatment works to ensure treatment has not been compromised."

Chivas Brothers is best known for Chivas Regal and Ballentine's, the second-best-selling scotch in the world.

The company said it was investigating.

Some workers may find themselves on the rocks and reaching for a bottle.

"The guys responsible will be lucky to keep their jobs," the Sun's insider confided.

Whew! The cheap stuff.

Comment

At least the sewers would have got a good cleaning
      In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

Clearly a no smoking zone, but I'm sure after taking it off the rocks, the place was neat, straight up and wry.
        Trust me?
        I'm an economist!

Comment

David,

How's the scotch collection in Asia? A couple years ago, all the low end scotches (the Johnny Walker Reds and the Ballantines) shot up in price. So did all the other scotches because the rumour was that Asia was buying more and more. Thing is I never noticed any noticable stock difference at the single malt level. They're still easy to get though a bit, not much though, more expensive. The JW Red was at the same price as a GLENLEVIT 12 which I found shocking. I would go with the GLENLEVIT even if it's more expensive.

Comment

Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
            David,

How's the scotch collection in Asia? A couple years ago, all the low end scotches (the Johnny Walker Reds and the Ballantines) shot up in price. So did all the other scotches because the rumour was that Asia was buying more and more. Thing is I never noticed any noticable stock difference at the single malt level. They're still easy to get though a bit, not much though, more expensive. The JW Red was at the same price as a GLENLEVIT 12 which I found shocking. I would go with the GLENLEVIT even if it's more expensive.
            Col.,
            Excellent variety if you're willing to pay $60-150 (+++) a bottle. The Glen runs HK$600 (US$68), with tax. I have no idea what blends cost, as I try to avoid polluting my body any more than necessary.
            Trust me?
            I'm an economist!

Comment

Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
              Whew! The cheap stuff.

:tankie:
              Attached Files

Comment

Is it wrong that when I read this all I saw was Ron Burgandy shouting No (Like he did when his dog was kicked on the Coronado bridge). What a shame, but I'm sure clean up was fun.

Comment

Working...
                X